Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Man of Steel teaser trailers
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15564 posts
both trailers contain the same footage but have different voice overs. the first trailer has the voice over of russel crow as jor-el and the second is kevin costner as pa kent.

10:27am 22/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:27am 22/07/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
842 posts
Both awesome!!! :)

10:42am 22/07/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6259 posts
Heh, that music's from some sort of scene with Aragon I'm sure.
10:48am 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15566 posts
i think the music is from the scene where the fellowship is mourning the loss of gandalf after escaping from moria.
10:53am 22/07/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6260 posts
Oohh yes that's it!

And Borim... Ned Stark... is all, "Aragon!", but with echos, in the background. GG human brain, now if only you could remember something useful.
10:55am 22/07/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9625 posts
eeeexcellent
11:08am 22/07/12 Permalink
Ha
Brisbane, Queensland
266 posts
get ready for another superhero movie starring god and a contrived way to bring him down to an even playing field with Some Guy
11:15am 22/07/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6261 posts
Actually, he's going up against other supermen in this movie. Played by this guy from Boardwalk Empire.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/01/22/large334963460.jpg

edit: Fixed wikipedia's epically sized image...
11:49am 22/07/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9626 posts
Resize that s*** Nerfy.

General Zod!
11:51am 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15567 posts
looks like they've taken inspiration from superman: earth one
11:52am 22/07/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
245 posts
Are they going to give some kind of scientific basis for his 'flight' this time or is he just magically going to be able to defy gravity as usual?

/oldmancritic
11:57am 22/07/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9628 posts
Dude he can shoot laser beams from his eyes too.

The explanation is... he's Superman.
12:01pm 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15569 posts
do you also want a scientific basis on why he is super strong, fast, invulnerable and can shoot freaking laser beams from his eyes?

12:02pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
246 posts
Yes.
12:49pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19603 posts
Because when kryptonians are under a yellow sun, they get crazy super powers. What more explanation do you expect? Were you upset when you saw the Avengers and they didn't give a scientific explanation for how Thor can fly and shoot lightning at things?

I'm holding off on watching these, cos I'm going to see Dark Knight again with my brother in a few hours so hopefully see it on the big screen.
12:57pm 22/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36358 posts
Midichlorians

... and that's why you don't ask. Or worse, try to explain.

The way these things work is generally there's one thing that you are required to suspend your disbelief for to make the story interesting.
01:10pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
247 posts
They haven't yet explained exactly how Thor's "magic" is based in science, but they keep referring to it throughout the Avenger series (big fan). Iron Man is the one that is on the case trying to work it all out.

So no, I wasn't upset. It doesn't have to be true, realistically plausible or whatever else, it just requires some kind of explanation. I accept magic in Harry Potter because that's the basis of that story. There's magic. Superman makes no reference (afaik) to magic existing in the world, so what's his deal?

Getting energy from the sun could give you a lot of power at your disposal to be really strong, jump really high and whatever else, but to just defy gravity? That doesn't make sense unless he has some kind of opposing magnetic charge that reacts with the Earth's iron core (or something?). Either way, I think it'd be great if someone tried to give it some explanation. I love when movies and stories are sort of believable!
01:21pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19607 posts
So "Its sceience!" is enough explanation to make you happy with Thor, but you can't accept the story of an alien from another world who gets his powers when under a yellow sun? I think maybe you're focusing a bit too much on the stuff that doesn't really matter here.

I'm with trog, awful things happen when you try to explain these things
01:31pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1565 posts
*groan* another superman movie

booooooooring
04:28pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20730 posts
God I hope Superman is going to be awesome. The last one had some nice bits to it but the whole Superman having a kid ruined it. Once you start bringing kids into it the whole thing sucks. Feel like watching the original again on bluray. Looks so damn nice in hi-def.
05:04pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
248 posts
So "Its sceience!" is enough explanation to make you happy with Thor, but you can't accept the story of an alien from another world who gets his powers when under a yellow sun? I think maybe you're focusing a bit too much on the stuff that doesn't really matter here.

I'm with trog, awful things happen when you try to explain these things

No, just that it's yet to be explained is enough, I can't make a judgement on it until they've tried to explain it. But at least they are trying to give it some kind of basis and have referred to it. I'm still waiting on Superman's flight to receive the same treatment.

I don't think bad things happen when you try to explain these things, I think it can really improve the stories.
05:39pm 22/07/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7085 posts
I'm keen. But I was slightly baffled as to why they used Lord Of The Rings music in this...
05:47pm 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15574 posts
because teasers are usually released well before the soundtrack has been worked on so they use music from other properties the studio owns.
06:06pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20276 posts
Are they going to give some kind of scientific basis for his 'flight' this time or is he just magically going to be able to defy gravity as usual?

/oldmancritic

I often like scientific reasons as to why things are how they are in movies but for super hero movies, science goes out the window.

But why not have him shooting ions out his a****** at warp 12, which creates an "electric wind" of sorts, which allows him to fly? How's that?
06:14pm 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15575 posts
microscopic birds carry him on their backs.
06:20pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7179 posts
Trying to debunk why Superman flies at the speed of light and why he shoots lasers from his eyes is just bizarre when you are talking about a comic book superhero.
06:40pm 22/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6050 posts
I prefer the kevin costner one, but I'm baffled as to why they didn't show all the stuff in the SDCC trailer with superman casually ON F*****G FIRE and some brief Zod shots.
06:46pm 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15576 posts
i want to see the comic con footage but can't find it anywhere :(
06:50pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20732 posts
but I'm baffled as to why they didn't show all the stuff in the SDCC trailer with superman casually ON F*****G FIRE and some brief Zod shots

Yeah, me too. But I think the footage at Comic Con was only for that. I've read about it and looked on youtube but I can't find it either. The teaser trailers don't really show anything exciting except at the end when Superman breaks the sound barrier. I hope they have Ursa and Non in it as well. Those guys kicked some serious ass as a team.
07:04pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19610 posts
Zach Snyder was saying at comic con that they're aren't using the existing theme or anything for it either, Hans Zimmer is coming up with a whole new theme and soundtrack for it, so it'll be interesting to see if it can top (or at least equal) the iconic Superman theme from John Williams
08:00pm 22/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9929 posts
Laurence Fishburne as Perry White
09:38pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20734 posts
Nothing can beat the original Superman theme. They should have just used that.
10:06pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3207 posts
Lol at getting cranky when they don't explain science behind super heroes. What the hell?
06:46am 23/07/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1600 posts
...Hans Zimmer...

The soundtrack is going to rock. Hans Zimmer makes magic with sounds. I think it'll be a pretty rockin' film. It has Nolan as producer so he'll have some good creative control and Zach Snyder is pretty good at comic book adaptations so I'll probably see this at the cinema. Plus since reading the new 52 Justice League comics I kind of appreciate Superman a bit more.

Anyone else notice that Superman leaves contrails while flying up? Paging Faceman?
08:47am 23/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15578 posts
yeah there really shouldn't be contrails. i guess they went with it because it looks cool.
09:10am 23/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6051 posts
Comic con trailer, not the greatest quality though

08:10pm 23/07/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3771 posts
Anyone else notice that Superman leaves contrails while flying up? Paging Faceman?.

I noticed that so looked up contrails and found they can also be caused by creating difference in air pressure and do not require an exhaust from an engine.
08:22pm 23/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19616 posts
Looks awesome, just wish that guy had turned off auto-focus on his phone!

Apparently Zod is in that trailer but I couldn't really make him out, looks great anyway
08:29pm 23/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15587 posts
there was a couple quick shots of zod. love this shot of supes and zod in mid air.

http://i.imgur.com/f9Nu1.png

last edited by ravn0s at 20:38:32 23/Jul/12
08:36pm 23/07/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9641 posts
How good is the music in that trailer? This is going to be awesome.
08:42pm 23/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15589 posts
that music is from the thin red line movie. it was also scored by hans zimmer

08:44pm 23/07/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9643 posts
Oh, well at least it was the same composer.
08:46pm 23/07/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
21 posts
crossing finger.
01:58pm 07/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:58pm 07/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.