AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and supercharged vehicles in QLD.
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1870 posts
After 5 years of incompetence the Queensland government has finally seen the light and made some more exceptions to its overly strict P Plate laws, you may now be eligible to drive Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles under the following conditions

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

• has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
• has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
• does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.
The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

This means that many cars such as supercharged or turbocharged Mercedes, Audi’s and Volvo’s with great 4 and 5 star Ancap ratings are now available to P Plate drivers.

sauce: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions/High-powered-performance-vehicles.aspx
06:32pm 12/02/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
06:32pm 12/02/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2638 posts
After 5 years of incompetence the Queensland government has finally seen the light and made some more exceptions to its overly strict P Plate laws, you may now be eligible to drive Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles under the following conditions

if this is true it is most probably one of the stupidest government decisions ever. Kids in high powered cars is a big no.
06:33pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1871 posts
if this is true it is most probably one of the stupidest government decisions ever. Kids in high powered cars is a big no.

125kw/t power to weight
06:36pm 12/02/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15153 posts
a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
so 13B or greater
06:37pm 12/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2234 posts
so 13B or greater

no, it means the same as before, 12a, or less, no porting, no turbos

the big move is now the kiddies can go and buy a golf TSi, or a 1.8t audi A4, or that little C Class merc with the little compressor (where they could only buy the more powerful V6 before)

it is a good move going to a power to weight figure, however I think it still would be best to have a lams style approved list, you know to pick up on those odd cars that don't fit into this mould (i.e. currently you can get a golf GTD in the current/old system, yet you can't get an RX8, (which is beaten by the golf hands down)

(also, there was always one turbo petrol they could always get, and that was a smart car)

(on a side, mac keyboard layout sucks!!!)
06:44pm 12/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2360 posts
Much more sensible way to do it.

andrewus, read more.
06:47pm 12/02/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2639 posts
heh read the first line and was like WHAT!?! talk about going backwards..

all makes more sense now ;)
06:48pm 12/02/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16276 posts
Kids in high powered cars is a big no.

lawl any kid in a 6 cylinder commodore or falcon made in the last decade has more than enough power to do stupid shit

you are just buying into the media bullshit if you think otherwise
06:52pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5253 posts
Meh, cars a car to me. If it allows people to get from a to b easier on their P's, so be it. Though aren't most of those cars notorious for "dickheads".
07:12pm 12/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12510 posts
lawl any kid in a 6 cylinder commodore or falcon made in the last decade has more than enough power to do stupid shit

you are just buying into the media bullshit if you think otherwise

could not agree more, sick of the gubberments putting limitations on EVERYTHING trying to protect everyone from themselves and everyone else
they need to take a step back and stop trying to control ever aspect of every single persons life
07:13pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19358 posts
my first car was a TD gemini and it had more than enough power, and less than adequate safety to get any noob driver into trouble. Not all low powered cars are safe.

(on a side, mac keyboard layout sucks!!!)

What's so different from most other keyboards? I'm on a macbook and don't notice much difference to a normal laptop, never used a big mac keyboard though.
07:14pm 12/02/12 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1780 posts
The only people that think it's bad that fuckhead young drivers can't drive overpowered cars are fuckhead young drivers.
07:21pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1872 posts
100% agree with you all.
180kph is 180kph regardless what you drive.

The only people that think it's bad that fuckhead young drivers can't drive overpowered cars are fuckhead young drivers.

your missing the point.
overpowered cars are still restricted.

This is going to confuse the police though. How are they going to enforce this?
Before, a police officer would see a front mount inter cooler and the P-Plate, see you later restricted.

Now, its going to be, P-Plater with front mount.
Whats the car, what is its stock maximum kw output.
What is its stick weight
maths (kw/weight x1000).
Will do their head in.

For example.
A Nissan Skyline R32 GTST produces 123.4 kw from factory.
I reflash the ECU, wind up the boost, Im now pushing 135kw.
I get pulled over from mister policeman, he suspects my car is over the 125kw/t limit gives me a defect notice.
I go back and reflash, wind down my boost so its now under the limit.
Run a dyno proof its under 125kw/t, show police, no fine.
Go back to and reflash ecu, wind boost up.

Unless they have rolling dyno stations at defect stations there job just got a whole lot harder.
07:26pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6498 posts
When I looked at buying my car 2 years ago, I'd only just got my Ps. I could drive the 2.0L version, but not the 2.4L version. Incredibly odd :/
07:29pm 12/02/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2640 posts

I believe these are also overpowered and I thought the laws included P platers cant drive cars over a certain KW roughly 205? So this rules out some of the new commodore and falcon 6 cylinders.

QFT
07:31pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3125 posts
Timmeh, Its about how fast you get to 180 kph as well actually. So many different factors with safe driving, experience and being able to handle the power in the car.

I.E a Rear wheel drive v8 isn't really something a p plater should have. Or a wrx, or a skyrine or anything similar.

Hopefully the rules still honour that and it looks like they will. I do know, not all young drivers are dickheads but unfortunately 18-25 males are most prone to accidents. Hence insurance costing so much. You can't argue with the figures. I drive a v8 and I have had my licence for about 9 years. I never had an accident but I certainly don't think I should have been behind the wheel of a v8 when I just got my licence. Having driven one , I know what power they have. As I said, it looks like the rules will protect this part.
07:38pm 12/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12511 posts
the 6 banger commodores and falcons were never banned for P-platers

you'd probably feel a bit differently about these restrictions if they were around when you were on your Ps, its easy to say you dont care once you're beyond them though

its like saying you dont care if they raise the drinking age to 21, only stupid drunk teenagers would be up in arms, but you would care if you were 17 about to turn 18 and they all of a sudden changed it to 21

your view is completely ignorant

I.E a Rear wheel drive v8 isn't really something a p plater should have. Or a wrx, or a skyrine or anything similar.

why not? you can't kill yourself and others in a toyota corolla?
im so sick of everyone thinking they know whats best for everyone else, applying a ban to everything that might potentially hurt some people is going to get us absolutely no where

I had high powered cars as a kid and I never hurt anyone, in fact I'd say my current 130 horsepower 3 tonne 4wd is more dangerous to those around me than my old 1.2 tonne hatch back with 400hp
07:39pm 12/02/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2641 posts
you'd probably feel a bit differently about these restrictions if they were around when you were on your Ps, its easy to say you dont care once you're beyond them though

its like saying you dont care if they raise the drinking age to 21, only stupid drunk teenagers would be up in arms, but you would care if you were 17 about to turn 18 and they all of a sudden changed it to 21

your view is completely ignorant

Your point is invalid teq as we are supposed to set an example and set the laws to keep the young safe - as they dont know whats best.
Also I am only 23 so don't say im old and grumpy etc etc. Just lived through that age without the restrictions and can say they are there for a damn good reason.
07:43pm 12/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12512 posts
I think you're wrong, I think there is already too many laws to try around this subject
passing a law every time someone kicks their toe is not going to stop people from kicking their toe

have a bit of faith in people, for 50+ years we've done just fine without having "P Plate restrictions"
guess what, the road toll has only gone down in those 50 years
07:53pm 12/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2235 posts
6 bangers that were over 4 littres were banned (so you'd have to look at the pre mid 80's stuff, and i think there was a valiant that was also over that size

every car I have owned for the road would have been legal for a P Plater

as for the new falcon/commodore, there is a reason that they kinda stopped going up in power once they hit around the 200kw mark,
A modern 6 cylinder falcodore has more power and is faster many of the 70's super cars
(a XY GT had only 224kw, , and a Ferrari 308 had only 190kw)

it is something that we should be proud of in a motor industry, however they are still a powerful rear wheel drive car, that can fit 5 and is easy to get to speed, and bites when mishandled and if happy to wrap around power poles in the wet at 150kph
07:56pm 12/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12513 posts
I had a non turbo (3 litre v6) VL that did 170km/hr pretty easily, how is 170km/hr any different in that VL compared to a supercharged 6 litre v8?

how does it make any difference what engine you have when at the end of the day you've still got a car with 5 kids in it doing 150km/hr
whether it takes them 4.2 seconds to get to 150km/hr or 14.2 seconds?
08:00pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8640 posts
how is 170km/hr any different in that VL compared to a supercharged 6 litre v8?

the fact you can get up to that in a MUCH smaller amount of time, ie on back streets, around corners etc...
08:02pm 12/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12514 posts
accelerating fast doesn't kill you, speeding doesn't kill you, the abrupt stop at the end kills you
maybe they should ban anything that doesn't have 6 spot wilwoods, that'd probably save more lives
08:06pm 12/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2362 posts
First car was a 4.1 zl fairlane, second car was a jaguar xj6 (4l) third car was a supercharged VT commodore. Glad the rules weren't around then.
08:17pm 12/02/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6730 posts
I had a non turbo (3 litre v6) VL that did 170km/hr pretty easily

My early 90s corolla did faster than 170, so what. As others have said, it's not all about the speed.
accelerating fast doesn't kill you

Does this need to be spelled out? It fucks with judgement of your speed by other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. The only times I've ever come close to having an accident at an intersection or roundabout was from fucktards who suddenly floored it just to show off and make noise.

My motorbike and car can both accelerate at a stupid rate, and as much as I'd like to I don't as I know others might not be able to judge my speed. No point being a dick and stroking my own ego when there's potential to do harm.

I'm all for these restrictions. I'm currently restricted on my motorbike but have no issues with it.
maybe they should ban anything that doesn't have 6 spot wilwoods, that'd probably save more lives

*rolls eyes*
08:30pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19359 posts
they should just go ahead & ban motor vehicles all together. Make everyone ride pushbikes.

It'll solve obesity
It'll solve pollution
It'll save lives

It's a win for everyone really.

Delivery drivers can be an exception, instead of a pushbike they get horse drawn carts.
08:44pm 12/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2363 posts
Let me invest in taxi company shares before you take over the world whoop.
08:59pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5254 posts
accelerating fast doesn't kill you, speeding doesn't kill you, the abrupt stop at the end kills you

But Teq, accelerating to quickly can cause you to lose control of the car and spin out, potentially hitting someone or killing yourself. And speeding can do the same thing. They are the causes of what leads to death, so they have the same amount of justification as your "abrupt stop at the end kills you".
09:05pm 12/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2236 posts
yes and no,

acceleration itself is not the issue, it is the cars ability and how it handles that acceleration,

(basing the following on my experience, and assuming all cars have a target speed of 180kph, and accelerate fast as they can go)

ZL fairlane, a little light in the front from the start, back end wants to join the front, settles down untill you get around 130 and it really starts to get light at the front, something that doesn't settle till you hit the brakes,

audi RS4, point car, push a few buttons, nail the loud pedal and waltz, feels solid and easy

RX7 S1, at full revs, it is a little light in the tail, a handful till you in third and settled

Bentley conti r, point car, get to 180, scratch head as to how damn easy it was, do it again,

now in the wet, three of those cars will try and kill you if you try and drive them quickly point to point, yet, the audi is the most likely to kill you without warning (being that it is soo capable if it goes wrong, you are already breaking the laws of physics)
09:23pm 12/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2364 posts
I thought you had to post professionally now Eorl?

I've always driven my cars as 'tourers', cruising around not in a rush. Zl fairlane was a fantastic car Copius, big and comfy, you could chuck four friends in it and drive for hours and hours and no would get out and fall flat onto their face with dead legs at the end of it.
09:39pm 12/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10029 posts
this now means p platers can drive WRX's

didn't i already bring that up and link this page in the last p plater thread?
09:47pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1424 posts
Like anybody is going to wear the P plates anyway
09:50pm 12/02/12 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1781 posts
I never could afford a turbo when I was under 21 or a p plater coz I had responsibilities to manage and I was an apprentice with fuck all money. But when I had coin a bit later on I got my skyline, wound the boost up and tended to drive in a way that was silly with 1 eye on the boodt gauge the other on the rpm. It was also a fucken deathtrap in the wet and around corners if U got silly. After owning one I fully support them being restricted by young inexperienced and overconfident drivers.
09:50pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5256 posts
I thought you had to post professionally now Eorl?

Haha have you seen Trog when it comes to news.com :P

I guess whenever I see a suped up car, it's always got someone hooning along in it. Maybe when I'm rich enough and can afford a nice hot car, I can go 40 in a 60 zone to peeve everyone off.
09:55pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
976 posts
Acceleration isn't a big factor in itself unless the goal is to get to breakneck speeds anyway.

10:04pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1873 posts
this now means p platers can drive WRX's

No it doesnt.

2000 WRK STi 195kw with a weight of 1500kgs

130kw/t
10:06pm 12/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10030 posts
I didn't say WRX STI's did i numbskull
i said WRX's.

10:11pm 12/02/12 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5574 posts
Meh, more dead idiots.

I don't see the problem?
10:36pm 12/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1874 posts
I didn't say WRX STI's did i numbskull
i said WRX's.

94 WRX 176.5kw with a weight of 1250kg
140.8kw

still invalid
10:59pm 12/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10032 posts
1994? there were like 10 made?

try any wrx from like 1997 to 2007 (or even the current perhaps?) and you'll find that they're all 160kw and about 1350kg bringing them under the 125kw/tonne.

stop clutching at straws. the vast majority of wrx's on the market are now okay to be driven by P platers under these new laws. go away.
11:23pm 12/02/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4185 posts
I've always wanted to know this, why do they make cars that are able to go stupidly high speeds, like 250+, when there is no place to legally do so outside of places in europe? Like holden cars for example which are generally made for Australia. Why do they even bother making such powerful engines because at most you are allowed to use like 40% max of what the engine can do. Also giving bad, beginning drivers access to higher speed, higher performance cars is a fucking stupid idea.
11:50pm 12/02/12 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1130 posts
All cars can go fast enough to kill you/others.
12:28am 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2237 posts
I've always wanted to know this, why do they make cars that are able to go stupidly high speeds, like 250+, when there is no place to legally do so outside of places in europe? Like holden cars for example which are generally made for Australia. Why do they even bother making such powerful engines because at most you are allowed to use like 40% max of what the engine can do. Also giving bad, beginning drivers access to higher speed, higher performance cars is a fucking stupid idea.

1st okay there are still a few roads that i know of that have no speed limit, so there is that for a start

2nd is longivity of parts, fuel use, and ease,
ie if we all had cars that could only go 120kph because thats as fast as they could go, it would be like only using 1st and 2nd gear, running around in 2nd gear with the engine screaming is not doing anything any good.

third, have you ever driven long distance, on a major highway, or a single lane highway that is used by road trains, some road trains are over 40 meters long, general practice is hit 140+ and nail it till you overtake (160 isn't that fast or abnormal to reach), purely because you dont want to spend any longer on the wrong side than you need

also, those cars that can go 250+ are safer at 100, than those that max out at 140
03:48am 13/02/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7339 posts
Wise decision. Maybe the conditions need refinement but pls explain why a p plater shouldn't be allowed to drive a 1.4l golf tsi, especially when they could drive a golf r (2l na v6)
07:38am 13/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10033 posts
1st okay there are still a few roads that i know of that have no speed limit
name them
07:59am 13/02/12 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
472 posts
Speeding and traffic revenue must be down.
08:23am 13/02/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5258 posts
2nd is longivity of parts, fuel use, and ease,
ie if we all had cars that could only go 120kph because thats as fast as they could go, it would be like only using 1st and 2nd gear, running around in 2nd gear with the engine screaming is not doing anything any good.

If a car could only go 120km/h, why would you think it would only be like using 1st and 2nd gear? That makes no sense. It would just be limited and speed and still require 5 gears. Maybe 130km/h at tops so people can overtake.
08:36am 13/02/12 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
474 posts
Meh, more dead idiots. I don't see the problem?

You will when one of those dickheads also kills someone in your family.
08:44am 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5483 posts
AFAIK the only 'Unlimited' roads were in NT, which now have a hard cap of 130k/ph.

All the other 'Drive to suit road conditions' roads (which have a Black Circle with a Cross through it instead of a speed sign) have always had a hard cap of 110k/ph.

Any/All unmarked regional roads are 100k/ph cap. And unmarked roads in built up areas is 50k/ph.
08:51am 13/02/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16279 posts
lol speed limiting cars

i don't normally care about nanny state types but fuck me, pull your head in
09:16am 13/02/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1849 posts
all these dumb laws stop nothing.

they need mandatory driver training courses.

I remember reading somewhere about some laws they removed in a European town lowered the accident rate because people were concentrating more on what they were doing and driving instead of worrying about if they are breaking a law.
That is why the autobahn's have such a low crash rate in Germany, because of driver training & people focusing on what they are doing instead of the laws.

last edited by Rdizz at 11:24:29 13/Feb/12
11:17am 13/02/12 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
476 posts
lol speed limiting cars i don't normally care about nanny state types but fuck me, pull your head in

My car is speed limited to 255km/h, I don't really see the point.
11:20am 13/02/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1797 posts
Stricter license testing and yes mandatory driver training would help the situation.

Not allowing P's to drive VW tsi's (small turbo engines) etc wasn't really the solution.

Power to weight is a good measure imo.
11:22am 13/02/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8796 posts
Wise decision. Maybe the conditions need refinement but pls explain why a p plater shouldn't be allowed to drive a 1.4l golf tsi, especially when they could drive a golf r (2l na v6)

Golf R is 2L turbo 4 pot dude, same engine as in my S3.
11:28am 13/02/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1798 posts
I'd saying he's referring to the old VW Golf R32 which was a 3.2L 6 AWD hatch and legal for a P plater.

S3... nice car orb. Love those.
11:36am 13/02/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4386 posts

you can use up 100% of the engines power, it just mean you accelerate very hard and you need to change gears sooner.

crusing at 100kph i think you only use 40kw of energy? its something pretty small, however getting to 100kph with 40kw engine will take you 4 days, with 400kw it will only lake you a couple of seconds, then you can let the engine pretty much idle along at 100kph.

more power means its safer getting onto on ramps too. there is a limit though and 200kw is probably it, any more than that per tonne and it gets more dangerous as the car ends up being harder to control and less predictable with that much power.
11:48am 13/02/12 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
941 posts
I think is excellent news for Jim Beam. After all the retarded P Platers crash and die their bogan friends can leave cans of Jim Beam and coke as a tribute.
11:53am 13/02/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2369 posts
I think some of you need to actually read what is going on. Instead of omg turbo, naughty, bad, they are going a much more sensible path of power to weight ratio.
12:09pm 13/02/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8797 posts
I think some of you need to actually read what is going on. Instead of omg turbo, naughty, bad, they are going a much more sensible path of power to weight ratio.

Yes, exactly.

This really had to be done too, new cars are increasingly coming with turbo/supercharged engines to get good power and torque out of smaller engines and thus be more fuel efficient.
12:13pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1875 posts
It's also not as clear cut as "any p plater can drive a turbo car"

It's apart of an exemption. The old exemption was that there was no other vehicle you could drive.
This adds another class of exemption. You still have to apply, the only criteria is the op.
I'm sure poor driving record would work against you.
01:16pm 13/02/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16280 posts
still lulling at this: "Kids in high powered cars is a big no."

thanks grandad
01:25pm 13/02/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8336 posts
All the other 'Drive to suit road conditions' roads (which have a Black Circle with a Cross through it instead of a speed sign) have always had a hard cap of 110k/ph.

I don't get these signs, why not just say 100km/hr or 110km/hr?
01:31pm 13/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10034 posts
how's a copper gonna know that with your legal wrx that you've been exempted for, that you haven't wound up the boost?
01:31pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6380 posts
they need mandatory driver training courses.

http://www.cdta.com.au/training_does_not_prevent_crash.php
01:32pm 13/02/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12518 posts
or thrown in a 2.2l stroker crank and some forgies, gt30 and overnight nos from japan amirite
01:33pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5484 posts
I don't get these signs, why not just say 100km/hr or 110km/hr?

Because then you cant blame the state government when you go around a blind corner, without a caution sign, at 100 and crash into a tree. Obvously because you were not driving 'to suit conditions.'
They are pretty much redundant these days though.
01:35pm 13/02/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8337 posts
or bolted a few snails to the blown holley carbed forged stroker cam nitros injected platinum spark plug having hemi donk?

Because then you cant blame the state government when you go around a blind corner, without a caution sign, at 100 and crash into a tree. Obvously because you were not driving 'to suit conditions.'

Oh, ok... so it's kind of disclaimer that there won't be signs at every bend recommending speeds etc, I guess that kind of makes sense.

last edited by mission at 13:38:00 13/Feb/12
01:36pm 13/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10035 posts
mish its a case of they changed the meanings of the signs in 2007 i believe. It used to be drive to the conditions, now it's drive to the conditions but not faster than 110. Usually those kinds of roads with those signs aren't safe at 110 let alone any faster.
01:39pm 13/02/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8338 posts
^ yeah I see these signs around rural far north coast where my mum lives and, in my opinion, these back roads should be 80km/h, yet the sign suggests you can do 100+... bound to end in tears as the roads are generally poor, dodgy corners and driveways, narrow, can have livestock and wildlife on them...... you would have to really be pushing it to get to 100km/h and you'd be an idiot if you thought it was safe to do that speed :/
01:43pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2238 posts
Hardware, SA has a few still
Narrung on Lake Albert
there is also a long stretch on the way from maitland to innes nat park
from lock to port lincon,

and there are still a few in the NT, the main highway which was once open, now has a posted limit of 130, however gregory to yarrin (sp?) still as fast as you care,

and no doubt there are still more, I've not been on every road, and those are just the ones i remember
01:58pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5485 posts
That's incorrect copuis.

I think you'll find that even those roads in NT now have a hard cap of 130 k/ph.
SA is 100 k/ph unless otherwise signed, and the fastest they have signed is 110 k/ph.
02:49pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2240 posts
scooter, those roads are still signed as "de-restricted speed zones" or however you wish to term them,

the SA ones I traveled on just last year, and have not changed to my knowledge, as for the NT ones, a mate (on my advice) traveled that road just 3 months ago, he said the road surface wasn't great (so he sat mostly as 140 and down to 90 in some places) but no limit, and the magic sign (red circle with a line, to show there is no speed limit) was still in place,

they still have the sign in the road rules, and it can be found on road, if there were hard limits everywhere, then the rules relating to that road sign (and indeed the road signs themselves) would have been removed,

also, didn't know you knew all the roads scooter,

(infact the only places I know that have "hard" limits are QLD, and WA
03:04pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1876 posts
Hardware, SA has a few still
Narrung on Lake Albert
there is also a long stretch on the way from maitland to innes nat park
from lock to port lincon,

and there are still a few in the NT, the main highway which was once open, now has a posted limit of 130, however gregory to yarrin (sp?) still as fast as you care,

and no doubt there are still more, I've not been on every road, and those are just the ones i remember

We used to get from Katherine to Darwin in just over 3 hours.(320k trip)
03:05pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2241 posts
i've done northside of brisbane to glenelg on the inland route in 22hrs which is about 2100kms, that seems and average time timmeh,
03:13pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5487 posts
Ok Copius.

The Northern Territory continued to use derestriction signs to indicate unlimited limits until 2007, when an open road default limit of 110 kilometres per hour (68 mph) was introduced, along with 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph) limits on the Territory's four major highways

You're wrong, but ok.
03:32pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2245 posts
I can cut and paste from the same wiki page too

By the 1990s, most states had discontinued use of the derestriction sign, mainly for reasons of disambiguity. In most cases, these have either been replaced with definite specific limits, or "END limit" signs on roads where a specific limit is inappropriate or otherwise impractical. However, in some areas, local governments have continued to use the deprecated signs on locally controlled rural roads.

but I'm still wrong?

before using wiki, you might want to travel the road, or atleast have some small idea as to where they are (which goes a long way to explaining why those roads are still signed the way they are)
03:33pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5488 posts
Nothing you have copy/pasted contradicts what I said (and posted.)
Those signs no-longer mean what you think they mean.
03:54pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2247 posts
so you changed your last post, nice move

but that road isn't one of the four major highways,

part of the reason in the first place for the NT moving to 130kph was the amount of dickheads that would speed up to 220kph in a falcodore then pass a cop car, turn to face them and wave

then complaining when they got booked, (taking one hand off the wheel, and both eyes off the road, driving without due care, and dangerous driving, much easier for policing etc to just lower the speed limits)

the point is, there are still roads that have derestricted signs, and open speed limits
04:01pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5489 posts
Sorry, I must have missed where I changed my point. You have the wrong idea about what those signs actually mean.

They don't mean you can go as fast as you want.

They mean that setting a specific limit is inappropriate for the road and that you are to use your own judgement and NOT EXCEED THE STATES DEFAULT ROAD SPEED. 100 in SA and 110 in NT.
04:06pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1878 posts
i've done northside of brisbane to glenelg on the inland route in 22hrs which is about 2100kms, that seems and average time timmeh,

ford wagon with 3 kids 2 adults packed chockablock and a standard trailer. *
06:25pm 13/02/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2252 posts
hyundai getz
06:28pm 13/02/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10036 posts
gee you're dim copius.

Scooter is 100% correct. There isn't a single unlimited road in the whole of australia. You fail to comprehend that what those signs meant in the 90s have a totally different meaning today.
07:18pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
458 posts
could not agree more, sick of the gubberments putting limitations on EVERYTHING trying to protect everyone from themselves and everyone else they need to take a step back and stop trying to control ever aspect of every single persons life

Sort of agree, what about some type of trial system that every 'high powered' vehicle owning P plater is eligible for with a strike system or something, or has this been done already? I supposed it could be rorted, though the ones that are compelled to drive haphazardly will show up sooner rather than later I guess. Having a phat ride when you are young or whenever really is too much to miss out on yo. :)
08:12pm 13/02/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9714 posts
Bahaha qld transport you bunch of fuckups. Actually I'll extend that to our entire gumbyment... fuckups.
11:39pm 13/02/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
11:39pm 13/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks