AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
New series: the Newsroom
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7444 posts
I did a quick search as I couldn't, and still can't, believe this series has flow under the qgl radar. If this is a double, please delete.

The Newsroom is an American comedy-drama series created by Aaron Sorkin, which premiered on the premium cable network HBO on June 24, 2012.[1] Jeff Daniels stars as news anchor Will McAvoy, who takes a mandatory leave of absence after a public tirade against America during a political debate. Upon his return, he discovers that most of his staff has quit and that his boss Charlie Skinner (Sam Waterston) has hired his ex-girlfriend MacKenzie McHale (Emily Mortimer) as his new executive producer. She and Will immediately butt heads when she envisions the creation of a new kind of news show, where entertainment and ratings are irrelevant and facts are of primary importance. The series is executive produced by Aaron Sorkin, Alan Poul and Scott Rudin.

Do yourself a favour and watch the trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8ovJYAU3U
10:19pm 15/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:19pm 15/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15508 posts
i think someone posted this vid in a thread. i'm interested in seeing it but haven't got around to watching an ep yet.

10:23pm 15/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9893 posts
I watched like half an ep, found it really boring
10:27pm 15/07/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20722 posts
yeah i'm still not sold on it.....

It's very Sorkin,,,,but we'll just see where it goes I guess

Preferred Studio 60
10:29pm 15/07/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9111 posts
Just on new shows did anyone see The Boss with Kelsey Grammar ?
That show was kick ass.
10:40pm 15/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20715 posts
Looks interesting. I like Jeff Daniels and it's good to see him back in something.
10:48pm 15/07/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5073 posts
The Newsroom came up in the 'Recommend a TV Series' thread.
Only three episodes in and it's already come out swinging hard. Jeff Daniels (& the rest of the cast) is outstanding.

If you like Sorkin dramas it's a must watch, otherwise give it a try but if it hasn't captured you by the end of the first ep then it's probably not for you.
10:58pm 15/07/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18987 posts
I remember it being discussed. Didn't know it was airing, so thanks for the headsup.
11:08pm 15/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36345 posts
I reckon it's awesome so far. Like the West Wing, it makes me wish the world was a better place and makes me wonder why I'm not doing something to be a part of it.

I'm in the middle of watching West Wing at the moment and can't believe how good it is. So far it seems like Sorkin has done the same thing with news as he did with US politics - made it fascinating to watch and question the status quo.

Now I get all those irritating Sorkin fanboys.
07:07am 16/07/12 Permalink
taggs
6029 posts
love me some west wing, almost finished watching the whole thing for the bajillionth time.

this ones on the to-watch list.
07:12am 16/07/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3204 posts
First ep was ok, second ep was annoying, third ep was awesome. The scenes where they do the actual news are brilliant. Also agree with Trog; I love how Sorkin seems to be using it as a platform to point out all the s***** things about America.
07:17am 16/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7175 posts
I'm in the middle of watching West Wing at the moment and can't believe how good it is. So far it seems like Sorkin has done the same thing with news as he did with US politics - made it fascinating to watch and question the status quo.

Where are you up to?
It really kicks in at about season 3 and 4, maybe 5 a little. eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4DGUNWmiU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWOamlD9_8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk5NwLr3OmQ

last edited by Raven at 08:43:09 16/Jul/12
08:33am 16/07/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1963 posts
Newsroom is...ok. It's no Sports Night.
09:35am 16/07/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20723 posts
06:49pm 16/07/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20724 posts
West Wing is awesome, I have the boxset on DVD. I might re-watch soon.
06:49pm 16/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5075 posts
The West Wing was at its best when Sorkin realised it should all be about Bartlet and Josh.

Initially the program was meant to be primarily about Sam.
07:39pm 16/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7181 posts
Lies! The show died a little (okay, a lot) when Rob Lowe left. And instantly went back to its glory days when he briefly came back.
09:05pm 16/07/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
723 posts
it makes me wish the world was a better place and makes me wonder why I'm not doing something to be a part of it.

I love the West Wing too but after watching it i feel exactly the opposite. Like what did they actually achieve? As good intensions as people have it makes it seem near impossible to get anything done you set out to do.
05:44am 17/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6181 posts
Finished first 3 episodes on sunday and enjoyed it. There is heaps of dialogue and caught myself getting lost a couple times because of this.

Hopefully it stays the same format throught the series.
07:25am 17/07/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7445 posts
Last night's episode 4 was also good. I love how they are basing the events in the show on real events and news topics.
08:02am 17/07/12 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3473 posts
I reckon it's awesome so far. Like the West Wing, it makes me wish the world was a better place and makes me wonder why I'm not doing something to be a part of it.

Making my way through the West Wing for the 18000th time. Just into the start of season 6 again. I'm glad you finally get me trog.
10:33am 17/07/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5484 posts
I don't know if a term even exists but this whole show is very American. The idea that America was at any point in it's history objectively the best is a lie? misconception? falsehood? false hope? I can't think of the right word but you get my drift. The show constantly points out the bad in America but then the very next second the characters will shout how great it can be! or how great it was.

I do like the McAvoy though.
10:48am 17/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7184 posts
Last night's episode 4 was also good. I love how they are basing the events in the show on real events and news topics.

So it's like South Park? :D
10:57am 17/07/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6222 posts
I don't know if a term even exists but this whole show is very American. The idea that America was at any point in it's history objectively the best is a lie? misconception? falsehood? false hope? I can't think of the right word but you get my drift. The show constantly points out the bad in America but then the very next second the characters will shout how great it can be! or how great it was. I do like the McAvoy though.

Yeah, personally it seems corny as all f*** to me, setting up an idealised situation for the creator to let loose with their rant unopposed in a fictional scenario where everything goes smoothly and perfectly. Who can rattle off frequently fluctuating statistics like that except a fictional character or swamped academic of some field? Not to mention the misogynistic attitude, or conveniently forgetting that the past was built on hugely unequal rights for non-whites and women, or which generation is responsible for his country being the way that it is (And teenagers have caused all that destruction in the few months they've been able to vote?). I would bet that current generations score much better than previous ones when it comes to non magical thinking, lack of racist and misogynistic thought patterns, etc. Is it even the younger generations who have this ultra nationalistic attitude, or do they all pop up for the strawmen world?

Seems rose coloured trite to me, wasn't so long ago that the US was putting Japanese citizens in concentration camps and nuking cities of civilians. Here's a talk not based in the "louder I yell and more scathing that I am, the more insightful I am shown to be" attitude.

F***, I've become the dude from the video.
11:01am 17/07/12 Permalink
eK
Brisbane, Queensland
10539 posts
I've managed to push myself through all 4 eps so far, I like alot of it but the relationships between characters is really started to irritate me... too overwritten and trying too hard to be "smart" imho.
11:31am 17/07/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5486 posts
I don't think he was blaming teenagers for everything that is wrong with the country but saying they're a terrible generation. Terrible because of expectations, work ethic, responsibilities etc. That doesn't mean he is right though or that I am agreeing with him.

Yosemite is a cool though.
11:42am 17/07/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33999 posts
was sold on newsroom on the trailer.

that was a good trailer.

will check out.
11:43am 17/07/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1667 posts
I don't think he was blaming teenagers for everything that is wrong with the country but saying they're a terrible generation. Terrible because of expectations, work ethic, responsibilities etc

I think the biggest point I got from what he was saying is that younger Americans are still living with the legacy notion that there isn't really anything wrong with the country and things are being covered up by the media to continue the facade which then points to the big drive to provide news based on fact and not ratings.
11:50am 17/07/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6183 posts
About to show my ignorance/lack of knowledge with the next question.

During the speech in ep1 McAvoy says yosemite or yo sammity or however you spell it and the audience are in horror at this. Someone care to explain as to why there were?
12:14pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34000 posts
isnt he just saying that america is awesome due to yosemite park?
12:17pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5079 posts
Yeah his point was that America is not #1 at just about everything except the things you don't want to be #1 at, and was asking sarcastically whether she might be referring to Yosemite National Park because her question was just as absurd.

The audience was in horror because of his position as a high profile cable news anchor he might have made the same point without tearing 'sorority girl' a new a*******.
12:47pm 17/07/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7446 posts
I would tear sorority girl a new a******, too. just not in the same way.
03:06pm 17/07/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5487 posts
About to show my ignorance/lack of knowledge with the next question.

During the speech in ep1 McAvoy says yosemite or yo sammity or however you spell it and the audience are in horror at this. Someone care to explain as to why there were?

It is a national park. Massive one in America that brings in thousands of people. Yeosmite.
04:26pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3205 posts
4th ep was great too. Seems to be flowing much better now.
08:07pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5077 posts
finished the first three. loving it.
08:42pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7185 posts
lol, I just started watching it, starting of course with Sorority Girl scene.

I hope the rest of the show is this good ;P
Assistant is cute as hell, she's like a junior Anna Paquin.
08:47pm 17/07/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5078 posts
Assistant reminds me of the first chick from House.
08:02am 18/07/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7939 posts
I haven't watched the latest ep, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Jeff Daniels is great, and Olivia Munn is sexy.
11:34am 18/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7189 posts
Speaking of chick from House, Justin Bieber was at the Fox studios the other day, and I couldn't believe the resemblence to Odette Annable.

http://s1-05.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/618861392.jpg?key=491297
12:45pm 18/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16971 posts
lots of girls are going to be disappointed when he comes out of the closet
12:51pm 18/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7190 posts
Pft, as if he wasn't stooping Selena Gomez.
01:00pm 18/07/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20720 posts
I'm really liking Newsroom. The bits when they're reporting the news is a bit slow but everything else is good. Jeff Daniels is kicking some serious ass.
02:19pm 18/07/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7191 posts
He's certainly come a long way from Dumb and Dumber.
03:12pm 18/07/12 Permalink
Jimbo
Brisbane, Queensland
885 posts
Dunno what the f*** is wrong with your eyes raven
04:46pm 18/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36349 posts
Btw, Olivia Munn. It's so funny seeing her out of Daily Show. She is great (also hot).
06:01pm 18/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3026 posts
I must say i've been enjoying it, and this is better than the west wing (which was also written by aaron sorkin(sp))

and yes, oliiva munn, yum, I'm glad she can act (or at least has been giving a role in which any lack of acting skills doesn't show)

I also find the pacing to be rather good,
06:24pm 18/07/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7448 posts
how long till McAvoy and Olivia Mumm hook up? I give it ep 8.
06:28pm 18/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36350 posts
My only complaint about this show is the slightly OTT sexual tension between whatsherface and whatshisface. It's been full steam ahead right from the get go - I hope it kicks off or f**** off sooner rather than later.

Aside from that... why the f*** isn't Aaron Sorkin President of the United States of America?
06:50pm 18/07/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7449 posts

why the f*** isn't Aaron Sorkin President of the United States of America?

Insert McAvoy's 3 statistics that America does top the world in, and add obesity.
07:38pm 18/07/12 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1692 posts
He was a mad coke fiend so i'd guess he'd have a few too many skeletons in the closet trog
07:45pm 18/07/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34005 posts
he is also keen on mushies
05:45am 19/07/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7943 posts
The guy going out with whatserface looks like Trog.
06:23pm 19/07/12 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3511 posts
I'm halfway through the first episode and I'm really enjoying it.
09:09pm 24/07/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20743 posts
I vomited in my mouth a little at the end of the latest episode....
08:52am 25/07/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7450 posts
yeah, it was entirely unnecessary. it should have been left to the viewers to know it was him, but without the coach bulls***.
08:59am 25/07/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19010 posts
I am watching it but the show comes off as very tryhard preachy. i like a bit of intrigue. guess that's why I hated the west wing too.

last edited by infi at 09:37:04 25/Jul/12
09:35am 25/07/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20745 posts
Alison Pill boobies

NSFW

http://aciai.me/i/7hGgQ.gif
07:14pm 25/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3053 posts
noice
07:18pm 25/07/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2370 posts
Btw, Olivia Munn. It's so funny seeing her out of Daily Show. She is great (also hot).

Before Daily Show she was on AoTs, hhaaawt
07:19pm 25/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15785 posts
caught the first ep on foxtel the other night. i'm now 5 eps in and absolutely loving it.
09:54pm 26/08/12 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5349 posts
I thought Yosemite was like saying 'capiche' or whatever. "Do you understand?".

Also loving this show.
10:25pm 26/08/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4401 posts
The Newsroom came up in the 'Recommend a TV Series' thread.Only three episodes in and it's already come out swinging hard. Jeff Daniels (& the rest of the cast) is outstanding.If you like Sorkin dramas it's a must watch, otherwise give it a try but if it hasn't captured you by the end of the first ep then it's probably not for you.

F*** yeah. This show is fantastic. Best thing on TV in ages.
08:23pm 27/08/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4402 posts
Alison Pill boobiesNSFWhttp://aciai.me/i/7hGgQ.gif

The first time I saw this girl I thought her eyes where to close together, too Small and too high on her face. At least now I can think about her nice tits instead :-)
08:27pm 27/08/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
742 posts

What movie is this from?!
09:03pm 27/08/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12370 posts
I really did not dig the Osama episode a little while back.. But mostly because I didn't get in on the whole hysteria thing.. But they've turned it around since then for me.. I'm enjoying the finer details having significance later on in the piece
09:10pm 27/08/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6565 posts
What movie is this from?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342272/
09:40pm 27/08/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4057 posts
holy crap, she hasn't aged in 8 years
10:47pm 27/08/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7461 posts
so now the season 1 has come to an end, what's the verdict? I'm still loving it. The dialogue is a little too good to be true, but so what? It's great television. Sam Waterston is my favourite character, closely followed by Olivia Munn.
07:31pm 28/08/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7462 posts

holy s*** - those are nice boobies. shame about the head sometimes.
07:33pm 28/08/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36460 posts
so now the season 1 has come to an end, what's the verdict? I'm still loving it. The dialogue is a little too good to be true, but so what? It's great television. Sam Waterston is my favourite character, closely followed by Olivia Munn.
as usual with an HBO series, the season has ended and I hate the fact that we don't have sci-fi-esque suspended animation so I can simply put myself out until it resumes. I thought it was f*****g awesome!
08:38pm 28/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15803 posts
i only have 3 eps left to watch. i don't wont it to end.
08:42pm 28/08/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20804 posts
I just watched the finale, was awesome.

Can't wait for season 2.
09:19pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6014 posts
Finally got around to watching the first Ep after I saw this thread.
Was awesome, going on my to watch list. But I need more time in the days :/
09:25pm 28/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8182 posts
FINALE!? goddamn..
09:44pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20863 posts
I was hoping to see those guys get owned for fone hacking. Damn it!
09:52pm 28/08/12 Permalink
dranged
Melbourne, Victoria
2038 posts
I didn't realize it was the finale. In any case, it's come good. There's quite a bit of self-congratulatory bulls*** and quite frankly, wanking going on in this series, but I have to say this last episode sold me on the series. Looking forward to season 2!
10:46pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4058 posts
not crazy about the series, but it is interesting enough to keep watching

where is this sorkin planet where everyone converses at 300 words a minute and has genius comebacks without a moment's hesitation
04:14am 29/08/12 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1508 posts
I'm really enjoying the show. Halfway through the third episode. It's similar to Suits in that is has a bit of high brow humour and is generally excellently written :D
06:19pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
13574 posts
Found the political and social commentary and media introspection to be great, but do others here find the relationship drama to be utterly cringeworthy. So much of it is just so completely out of place next to the serious side of the show. That Sex and the City bus scene, wtf.

It's almost like the show is a self parody, in that like Newsnight couldn't get high ratings without covering fluff like the stripper trial, the HBO show itself is not confident that it could attract and retain viewers if it didn't give equal air time to ludicrously convoluted and tacky romance plots as it does to the intelligent and provoking social commentary.
07:49pm 29/08/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36468 posts
So much of it is just so completely out of place next to the serious side of the show.
Yeh. I found it sort of funny that the guy's name is Jim because that whole thing reminds me of Jim from The Office. Some of the moments have been pretty funny though so I have been putting up with it.
08:25pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20865 posts
but do others here find the relationship drama to be utterly cringeworthy

Yeah, it doesn't feel right. What I'd like to see is more of Sloan getting her gear off. That would make up for the cheesy love triangle thingy going on.
08:39pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6276 posts
Great ending for the season.

What do I watch now??
06:10am 30/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:10am 30/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close