We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Track day hi-jack
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18927 posts
So I stop hi-jacking that other brake thread.

yess whoop, theres 'breakfast' events which cost about 30 bux and you just run around medium speed, no helmets or anything.

http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au/main.php?menu=qrf03

send neil an email via the link on that page and find out when the next ones on.

the license for sprint days is $20 for the day or $55 for the year

in the sprint days youd start out in the noob group so everyone would be in the same boat, and only when you qualified higher would you move up into the faster groups.

Ahh so you don't have to maintain another license just for the odd bash, that's cool. It does say it's for social groups, does that mean they just wait until enough people show up or does it mean a group of mates/club? When you say you start out in the "noob" group, do you mean that first time people and veterans all on the track at once trying to set a good time...

Entry requirements are typically long sleeve clothing and Australian standards approved helmet. You will also require an AASA license (though you can just buy a single day license $20.

There will be other cars on the track but they release you in timed intervals and passing is usually kept to the straights i.e. no fighting for position through corners. Cars are also grouped into those of similar modification / lap times.
... in this sort of arrangement?

Is there any info on what your car must/mustn't have in order to go through scrutineering? Or is that something they'd send you if you email them? Obvious s*** like no dead bodies in the boot or crap tied to your roof racks, duh, but less obvious stuff like do you need to tape your headlights or have a 5 point harness, air filters boxed in, not open (although secured), etc.? It's a pretty long drive for me to get out there, be pretty pissed if I got out there and they told me to f*** off because they didn't like the colour of my shirt.
06:56pm 08/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:56pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1964 posts
I'm not entirely sure I understand your questions, but ill give you some general info about the 2 different options you listed.

Breakfast events (also known as Happy Laps) are the cheapest way to get on the track. You don't need any special licenses, any particular clothing/helmets or safety equipment. They wont even do proper scrutineering, although if you have something obviously dangerous/wrong with your vehicle (such as leaving a thick trail of oil behind you) they wont let you on the track.

These sessions are not timed, and there is no 'racing'. Technically you are only supposed to pass people on the straights, and you are only supposed to be going around at a medium speed, though I haven't heard of anyone getting booted off for going too hard. If you do silly stuff like drifting, or racing people through corners, im sure they would boot you off. These days are limited to about 30 cars and all cars are on track at the same time.

Then there is TimeAttack or a QR Saturday Sprints / Wednesday Sprints day.

For these you need an AASA license, Neck to Wrist to Ankle clothing (ie full covering) and an approoved helmet. You don't need a harness or a roll cage, but your car will undergo scrutineering. Main thing they pick up on is a loose battery or unsecured items in the engine bay/car.

These days are usually 40 cars in 4 groups of 10. The groups are done in a way that the fastest cars are in Group A, and the slowest in Group D. The idea is that the cars on track at the same time are of a similar speed to minimize congestion. Overtaking is only supposed to be on the straights again. You normally get 4 sessions of 5 hot laps (+ 1 warmup/1 cooldown lap).
08:04pm 08/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15599 posts
striker have you been keeping up going to timeattack days?

i'm hoping to get the 34 ready and out there once it starts cooling down early next year

i've just ordered a bunch of suspension arms that should arrive this week, also want to get a nistune done, tyres on my r33 gtr rims and coilovers looked at/rebuilt

that's my list to be done before aprilish next year
09:46pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1965 posts
I haven't been racing this year - pulled the engine out at the start the year for a rebuild. Car is up and running again, run in complete, just awaiting a final tune up before hitting the track.

I've been out to a couple of days to spectate - nothing much has changed. Should come to the summer days - i barely notice any difference in oil/water temps, but they dont seem to be as packed.

For your nistune/tuning - Sean @ EFI does nistunes. He is the fkn BOMB. Tunes many track cars, and knows his s***.

Does your 34 have much done to it ?
01:27am 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15601 posts
nah i'll be going to rob at east coast customs for it

ah it hasn't really, it's got all the stock intake piping removed and custom piping right to the throttle and the gay engine cover removed, apart from that it's just intercooler, exhaust and coilovers really.

It's only running about 0.7 bar of boost because the ecu spazzes out if you try to run anymore

last edited by paveway at 08:06:40 09/Nov/11
08:05am 09/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18928 posts
So pod filters, do they need to be boxed in? Mine isn't and I know its sucking in hot air but that's how I bought the car and haven't had much spare time to make a box yet
11:26am 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
680 posts
You guys regulars at this type of event? I will be interested in giving the new build a bit of a flog sometimes (should be finished in 3-4 months).

As there any restrictions on cars etc out there like with the drags about power and safety requirements?

Only reason I ask is cause it is probably a mid range build but there is not real safety upgrades other than suspension, breaks, drive train etc .... no cage ...

last edited by Clubby at 11:34:20 09/Nov/11
11:32am 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15602 posts
no they aren't applying the law to your car like cops when scrutineering, it's mainly looking for things that are blatantly unsafe like a battery not secured properly or something like a headlight not secured properly that could exit the car

i got pinged at one track day for having these slip on spacers on the rear of the r31 because i only had about half the thread of the nut on the stud, which looking back now was retarded haha

s*** that the cops don't actually look for instead would rather do you for pointless s*** like a pod filter not hard bolted down or your muffler is 5mm too low

don't stress about it unless you know your car is genuinely dodgy

the only restrictions i know of at timeattack.com days are in place to define what class you're in the for the point competition that Paul does

ie. race class, street class etc then i think there is sub classes under those for 2wd, awd and s***

if you run full proper race slicks you automatically go into the race class, same as if you don't run a full length exhaust

that all means nothing really unless you plan on going to quite a few in a year to try and compete in a class

last edited by paveway at 11:50:23 09/Nov/11
11:46am 09/11/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1517 posts
So I stop hi-jacking that other brake thread.

... in this sort of arrangement?

Is there any info on what your car must/mustn't have in order to go through scrutineering? Or is that something they'd send you if you email them? Obvious s*** like no dead bodies in the boot or crap tied to your roof racks, duh, but less obvious stuff like do you need to tape your headlights or have a 5 point harness, air filters boxed in, not open (although secured), etc.? It's a pretty long drive for me to get out there, be pretty pissed if I got out there and they told me to f*** off because they didn't like the colour of my shirt.

there is a noise level limit, (it used to be about 100db) but that can differ from track to track (unless that has changed)

also, i remember there being a rule as to were the exhaust exits the car, (not before the rear wheel)
11:56am 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
681 posts
nah was just curious if they apply certain things like they do at the drags for duty of care or what ever.

The car is ummm close to street legal except for the massive fuel pump sitting in the boot which I haven't built a fake floor to hide yet.
12:00pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15603 posts
oh yeah lakeside has a noise limit, so you pretty much have to run a full exhaust anyway for that track

queensland raceway doesn't, no limitations on exhaust unless you don't want to be classed as a out and out race car

nf used to run a side pipe straight out under the passenger door on his r32, there are a couple of legendary pics floating around of it shooting flames
12:02pm 09/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5539 posts

Series Rules 2012
2012 Time Attack Series Classes: A: AWD
Class A1: Street Class
Class A2: Performance Class
Class A3: Outright Class

B: 2WD Forced Induction
Class B1: Street Class
Class B2: Performance Class
Class B3: Outright Class

C: 2WD Naturally Aspirated
Class C1: 4 Cylinder Street Class Class
Class C2: 4 Cylinder Performance Class
Class C3: 6 Cylinder Street Class
Class C4: 6 Cylinder Performance Class
Class C5: Outright Class and V8

D: Extreme Performance
Class D1: Extreme Performance

General Rules:

1. Nitrous prohibited.
2. Roll Cages are permitted in all classes.
3. The same driver must drive the same vehicle for the duration of the series. The combination of vehicle and driver shall collect points. If the driver purchases another vehicle in the same class then points can be transferred to the new vehicle. The driver must remain the same.
4. Modifications must not be made which reclassify the vehicle during the series. Points are not transferable between classes. If the car is modified and changes classification it will start again in the new classification with zero points.

Series Rules:

1. The series will consist of 5 rounds. 4 out of the 5 rounds will count towards your final result, with the worst round being dropped.
2. You must complete at least 3 rounds to qualify for a trophy at the end of the year.
3. At each round your best lap on the each track will be summed, and the lowest summed lap result will be used to determine points for the event.
4. You may attend morning, afternoon or all day to put down lap times that count towards the points for a given round.

Street Class:

1. The car must be a manufactured by a major manufacture. Not a kit car or custom race car.
2. The tyre tread wear rating must be 140 or above, and must be printed on the tyre.
3. The exhaust must be rear exiting with no screamer pipes.
4. The car must be road registered.
5. Must have OEM glass. This includes all windows in the car.
6. Must have OEM doors.
7. Must have OEM full dash. Additional aftermarket gauges are allowed.
8. Must have both front seats in the vehicle. (after market seats are allowed).
9. Removal of the back seats is permitted to allow for the fitment of a roll cage.
10. Must have full interior in the car. Not allowed to be stripped out. Boot liner can be removed.
11. Interior trim and carpet may be modified or removed to permit the fitment of a roll cage.
12. Must not have in cabin adjustable brake bias or aftermarket pedal box.
13. Must have engine as fitted by the manufacture (no engine conversions).
14. Adding forced induction to a naturally aspirated engine is not allowed.
15. Changing the boost level or turbo / super charger is allowed.
16. No aftermarket aerodynamic aids such as rear wings, splitters and diffusers. Basic air dams and small canards from body kits are acceptable.
17. Manufacture super cars shall be moved into performance class; such as Nissan R35 GTR, Porsche GT3. These will be on a case by case basis.

Performance Class:

1. The car must be a manufactured by a major manufacture. Not a kit car or custom race car.
2. The Tyres must be listed on the Tyre Register. If the tyres are not on the register they must be submitted for classification before the event.
3. The exhaust must be rear exiting with screamer pipes allowed.
4. The car must be road registerable (streetable car that could be registered). A purpose built race car with the correct tyres does not meet the Performance Class Requirement.
5. Must have OEM glass. This includes all windows in the car.
6. Must have OEM doors. The door trims and inner door skins can be removed. The structure must remain.
7. Must have both front seats (aftermarket seats allowed)
8. Must have basic dash in place. Full aftermarket instruments allowed.
9. Must have basic interior in the front half of the cabin (removal of carpet, stereo etc and liner allowed)
10. Must not have in cabin adjustable brake bias or aftermarket pedal box.

Outright Class:

1. This class is unrestricted, except as stated in the general Rules.
2. If the vehicle is an outright race car it will be moved to the next class. This will be on a case by case basis. A rule of thumb will be cars quicker than a 57:00 on the Sprint track.

Extreme Performance Class:
1. This class is unrestricted purpose built race car class, except as stated in the general Rules.

Points Allocation:

1st = 30 points, 2nd = 25 points, 3rd = 22 points, 4th = 20 points, 5th = 19 points
6th = 18 points, 7th = 17 points, 8th = 16 points, 9th = 15 points, 10th = 14 points
11th = 13 points, 12th = 12 points, 13th = 11 points, 14th = 10 points, 15th = 9 points
16th = 8 points, 17th = 7 points, 18th = 6 points, 19th = 5 points, 20th = 4 points

If there is a tie in points at the end of the year, the placing will be determined by the following rulings, in the given order.
1. Best single point score at a round.
2. Quickest Lap Result on the Sprint track.
3. Most attended rounds.

Rulings and Decisions:

1. The final classification of all cars will be at the discretion of the check in Mechanics. No discussion will be entered.
2. If you are unsure of something, check in advance.
3. The organiser's decision shall be final. No dispute shall be entered.
4. Time Attack management reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone, or ask anyone to leave an event without prior notice.
12:07pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
682 posts
Guess I would be a Class A Performance Car ...
12:16pm 09/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5540 posts
Ohhhh tough field!

Good luck with that.
12:17pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
683 posts
Hahah yeah :( ... as I said it's only a moderate build so more just for fun than to be competitive.
12:26pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15604 posts
haha very tough field

but as i said unless you're planning on going to a heap of track days in a year and really competing, it doesn't really matter you can just worry about your own time
12:35pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
684 posts
All in the name of fun really. Looking around 370kW ATW on pump so no slouch but I am not really interested in stripping interior etc to be competitive ... for now ... Also going for a pretty decent package for ride just deciding on suspension at the moment.

As long as I can beat those damn EVO's ;)
12:44pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1966 posts
Looks like you'd be competing against me :) What car is it ? 370kw at the wheels is about on the money to be competitive in a ~1400-1500kg car.

I'm running about 450kwatw in a car that's around 1450kg (stripped out GTR with a roll cage).. i came 2nd in the series in 2009 running on 595RS-R's.. next year im hoping to get on the new Federal semi slick. Should chop a couple of seconds off.
01:00pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15606 posts
just go full slick you pussy :p

i'll be running rsr's on my gtr rims
01:02pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
685 posts
It's a MY97 WRX (old school looking one) that I have been building over the past year or so. Engine build should be good for up around the figure you run not sure about the turbo :P

A similar build did 361kW @ 21psi with 16 deg of timing throughout on the dyno the other day (someone else I know is building a similar setup) on pump fuel with a TSR70.
01:08pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4395 posts
Breakfast events are awesome, $20 for breakfast and track time with no helmets.
01:19pm 09/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5541 posts
Looks like a few QGL'ers will be participating in TimeAttack 2012?

Hopefully I'll be ready by the New Year too.
Class C1.
01:33pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15607 posts
by the looks of it i'm class b1

i'll make a thread when i'm ready to go out, well in advance

if you guys want to join it too we can have a mini qgl meet, at this point i'm thinking April

last edited by paveway at 14:25:25 09/Nov/11
02:20pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1967 posts
I have a feeling paul will make me go in A3 or even D1, although the car technically meets the requirements for A2.

I was low 59's / high 58's on the 595RS-R's... If I splurged on a set of RE55's, i would be hoping to cut a < 57.
02:26pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
687 posts
at this point i'm thinking April

This will probably suit as I need to finish the build and do run in etc. I'd be keen :P ...
02:28pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15608 posts
yeah i still have a few things to do as i mentioned before

hopefully my suspension arms should rock up this week so i'll get to putting those in sometime soonish and get it down to fulcrum to have a look at rebuilding my coilovers / wheel alignment
02:33pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33419 posts
02:36pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15609 posts
bring the daewoo out dave

you can be in Class L1
02:45pm 09/11/11 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
14366 posts
ill go too and help you mechanic s*** dino because you dont know cars
02:49pm 09/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5542 posts
^^
This guy. Great for advice.
03:00pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15613 posts
pretty sure i rocked up and saved your s*** on the side of the road when we were driving back from QR because you couldn't do the nuts up properly on your dump pipe and it fell off your turbo remember maxey
03:35pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33421 posts
cars are so last decade
04:46pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1968 posts
Awww dave, you just wish you still had your 33 :P
04:53pm 09/11/11 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
14367 posts
pretty sure i rocked up and saved your s*** on the side of the road when we were driving back from QR because you couldn't do the nuts up properly on your dump pipe and it fell off your turbo remember maxey

nope
05:41pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33423 posts
Awww dave, you just wish you still had your 33 :P

yer, i do, just so i could thrash paveway.

i cringe everytime i read about your car though matey, it must be sending you broke!

S**** NOT CHEAP (to go that fast)
05:50pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1969 posts
don't remind me :<
07:12pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18929 posts
Cool, I think I'm in "Street Class"
I do like this bit though:
16. No aftermarket aerodynamic aids such as rear wings, splitters and diffusers. Basic air dams and small canards from body kits are acceptable.
Mine's not aftermarket:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/cars/IMG_0713.jpg

I did one of those V8 experience things and one of the things I hated about it was the fact that I didn't know the track or car so wasn't willing to push it, and didn't enjoy it as much as I might have. I think I'd like to do those "happy laps" first to get used to the track layout before trying for any kind of timed event.
08:30pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9618 posts
V8 experience is f*****g gay and slow. Forget that s*** Whoop... you will enjoy strapping an evo around there.
08:36pm 09/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4330 posts
beg to differ spook! going fast can be cheap

feels good to mix it up with/beat people who have spent a lot more than you
08:53pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33436 posts
beg to differ spook! going fast can be cheap

i bet going slow is cheaper!!!!!
08:56pm 09/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4331 posts
ahahaha BAM
09:01pm 09/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5543 posts
You're getting soft Dave. Petal complains about it all the time. :)

p.s Nov 23rd. LETS DO THIS.
11:19am 10/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15623 posts
just so i could thrash paveway.

lols i saw a 4 door r33 the other day on the way after i stopped at umart on friday, full roofracks, saggy rear suspension and an old man driving

i thought it was spook for a second
11:34am 10/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1970 posts

i'll probably be there for a shakedown session. Just need to get the cams dialled in on the dyno.
02:24pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18931 posts
4 door r33 the other day ... full roofracks, saggy rear suspension ...

I saw one with one of those bike racks on the back, with a mountain bike attached. I've often been at the hardware store and been so used to owning a work horse (HZ ute with carrying racks) that I often forget what I'm driving now and see a long plank of wood or length of tube & think to myself: "Is my wing strong enough to hold that?".

Bit short on notice for me + my inlet pipe that goes from the turbo to the throttle body is held together with glue.
06:35pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3479 posts
Whoop has an evo?

what.
06:41pm 10/11/11 Permalink
inso
Melbourne, Victoria
2220 posts
I see your evo and raise you a second!

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1104/img00015201108061607.jpg

(excuse the crappy blackberry camera)
07:45pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3480 posts
Let's trackday battle inso - my vehicle vs yours!
07:48pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1972 posts
WOOO. car is going on the rollers monday morning. That means i'll be ready for the 23rd. Guess I'll see you there niggy !
07:58pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
367 posts
FYI, QR main track is being resurfaced as we speak (fixing bumps at last!). not meant to be up and going till mid December.
08:29pm 10/11/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1543 posts
lakeside is more fun imo anyway
08:44pm 10/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15631 posts
QR main track is being resurfaced as we speak

they can keep resurfacing it for all eternity

they need to dig it out properly and put better gravel in
09:05pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3481 posts
You're raced too pave.
09:25pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1973 posts
FYI, QR main track is being resurfaced as we speak (fixing bumps at last!). not meant to be up and going till mid December.

Yea they are letting some cars back on it week after next. Must be running a treaded semi slick (no slicks / half-grooved semi's allowed). I think the TimeAttack on the 23rd will be one of the first lot of cars on the track post resurface.
11:49pm 10/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15632 posts
don't suppose anyone has or knows if you can find the details of the 'reaurfacing'?
07:39am 11/11/11 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
368 posts
All I know was they were going to grind back the whole track till it was dead flat. Then resurface it with the correct racing tarmac. I think neil said the old track wasnt made from the stuff your ment to race on. And is not going to be a free drift day like last time to lay rubber on the new surface :(

For any drifters they are still running the new short track at the back so there is no down time.
07:55am 11/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5544 posts
EVO's.....sigh
That s*** drives itself.
08:10am 11/11/11 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3482 posts
http://www.qldraceways.com.au/pdf/QUEENSLAND%20RACEWAY%20GETS%20READY%20FOR%20ITS%20NEW%20CLOTHES_QUEENSLAND%20RACEWAY%20GETS%20READY%20FOR%20ITS%20NEW%20CLOTHES.pdf

resurfacing details

and email from Paul

WRS TIME ATTACK SERIES – QR – NOV 23. FINAL ROUND OF THE SERIES

Hey Guys,

The Nov 15 date has to be moved to WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 23 due to the race track resurfacing that is occurring the week before. I appologise for any inconvenience as I was only advised yesterday that our event should be moved to ensure we have a good day at the track.

Also I was advises that any cars running on slicks are not able to attend due to the softness of the new surface. They said that cars with slicks will not be able to race again until February next year. Treaded semi slicks are fine. Semi slicks that look like slicks with two grooves are not allowed.

If you have already booked in, please reconfirm the new date is still ok with you. If you have not booked in, please advise if you are coming at your earliest convenience.

Driver Training: The Afternoon Driver Training is all booked out. If you want a morning spot make sure you get booked in.
08:26am 11/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18933 posts

EVO's.....sigh

That s*** drives itself.

Fine ill take my ae92, its working, slow but working.
11:17am 11/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18938 posts
Does anything on the qld raceway site work? I just tried to email them about this stuff and it says the host name can't be found. What. None of the links are clickable, s*** can't be found, what the f*** goes on ffs.
09:38pm 12/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1974 posts
QR site is terribad

www.timeattack.com.au
09:47pm 12/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5545 posts
Churrrrrrrrrr!

Locked in for the 23rd!
Now to make the car drivable.....
11:41am 14/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15642 posts
just got the email from paul at timeattack this morning with the timetable for next year

not much doing in april by the looks, so i'm going to aim for the lakeside day in march next year
12:19pm 14/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5546 posts
just go to the next one @ Lakeside.

It's all about showing up with a under prep'd car and having fun.

Beats having a prep'd car and running 2 seconds slower than what you expected. LOL
12:21pm 14/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15643 posts
if i had tyres on my r33 rims i'd probably consider it

and now thanks to the screw in my tyre as of last wednesday i have the really old crap khumo's that came on 2 of my r33 gtr rims on the rear

and federal rsr on my work wheels on the front, for maximum burn out cred
01:00pm 14/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1975 posts
derp :p

Car got tuned today. Made 500hp @ 19 psi, but when we wound more boost into it, it would hit 25psi, but fall to 21psi by redline. Exhaust backpresure is 0psi, we have a 1 psi pressure drop across the intercooler, so no problem there, and we pressure tested the intake and didnt find any leaks. If we could hold 25psi to redline, we'd be putting out 550hp+.

Still the midrange is FAT as, car should go good. Looking forwards to next week.

08:30pm 14/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4334 posts
enigma speaks the truth! less tuning/spending bla bla, more driving !

also i can get FZ201 medium in 255 and 235 17 for 400 each if you guys are keen

last edited by sCOOBY at 20:37:38 14/Nov/11
08:36pm 14/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1976 posts
what can you get them for in 265/35/18 ?
09:12pm 14/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4335 posts
naw only those sizes in 17 sorry :<
09:40pm 14/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1977 posts
np.. i'm sposed to have some sort of 'sponsership' (and i use the term loosely) deal with Scotty @ Neta.. see if those Federal stickers I put on the car for him are worth a decent discount :P
11:57pm 14/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5549 posts
They moved the event to Lakeside, CHURRR!

Also; Wednesday A shower or two, possible late thunderstorm.

LOOOOL.
10:54am 22/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1979 posts
keke. Im still racing, but will prob get kicked off for noise fairly quickly. Need to sort the exhaust out if im going to make regular appearences out at lakeside.
11:12am 22/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18957 posts
I was going to spectator Wednesdays event but I think there's another day in December so I might actually be able to drive that one.

Would it be healthy to put fresh oil in before (and obviously after) the day? Keep in mimd I also drive my car every day to work, its not a dedicated track car.
11:24am 22/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1980 posts
Best strategy is to change your oil before every track day. Once the track day if over, you should be fine to leave that oil in there for street driving for a few thousand k's. If your doing oil changes every 5000ks, think of a track day as being worth 2000ks. So either change it after another 3000ks or right before the next time you take it to the track - whichever comes first.

11:45am 22/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5550 posts
I don't get why people just don't come out and drive the f***en thing.

I would be more than happy to pilot a stock EVO or GTR.

I've done it before and it was fine and fun. Learnt a lot. (Except for the 32GTR, that was gay)

How awesome of a driver are you that you'll break something, that probably was already on it's way out anyway?
Or do you think you're that fast that you'll come flying off turn 1?

All you need is Fuel, the right clothes and helmet, a smile and some COMMON SENSE.
04:20pm 22/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4338 posts
srsly no need to change oil that often. every 4 or 5 trackdays is fine for me.

penrite 5w40/50 full synth is the go
04:39pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18958 posts

Not enough notice to get time off work perhaps? That's why I'm not goin to this one.

How awesome of a driver are you that you'll break something, that probably was already on it's way out anyway?

No, I'm scared I'll be the slowest person there, look like a noob and get laughed off the track for being a poser :)

Also what are "the right clothes"? Does a flannel shirt and pair of jeans count or does it have to be a full on fireproof race suit? I also don't have ANY racing licenses so do I need one first, or do they just give you pointers on the day, you buy the day/yearly pass and go for broke?

I do like the rules though
Check that your helmet has the required safety stickers and has no cracks.
Check that your clothing is long sleeved, neck to wrist to ankle.
Check that your seat belts are secure and working correctly.
Check that your seats are secure.
Check your fluid levels, and your engine for leaks.
Check your exhaust for smoke.
Check tyres are in good condition.
Check there are no loose items under the bonnet or in the cabin or boot (including unsecured video cameras).
Check that your battery is not loose. Preferably the terminals are not exposed.
Check all panel work is secured.
Check that your brake lights and indicators work.
Check your brakes work correclty and have good pad life remaining.
Check your windshield is secure and free of cracks.
Check your bonnet is secure.
Check your doors and side windows are secure.
Check your wheel studs and nuts are secure.

ENSURE YOU HAVE YOUR TOW HOOK AND IT IS FITTED TO THE CAR AT THE TRACK.

How many people actually turn up with seats not bolted in and doors hanging off that they actually need to be rules? haha

wtf is this tow hook business?
08:32pm 22/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4340 posts
iv had seat bolts begin to rattle loose without noticing

tow hook, your car has factory ones

euro cars have 'screw in' hooks

11:07pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9640 posts
EVO's.....sigh
That s*** drives itself.

Looks like someone has been smoked one too many times :P Try driving one past the limit and see how "that s*** drives itself" really helps you. When it bites, it bites hard but you gotta be pushing really really hard I'll be honest :)
11:26pm 22/11/11 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
371 posts
How many people actually turn up with seats not bolted in and doors hanging off that they actually need to be rules? haha

You would be very surprised

A year ago I remember a guy in his VL rolled is car on turn one. He was ok just a few small cuts. When he got out of the car he smashed one of the only non broken windows he had with his helmet. He had thongs on and a roll cage that was just sitting unbolted to the car.

I have seen a few guys with two out of 4 bolts holding their after market seats in because the holes in the rail dont line up.

05:20pm 23/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1981 posts

I would be more than happy to pilot a stock EVO or GTR.

I've done it before and it was fine and fun. Learnt a lot. (Except for the 32GTR, that was gay)

All you need is Fuel, the right clothes and helmet, a smile and some COMMON SENSE

i see where you are coming from, but doing a track day is pretty hard on the car, and if there are weak links anywhere, it will expose them. Things that might otherwise not give you a problem for years can fail due to the extremes that you put your car through. Its worth spending the time beforehand preparing the car properly to save you a lot of pain if something important brakes while you are racing.

Good to see you again niggy :) Hope you had fun in the morning. You missed some exciting stuff in the afternoon including someone hitting the wall just before Hungry. Put a fair sized dint in the armco, and car didn't look to good afterwards.

I putted around the track quietly during my first session, then opened it up a bit more in the second session. Started to get a feel for the track. Need to sort out my exhaust so i can come back and not worry about getting booted off.

08:05pm 23/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15710 posts
my main thing is tyres, as i don't have a seperate set of tyres yet i'm not keen to go out and destroy my tyres on my daily rims

apparently there has been some damage to the new qr ashpalt from the weekend?

last edited by paveway at 20:37:36 23/Nov/11

last edited by paveway at 20:38:06 23/Nov/11
08:34pm 23/11/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9643 posts
Did you break your car Pave? I walked past you tonight at the gym and I saw Vadge :)
08:56pm 23/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15711 posts
nah it's not broken?

i'm talking about the new asphalt they put down at QR, apparently it got damaged on the weekend - still too soft i'm guessing
09:34pm 23/11/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9644 posts
Ok. I heard jumper cables and kept walking ;) I still cannot believe they let you have those plates!
10:00pm 23/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5552 posts
Looks like someone has been smoked one too many times :P Try driving one past the limit and see how "that s*** drives itself" really helps you. When it bites, it bites hard but you gotta be pushing really really hard I'll be honest :)

I actually passed a yellow EVO 8 on track today in my civic, so meh.

I've driven enough to know what they are like. And I've seen people lose it in them, even once on a mountain. S*** was nasty.

EVO's are so good they make the average person look like a skilled driver.
Even more so on tricky roads, the cars' ability to respond so quickly and well to a command is truly amazing. The foresight and need to read a piece of road is then reduced when setting a medium pace.
If you drive past a cars limit, it will slip. But when the limit is so high in the case of EVO's. Then naturally the point of break will be violent and not forgiving. =\
10:04pm 23/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5554 posts
Here's a slow scenic tour of the track.

10:35pm 23/11/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18962 posts
That looks like a pain in the ass, being stuck behind that guy who goes faster on the straights, but you could take him on the corners easily.

On the subject of video cameras, do they have to be bolted on to something? I'm guessing a hero cam suction cupped to the window is definitely a no go?

my main thing is tyres, as i don't have a seperate set of tyres yet i'm not keen to go out and destroy my tyres on my daily rims

meh, road tyres usually don't last very long on any of my cars anyway. I reckon it'd be funny to put 4 space savers on one of those little 3 cylinder suzuki things & see how long they last :)

Even more so on tricky roads, the cars' ability to respond so quickly and well to a command is truly amazing. The foresight and need to read a piece of road is then reduced when setting a medium pace.
If you drive past a cars limit, it will slip. But when the limit is so high in the case of EVO's. Then naturally the point of break will be violent and not forgiving. =\

What about if you've unplugged the AYC gear? When I got mine I found some joker had unplugged it all because the diff was making squealing noises. All it needed was an oil change. Some people are so bloody useless @ cars. I actually drove it fairly hard without any AYC having a hand in things. It is an odd feeling when it kicks in though (compared to my old FWD), almost like it has a mind of its own. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
12:51am 24/11/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33554 posts
lolz, nigs hasnt even removed his stereo

racing noob++
08:33am 24/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5555 posts
Dude, hasn't Fast n' Furious taught you anything?

You can't race without tunes man.
YOU CAN'T.
10:14am 24/11/11 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
373 posts
Ok so there is a delay with the track resurface.
Not a huge delay. They were putting a drainage pipe under the dipper but when they put the new surface over that drain pipe the road base sunk down a little. So they have to fix that part up.

Because of that no cars are allowed on till December. But I also found out they have put down concrete in run off areas where people tend to drop a tyre off the edge of the track.

Great for us drifters!
12:46pm 25/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15724 posts
They were putting a drainage pipe under the dipper but when they put the new surface over that drain pipe the road base sunk down a little.

nice sounds like they're doing it right, they must have put an inlet somewhere around the dipper to drain it out so it doesn't pool up

through stuffing up road crossings like that is a rookie mistake, should have back filled it with concrete
01:35pm 25/11/11 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
1986 posts
i've heard that the actual surface isn't that great. They've gone for durability and longevity over grip. And now that they have sold off the land behind the race track to the council, there is basically no chance that its ever going to see any development/expansion. Still, lakeside was very entertaining, and Morgan park is supposed to be all kinds of awesome too (have watched a few races there, but never driven it).

On my todo list for next year.
02:11pm 25/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5557 posts
Because of that no cars are allowed on till December. But I also found out they have put down concrete in run off areas where people tend to drop a tyre off the edge of the track.

Great for us drifters!

But then you can't dirt drop any more....
Which is what some of us do because we lack power or short shifted up a gear to have a bigger exit.

Man, dirty dropping was the s***.
Coming off turn 2 at the top of 4th, trying to hold the slide, you rip the hand brake on the transition and try to place your car at the top of the dipper.
If you get it right, you drop your back wheel off the edge with the hand brake up. The grass and dirt allows you to slide further than you normally would. Hectic feeling.
02:14pm 25/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4343 posts
yayyy im a fan of concrete edges instead of dirt. will see what theyre like but its gotta be safer and better for everyone than dirt which gets dug away and carried all over the track

last edited by sCOOBY at 17:58:12 25/Nov/11
05:50pm 25/11/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5558 posts
Dec 11th.
Last Lakeside for the year and it's on the weekend.

Casual day as there are no point allocated for times.

Gonna go and get some more seat time.
Yi Yeh.
11:13pm 30/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:13pm 30/11/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.