Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Buckle Up Campaign in QLD
Stevo
Rockhampton, Queensland
33 posts
Who the f*** is so stupid they need a government warning to wear a seatbelt? I mean seriously... whenever I get into a car I put the seatbelt on as a matter of routine.

Why waste money on the stupidity of others. They deserve to die anyway.
02:40am 21/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:40am 21/01/12 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3860 posts
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?
03:05am 21/01/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9689 posts
Cough *USA* Cough
03:05am 21/01/12 Permalink
Vash
3416 posts
I can deal with laws protecting the safety of others from the acts of people, but laws to keep people safe from themselves?

Thats why there should be no helmet laws for adults & no seatbelt law. Its common sense, but i'd like the option to duck down the shops without copping a fine for the moment i lived so dangerously O_o
03:14am 21/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5115 posts
, but i'd like the option to duck down the shops without copping a fine for the moment i lived so dangerously O_o

Already exists, the chances are essentially lower than 1/1000 that you'd be caught and fined.

The danger element is just a fraction higher, but the extra danger isn't death, it's a tiny fine and points.

If the tiny fine and points is what is stopping you, then i daresay it's working. because frankly, you'd be pretty stupid to say "I'd drive to the shops risking my life but if they could fine me for it; then i'd rather wear my seatbelt".
05:04am 21/01/12 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
953 posts
Yes Vash, it's all bout you isn't it.
It's not about the waste of resources when you wind up in hospital with chest injuries from the steering wheel or the police/fire/ambulance officers scraping you off the road nor the fact they'd have to attend another fatality.
Nor is it about the pain you'd put your close friends and family through.
It's all about you.
08:19am 21/01/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1906 posts
no helmet laws for adults & no seatbelt law

riiiight. you're a dork.
08:27am 21/01/12 Permalink
yamahabandit
Gold Coast, Queensland
28 posts
"Why waste money on the stupidity of others. They deserve to die anyway."

Couldn't agree more - but the mrs and I came across the answer on our way thru the roadworks in the Blackbutt range after new years....

Billboard says "SLOW DOWN, BUCKLE UP - YOUR GOVT NEEDS IDIOTS TO PAY THEIR TAXES!"

Wished I got a photo, but was having a hard time txting while riding my moto. :)
08:47am 21/01/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4414 posts

he means for pushbikes DC you massive C***!!
08:47am 21/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
2074 posts
Seatbelts make it easier for them to find your body, airbags keep your body together so they don't have to play scavenger hunt for your bits.
09:46am 21/01/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9940 posts
Interesting topic actually

Lately, i've been sometimes not wearing my seatbelt. Y'see, cabbies don't have to wear their seatbelts, so i've been getting lazy.

But rightly or wrongly, those ads have worked on me. Now I buckle up every time, just as I had done every year before now.
09:48am 21/01/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11710 posts
Its common sense, but i'd like the option to duck down the shops without copping a fine for the moment i lived so dangerously O_o

And this is why we need the seat belt law.

/thread?
10:15am 21/01/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8536 posts
buckle up sometimes, dont really see how they can justify fining and removing driving points of person for not being 'safe' in the gov eyes.

Ive seen many videos/cases that if the people inside where wearing seat belts they would have been crushed, but instead was thrown from the car and broke a few bones....

10:16am 21/01/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11711 posts
Ive seen many videos/cases that if the people inside where wearing seat belts they would have been crushed, but instead was thrown from the car and broke a few bones....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Lives_Saved_by_Safety_Belts_and_Air_Bags,_NHTSA,_DOT.jpg
10:19am 21/01/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4093 posts
There are more than a few out there but watch a few slow motion crash videos and it's really scary how the body reacts without a seatbelt/air bag to absorb the force of impact. I thought a seatbelt was something you always just put on soon as you got in the car. Guess not
10:54am 21/01/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16123 posts
Lately, i've been sometimes not wearing my seatbelt. Y'see, cabbies don't have to wear their seatbelts, so i've been getting lazy.

not sure if serious
11:08am 21/01/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4642 posts
but i'd like the option to duck down the shops without copping a fine for the moment i lived so dangerously
Yeah, because i know that extra 0.5 seconds that it takes to put on a seatbelt is the deciding factor whether or not I have enough time for a quick trip.
11:18am 21/01/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15097 posts
Who the f*** is so stupid they need a government warning to wear a seatbelt? I mean seriously... whenever I get into a car I put the seatbelt on as a matter of routine.
Asians, I went to Taiwan and rear seat belts were optional.
11:37am 21/01/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
361 posts
Y'see, cabbies don't have to wear their seatbelts, so i've been getting lazy.

Interesting!

Some Goods

Does the driver of the taxi have to wear a seatbelt?

Not in all circumstances. If there are no passengers in the taxi then the driver must wear a seat belt. Once there are passengers in the vehicle it is up to the driver if they wear a seatbelt.
11:42am 21/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19262 posts
Is this the moronic one that goes on about how you might survive the smash into the windscreen, you might survive smashing your face into the steering wheel, but your internal organs won't survive the sudden stop?

How stupid are the people writing these things? Think about it, what happens when your car suddenly stops in a crash and you're wearing a seatbelt? That's right f*****s, you also come to a sudden stop BUT YOUR INTERNAL ORGANS AREN'T WEARING SEATBELTS. F*** off and waste some money on fixing our s***house roads, not trying to convince people of your lies.

Not in all circumstances. If there are no passengers in the taxi then the driver must wear a seat belt. Once there are passengers in the vehicle it is up to the driver if they wear a seatbelt.

I'd say that's so they can quickly get out & run if the passenger pulls a knife or whatever, right?
02:29pm 21/01/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
1422 posts
I think this is a parental issue. Whenever i got into the car as a kid i copped a hiding if i didnt wear my seatbelt and its stuck with me since then.
03:07pm 21/01/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11713 posts
Whoop, can you let us know how many people are killed each year by their seatbelts please?

Also please advise the maximum G that internal organs can endure without significant trauma, and how this applies to car accidents cf. flying around (or exiting) the cabin like a rag doll.
03:22pm 21/01/12 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5572 posts
"Here for life"
How depressing and stupid.
04:57pm 21/01/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2056 posts
FFS, a seat belt is one of the easiest safety devices to use, and you spend f*** all time to use it,

I know in some roles it can be a pain in the arse (ie, if the belt is old, doesn't retract properly and you are in and out of the car alot for work reasons)

there are times that I have been "lazy" and not worn it, (during the floods, with all the safety gear, ropes, life jackets etc and in and out of the 4wd) it that was a hard habit to break (not wearing the belt that is) but for the quick drive down to the shop, wear the belt, it takes about the same amount of time to insert a key to start your car,

IF there were less speed cameras and more real police on the roads this wouldn't need millions of dollars spent on ads, (because you would hear someone b****ing about the cops cracking down on it, and people would respond better)
05:31pm 21/01/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
1429 posts
(because you would hear someone b****ing about the cops cracking down on it, and people would respond better)

Thats a good point but i wonder how effective it would be (how easily spots would spot it) and also how much would be spent on police time rather than advertising.
06:01pm 21/01/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
4875 posts
I'm in favour of seatbelt laws but I'm unsure on helmet laws.

I think cycling would be more popular without helmet laws, certainly the city cycle scheme would be more successful.
06:25pm 21/01/12 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6091 posts
what about the cost at the hospital to repair these f wits when that bed could go to someone else?
09:35am 22/01/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2059 posts
Thats a good point but i wonder how effective it would be (how easily spots would spot it) and also how much would be spent on police time rather than advertising.

if you look at it as "money spend on extra police blitzing" then it might not make sense, however they pick up more "other" offences

I feel there is a problem with politics pushing for speeding offences and making targets for high profile, targeted offences, sure the cops dont have a "quota" but sure as s*** they have targets for speeding, drink driving etc, and this means that the cops are more likely to not bother with the little s*** (writing a ticket and the paperwork is a pain)
09:52am 22/01/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9949 posts
dead serial paveway. i bet you've been in a cab 100 times and never noticed that the cabbie ain't wearing a seatbelt.

I'd say that's so they can quickly get out & run if the passenger pulls a knife or whatever, right?
partially, but it's mainly to do with someone sitting behind the driver pulls the seatbelt back to choke the cabbie
12:23pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5387 posts
Hmmm, no Teq yet?

The very few (Off-road) 4wd deaths, in and around SE-QLD, are always a result of people not wearing their seat belt.
I'll always do it up driving on the road.

That said, I drove from the camp site to the edge of the dam water yesterday, all of 150 meters, on a dirt road on private property and didn't put mine on. So I certainly see situations where people wouldn't put it on. A public road, for any distance even just down to the corner for milk, isn't one of those situations.

Also, hardware, that just proves how stupid some cabbie drivers are.

On top of all that though, I think it's stupid wasting Police and state resources to help these people in spite of Darwinian influence.
01:16pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Stevo
Rockhampton, Queensland
34 posts
The point of this thread is to discuss how some people are so stupid not to wear a seatbelt.

I just don't see who would be dumb enough not to wear one.

Whenever I hop in a car it's just like I automatically put it on. It's part of driving. It's like riding a motorbike with no helmet.
04:44pm 22/01/12 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3050 posts
I had the same thought when I saw that seat beats were back on the agenda again. "Who doesn't put on a seat belt anymore?". The only people I can think of are the farmer types.. but that's about it.

Then I come in here and realise that I was wrong.

Even if I'm driving 30 seconds down to the corner shop, I have my seat belt on. It's already going on as I back out of the driveway without fail.

Put your seat belts on people! It's not like it's hard, or inconvenient!
08:47pm 22/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:47pm 22/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.