We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
The Dark Knight Rises **may contain spoilers**
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6190 posts
Holy s*** balls!!!!

So much awesome was seen in this film.

I do agree it started a smidge slow but the ending was brilliant and a worthy one at that.

03:02am 19/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:02am 19/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19580 posts
Hrmm, I'm going to be controversial, because I don't really think it was that great. It left me feeling pretty disappointed actually. Possibly my expectations were just too high, but it felt pretty bland compared to the Dark Knight; the characters weren't particularly interesting, the "twist" was painfully obvious from pretty much the first scene that character shows up in, and for the majority of the movie it didn't even feel like a Batman movie, it felt like Chris Nolan really wanted to make a movie about a city under siege and the Batman stuff was thrown in as an afterthought.

In comparison, Dark Knight to me felt like they were really trying to do justice to the source material, but at the same time give it their own unique spin, and (imo) it work beautifully. This one feels like they came up with a storyline, then just tried to squeeze Batman into it, which made the more comic-bookish Batman superhero parts just feel really corny and out of place amongst the rest of the movie, it was like it was trying to be two different movies at times and they didn't mesh well.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but it just didn't deliver what I was looking for, and felt like it didn't live up to its potential at all. I mean, it was well made, well shot, well acted (some horribly corny, forced dialogue at times though), but I just wasn't feeling it.

Also, if you've watched the trailers, you've already seen pretty much all the big action set pieces, which was a bit disappointing.
03:27am 19/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21132 posts
That was f*****g awesome. Too tired to write about it now. However I did like TDK better.
03:30am 19/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19581 posts
Also, and this is more the comic book geek in me so I admit its probably not going to affect most people going to watch the movie, but why invent this John Blake character? Hes one of the main characters in the movie, one we're meant to really care about, but hes just completely made up. Theres so many existing characters in the source material that could have been repurposed and use in this way, why go invent some random new character? I mean f***, why not just make him Tim Drake, since he pretty much IS Tim Drake. Might seem like a small thing, but there was just so many of those small things that added up to killing the immersion for me and pulling me out of the world the film was trying to create.

In the first two movies, I had no problem accepting his crazy Batman antics and even his growling voice, but in this one, they actually looked and sounded pretty stupid. Mostly because for 90% of the movie its just normal people and a non-Batman related story, so then when a dude in rubber-looking armor turns up and growls "WHERE IS THE TRIGGER" it just looks corny and out of place and stupid, because it doesn't feel like that sort of movie, like, your brain isn't primed to be expecting that stuff on screen or something, I dunno.

And when Bane cries? Wtf was that? Super big bad tough guy for the whole movie, baddest of the bad and toughest of the tough, then he gets all teary at the end and has a man-cry? I mean, mad props to Tom Hardy, he played Bane awesomely, and the amount of expression he could get just with his eyes was phenomenal, but the character itself was a bit of a non-starter.

Gah, I should go to bed, maybe I'll think clearer in the morning, but atm it doesn't sit well with me :P
03:40am 19/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6191 posts
TDK is better and I prefer the darker feel to batman. TDKR seemed to bright(?), it wasn't psychological like TDK. I was hoping for a darker feel to this film.

I completely agree about picking the twists when characters firs appear.

Tom hardy stole the film just like Heath stole TDK. Banes voice was 50/50 for me, just not sure whether I liked it or not.

As mentioned it started slowly then crammed heaps in at the end which is typical for Hollywood movies.
03:42am 19/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6192 posts
Damn it Khel, why you need to make so much sense and make me start to enjoy it less. Haha

03:44am 19/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19582 posts
Haha, sorry. But I mean, as far as movies go its good, I just dunno if it was particularly good at being a Batman movie. Its probably also cos my expectations were super high, so I've only really got myself to blame for that.
03:50am 19/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6196 posts
What I liked and disliked about the movie.
Spoiler:

Liked
The Bat - Good lord it look sexy

Bane - Tom Hardy stole the movie this character. As people have said, the emotion he can portray with his just his eyes was great.

Surprise appearance of scarecrow was good and caught me completely off guard. Was he used like this in any of the comics?

Ending to the movie was worthy for the trilogy. Alfred’s speech about his holiday gave it away.

Cinematography was great as always, Nolan knows exactly how to shoot a movie.
Score as usual was amazing even if they used some of the TDK score(well it seemed like that)

I didn’t mind Bane’s voice as much as I would have thought it would. I would have liked to have heard a not so perfect English speaking voice but more a thuggish less intellectual speaking Bane(possible and did that make sense?)

Disliked

Bane Crying – As Khel mentioned, big strong baddy throughout the entire film then cries.

Bane Dying – Got punched up and has his mask partly ripped apart to only have it put back on by Talia, then shot by cat woman and dies. I would have liked to see batman defeat him in fight or something more worthy way for his character to die.

Predictability of the characters too easy as Khel mentioned. The first moment you meet characters you knew their role in the movie.

Batman in daylight doesn’t do it for me. Seeing him standing in middle of the city in broad daylight makes him look like someone out of prison and needs help for playing dress up.

Deputy Commissioner Foley reminded me of the pilot in Prometheus. Was put in the movie to have another storyline as a weak character then at last minute decides to stand up against the villain and side with batman.

Catwoman was under-used just like Two-face was. She seemed like she was added into the film just for sex appeal. Used in the same way as deputy foley where she only cared about herself but then at the end has a change of heart.

The corny punchlines that were used, the worst one was “so that’s what it feels like” when cat-woman disappears when batman turns around. I’m not sure if I liked or disliked Bane’s line of “that’s a lovely lovely voice” when the boy is singing at the NFL game.

It may look like I disliked the film more than I liked it but that isn't the case. I enjoyed the film it's more the dislikes are where I think things could have been changed. Plus this is all that I can recall at this moment, i'm sure there will be more positives I can comment/agree on once others mention things I've forgotten.

last edited by Damo at 08:58:54 19/Jul/12
08:54am 19/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19583 posts
Yeah, pretty much agree with all that, Batman in daylight just didn't work. I remember thinking his suit looked more fake and rubbery in this movie, maybe its cos he had so many scenes in broad daylight and thats why, but I don't remember it looking so much like a corny rubber suit in the past movies as it did in this one.

I'm still conflicted about it, but overall I'd say I still enjoyed it and it was good, I guess I'm just so critical of it because I had such high hopes for it, and because it had such a legacy to live up to, and its a bit disappointing that it fell short.

Essentially though, its not a movie about Batman, its a movie about Bruce Wayne and Gotham. If anything, the bits with Batman were some of the weaker bits of the movie, and I think thats what sticks in my throat. On the one hand you have a movie like The Avengers which just wholeheartedly embraces what it is, and then on the other hand you have The Dark Knight Rises which seems to be trying really hard to leave its source material behind and separate itself from it, like its somehow ashamed to be, at its core, a movie about a masked superhero.
10:22am 19/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15534 posts
sounds like it suffers from trilogy-itis.
11:42am 19/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20724 posts
Batman out in the day sucks. That's what really killed TDK for me. All those scenes during the day didn't feel right.
03:17pm 19/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15539 posts
i don't remember batman being out in the day in TDK.
03:43pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6200 posts
What rav said. He did just after sunset but don't recall daylight in TDK.
03:47pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5080 posts
Must have been some, Joker was blowing up s*** like the hospital during daylight hours.
04:31pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6540 posts
Must have been some, Joker was blowing up s*** like the hospital during daylight hours.
That was when Bruce Wayne crashes his Lamborghini.
04:43pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20725 posts
I should have said scenes with the joker blowing up the hospital and Bruce Wayne driving his sports car around. I just prefer a Batman movie being all at night. I guess most people don't care either way.
04:43pm 19/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16976 posts
wouldnt it be the smartest way to get what you want to done during the day if you know the guy who is going to stop you only operates at night?
06:41pm 19/07/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4827 posts
Yeah just got back from seeing it and while it was an awesome movie, it felt very different than the second one mainly because (to me) Bane didn't have a clear motive. In #2 joker's goal was just chaos for the sake of chaos and ultimately to try and break batman's 1 rule where as this one Spoiler:
he didn't even have his own plan and it was just a continuation of the 1st with him trying to cleanse gotham

Also maybe I missed something from his hard to understand at times accent but how the hell did he work out who batman really was? I dunno even though Bane got much more screen time than the joker he still felt underused somehow. Maybe it's just me not liking his ultimate plan or something. While not as iconic as the joker is I still felt Hardy did the role well and really got into the 1st real fight scene between him and batman because of how much stronger he seemed.
09:55pm 19/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9911 posts
I like batman in the daytime. Too much night time is cheese.

It's quite cool to see him in a normal setting, like when he interrogated Joker at the police station in TDK

Also maybe I missed something from his hard to understand at times accent but how the hell did he work out who batman really was?

I assume because of the league of shadows connection. Liam Neeson could tell it was Bruce miles away in the first one.

I don't know how Tommy from 3rd rock worked it out.

I do think other than Batman Begins these movies have not focused on Batman as the main character, he's not the story like in a typical hero movie.

last edited by thermite at 23:23:09 19/Jul/12
11:19pm 19/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9912 posts
also John Blake has shown up once in a comic book

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/3/4/103334.jpg?v=1
11:55pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19586 posts
Not sure that really improves anything, might actually make it worse.

I'm so torn up and conflicted, I wanted nothing more than to love this movie and be blown away and it just hasn't happened. Maybe I'll go see it again when my brother sees it, and maybe without the heavy weight of expectation on my shoulders and without sitting there waiting for big reveals and mysteries that don't exist, I'll be able to enjoy it more. Sadly, I don't think its ever going to be the movie I wanted it to be though :(
10:28am 20/07/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8116 posts
10:50am 20/07/12 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5592 posts
Basically anyone who knew the true identity of Batman would make it into the next movie (the good guys anyway). This was set at the beginning and made the rest of the movie predictable.

Sad panda :(
05:38pm 20/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9917 posts
what are you talking about? that is the last movie
05:53pm 20/07/12 Permalink
Bromby
68 posts
I read most of the above but surely you guys were a little "you're f*****g joking" about the nuke?

Its a bad luck Brian meme with a Batman spin.

Saves Gotham from Nuclear Explosion
||
||
\/
Everyone Gets Cancer
06:02pm 20/07/12 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
144 posts
I f*****g loved it, thought it was the perfect ending to the trilogy. I guess it may help never reading the comics so I didn't care about any inconsistencies with the comics.
06:50pm 20/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36352 posts
Agree with most of the criticism. It wasn't a terrible movie. There were a few nods to the comics that I actually quite liked:

- The back-breaking scene from Knightfall
- I felt like the whole isolated-Gotham thing was basically the No Man's Land series
- The final scene was a little bit like the end of The Dark Knight Returns (the Frank Miller one). In fact the whole movie almost was a bit like that, where there's this big long absence of Batman in Gotham.

I thought the Robin/Talia outcomes were likely (as soon as I saw that guy's face in the trailer, I was like "he is definitely Robin").

I didn't like that everyone with a set of eyeballs was like "oh hai Bruce Wayne == Batman", apparently - with lame justification (or none, in the case of Bane). The superhero's secret identity is a secret; it's a f*****g big deal when it is revealed to someone else - to have two people basically pick it up at random irritated me.
08:00pm 20/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19596 posts
I liked the back-breaking reference, and I didn't actually get the No Man's Land reference till the day after when I was thinking about it, but then I retroactively liked that too. I thought the Robin thing was so forced though, that scene didn't even make sense to me. The guy's name is "John Blake" and the receptionist is like "Oh, you should use your full name, its nice: Robin". Wtf, how is any part of John Blake short for Robin? I think I actually groaned out loud at the cornyness of that scene.

Yeah, it was a bit lame how many people were figuring out who he was. I wouldn't have minded Tim Drake... I mean John Blake figuring it out, cos it would have been pretty cool to see and pushed that whole angle of him being a good detective, but we didn't get to see it, we just get him going "Yeah, I know you're Batman, cos I saw you make a facial expression", and then Bruce Wayne doesn't even deny it hes just all "Ahhhh you got me".

The more I've thought about it though, I did enjoy it, and I'll probably even go see it again when my brother goes to see it, but it does still feel like it fell short of what it could have been and didn't quite live up to its potential.
08:17pm 20/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19597 posts
Also, I was thinking, was the prison pit maybe meant to be a metaphorical take on a Lazarus Pit? Its never referred to as such, but it is referred to as "the pit", it belonged to Ra's Al Ghul, and when Bruce Wayne is thrown into it, almost dead, he comes back out healed and stronger than ever.
08:23pm 20/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36354 posts
Also, I was thinking, was the prison pit maybe meant to be a metaphorical take on a Lazarus Pit? Its never referred to as such, but it is referred to as "the pit", it belonged to Ra's Al Ghul, and when Bruce Wayne is thrown into it, almost dead, he comes back out healed and stronger than ever.
iirc the pit is from the origin story of Bane, so I think it's all part of his storyline and not a lazarus pit reference.
09:34pm 20/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6046 posts
khel if they called him tim drake you would know from the outset what his arc is.
10:05pm 20/07/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4831 posts
Having Blake suddenly know who batman really is seemingly having never seen him before was a bit bulls***. They couldn't have him work it out any other way? Having Gordon finally know is alright since it's assumed Wayne will never return to gotham and when Catwoman found out she looked genuinely shocked to me. Loved that they gave Crane some more love with him being in the series a 3rd time if only for a small role.

The entire first fight between Bane and Batman was just very well executed if you ask me. Having no music the entire time and just the sound of them and rushing water had more impact. I also liked that for 2 movies we saw Batman kick arse without much real opposition and then suddenly he is getting tossed around and the s*** kicked out of him. The part where Bane is just relentlessly punching the living s*** out of his head until the cowl cracks I thought was great to show how damn strong he really was.

Talia didn't need to be in the movie and neither did Blake either to be honest but then again I was never a fan of him as a character.

last edited by DM at 23:15:20 20/Jul/12
11:14pm 20/07/12 Permalink
dranged
Melbourne, Victoria
2027 posts
It's a bit of a disappointment. The Dark Knight was just that, dark, this one was too cartoony. I think what made TDK such a great film was it's subtle exploration of political undertones of the time; torture in the US psyche in 2008. This time around we got the 99% but I don't think he really pulled it off, it's almost like Nolan phoned in this threequal.. I mean don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and a solid 7 but I expected more or at least on a par of EPIC in terms of the 2nd. But perhaps with the death of Heath, it made it much harder to top. Anyhow. Bring on Superman, Chris Nolan!
12:20am 21/07/12 Permalink
Shroud
Sydney, New South Wales
273 posts
I enjoyed it but having Robin was f*****g gay. F*** Robin.

They shoulda just left that for the "boy wonder" spin off they'll probably make.

Gay.
12:25am 21/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6201 posts
08:33am 21/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6047 posts
Ok here's my impressions, spoiler free.

I liked it, I was going to save "loved it" but that would be a lie, it was great but not amazing like TDK. Some of the complaints that have been raised I don't really disagree with but it's a matter of going along for the ride or letting those things eat at you and lower your enjoyment of the film.

I'd probably put it on par with BB, which on first watch I loved, but rewatching it on the lead up to TDKR some of the elements of it didn't hold up quite was well. There are some great moments that I loved, and some I didn't. There is a subtle sensation of going through the motions to wrap up the franchise which is something so far Nolan has managed to avoid but I found the ending to be a really satisfying end to this trilogy, so much so that I'm sad to see it end, knowing that we have any more films from Nolan and his crew.

Having said that it leaves me excited for where the franchise will go next, I'm hoping for something a bit smaller in scope to be honest, as I don't think they can go any bigger from where they've been.

And to whoever said "if you like Nolan's Batman films, you don't like Batman as a character" you're a purist moron, this movie is a balls out comic book movie, more so than the previous two. The setups and stakes feel familiar to the genre but the way it's handled and where the story goes with it is hasn't been done before in a comic book movie.

The Man of Steel trailer was played before the movie, not much shown of superman and none of Zod etc that was in the SDCC trailer. Lots of bearded superman with voiceovers showing a kid with a cape running around a farmyard. Final shot was superman flying up into the sky.
11:27am 21/07/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7945 posts
I really liked it, but not as much as TDK. I don't know why, but I was caught by surprise by the Talia twist. I already know that Ra's Al Ghul had a daughter, not a son, but it just didn't click. I also didn't expect the Robin thing until barely a few minutes before it was revealed. They were surprises to me, but looking back, they really shouldn't have been, especially since I already knew about Talia. I guess I was just watching without really doing much thinking.

I was actually pretty skeptical of Catwoman. I was expecting her to be really corny and lame, but I actually found her to be quite likeable.
12:22pm 21/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19599 posts
I pretty much knew it was going to be Talia from the very first scene when she was introduced as an enviromentalist and had some line about restoring balance. I'd kind of already assumed before seeing it that that character was probably Talia, but that just confirmed it for me I guess.

I still don't get the Robin reference, how is "John Blake" short for Robin? That sticks out in my mind as the most stupid scene in the movie atm cos it makes zero sense to me.
12:32pm 21/07/12 Permalink
stinky
USA
3724 posts
I wasn't a huge fan. it was okay, but not great.
12:42pm 21/07/12 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
145 posts
I still don't get the Robin reference, how is "John Blake" short for Robin? That sticks out in my mind as the most stupid scene in the movie atm cos it makes zero sense to me.

Dunno, maybe his full name was Robin John Blake and he was using his middle name, that does happen in real life.

Forgot to mention I saw it at the Sydney IMAX. It was so awesome, first time I've been there, it also really worked well with the film.
01:15pm 21/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6048 posts
So before I saw this movie I was hoping the next batman movies would be an entirely different take on the series (and I love what nolan has done with them thus far)

But with where it ended with blake being handed the Batcave I kinda wanna see where that goes. I would love to see a more intimate look at blake and what he does with batman\nightwing whatever you call it from here on in. Him coming to terms with the legacy bruce wayne left him and fumbling with all the remnants of tech left in the batcave, no batmobile, no the bat, no batpod. Just him small scale doing the detective thing bruce was doing early on in Batman Begins.

Something less epic in scope, him tracking down a serial killer or something where there's not the whole city or world at stake. The struggle of him being batman while lacking some of the huge resources wayne had at his disposal, surviving on the remnants of gadgets left in the batcave and him knocking up dodgy contraptions himself.

On top of all that would be the city rumours of batman sightings, returned from the grave.
02:01pm 21/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5821 posts
It was great, you guys have just been spoiled by the other movies.
02:48pm 21/07/12 Permalink
Ha
Brisbane, Queensland
265 posts
as someone who has had f*****g nothing to do with batman aside from the nolan films, this was the best movie of the lot.

bane was f*****g terrifying. physically imposing and truly psychotic he was at least as good as heath's joker. better, they actually managed to humanise him at the end, which you fine people disliked, i thought it was solid as f***. hardy kicks ass.

bruce wayne's character was exhibited more in the first 45 minutes then shown in the previous two films combined. his departure from alfred was genuinely moving.

batman was not nearly as corny as he was in the second film. holy s*** if it wasn't for the joker the second film would felate bags upon bags of d****.

robin was prominent without stealing the spotlight. i'd love to see what he could do with the bat cave.

catwoman had a predictable but well executed character arc. the only thing about it that s*** me was that she was clearly in a lesbian relationship and yet threw it all away for the c*** without it even being mentioned. i thought that took away from her character.

the best batman.
09:42pm 21/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7175 posts
Just went and saw this at Southbank, and I have to say it was a great Batman film, and definitely lived up the hype. While obviously some would disagree that the atmosphere and setting was more to do with Wayne then Batman himself, I think Nolan wanted to extend on the idea that Batman is just a man, but a man that Gotham needs.

The fight scenes were plenty, the characters were well developed and overall it was a really great movie. Having Scarecrow act as a judge for normal citizens was pretty funny, didn't expect that. While Catwoman could have done with a bit more meow, she was a well portrayed character that definitely helped join the whole "Batman love/hate relationship".

Robin was done well like Ha said, he didn't steal the spotlight but definitely portrayed what could hopefully be a new, more powerful character. While there have been a few Robin's in the Batman series, this one seemed interesting in that he wasn't afraid to go for what was right, and always wanted to make sure the people of Gotham were safe, like Batman.

The one thing that annoyed me the most was Talia (sp?). Her character as Raz Ghul's daughter should of been portrayed with a bit more umph, in the comics and especially in Batman: Arkham City she had a lot of guts, and wasn't afraid to punch a few skulls. This Talia felt too dependent on Bane, something that irked me for the daughter of Raz Ghul.

Bane was great, very menacing character and the back breaking scene was quite an ouch. The twist at the end hit me for a surprise, didn't expect them to be lovers.

Overall, great movie. Maybe not as good as Dark Knight, but definitely tied up character development. I think most people will be judgemental because Bane isn't as much of a chaotic menace as the Joker, and quite rightfully so. The Joker is a man who has no boundaries, and loves to test peoples limits. Bane is more about setting the plans up to execute perfectly, and cause the most amount of damage.
10:21pm 21/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19601 posts
the only thing about it that s*** me was that she was clearly in a lesbian relationship

Nah, I'm assuming that was meant to be Holly, just a girl off the streets she ends up looking after, not one shes goes for a drink at the hairy pub with.
11:10pm 21/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1161 posts
I liked it.
I'm not a comic fan purist, as a cinema adaptation it was 'Nolan's Batman'

Wasn't sure about Anne Hathaway, but I think she nailed it (tbh I could really see her [portrayal of that] character runnin about in a game like Arkham Asylum).

Tom Hardy looked f***** HUGE in this film (as it turns out he stacked on 30 pounds (near 15 kg's)) and the fight scene's with him in it were awesome.
His voice was 50/50 for me, there was some dialogue that frankly I didn't catch because of the mods to his voice. I like the 'cleanly spoken psuedo intellectual english' he had, but yeah, didn't really fit in with a thug who got buried in a 'sandy' (was gonna say arab, but that's just typecasting...) prison.
I liked the part where he was massive and menacing, and lets face it, we all knew he wasn't going to measure up to Heath's Joker. He DID however provide something interesting to watch and every time he was on screen, you were all watching and waiting for the next move (it was very well executed and edited thinking back on it now).
In reading the above, yeah the tears were a bit 'meh' but I think that worked and in retrospect the whole 'what a lovely singing voice' scene was just... flatly.... creepy.

Christian Bale needs f*****g throat surgery or something, he f*****g ruined all of his scene's in Terminator Salvation with the 'husky' BS; his efforts in TDK shat me to tears on the same front (and to be frank, I don't consider TDK a Batman Movie... it's a Joker movie).

Plot elements did unfold fairly predictably, I wasn't sure if they'd drop more and more Ras Al Ghul links back in there, but the Talia piece was ok (Nolan has always included elements of Gotham's 'Rich and Famous' or 'Law/Order/Civil Servant' types) and I didn't expect the knife (that being said I didn't lose my s*** when it happened) Tho as a cinema piece, that wasn't played out very well.

There were the usual, 'general movie' gripes with this one; the BIG one that comes to mind is the scene with the truck containing the nuke crashing, and Talia getting messed up (Sure, 10+ tonne truck drops 2+ stories, peeps will get hurt) and then f***** Gordon almost springboards out of the back of the truck not only without a scratch on him but bounding around more fit and healthily that he had for the rest of the f*****g movie) but hey, as a Genre movie, that s*** just happens I s'pose.

This will be added to my movie collection on Blu-Ray when it launches, the whole trilogy is well pieced together with solid production values. It was a comic book adaptation type movie so it was predictable, but I've grown to just assessing movies by genre as I'll never enjoy another movie if I'm uber critical on every film if I'm expecting a 'classic' or the 'next IMDB no1' every time.

p.s. it was awesome to see some of the 'pseudo-cameo's by the likes of the guy who plays Little Finger in GoT and Tealc from Stargate in the movie too!
12:26am 22/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9926 posts
I like the 'cleanly spoken psuedo intellectual english' he had

Hardy claims he is doing some kind of pikie accent
12:57am 22/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20273 posts
So who saves the other cities? I mean batman only does gotham, superman only does metropolis, ironman seems to get around more than a $2 whore so I guess the rest of the world has ironman?
12:59am 22/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9927 posts
01:26am 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19602 posts
Oh yeah the knife bit, that was kinda silly too. How s*** is his armor if someone can just, without any real apparent effort, slip a knife into him. Why even bother wearing it?

it was awesome to see some of the 'pseudo-cameo's by the likes of the guy who plays Little Finger in GoT and Tealc from Stargate in the movie too!

Yeah, and Quinn (from Dexter) was the cop on the bridge at the end who wouldn't let the kids go past. Its like hes been typecast as a douchebag cop now.
03:18am 22/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15563 posts
So who saves the other cities? I mean batman only does gotham, superman only does metropolis, ironman seems to get around more than a $2 whore so I guess the rest of the world has ironman?

heh ironman is Marvel not DC.

superman lives in metropolis but he's a worldwide superhero.

hell they pretty much all are, especially the justice league.
09:39am 22/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6203 posts
12:25pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19604 posts
They're adding more superheros to different countries in DC lately, but I doubt you'll never see them in movies or anything cos most of them are pretty fringe, bordering on unknown characters. Theres a group of chinese heroes called "The Great Ten" and they have cool, bizarre names like 'August General in Iron' and 'Immortal Man in Darkness' and 'Accomplished Perfect Physician'.

Also Bruce Wayne has this Batman Incorporated thing going on atm where hes 'franchising' Batman out to other countries and training and equipping selected people in other countries to be the Batman of their country. Theres a british one, a french one, an argentinian one, hong kong one, african one and probably others. The african dude even has his own ongoing comic atm (and its not half bad either).
01:12pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12884 posts
You're such a f*****g nerd Khel.

Hi five!
01:19pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19608 posts
Someone asked the question, and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to geek out :P
01:32pm 22/07/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1564 posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the movie!
04:24pm 22/07/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1163 posts
... and Quinn (from Dexter) ...

Well remembered, I knew I'd forgotten at least one :P

I would recommend the movie to others who have enjoyed the Nolan series of movies, I wasn't super-duper over the top about the movie, but now that I think about it, that makes me really depress coz I've seen what I 'wanted to see' this year now :\

What's coming out to Cinema's in the rest of 2012 that I should care about ?
05:09pm 22/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21134 posts
The Master, Lincoln and The Hobbit.
05:11pm 22/07/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6049 posts
Oh yeah the knife bit, that was kinda silly too. How s*** is his armor if someone can just, without any real apparent effort, slip a knife into him. Why even bother wearing it?

The knife as a potential threat was brought up in TDK when he got the new suit, he sacrificed those weaknesses to improve mobility and the ability to turn his head.
06:36pm 22/07/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7086 posts
I thought the ending made the whole movie f*****g phenomenal. I was moved in particular by Michael Caine's performance.

I haven't grinned and laughed in awe of a movie in a long time.
01:08am 23/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5081 posts
Rather enjoyed the movie. Not as good as number 2 but still a great movie.
06:52pm 23/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7232 posts
The ending to me was too much like Nolan's ending to Inception - was he just imagining, or did he actually autopilot the Bat out.
In which case, who the f*** is going to not notice Bruce Wayne wandering around Paris?

That's where it fell over for me - the last 6 seconds. The rest was great.
08:06pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5092 posts
Raven: I wouldn't notice Bruce Wayne, I would be too busy looking at Anne Hathaway.

Yum yum
09:15pm 26/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17012 posts
I thought the ending made the whole movie f*****g phenomenal. I was moved in particular by Michael Caine's performance.

completely agree

everyone complaining about batman fighting in the day - it was 1 f*****g fight and it was more a war scene than him just on the streets of your average city beating up scum. it was a complete non-issue

thought the movie was f*****g awesome, better than the dark knight

it had more that hole in the middle where you are just thinking `how the f*** is he going to pull this off`

thought old bruce defs ended up with the better chick. talia definitely didnt crawl out of that jail any time recently. how f*****g awesome is anne hathaway

whoever said you saw all the action in the trailers is bulls***ting as well

last edited by paveway at 22:03:24 26/Jul/12

last edited by paveway at 22:05:58 26/Jul/12
10:00pm 26/07/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2569 posts
thought old bruce defs ended up with the better chick. talia definitely didnt crawl out of that jail any time recently. how f*****g awesome is anne hathaway

Between the two of em, catwoman for sure. Talia was a hot, slim, tight chick if i remember her right from the 2 batman games but in the movie i thought she didnt look the part.
10:15pm 26/07/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19018 posts
Saw this last night and I thought it was better than Dark Knight. I enjoyed the storyline and the Batman lore a lot more. I felt Bruce Wayne's character played a more important part in this movie.

Bane was a good villain for Batman too - the fight scenes were bone crunching.

I thought the flying car thing in the promos looked lame but in the movie it was awesome to see in flight.

Catwoman's role in the movie while minor was very useful, and the ending with Gorden-Levitt's character made Me long for more.

last edited by infi at 22:27:56 26/Jul/12
10:20pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19637 posts
I thought the ending was dumb, like nobody is going to recognise one of the world's most famous billionaires casually wandering around. Would have been much better without the tacked on happy ending, if he really died. Make him really dead, and give Michael Caine a longer scene at the grave where hes all torn up about how he failed and you would not only have an ending with more impact, but motivation for the character to stick around and help the next Batman/Nightwing/Whatever JGL turns into.
10:40pm 26/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17013 posts
khel apart from like richard branson (not sure if he is a billionaire) and maybe bill gates

name for me and a description some of the worlds other billionaires?

i know i wouldnt have a clue who any of them are without a google. i know some guy in dubai is up there

bruce was massive in gotham but that big world wide? i doubt it
06:51am 27/07/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19020 posts
there's the mexican telco guy, no idea what he looks like.
08:43am 27/07/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7090 posts
Maybe I just like happy endings but I didn't like the idea of Batman / Bruce Wayne actually having died. Leaves the whole crazy saga on a downer.
09:59am 27/07/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2574 posts
Valid point paveway but what about tourists? I guess pretty much any American tourist would be able to spot him so he would be identified pretty quickly if he stayed in popular public places.
10:27am 27/07/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1193 posts
FFS do any of you guys actually enjoy any movie, you pick the eyes out of it.

The movie was f***en awesome and as Infi said I'm wanting more too, perhaps a TV show with Robin or a spin off movie??
11:33am 27/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21146 posts
I thought the ending was dumb, like nobody is going to recognise one of the world's most famous billionaires casually wandering around.
So what? People will just go "Hey look it's that reclusive Bruce Wayne guy who mysteriously disappeared right before everything went to s*** in Gotham" before he is whisked away to his villa in Florence.

Like people seriously think it would have been a good ending to have Batman die in some distant mushroom cloud? People actually think that?

name for me and a description some of the worlds other billionaires?
Donald Trump :)
12:30pm 27/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19640 posts
Like people seriously think it would have been a good ending to have Batman die in some distant mushroom cloud?

Making a heroic sacrifice to save his city? Giving his life to save everyone? Would have been more fitting than "and they all lived happily ever after".

I liked the movie, enjoyed it even more the second time I saw it, but it doesn't stop the ending from being dumb. I thought the scene with Alfred at the grave all torn up about how he'd failed Bruce was fantastic, then they just went and shat on it with their tacked on happy ending.
12:50pm 27/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17015 posts
i couldn't help but think old bruce matey would have let go of some rage rooting talia after like 8 years of just living in his mansion without any outside world contact
01:10pm 27/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36387 posts
09:43pm 01/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2600 posts
Lol. I thought freeman's character overreacted to that technology in the previous movie. The tech had pros and cons and provided it was strictly controlled and used for good, i think its positives would far outweigh the few privacy related negatives.
10:30pm 01/08/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2720 posts
Not sure if you got an answer for this but he said it was under his legal name when talking to the clerk, that to me sounds like he uses a completely different name and not an abbreviated one. I actually thought the John Blake character becoming the next Batman was the most interesting part so I hated the Robin reference as well.

I hated the whole end fight between the mob armed with AK's and the cops, it was way to Braveheart for me.

The baddies were totally s*** compared to previous movies and as others have said it's all down to their motivation. Talia hated her father, and then forgave him when Batman killed him and then decided to take up his cause... lame. Bane was just a dog on a leash in the end, lame again. Also the free energy that could solve so many world problems gets shelved because it could be abused? Hello high level security at any nuclear power plant! Hardy may have done a decent job as Bane but the character just lacked impact for me.

Catwomans mask looked corny as s*** as well, they should have given her goggles.

The ending was like the ending of the lord of the rings, it should have ended a few scenes earlier.

One thing I would have loved to have known was how they knew about the Applied Sciences division ot Wayne Enterprises. The only thing that makes sense is Mr Reece told them but he wasn't in the movie at all
11:17pm 01/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5904 posts
Lol. I thought freeman's character overreacted to that technology in the previous movie. The tech had pros and cons and provided it was strictly controlled and used for good, i think its positives would far outweigh the few privacy related negatives.

That worked out well for the batmobile prototypes i see..
11:23pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19672 posts
Not sure if you got an answer for this but he said it was under his legal name when talking to the clerk, that to me sounds like he uses a completely different name and not an abbreviated one.

Yeah, I picked that up when I saw it a second time, I think it was just cos the Clerk says something like "You should use your full name" that I was thinking he was using some kind of shortened version of it, but I guess the guys name is meant to be Robin John Blake. Still doesn't make it any less stupid though.
11:51pm 01/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21182 posts
It really does amaze me how bad you are at movies Khel.
11:54pm 01/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19673 posts
Hey, I liked the movie overall, but it doesn't stop that scene from being incredibly dumb.
11:56pm 01/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21183 posts
It's not dumb at all. It was Nolan playing a joke on the fans of the movie. His real name being Robin doesn't literally mean he is Robin the character from Batman. What Blake does and who he is after the movie has ended is completely up to audience speculation. Will be just become a Batman clone and play it exactly like Wayne did or is he going to change things up a bit - perhaps not wear a mask and use his real name like he alludes to in the movie?

My only big criticism of the film was Cotillard's performance. I found her bland compared to her performance in Inception where she was at times terrifying.
12:02am 02/08/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1105 posts
04:23am 02/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19674 posts
It's not dumb at all. It was Nolan playing a joke on the fans of the movie. His real name being Robin doesn't literally mean he is Robin the character from Batman.

The thing is, he essentially IS the robin character, just with a Nolan spin on it. And don't get me wrong, I liked that, after some initial misgivings John Blake actually ended up being one of my favourite characters in the movie (probably helped by a pretty damn good performance by Joseph Gordon Levitt). I just think it cheapened it though to then bludgeon the audience over the head with it by making his name Robin. It almost felt to me like something the movie studio would force on him, like Nolan had come up with this cool, subtle way to have a character that fills the space Robin would fill, without having Robin in the film, and then the studio was like "Nah, I don't think the audience will get it, do you think you could also make his name Robin?"
09:57am 02/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20783 posts
10:02am 02/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5037 posts
10:04am 02/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7247 posts

The way I understood what the clerk said was that his full name was "Robin John Blake".
11:37am 02/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13519 posts
Saw it last night at IMAX in Melbourne.

For a mindless action movie, as long as you don't overthink anything, I thought it was solid and entertaining.

7/10
01:54pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1583 posts
02:08pm 02/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21186 posts
One thing I would have loved to have known was how they knew about the Applied Sciences division ot Wayne Enterprises. The only thing that makes sense is Mr Reece told them but he wasn't in the movie at all
Ummm I guess you weren't paying attention during the end when BIG SPOILER Talia reveals she was on Bane's side. She would have known about the Applied Sciences division

edit: why is it editing out my spoiler tags?
05:22pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Vash
3583 posts
lol deadlyf, got owned there.
Movie was good, not as good as dark knightt, but... good. It did drag on abit though. f*****g long movie.
06:03pm 02/08/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2723 posts
Ummm I guess you weren't paying attention during the end when BIG SPOILER Talia reveals she was on Bane's side. She would have known about the Applied Sciences divisionedit: why is it editing out my spoiler tags?
Only Fox knew about the Applied Sciences division, maybe you missed the part where he said that and also said the entire thing is off the books when Wayne said he was worried about someone finding out about the arsenal.

But hey that was somewhere in the middle of a long ass movie so maybe you drifted off?
07:08pm 02/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21187 posts
Yeah but Talia knew Bruce Wayne was Batman from the beginning, and she knew Batman had a whole arsenal of cool stuff that he used. The only place he could have got it from is Wayne Industries.
07:13pm 02/08/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2724 posts
Yeah I guess, it's way more fun to speculate that Mr Reece was captured by the League of Shadows and under their harsh treatment for which he blames Bruce Wayne he becomes.... The Riddler!!!

But your way is more boring and likely.
07:23pm 02/08/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4861 posts
02:50pm 03/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19687 posts
Yeah, the amount of expression he could pull off with just his eyes and his eyebrows was awesome
03:12pm 03/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9966 posts
I never once noticed he was putting on expressions. I wasn't looking at his eyes, how could you look at his eyes when he has that cyborg vagina dentata strapped onto his face?
03:14pm 03/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21190 posts
Looks more like a goatse mask to me.
03:18pm 03/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7255 posts
Yeah but Talia knew Bruce Wayne was Batman from the beginning, and she knew Batman had a whole arsenal of cool stuff that he used. The only place he could have got it from is Wayne Industries.

Yeah, but he never revealed the location of it to her. Yet they were drilling up to it for ages before the two met. The meeting with Fox would indicate that the arsenal was actually stored right under Wayne Tower, because he only kept a limited selection of gear at Wayne Manor. There's a missing detail somewhere.
03:30pm 03/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9967 posts
I assume the r&d armory is hidden, but if you know that bruce wayne is batman (Which Liam Neeson / League of Shadows easily figured out in the first film) and that Lucius Fox is helping him using Wayne Enterprises resources (like Mr Reece easily figured out in the 2nd film) then the existence/location of the armory is easily deduced.

03:45pm 03/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21192 posts
Really there is a million ways the leak could have got out. There would have been a large amount of people involved in the design of the weapons down there, the fabrication of the materials, the construction of the weapons, the installation of the security systems etc etc. In normal circumstances it would be possible to keep this all under wraps but when you have people against you that are actually on the board (Daggart) working with the main antagonists of the film (Bane and Talia) then keeping things like massive weapon depots a secret is an impossibility. And remember Bruce and Fox trusted Talia enough to give her control of the fusion device. Bane's crew finding the weapon stash is completely reasonable.

I saw the movie again last night. It was 10x better the second time. I was almost in a daze the first time I watched. I couldn't believe my eyes that I was actually in the cinema watching The Dark Knight Rises. The plot made a ton more sense and some of the things that seemed off to me also were cleared up a bit. An example of one of them was I was initially confused why Batman showed up at Daggart's place to save Selina. How did he know she would be there? Well he didn't, but he knew Bane would be there because Alfred mentioned that Bane had worked with Daggart on an operation in West Africa. There were heaps of little moments like that which was good because I walked out of the cinema a little confused about some things initially.

I also managed to grasp a bit better some of the themes in the movie. Criticism has been levelled at how the movie has a fascist tone - that it takes either someone with lots of money and technology or the armed paramilitary organisation known as the police to save Gotham. Some people seemed to think it should be the citizens of Gotham rising up to save it. It would be nice if the movie did this, but the President himself said it in his speech "we have to accept realities". An unarmed and unorganised group is never going to be able to overthrow an armed and organised one. Plus the problem with Gotham that was introduced in Begins wasn't with the citizens, it was with the systems that were meant to be in place to protect them. A corrupt police force working in cahoots with organised crime is only going to erode society to a point of critical mass where society completely collapses. This collapse would have been assured had the League of Shadows been successful in the first movie. Bruce sees this, and decides to turn himself into a symbol in an attempt to inspire not just the citizens to demand something better, but for the police and justice system to right itself as well.

This was the Joker's major victory in TDK. Not only did he destroy Gotham's white knight in Harvey Dent, but he also destroyed Batman as a symbol. Luckily Batman and Gordon were able to salvage something out of it by blaming Dent's actions on Batman but it was a hollow victory for all of them. A victory that Gordon obviously felt guilt over and one that drove Bruce to become a recluse. I thought the way the movie rejected the ideals in TDK and the way it handled Bruce's redemption were excellent. The 'pit' symbolism was very effective in the whole trilogy, starting with Bruce falling down the hole in the first movie, to Bane rising out of the mid-air pit at the start, and finally Bruce lifting himself out of the pit towards the end of Rises. This is why Bruce dying at the end wouldn't have worked. He had already sacrificed so much for Gotham that to have him die at the end would have been depressive overkill. I had an emotional attachment to Bruce (giggity) in the movie, and admit I felt relieved and happy for him when I saw him alive at the end.

So basically the movie was everything I hoped it would be. It is in my opinion the finest trilogy ever made, and it's second part TDK might just be my #1 movie of all time. It still would have been even better if Ledger was alive, though :)
03:50pm 03/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5920 posts
Tl; dr
This is one of very few trilogies which actually was good in whole.
04:35pm 03/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17052 posts
fpot i think you and i are 1 with these movies
06:01pm 03/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21199 posts
Yep paveway I think you and I have a bit of a connection here. I almost like Nolan's Batman as much as teq's wife here likes Breaking Dawn - http://youtu.be/iGz9F1sQOPU?t=30s

Speaking of teq, where is that guy?
06:14pm 03/08/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2404 posts
on other movie related news.(not worthy of a new thread.)

Just saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
Basically a US circle jerk with alot of blood splatter
11:03pm 03/08/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6054 posts
I know what you mean fpot about feeling dazed the first time, I was the same, felt dumb for parts of it because there was so much to take in.

And yeah the second viewing was so much better, you can see how little scenes tie together that at first weren't apparent. And little clues and hints at future scenes via dialog, particularly early scenes between blake and wayne.
08:46am 04/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17054 posts
hoping to go see it again next weekend

08:54am 04/08/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6055 posts
8/10

Good action movie but... TDK > TDKR

also if I could eat Anne Hathaway's ass I could die a happy man.
11:04pm 04/08/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
689 posts
^+1

Looks more like a goatse mask to me.

Now cannot be unseen
11:22pm 04/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5984 posts
As for how they found the Armoury... they had extra tech working on 'The Bat' at the end of the movie. So it wasn't ever just Fox that new about it.
01:42am 05/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20796 posts
07:10pm 07/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21235 posts
That is... awesome.
07:20pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19704 posts
The screen is a bit tiny though, its just like a big tv
07:23pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20797 posts
Screen looks big to me. It's five of those seats wide so if that's a tv then it's f*****g huge.
07:41pm 07/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17068 posts
tv's are better than your average home projector anyway
07:44pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
311 posts
I saw it yesterday with my dad who hadn't been to the movies in 30 years, nor had he seen any of the new batmans. He enjoyed it. I thought it was an epic conclusion to the trilogy that was definitly on par with the 2nd one, if not better.

Never in my life before have I felt inclined to go see something at the cinema for a 2nd time, but this is tempting.
09:39pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
962 posts
11:08am 09/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20799 posts
So much better than the original song.
11:13am 09/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15687 posts
haha that was awesome
11:19am 09/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5948 posts
haha that was awesome

That was fantastic. No other words i can use.

Edit: This is old and not as funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPBgYeanZ0&feature=player_detailpage
12:56pm 09/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1635 posts
I've never read any of the comics or anything, seen the previous films.

I caught this on Friday at the Imax. So worth seeing it at the Imax, incredible experience both visually and audibly.

Overall I like the film, thought it was great, but not excellent - it was always going to be a near impossible task to live up to the impact of The Dark Knight, I think it's unrealistic to expect that and get overly upset about it. Having said that I still felt quite similar after seeing it as I did after the TDK, a bit dazed and like I'd been on an emotional roller-coaster.

Few points I noted:

1. I also didn't understand how Blake worked out Bruce was Batman - how'd he do dat? My main gripe.

2. I felt fine with Bane/Talia all working it out, it was fairly obvious once you knew a bit of back story, and they both did as having been associated with the league of shadows and being on the board of Wayne Enterprises.

3. I didn't see the Talia twist coming and was totes shocked when she 'literally' stabbed him in the back! P.S. They made it clear in past films that his armour wasn't 100% and she stabbed him in the back/side, not the front.

4. I thought the 'humanising' of Bane at the end was IMMENSE, the whole movie builds him up as a incomprehensible and unstoppable monster ("Do you feel in charge?"), then you realise he's human after all! I tear'd up yo.

5. I liked the end, so glad Bruce survived as it seemed like he wouldn't.

6. Thought Cat Woman was done very well, hats off to Anne Hathaway.

7. Did feel it was a bit long and they mashed it all together a bit at the end.

8. Some of the one liners were cheesy/corny, but they were just doing that as it's the last one! And it didn't detract too much.

As some have mentioned, I think a few of the purists here are missing the point that Nolan wanted these films and the trilogy to be about Bruce Wayne, not necessarily just Batman. I think if you understand that and think about the films a lot more of it makes sense and feels more right.
12:24am 14/08/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36451 posts
09:56am 24/08/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20857 posts
So I'm 2 months late watching this, but I've just watched this at the cinema...

Holy s*** this was EPIC!
10:08pm 18/09/12 Permalink
metalskeith
Melbourne, Victoria
10 posts
Watched it at the preview! The movie was EPIC, especially with a free energy drink!
06:38pm 23/10/12 Permalink
I3ighead
Brisbane, Queensland
7 posts
I wonder if there going to make a 4th
12:13pm 01/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:13pm 01/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.