AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Dashlights
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1769 posts
So last night I was driving my hilux home and the dash lights just turned off.
I have checked the fuses and they are fine, the bulb has blown.
Anyone got and handy hints on how to change these?
09:17pm 22/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:17pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1186 posts
Your alternator is dying.
09:19pm 22/01/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2723 posts
Your alternator is dying

geez....you could have broken it to him a bit more gently.

try " timmeh, we need to talk about your alternator, i'm afraid i might have some bad news"
09:23pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19272 posts
change the blinker fluid

also "the blub has blown" ??????????????????????????????????? BULB!? I don't know about hiluxes but all my cars have had many many bulbs lighting up my dash and for all of them to blow at once suggests a fault somewhere. I'd check that out before changing them.

To change them it's usually similar on all cars. Remove a bunch of screws holding the shroud on, sometimes a facia panel too. Remove a bunch of screws holding the instrument cluster in, pull it out slightly, reach behind it & disconnect all the plugs (and speedo cable if it's a cable driven speedo).

When putting the new bulbs in I try not to touch the glass with my bare fingers, though I don't know if it really matters for those 5 - 10w ones you put in dashboards but better to be safe than have to pull my dash apart again.

Also don't be tempted by those fancy LED dash lights, they're s***. I've tried a few different ones and they're all useless. Standard bulbs > LED's.
09:27pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1772 posts
change the blinker fluid

also "the blub has blown" ??????????????????????????????????? BULB!? I don't know about hiluxes but all my cars have had many many bulbs lighting up my dash and for all of them to blow at once suggests a fault somewhere. I'd check that out before changing them.

To change them it's usually similar on all cars. Remove a bunch of screws holding the shroud on, sometimes a facia panel too. Remove a bunch of screws holding the instrument cluster in, pull it out slightly, reach behind it & disconnect all the plugs (and speedo cable if it's a cable driven speedo).

When putting the new bulbs in I try not to touch the glass with my bare fingers, though I don't know if it really matters for those 5 - 10w ones you put in dashboards but better to be safe than have to pull my dash apart again.

Also don't be tempted by those fancy LED dash lights, they're s***. I've tried a few different ones and they're all useless. Standard bulbs > LED's.

Bulbs*
cheers, I was thinking about those LEDs, or putting one of those LED strips behind it.

Your alternator is dying.

F***..
I f*****g hope not.
11:41pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5006 posts
Timmeh, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your alternator has passed away. It has sadly ceased to be. Forever gone. It has expired and gone to meet it's maker. It is a late alternator. It's resting in peace. This is an ex-alternator.
11:52pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1774 posts
"electrons to electrons, particles to particles,

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
12:05am 23/01/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
8766 posts
Eorl it's not dead, it's pining for the Fords!
12:31am 23/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2096 posts
Check the 'DOME' fuse under the bonnet.
06:54am 23/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1779 posts
Check the 'DOME' fuse under the bonnet.

cheers!
the fuse was blown! hahahahahahaha I was looking at the wrong one!
07:01pm 23/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2098 posts
I'd strip all the wires from the stereo area in that case, something made the fuse blow and the dome fuse also protects that circuit, seeing as you couldn't get it to work and then that fuse blew I'd be looking in that area.
08:37pm 23/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19281 posts
I've not tried a LED strip, lots of LED's close together would probably actually work quite well if you're willing to take the entire cluster to bits to change them.

I'm lazy and seeing as how a replacement cluster for my car is probably quite expensive I'm not gonna f*** with it. I can show you the results of my LED shenanigans if you want. I've probably not tried every single LED light out there so there's a good chance there might be one that works well. I just find them too directional and they light up spots on my cluster, and other spots are dark.
09:41pm 23/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:41pm 23/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks