Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
1991 Toyota Hilux [Build Thread]
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1079 posts
Here I have a 1991 Toyota Hilux

I purchased this MAAAAAAD! beast from a....well lets say shady individual from Nerang, Gold Coast.
The reason he was selling it was that he did not have the money to fix it, and his parents told him to fix or F$%k it off their front lawn.
The condition it was in was pretty bad, sitting in the weather for 6 months, quite a big dent on the passenger side of the tub, the engine was ceased, the tub had a bit of rust and the paint had gone all chalky.
I could see that this would be a bit of work to get RWC.

How much? $600. I felt this was pretty reasonable for the condition it was in, the cost of $200 for getting it towed back to mine and the fact that it is a Dual cab style side.

At the Previous owner's house

It looked quite trashy, so when I got it back to mine, I hit it with High-pressure cleaner and went over it fully.
Structurally the Ute was great. Nothing wrong with the chassis,no rust or any signs of a smash.

Back at my place
img src= "http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9841/35737145634089874815401.jpg" />

Front after a bath

Rust in Tray

After I cleaned the Ute, Priority was to get rid of that rust and find a new engine!

After rust remover and sanding.

Primer

]I hit the tray with some Fridge white,and tried to attempt at bogging the dent.

After removing the old 22r, A few problems appeared.
The radiator had massive corrosion, the headers were cracked, the dizzie was stuffed and the exhaust had quite a number of holes.
I sourced a 22r from old fellow out at laidely for $300, It was a 22r with 118k kms from a surf, which meant swapping the sump over. He had quite a few spares which he generously gave me for FREE!
A bunch of radiator hose, fuel lines, washer bottle, belts and a new radiator fan housing. He also gave me a front bar from an 04 Hilux which I might put on.

[04 Hilux Bar

Taking the old engine out and putting the new one in, with the help of a few mates and my dad took about 4 hours. The following day we got spark, and got it to turn over, but it just wouldn't run.

I sourced a Radiator from ebay for $200 including shipping from Melbourne and whacked that in before work on a Saturday.

Weeks went buy where I couldn't find figure out why it wouldn't run.

New Engine

I was convinced that it was a electrical problem so I called in my mechanic. He is one of those guys that would just touch a car and it would work. He told me that the electrical was fine. That we were not getting fuel. He narrowed it down to the fuel pump. So I duct down to our local auto spares, picked up a new Fuel pump for $90, whacked it in and bang! IT WAS ALIVE!

Duct Tape air box pipe special Edition

This is were I am currently.
For my Hilux to be road worthy I need,
Paint Everything BLAAAAAAAACK!

New Tyres x 4
Exhaust
To be continued!
07:10pm 04/10/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:10pm 04/10/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1421 posts
I'll check this out when you fix the pics :P

Does it have leaf springs on the front?
07:13pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1080 posts
I'll check this out when you fix the pics :P

Does it have leaf springs on the front?

images are f*****g me over.

no it does not.
07:15pm 04/10/11 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8150 posts
Use < > instead of [ ]

For images use (img src="link")
replace with < >
07:19pm 04/10/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7955 posts
Yeah, you be gay at images.
07:21pm 04/10/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4249 posts
carn bro, 11 mins and counting, edit edit
07:24pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1081 posts
HAZAA!
07:25pm 04/10/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9491 posts
07:28pm 04/10/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7957 posts
Looks pretty good, well done.

I look forward to more pics.
07:32pm 04/10/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15287 posts
not bad, shame it's not a 4x4

last edited by paveway at 19:43:57 04/Oct/11
07:41pm 04/10/11 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
2016 posts
^^^ i agree with the non 4x4 comment.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10956487&keywords=&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=3&PriceTo=441&__Qpb=1&__No=2&silo=1003&seot=1&__sid=132D08C627FB&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962861%204294962537%20441&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_String%7c0&Cr=2&trecs=8

^only example.

what i dont get it is seems pretty much marketvalue irrespective of the time spent doing it up.

is this a project for the fun of it?
i dont know cars and am not mechanically minded. I fail to see how this is more than just a DIY for the sake of a DIY.

i figure if you piccked up a 2005 hilux ute for the same money and spent the same money on it you would be ahead.

i guess at least you have a rig with a new engine and a straight body.
good onya.
im still doing up my boat which is a bond-wood antique. i could buy a tinny for the same money i will eventually spend to get it in the water but it was my gramps so sentimental value is above and beyond the market value.
08:14pm 04/10/11 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1847 posts
great OP, we don't get enuff car buildup thread here.
08:17pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Shaexen
Brisbane, Queensland
182 posts
ah the old rn85, such a cute hilux. dont go expecting much in way of genuine parts, c***ly expensive and hard to source.
09:42pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1082 posts
^^^ i agree with the non 4x4 comment.

what i dont get it is seems pretty much marketvalue irrespective of the time spent doing it up.

is this a project for the fun of it?
i dont know cars and am not mechanically minded. I fail to see how this is more than just a DIY for the sake of a DIY.

i figure if you piccked up a 2005 hilux ute for the same money and spent the same money on it you would be ahead.

i guess at least you have a rig with a new engine and a straight body.
good onya.
im still doing up my boat which is a bond-wood antique. i could buy a tinny for the same money i will eventually spend to get it in the water but it was my gramps so sentimental value is above and beyond the market value.

I'm not sure I quite get what your saying.
The link you posted is for a single cab tray back hilux with 35X,XXX ks on it for $2000.
Mine is a 91, dual cab styleside. which I bought with a ceased engine for $600, so the comparison is not applicable.

I bought this ute for the body. Dual cab to kart my mates in with enough room(no folding seats int he back of an excel bulls***) and my tools. I don't need a 4x4, and I have no intention in selling it, ever.

DIY saved me quite a bit of dosh on this, and the time spent on it is irrelevant as I enjoyed working on it. I know how it runs, were everything is and how it works, as apposed to the many P platers I see who don't even know how to change their own fluids.

As for picking up any 2000 or newer model hilux for less than $4500 is an absolute steal. Before I bought this Ute I searched around for a good 4/5 months and was on the brink of getting a loan and buying a new hilux.

ah the old rn85, such a cute hilux. dont go expecting much in way of genuine parts, c***ly expensive and hard to source.

Couldnt agree more. I called up Toyota Genuine Parts at Booval and they wanted $36.00 each for Top and Bottom Radiator hoses and $15.00 for a Radiator cap.

Yes I own a ute, No I will not help you move.
09:48pm 04/10/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1423 posts
You rarely see a hilux broken down on the side of the road, on the beach or hanging off a cliff maybe. Used to have one as a work ute, had been in the warehouse for donkeys years, but has to get a newer ute with a higher loading capacity after we merged with other companies who had heavier products.
09:52pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1083 posts
You rarely see a hilux broken down on the side of the road, on the beach or hanging off a cliff maybe. Used to have one as a work ute, had been in the warehouse for donkeys years, but has to get a newer ute with a higher loading capacity after we merged with other companies who had heavier products.

speaking of hanging off a cliff.....

favourite ad atm.
10:01pm 04/10/11 Permalink
sleepy
2017 posts
I'm not sure I quite get what your saying.
The link you posted is for a single cab tray back hilux with 35X,XXX ks on it for $2000.
Mine is a 91, dual cab styleside. which I bought with a ceased engine for $600, so the comparison is not applicable.

i understand it is a totally different vehicle.
given its a more recent model and it is a trayback opposed to a style side.
my only question (albeit mute) point is the money you spend and have spent on it you could get a totally straight decent engine for a comparable price without any effort or expense.
hence my point i have sacrificed expense given the sentimental aspect of the said, boat i am restoring.

if this was a pc thread and you were upgrading a rig then it would be futile and mute to say doing up an old one would be beneficial under any circumstances unless it had sentimental value or there was a 'unique' aspect to it.

all good and power to you.
i just want to make a point, i cant see the sense in throwing money or time and effort at something when you could just shop wiser and buy something better without any effort.
if its just personal satisfaction good on you.
i would understand if it was an old holden ute or a valiant sedan which looks trim when its been restored.
what i dont understand is the whole restoration of a 'throw away' toyota ute.

ps i have a 98 hilux dual-cab 4B. the reason i bought one was for common parts and unbreakability hence the add campaign. plus it was a steal and looks very smart.
10:11pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1085 posts
i understand it is a totally different vehicle.
given its a more recent model and it is a trayback opposed to a style side.
my only question (albeit mute) point is the money you spend and have spent on it you could get a totally straight decent engine for a comparable price without any effort or expense.
hence my point i have sacrificed expense given the sentimental aspect of the said, boat i am restoring.

if this was a pc thread and you were upgrading a rig then it would be futile and mute to say doing up an old one would be beneficial under any circumstances unless it had sentimental value or there was a 'unique' aspect to it.

all good and power to you.
i just want to make a point, i cant see the sense in throwing money or time and effort at something when you could just shop wiser and buy something better without any effort.
if its just personal satisfaction good on you.
i would understand if it was an old holden ute or a valiant sedan which looks trim when its been restored.
what i dont understand is the whole restoration of a 'throw away' toyota ute.

ps i have a 98 hilux dual-cab 4B. the reason i bought one was for common parts and unbreakability hence the add campaign. plus it was a steal and looks very smart.

point taken.
With the money I have spent on it, I couldn't afford to purchase a decent ute. i have spent less than $1600, My computer cost more then my car lol.

I wouldn't say its a throw away. 91 hilux's are few and far between, and I don't like the look of the new hilux's, or of any hilux past the 88-97 era
.It's more of a personal thing i guess.
10:17pm 04/10/11 Permalink
sleepy
2019 posts
i agree with the new shape and your distaste for it.
i agree.
the NRL final had the new/new look hilux and i dont mind them.
its that bubble look they went with fr a couple of years recently look s***house.

05 models was when they lost me.
i perfer where they are going now and thats back to the 80-90 early 00 look.
10:27pm 04/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1097 posts
Tonight's work
- Pulled off the front passenger door trim to see where I could run some speaker cable for some 6x9s.
Couldnt get the door trim off so I checked MCM video on speaker installs and the Hilux is the same as MOOG's S15, or MOOG's s15 is the same as the Hilux.
- Trying to get little things done while Im saving up a bit of dosh for new tyres and exhaust [hence working Saturdays overtime]
- Pulled off side view mirrors and painted BLACK!!!!!

Tomorrrow
Install speakers and head unit. (El cheapo sony xplod]
re attach side mirrors
hunt for tyres!!!!

pics up tomorrow.
10:12pm 07/10/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4547 posts
Hope it treats you better than my soarer treated me this weekend, I changed it's oil and flushed the power steering and when i went for a drive after, the battery started dying in stop start traffic.. put the rpm up a bit and the dash came back and headunit turned back on.

220 dollars later and a new rectifier on the alternator good as new. But goddamn car, I treat it nice and it breaks.

Last time I did something on it, i paid 1000 dollars more or less to get a top-notch exhaust which would be quiet, twin muffler, resonators cat etc. Got it home and my window regulator broke. Fixed the window regulator and the goddamn head unit started playing up. Although the head unit turned out to be my fault, a wire had managed to wear itself behind the dash and started grounding exposed wire from where it'd worn. derp.

20yo toyotas.. i'll tell you, their engine's, even drivetrain might be ok, but their plastics aren't so crash hot.
10:22pm 07/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1098 posts
Hope it treats you better than my soarer treated me this weekend, I changed it's oil and flushed the power steering and when i went for a drive after, the battery started dying in stop start traffic.. put the rpm up a bit and the dash came back and headunit turned back on.

220 dollars later and a new rectifier on the alternator good as new. But goddamn car, I treat it nice and it breaks.

Last time I did something on it, i paid 1000 dollars more or less to get a top-notch exhaust which would be quiet, twin muffler, resonators cat etc. Got it home and my window regulator broke. Fixed the window regulator and the goddamn head unit started playing up. Although the head unit turned out to be my fault, a wire had managed to wear itself behind the dash and started grounding exposed wire from where it'd worn. derp.

20yo toyotas.. i'll tell you, their engine's, even drivetrain might be ok, but their plastics aren't so crash hot.

so true mate,
I pulled the glovebox and surround of about a minute ago. dodgy previous owner had used roofing screws to hold it up after he took out his tweeters. Took it out and the glovebox surround cracked. luckily I have a donor glove box from the wreckers.
bloody yotas
10:26pm 07/10/11 Permalink
BassMan
Brisbane, Queensland
1503 posts
Cool build thread Timmeh - keep uploading pics as you go mate...
05:17pm 08/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1101 posts
The side mirrors came up okay, but with the rain another coat was needed.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9457/017acw.jpg

I got one speaker in and mounted then moved onto the head unit, to find the previous had completely butchered the wiring harness. Currently reading through my Haynes manual and it does not add up.
Battery should be Blue and Yellow
Ignition (accessory) should be grey.
And then the Sony HU has different again.
And my test lamp just broke!
Doing my head in ill tell ya.
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9395/014qg.th.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/559/015kz.th.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9457/017acw.th.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/728/018ae.th.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2920/019oj.th.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6263/020emu.th.jpg

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5016/021wr.th.jpg

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9830/022ld.th.jpg
05:59pm 08/10/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
995 posts
looking smooth
06:00pm 08/10/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1475 posts
I hate it when people chop way too much wire off, leaving you bugger all. I ended up rewiring all mine from the battery up because the cords were too short.

Looking good.
06:02pm 08/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1119 posts
Got home about half n hour early today so i thought I would get some stuff done.
I put on the Side mirrors and im quite pleased with how the look.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/6835/008sq.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9391/010vy.jpg

I thought i would attempt the Head Unit again with a brand new Test Light.
I turn the key to Acc, No Power.
On, No power
Start, No power.
Does anyone have an idea on what might be the go?

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3707/007gsc.jpg
08:48pm 12/10/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14878 posts
Blue with yellow should be constant power, with grey being acessory, and brown being ground. My 90's Toyota had the same colouring as this chart > http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rayray/ToyotaWires.gif

So checked fuses?

last edited by scuzzy at 21:06:21 12/Oct/11
08:59pm 12/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1120 posts
Blue with yellow should be constant power, with grey being acessory, and brown being ground. My 90's Toyota had the same colouring as this chart > http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rayray/ToyotaWires.gif

So checked fuses?last edited by scuzzy at 21:06:21 12/Oct/11

Fuses are fine
yeah my Haynes manual shows the same but im not getting a power source. im lost.
09:09pm 12/10/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1501 posts
Is there a 'dome' fuse in the engine fuse box? Check that. Had me scratching my head for awhile.
10:09pm 12/10/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4277 posts
just jam an wire into the + terminal of the battery for your feed, too easy
10:18pm 12/10/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14880 posts
yeah my Haynes manual shows the same but im not getting a power source. im lost.
then someone's probably munted the wiring.
10:22pm 12/10/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1024 posts
f*** it, I had a handivan (google it, it is small), i just wired that stereo direct to the battery, the only down side was if you turned it down (and not off) to talk on the phone, and forgot that it was still on it would give you a flat battery,

on the plus side, you could push start that car flintstones style, (one leg out the door pushing along the ground, pop clutch and away you went)
11:21pm 12/10/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1603 posts
Wow, Update I guess,

It took me ages to find some decent tyres and I got 4 Light Truck tyres from Colman Tyres at Wacol for locals.
$105 each.

I recently got the exhaust put on at Wacol Exhaust and brakes.
I had to get a Daily rego slip from QLD Transport ($30)
And a 1 day insurance cover account with sun corp ($49) [up to $10 million)
Exhaust cost $280.

http://i41.tinypic.com/34oyerr.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/20subk5.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cxxmyw.jpg

Preping car for RWC today and rego the sameday if all goes well at RW.
01:15pm 29/12/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5011 posts
Good job, still enjoying the project?
03:37pm 29/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1605 posts
Good job, still enjoying the project?

yea mate, im really keen to get it on the road, its by no means finished yet but good enough to pass road worthy.
Im so close! the only thing stopping me is my RW guys work hours over the holidays!

As for my Stereo problem, Im thinking of just having a separate battery, stored either in the tray (sealed box) or behind the rear seats.
03:39pm 29/12/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4377 posts
this project is getting my pulse racing for being such a practical, sensible and reliable mode of transport!
03:59pm 29/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1606 posts
this project is getting my pulse racing for being such a practical, sensible and reliable mode of transport!

Just wait until I bag it, Put some 21' chromies on, Massive unit and southern cross stickers on the back. Chrome everything and paint it fluro green
04:12pm 29/12/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12213 posts
I have some plates for you if you are interested, qgl rates - apply within

http://i.imgur.com/3q5mQ.gif
06:37pm 29/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1607 posts
I have some plates for you if you are interested, qgl rates - apply within

http://i.imgur.com/3q5mQ.gif

lol so roney
06:40pm 29/12/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15060 posts
Those plates will cost more than the car, a sound investment.
As for my Stereo problem, Im thinking of just having a separate battery, stored either in the tray (sealed box) or behind the rear seats.
Just run new wires, fused from battery and find an accessory wire that turns on with ignition, all you need.

last edited by scuzzy at 19:06:44 29/Dec/11
07:05pm 29/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1608 posts
how many rbjs do i have?
RBJ + $1000
07:06pm 29/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1612 posts
Good news.

Hilux passed Roadworthy with flying colours.

Only one "defect" which was a blown rear license plate bulb.
To be honest I didn't even know it had one, the mech was nice enough to give me one foc.

http://i41.tinypic.com/w9tedu.jpg

Now to sit at QLD Transport for 89374538725879584 years.
08:22am 30/12/11 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4404 posts
How are you checking your fuses?
09:24am 30/12/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1188 posts
Looking good Timmeh. All the better because it is your own work.
09:30am 30/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1885 posts
They've changed it

You have to get insurance first, you don't do it at Qld transport anymore (renewing your rego it is still bundled).

To register a secondhand vehicle in Queensland you must legally move the vehicle to obtain a Safety Certificate. This ensures all vehicles registered in Queensland meet the safety requirements for operation on Queensland roads.

Before you can move your vehicle from its place of purchase or from where it is currently garaged, you must:

complete a Vehicle Registration Application form (F3518). This form is also available at your local Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre
organise a CTP insurance certificate, for the six or twelve month registration period of the vehicle, through a licensed insurer
ensure the plate(s) and label have been removed from the vehicle. Standard Queensland plate(s) must be surrendered to the department or their agent.
Carry a completed form F3518 and your CTP insurance certificate with you to allow you to legally travel in your vehicle on the shortest and most direct route to:

an Approved Inspection Station (AIS) to obtain a safety certificate
an authorised gas installer to obtain a gas certificate (if applicable).
Note: If your vehicle does not pass a safety certificate, and the work cannot be done at the AIS, you will need to obtain an unregistered vehicle permit if the vehicle is considered to be in a safe condition. Otherwise the vehicle must be transported.

Once you have obtained a safety certificate and a gas certificate (if applicable) you are permitted to travel directly to a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre to apply for vehicle registration.

Please refer to the Pre-registration checklist before applying for vehicle registration.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registration/Registering-vehicles/Registering-motor-vehicles-and-motorbikes.aspx#how_to_register

last edited by m3nt4l at 09:54:55 30/Dec/11
09:53am 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1613 posts
I was confused about this to.

So in QLD they no longer bundle your CTP and Rego?
How come I got quoted $388.90 for Rego with CTP included?
10:10am 30/12/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
995 posts
Where do you park if it hails?
10:31am 30/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1887 posts
To give you the price I guess, glad I saw that they had changed it when I went on the site to see how much I was looking at for rego. It wasn't much hassle.

He run's outside with a mattress when it rains.
10:33am 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1615 posts
To give you the price I guess, glad I saw that they had changed it when I went on the site to see how much I was looking at for rego. It wasn't much hassle.

He run's outside with a mattress when it rains.

Just go off the phone with them.
This is what I have been told to do.

1. Go to Suncorp and get 6 months CTP insurance. This covers me driving to Qld Transport Unregistered and thereafter.
2. Drive to Qld Transport
3. Get Vehicle registered, including paper works such as RWC, previous rego details and Proof of Purchase.
4. Winning.

Where do you park if it hails?

It's a hilux, its hail proof.
10:46am 30/12/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
996 posts
11:01am 30/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1888 posts
Yeah driving without plates on makes you feel badass, even though all your paperwork is in the glovebox.
11:21am 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1616 posts
Yeah driving without plates on makes you feel badass, even though all your paperwork is in the glovebox.

REBEL
11:23am 30/12/11 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1012 posts
Chop the springs, clear tail lights and a 3" canon. Its a tightly held secret that hilux utes are actually sports cars which can be unleashed with these simple mods.
02:28pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1617 posts
Drove it to Qld Transport.
Filled out paperwork and sat around.
Chick inspected the vehicle, was all good.

For anyone going to register a car.

Mental was correct.
CTP and Rego are no longer bundled.
It cost $182.00 for 6 months CTP from Suncorp (Insurance class 6)
Rego was $218.00 for 6 months (insurance class 6)

$400.

You do not need to get a Unregistered vehicle slip to drive it to Qld Transport, the CTP covers this.

$1200 a year insurance with shannons :S

Whats next?

Many things were done to get the Hilux roadworthy, not necessarily long term.
In order of importance, not necessarily in order of completion

- Top and bottom Radiator hoses need to be replaced.
- Small amount of Fuel line needs to be replaced
- Jack, Spare Tyre Fetch, Jumper leads, Basic tool kit, Extinguisher
- Stereo and speakers
- Air conditioning! - investigate not necessarily fix
- A (ohms symbol) shaped washer for the window door handle
- cosmetic details, bogging patching and maybe full respray.
02:33pm 30/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1890 posts
^unless you are just reregistering, then it's still bundled.
04:03pm 30/12/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12216 posts

wtf? call Suncorp
I pay $750 for full comp with them
04:10pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1619 posts
wtf? call Suncorp
I pay $750 for full comp with them

under 25 driver excess.
Suncorp were about $2000
04:17pm 30/12/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15062 posts
Thank god for monthly payments.
04:33pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8414 posts
yeah they rape your bum hole if your under 25 with any sort of a car that isnt a stock commo or a camry.

My S3 was 1400/yr full comp, whereas it was $750/yr for the guy who owned it before me who was 27 :/
Its like i have to pay for other peoples car to get fixed because they are under 25 and cant drive properly...

The Worst was when it went up 100$ from one yr to the next, i called up and asked what the reason was and the lady responded "there have been alot of accidents/thefts in your area so your insurance went up"... i was like ahhh wtf... why am i paying more to cover the cost of other c**** 'in the area' cars that got f***ed up...

Stupid f***wits, insurance companies have been the bane of my existence this year.
04:52pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7149 posts
so how much has this cost you all together
05:53pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1620 posts
so how much has this cost you all together

$600 ute
$300 engine
$280 exhaust
$180 radiator
$200 paint, sand paper, degrease bog etc.
$420 tyres
$100 RWC
$400 rego
$60 unregistered vehicle slip
$1200 insurance

$3,740
06:21pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8416 posts

thats a pretty awesome man.

06:23pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1621 posts
http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon14.gifthats a pretty awesome man.

thanks!
10:17pm 30/12/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12219 posts
yep good job, you've done Timmeh proud!

10:29pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19116 posts

that's why I treat all my cars like s*** :) My corolla often gets redlined for a good time. I need a new key barrel, the starter solenoid doesn't get any juice sometimes.

Those plates will cost more than the car, a sound investment.Just run new wires, fused from battery and find an accessory wire that turns on with ignition, all you need.last edited by scuzzy at 19:06:44 29/Dec/11
I like to run everything off the ciggy lighter in old cars :)

Especially when you rock up to a fuel station without plates on and the manager comes & stands beside you while you fill up.
10:48pm 30/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1892 posts
^Isn't the same problem which the Cressida's get, which you can fix with a couple of wires and a relay?
11:11pm 30/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19118 posts
^^ that to me? probably, I just turn the key on & stick a big fat wire straight from the battery to the starter solenoid wire. It only happens if I let the car sit for a while, if I drive it every day it works perfectly. I'd say with all this rain moisture has probably got in somewhere.
12:14am 31/12/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1893 posts
Yep, my Cressida wouldn't engage the solenoid so I hooked up a horn relay to feed power from the battery to the starter when I turn the key, instead of going from the battery to the ignition and back down. Saved taking it all apart and cleaning or replacing and still does the job six months later.
12:19am 31/12/11 Permalink
rthy
Melbourne, Victoria
4 posts
<3 Toyota
12:22am 31/12/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1640 posts
07:01pm 03/01/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1903 posts
you know what,. i kinda like it

It gives it a little character
07:03pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1641 posts
The best part is they come straight off, so if i don't like them no more or want to put my chrome ones back on I can.
07:09pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19149 posts
07:15pm 03/01/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
1906 posts
why does one of them look like the ranger from harry potter?

also, sticker bomber, really, poor P plater's clearly so hamstrung by what mads they can do, I mean sticker bomb to give your front wheel drive some more cred,

poor things
07:24pm 03/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1924 posts
Are they happy? Are they hurting anyone except the "get off my lawn" ego of some people?
07:26pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4405 posts
Sticker bombing is pretty gay though...
07:39pm 03/01/12 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1926 posts
Not something I would do, but I think the front of that Honda looks alright, same as the wheel lips and the fuel cover. Quarter panel doesn't appeal to me though.
07:43pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1645 posts
as bout as gay as your avatar. "P
07:44pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7163 posts
sticker bombs.. o u crazy kids.. back in my day.. bla bla bla
08:42pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19150 posts
I don't get why you'd sticker the f*** out of only one guard. It looks really odd. Wouldn't you go absolutely nuts and do the entire front guard, and the doors, and then have it kind of fade off or whatever and actually make some kind of design out of it?

At least timmeh made it even & did all 4 wheel trim things. Maybe it's just me being picky about stuff having to look symmetrical :)
11:13pm 03/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1648 posts
I don't get why you'd sticker the f*** out of only one guard. It looks really odd. Wouldn't you go absolutely nuts and do the entire front guard, and the doors, and then have it kind of fade off or whatever and actually make some kind of design out of it?

At least timmeh made it even & did all 4 wheel trim things. Maybe it's just me being picky about stuff having to look symmetrical :)

I agree, one guard looks s***. I try to keep it symmetrical, the only other things I plan to stickerbomb is my headlight housing and petrol tank cover.
07:11am 04/01/12 Permalink
gamer
2208 posts
Stickers on your car?

What the f*** is wrong with the owners of these vehicles ^

Hey year 2 from your primary school called... they want their stickers back.
09:37am 04/01/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4200 posts
Stickers on your car?
talking about stickers on cars, any one else get pissed off when the mechanic puts their stupid "zupps" or "repco" stickers on your car? would it be alright for me to put my business stickers all over your workshop?
11:43am 04/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1651 posts
Stickers on your car?

What the f*** is wrong with the owners of these vehicles ^

Hey year 2 from your primary school called... they want their stickers back.

05:42pm 04/01/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19155 posts
talking about stickers on cars, any one else get pissed off when the mechanic puts their stupid "zupps" or "repco" stickers on your car? would it be alright for me to put my business stickers all over your workshop?

Don't ask, just go do it and when they complain point to the sticker on your car.

also stop going to s*** mechanics? the only manufacturers sticker that's ever been on my car was the sticker mitsubishi put there with their logo on it telling me the date the next service was due and it was a tiny sticker. The usual place I take my car to has never put one on.
05:54pm 04/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5020 posts
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/759/fullretardi.jpg

Hilux is hailproof in the sense that who gives a f*** if it gets damaged from hail.
06:38pm 04/01/12 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3443 posts
They didn't even hit the stickers with clear coat or UV protector so the stickers will fade.

They did mention doing this in the video.
08:10pm 04/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1658 posts
They did mention doing this in the video.

they said if you want. its a crucial step tho.
08:17pm 04/01/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20298 posts
lol sticker bombing

thats just as bad as my mate making a roll cage out of those post pack tube thingo's that are used to send large posters etc in, in his car.... I am talking 15-16 years ago tho
08:27pm 04/01/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5021 posts
Oh no sticker fade? What ever will they do? It'll cost so much money to get it restickered.
08:57pm 04/01/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
1659 posts
Oh no sticker fade? What ever will they do? It'll cost so much money to get it restickered.

its more about how it looks, not how much it costs, why go to the effort of doing it if its going to look s*** in 2-3 days in the weather.
09:25pm 04/01/12 Permalink
rolem10
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Hi someone have a toyota hilux original tray for single cab. Its model 1992 4x4, I have aluminium tray installed in my car I would like to buy or swap it. I dont know why its so difficult to find it. I thought people prefer aluminiun because have more capacity.

By the way how can I post a photo??

Thanks
08:00pm 10/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5354 posts
Use HTML
08:25pm 10/04/12 Permalink
rolem10
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
Thanks skythra!!! unfortunately I don know how to use it

These are the photos of my car. The alumnium tray look very bad. It does not look like a four wheel drive.

If I get the original tray I will keep it otherwise It would have to go.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/toyota-hilux-1992-12189360?base=1216&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,7500~0.5&eapi=2&sort=default&cr=0&__N=1246%201247%201252%201282%204294962861%204294962537%20898%201216&silo=Stock&find=4x4|CarAll

suggestions welcome!!!
thanks
07:50pm 11/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5361 posts
replace [ with <

[img src="http://insertimagehere.jpg"]

EG http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/carsales/car/private/cp5653699172645307950.jpg?width=555

Often you can just right click an image to copy image url.
10:29pm 11/04/12 Permalink
rolem10
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts
cool!!! man

Thanks
07:53pm 13/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:53pm 13/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.