Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Prometheus
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6108 posts
First and foremost this movie had me then just completely lost me. I can't pick the moment where it lost me.

Needing others to start commenting and help me answer some questions.

Hurry up and go see this movie already. 3D screenings sadly outweighs 2D screenings at all cinemas.
10:36pm 06/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:36pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19244 posts
I got some 2D gold class tickets for tomorrow night, f*** this 3D s***.

I didn't realise it had already started though, thought it didn't start till tomorrow! If I'd realised that I would have gone tonight

Without actually spoiling anything big, can you definitively say whether its part of the Aliens universe? Like a prequel or whatever? Cos Ridley Scott doesn't seem capable of giving a straight answer to that question.
10:38pm 06/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8908 posts
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/-NO-SPOILERS-Banner-lost-1105605_463_150.jpg

I havent been to the cinema for ages but I was thinking of going.

Is it worth 3D ?
not a fan of 3D but if it enhances the movie I might do it.
10:39pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6109 posts
3D advanced screenings tonight, just got back from carindale.

I'll be waiting for your thoughts Khel.

I despise 3D but it had some good moments in this film. I would love if it was 2D and 3D could just pop out at certain moments. 2 pairs of glasses at one times sucks balls.(normal pair and 3D pair)

last edited by Damo at 22:41:58 06/Jun/12
10:40pm 06/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15273 posts
heard it's good but doesn't live up to the hype.
10:49pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20521 posts
Going to see it Friday nite in gold class 2D. Been reading mostly negative things about it over at IMDB but that could be just fanboys getting their pantys in a bunch.
10:56pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6110 posts
Just read you need to stay till end of credits which I didn't do.

Don't think it's anything HUGE but could mean something.
11:09pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1657 posts
I wanted to read the reviews on imdb but 80% of them completely lay out everything that happens in the movie so I quickly stopped. Too much complaining. One guy said that it was as bad as Gladiator... I quite liked that movie. I think it's one of those movies you just have to watch yourself.
11:11pm 06/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36273 posts
This movie f*****g sucks. Don't waste your time. I was seriously ready to walk out after; only grim morbid curiosity to see if there was any redeeming parts at all kept me in my seat. But there aren't. It sucks right until the last few minutes.

If you want to avoid extreme disappointment, light spoilers: Spoiler:
don't go in expecting anything from the Alien universe at all. Think of it just like a separate sci-fi/horror movie and you might find it entertaining.
That wouldn't have done it for me; it was just so goddamn boring with these useless plain completely unmemorable characters. Half the scenes made me think Ridley was wishing he'd made Aliens - driving in a f*****g APC into a humid room while someone watches them on their suit cameras from command? Didn't we do that already?

Very disappointed.

edit: To be fair: Spoiler:
I am a big Alien fanboy and assumed, wrongly, there would be some semblance of Alien-stuff given that it was set in the Alien universe - Weyland Yutani, droids, space ships, scary stuff. If you go in with a different mindset it might be vaguely enjoyable, though I still don't see how.
11:14pm 06/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7041 posts
:-(
11:30pm 06/06/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13249 posts
I was about to come in and say I read trog's POV on Facebook, haha. Sounds crap.
11:48pm 06/06/12 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
23 posts

Uh oh... here... I was hoping... nnnnnnooooo

Maybe the batman movie will save the year....

trog you really make me not want to waste my money on tickets for it at all... I recently watched all the Alien movies, and have been watching old school sci-fi in hopes I'd get some good new stuff... Guess not.

Bummer, I might wait until DVD/bluray release.
11:54pm 06/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6824 posts
haha jesus.
trog's review is a trap, because anything that makes him that mad has to be seen to be believed.

One guy said that it was as bad as Gladiator...

haha that has to be a troll. gladiator was f*****g awesome!

last edited by reload! at 00:14:58 07/Jun/12
12:11am 07/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19245 posts
Spoiler:
So its not a prequel to Alien then? That ship isn't the ship out of Alien? I guess knowing that I can go in not expecting it to be an Alien-related movie and should enjoy it more
12:15am 07/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6825 posts
I thought it was widely publicised that it was only going to be alien related in the very loosest sense of the word. same universe, completely unrelated stories. This was made quite clear.
01:02am 07/06/12 Permalink
IronAwe
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts
This movie f*****g sucks. Don't waste your time. I was seriously ready to walk out after; only grim morbid curiosity to see if there was any redeeming parts at all kept me in my seat. But there aren't. It sucks right until the last few minutes.

If you want to avoid extreme disappointment, light spoilers: Spoiler:don't go in expecting anything from the Alien universe at all. Think of it just like a separate sci-fi/horror movie and you might find it entertaining. That wouldn't have done it for me; it was just so goddamn boring with these useless plain completely unmemorable characters. Half the scenes made me think Ridley was wishing he'd made Aliens - driving in a f*****g APC into a humid room while someone watches them on their suit cameras from command? Didn't we do that already?

Very disappointed.

edit: To be fair: Spoiler:I am a big Alien fanboy and assumed, wrongly, there would be some semblance of Alien-stuff given that it was set in the Alien universe - Weyland Yutani, droids, space ships, scary stuff. If you go in with a different mindset it might be vaguely enjoyable, though I still don't see how.

Dude, Ridley Scott has stated that there will be two more movies before it links up with the Alien movie. How you can say there was no semblance of Alien stuff if you are a fan of the alien movies is astounding.

Spoiler:
The whole race you see in this movie that they called engineers appears in the aliens movie, especially in the directors cut, as well as the spaceship that crashes. Leads me to believe you haven't seen the aliens movies recently??
01:09am 07/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1554 posts
I think Ridley, and the film people, made it pretty clear this wasn't an Alien prequel or sequel, just a universe cannon film. So if the reason everyone thinks its s*** is because it's not specifically about Alien or Aliens, I think that's a bit lame.

I'm booked to see it on the Imax on the 18th, so will proceed to stick my head in the sand until then.
02:32am 07/06/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
722 posts
I am a little worried but I will keep an open mind. I will be waiting for the bluray release to watch it though, stuff the cinema.

I have become a fan of the ALIEN and ALIENS in recent times. The first one is the best I think, 2nd one is cool because it was a little different, They went for a "combat movie" feel to it but still kept the alien feel to it. The movies afterwards are not good, watchable but no where near as good.

If this is the first of 3 it may be too soon to judge, Next one might provide some more clarity and that good old ALIEN feel.
05:27am 07/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15276 posts
Maybe the batman movie will save the year....

pfft avengers already did that
08:20am 07/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6994 posts
So far I've only heard reviews (and bad ones) of this movie from fans of the Alien movies, and people who were expecting another Alien movie. Most of those bad reviews seem to whinge on the basis that it's not an Alien movie.

At this point I'd be keen to see a review from someone who's never seen an Alien movie.
09:12am 07/06/12 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1684 posts
So I've only seen Alien, and I don't remember it at all.

This movie is bad. And I like ALL movies - seriously, I am the least picky person ever.

Spoiler-ish opinions:
Spoiler:
The story was boring, there were no big moments, it wasn't scary at all (and I'm a pansy when it comes to scary), the dialogue didn't even make sense half the time, the main actress looked like she was going to throw up the whole movie, many of the plot lines didn't add anything.
Worst of all, it started off with the worst premise - a spaceship of people who've never met! WTF?

Anyway, I'd feel bad if people didn't see it themselves, in case they like it, but seriously, it's not a good movie.
09:45am 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36274 posts
Dude, Ridley Scott has stated that there will be two more movies before it links up with the Alien movie. How you can say there was no semblance of Alien stuff if you are a fan of the alien movies is astounding.
I meant Spoiler:
literal Alien stuff - i.e, actual aliens. The Aliens-wannabes that they had were boring and uninspired and lacked ANY of the awesome Giger-ness that make the originals so terrifying. Instead we get super-snake and mega-squid.
. There is heaps of s*** from the "Alien universe", like the stuff I mentioned above.

The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the the movie feels like a crappy remix of Alien + Aliens. There's so many dumb choices made for the purpose of plot devices - and poor ones at that - that it was just boring.

I didn't know there were two other movies but that doesn't excuse what was, for me, a completely unenjoyable experience.
I think Ridley, and the film people, made it pretty clear this wasn't an Alien prequel or sequel, just a universe cannon film. So if the reason everyone thinks its s*** is because it's not specifically about Alien or Aliens, I think that's a bit lame.
I was aware it wasn't technically a prequel. It was just a BAD MOVIE.

That said... it is obviously a prequel. I won't explain why but a few people have touched on it above. If there's two more movies its prequel-ness makes much more sense to me, especially given how the movie ends.

I almost couldn't sleep last night because all I could think about were all the things that pissed me off. Unfortunately I didn't keep a list but here are a few things off the top of my head:
Spoiler:
- really? you're going to land on a new world and go into a mysterious constructed place and then take off your mask? Such a contrived plot device to make them vulnerable to whatever is in there.
- Old Weyland looked stupid. Why not get an actual old person, instead of Guy Pierce in a crappy rubber mask?!
- Why, at the end, did they bother making her run out of oxygen? She's alone, she's just survived major surgery and all this other horrible s*** - I think the drama is high enough already without having to suddenly make those suits completely f*****g useless (suits that were previously fine to let people camp out overnight in the cave WHILST SIMULTANEOUSLY SMOKING IN THEM).
- All the characters were flat and uninteresting, with the possible exception of David, the robot. Maybe I have over the top empathy to androids. But did anyone give a S*** about any of the other characters? I can't even remember any of their names, except David and Vickers. Compare that to the handful of characters in Alien and how bad it was watching them slowly get picked off one by one, or the marines that you came to know and love in the f*****g 10 minute introduction scene while they awoke from cold freeze.
- The response "because I choose to believe it is so" when asked the reasonable question "what makes you think these people made us and thus, why the f*** are we here?" was stupid. The ENTIRE premise of the trip is founded on a star map and some pictures of big people and the rest of it seems like wild-ass assumptions that are never explained or fully grounded.
- By the way, why is the alien DNA exactly the same as humans but they are like twice as tall as us?
- OK seriously I get that you always have to have characters running away from something. But in the last scene when Vickers and whatsherface were running from the giant rolling-like-a-wheel spaceship, they both ran in a straight line directly in the path of its roll. Then eventually whatsherface fell over and rolled literally 3 feet sideways and was safe. Vickers fell and sat there and watched it crush her.
- The ship has no weapons? But they have handheld weapons, and people there for "security". They flew a billion miles towards a probably alien civilization and figured that the only fight they were likely to get into was a minor firefight with weapons, that as it turned out couldn't even stop one crazed infested humanoid?
- Speaking of that one crazed infested humanoid. Probably the highlight of the movie was that guy folded up at the door of the ramp. Except then he turned into a zombie. That would have been a billion times scarier if he'd just been left there dead.
- Why in the f*** was the autodoc configured to only work on men? It was in a lifeboat where the intended passenger was a woman.
- Why in the f*** does the autodoc not have a proper anesthetic? WORST FUTURE DEVICE EVER.
- I was probably rolling my eyes so might have missed something here, but didn't she just get sutures from the autodoc after her MAJOR STOMACH SURGERY? After 30 seconds of running around her guts would have been bleeding and flapping open all over the place.
- Why were all these aliens connected to their host by a placenta and umbilical cord? The entire Alien universe is based on these things being these horrible parasites, right? The humans that host them are NOT pregnant. They're infested.

I know the obvious answer to all these is "just shut the f*** up and enjoy the movie" but they just make the whole thing seem silly and inconsistent and I can't relax and enjoy anything when there is all this lame stuff happening.

I certainly wasn't expecting it to be Alien/Aliens, but I just found it to be too close to both of those movies in a lot of parts without capturing any of the good stuff of either of them. I am happy to concede a lot of this might just be fanboy rage but really I just thought it was a poorly executed movie in general.
09:56am 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36275 posts
Just read you need to stay till end of credits which I didn't do.

Don't think it's anything HUGE but could mean something.
For those that stayed til the end, what happens?
09:57am 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20788 posts
Before I go and read too much into trog's review I need to know one thing: how awesome did you think The Dark Knight was?
10:13am 07/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6111 posts
How the hell do i do spoiler tags I can't remember!!
10:17am 07/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20525 posts
The dark knight was boring. What's that got to do with this movie?
10:18am 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20789 posts
Well as you have just proven, if you didn't like the Dark Knight then your opinion can be instantly discarded when it comes to talking about movies which are good and which aren't.
10:20am 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36278 posts
Before I go and read too much into trog's review I need to know one thing: how awesome did you think The Dark Knight was?
It was pretty good but not fully awesome. Certainly better than 95% of the s*** that I've seen in the last few years but I could still pick a few holes in it. (I love Batman AND Aliens)
<spoiler>
10:23am 07/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3553 posts

I was just trying to work that out myself, needs to be in the FAQ.
10:25am 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36280 posts
If you want to read a review that is less foamy and frothy at the mouth that is basically what I am saying, this is a good one that pretty much matches what I think: "In Space No One Can Hear PROMETHEUS Disappoint".
11:28am 07/06/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3657 posts
The dark knight was boring. What's that got to do with this movie?

I think you and I are the only ones on this forum that has the same opinion. we should like catch up and be friends.
11:57am 07/06/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3658 posts
holy s***, just checked IMDB and it has currently got a rating of 7.9/10. The way you lot are carrying on I thought it'd be lucky if it got a 6/10.
12:00pm 07/06/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9717 posts
Movies that are out at the moment usually have a higher rating. A lot of people going to the movies, haven't seen a lot of movies before, and therefore this is the best movie they've seen. Wait for the next generation of 8 year olds.
12:09pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6020 posts
I almost couldn't sleep last night because all I could think about were all the things that pissed me off.

Pretty much the only thing that I read in this thread, and amused me immensely.
12:14pm 07/06/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16839 posts
well considering rev's previous history with movies, it is hard to take his opinion credible

the dark knight rises is going to be MOTY
12:16pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6996 posts
I dunno, The Avengers was pretty freaking awesome. Do you really think it will top that?
12:25pm 07/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6827 posts
only reason rev didn't like the dark knight was because it didn't have mandy moore or justin bieber
12:28pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20790 posts
The Avengers was flashy entertainment and really really good but The Dark Knight (and Dark Knight Rises hopefully) is Goodfellas and The Godfather levels of awesome. If The Dark Knight Rises lives up to its hype it will make Nolan's Batman trilogy the best trilogy ever.

The Dark Knight is runner-up MOTD for me. There Will Be Blood just has it beat.
12:37pm 07/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3217 posts
I presume best trilogy apart from back to the future, am I right?
12:58pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36281 posts
I just discovered that one of the writers of Prometheus was a writer on Lost. So that explains a few things. If you like the sort of bulls*** that they do in Lost you might find this more entertaining.

Reading positive reviews on my lunch break to find out why people liked it, but I can't reconcile any of their positive points with the movie I saw, with the exception of David being the best character, which I mentioned above.
01:02pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20791 posts
Nope better than Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars (yes Star Wars is a trilogy, what other three movies?). Also Godfather was only two movies so that isn't a trilogy.
01:07pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33803 posts
I presume best trilogy apart from back to the future, am I right?

you saw the second and third moofies in this series right?

Lord of the Rings

hhahaha, you are hi-larious
01:30pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20792 posts
Time to apply the test: Spook what did you think of TDK?
01:35pm 07/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6828 posts
godfather is only two movies?..
01:48pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20794 posts
Yep :)
01:55pm 07/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6829 posts
just because ffc f***ed up and made a s*** third movie doesnt save the first two.

hard to see how nolen could possibly f*** up this third one but I would say bourne trilogy also comes pretty close to perfection. for its genre of course.
02:09pm 07/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3555 posts
godfather is only two movies?..

As much as there is only three star wars movies.
02:10pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20796 posts
What do you mean doesn't save the first two? Godfather and Godfather Part II were utterly brilliant. Godfather Part III was just so meh. I knew it was s*** the second it started of with a voiceover. I mean a voiceover? In a Godfather movie? :(

I have only seen the first two Bourne movies. They were good but there was nothing particularly memorable about them imo.
02:12pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
656 posts
Ok can someone please tell me what came after the credits, I had to leave to go to work.
02:31pm 07/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5390 posts
Everyone in this thread has terrible taste in movies because they are different from mine.
02:34pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20797 posts
Usually I'd agree with the sentiment behind your post Greazy but when it comes to TDK it is objectively good and if you don't like it then you must be broken in some way.
02:37pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
818 posts
F*** this, I got gold class tickets for Tuesday. I should of stayed away from this thread (regardless that people are using spoiler tags). Now I have doubt until next Tuesday :(
03:10pm 07/06/12 Permalink
IronAwe
Sydney, New South Wales
5 posts
I can't actually fault anything Trog says in his post above, he's pretty much bang on the money and even left out a few ridiculous things. The Spoiler:
autodoc surgery thing can be explained as it wasnt meant for charlize, it was meant for the old guy pearce dude
but still even with all the stuff you point out... I still enjoyed it and am still excited for the next ones. Please don't judge me. Also, as far as im aware Spoiler:
height isn't genetic, it's environmental, but I could be wrong there

Other movies I love:

Drive, Alien, Aliens, Pans Labarynth, The Blues Brothers, please judge me on these films and not the fact that I enjoyed Prometheus.
03:13pm 07/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6830 posts
oh just that you can't claim it's not a trilogy just because number 3 sucks. first two are ok.. I guess :p
03:14pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36282 posts
^ Yep fair enough to your first point. I still think it is dumb and unnecessary that it wasn't "calibrated" for both. Do computers in the future have limited hard disk space or something?!@#
03:15pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6113 posts
Hell must have frozen over as I agree with fpot. haha

Spoiler:

1. Why did Weyland bother faking his own death to even show up at the end? Completely pointless to me.

2.Why was Vickers even in the movie, her character brought nothing to the story apart from telling us Weyland was her father.

3. Why was David never questioned about any of his motives? Is it because he was made to be more human so everyone else was like "We'll just ignore what he's doing beccause he's being a human"

4. David roofied holloway then holloway roots Shaw. Shaw becomes pregnant while Holloway starts to turn. David wasn't suprised at either of these incidents, it's like he expected it. Did he know something?

5.When Shaw is on the table and medics are in radioactive suits she fights them then gets c-sec. She re-appears and no ones asks why all the blood and staples and no wearing radioactive suits.

6.David studied many languages in the hope of communicating with the engineers. But how did he know exactly what to say or even to press to activate doors and the crappy static holograms. Symbols would have changed quiet a bit over time, bloody good guess by a droid to be spot on first go.

7.How did the facehugger at the end become the size it was?

8. Captain and co-pilots were more useless characters. "Oh hi, we'll just sit in the background entire movie then at the last moment we'll sacrifice ourselves to save humanity."

03:22pm 07/06/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9719 posts
I was never interested in this movie, even less so since hearing it's a prequel to that boring as bat s*** Alien movie. The only reason I would see it is because Prometheus was the name of a Stargate episode/ship and someone said the movie had similar themes to Stargate. I avoided watching the trailer but the bits and pieces I saw did seem quite military/sci-fi/archaeology based.
But I might wait for the VHS now that all these people didn't enjoy it. Too much other good s*** to see atm, and I hate cinemas.

last edited by thermite at 15:24:41 07/Jun/12
03:23pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36283 posts
Damo - hell yes to your points 7 and 8. I forgot about them.
03:26pm 07/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5392 posts
Usually I'd agree with the sentiment behind your post Greazy but when it comes to TDK it is objectively good and if you don't like it then you must be broken in some way.

I liked it but not so much as you and other f*** in this thread. Movie of the Decade? That's a big call.

P.S you are crazy.
03:29pm 07/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20799 posts
There Will Be Blood is MOTY noob.
03:33pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4912 posts
that boring as bat s*** Alien movie

I was reading but you lost me about here.
03:34pm 07/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3556 posts
Apparently there was 21 minutes of footage cut from the theatical release presumably being saved for a bluray director's cut. Question is can an extra 21 minutes of footage pull the story together?

I would agree with most of the question raised above, couple things I picked up on:

Spoiler:
How do Milburn and Fifeild manage to get lost when they decided to head back to the ship when the others had no trouble in their 15 minute mad rush and the mapping devices had all mapped out all the tunnels that lead them up to that point

Spoiler:
When the ship comes crashing back into the planet towards the end of the movie, surely the shear impact of that thing hitting the ground would have knocked both Vickers and Shaw on their asses. I'm being nitpicky there though, shaw do a single roll to avoid being squashed was much more ridiculous given the size of that ship.

It was a visually stunning movie and dare I say if you've got the money splash and a couple free hours, it's worth seeing just for the visuals on the big screen. The scene's in space looked pretty rad in IMAX.

last edited by tspec at 15:59:07 07/Jun/12
03:57pm 07/06/12 Permalink
IronAwe
Sydney, New South Wales
6 posts
Damo, point 7 is the biggest one, first thing I said to my mate when we left the cinema was about that very thing. You guys are seriously changing my opinion about the film. Hahaha... Points 1 and 2 are massive as well. Maybe I wont be recommending this after all....
04:02pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36284 posts
tspec - your first point reminded me of another one: Spoiler:
Why, when they go back in looking for those two deads*** characters that got stuck in the thing, do they have to run in there yelling "HEY WHERE R U?" They have everyone's position on their fancy pants 3d mapping system - you see several times that they have that tracking in real time. Btw that sort of system sure would have come in handy on LV426.
04:10pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6114 posts
Spoiler:
With them going back in, how the hell did David get a dune buggy in there? I remember everyone bending over into a gap in the wall to get where they needed to be.
04:17pm 07/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3557 posts
Spoiler:
Why would they experiement with an alien (humanoid) head completely unprotected? Seems more logical to have them at least suited up or working remotely with robotic arms with the head contained in a sealed room. It was also far fetched they were able to get that kind of response out of it just by jolting an electrical current into it after it being dead for 2000 years regardless of how well it was perserved. Though the head was contained in a helmet, it would have still been exposed from being decapitated.
05:10pm 07/06/12 Permalink
IronAwe
Sydney, New South Wales
7 posts
tspec - not that it changes the ludicrousy of the situation but I do remember them Spoiler:
scanning the head and saying there were no contaigens or bad bacteria or something etc etc, but still, you are right. Stupid. Almost as stupid as taking your helmet off on a foreign planet just because it has 'breathable' air.
infact that whole scene seemed rather pointless.
05:17pm 07/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3559 posts
Spoiler:
True, no contaigens in their database though you could argue they're dealing with a completely unknown elements their scans may not detect :) but yeah, that's probably getting a bit nitpicky again as I would normally lookover that type of thing in any other movie.
05:30pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36286 posts
I had forgotten about that whole scene. That was ludicrous. And like most of the stuff that happened, it wasn't explained or even mentioned again.
06:11pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1555 posts
It's not fairing too badly on Rotten Tomatoes, 75% - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

If his past films are anything to go by, usually his directors cuts are a lot better as the studio makes him cut out stuff he doesn't want to cut.
06:27pm 07/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4728 posts
Just saw it and it was alright. Not amazing but not terrible. Stupidest scientists ever. Spoiler:
Oh the robot who totally doesn't seem evil at all, says it's breathable air so lets take our helmets off. There is this snake looking thing hissing at you and trying to strike you, LETS TOUCH THE F*****G THING. I have an alien baby inside me and the totally not evil robot is saying that the ship isn't equipped to take it out, lets use surgery equipment meant for only men to take out this alien baby with a claw game hand. Oh the foetus thing popped and poured horrible, unknown liquid, germs and god knows what else into your open stomach wound? It's ok because your the main character and, unfortunately, can't die even though you are f*****g annoying as hell. Also she only grunts, groans and whines for the last half hour of the movie

last edited by DM at 22:03:10 07/Jun/12
10:02pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7895 posts
Trog is very bad at movies.
10:09pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19248 posts
I must not be as picky about trivial details or something, cos most of the points being brought up as negatives are things that didn't even occur to me while watching it, or didn't affect my enjoyment of it. Yeah, I enjoyed it, really enjoyed it actually, I mean its not the classic sci-fi movie I was hoping it would be, but it was still really good I thought. Amazing visuals, great sound, really epic feel to everything, and I was never bored at all. Even when nothing was really happening, I was just drinking in the atmosphere and the setting and I just really enjoyed it.

I think people need to not get so hung up on it being an Aliens movie, because its not an Aliens movie. Its a whole new movie, with a whole new premise, with a couple of nods to the Alien franchise and a few references to it. But if you go in there expecting a continuation of the Aliens story, or a movie which sets up the first Alien movie, then you're going to come out disappointed, because that isn't what it is.

Its more a mystery, about the origins of mankind, and that whole "Chariot of the gods" type theory that it was aliens that are responsible for man's evolution (not really a spoiler since thats the very first thing you see when the movie starts). While it intersects a little with the mythology of the Alien movies, its not the driving force. If you want to see it though, I'd say definitely see it at the movies, the visuals and sound are worth it.

Spoiler:
And I think questions about why the facehugger (which wasn't actually a facehugger, it was just facehugger-ish) was so big, or why the infection/infestation didn't happen the same way as the Alien movies, is just missing the point. David says theres other ships, which implies there is also other facilities. The engineers are trying to develop a bio-weapon of mass destruction to wipe out humans, who says they don't have lots of different projects on the go? Maybe the Xenomorphs in the later Aliens movies were one of their projects, and the stuff we saw in Prometheus was another of their projects. Maybe the stuff in Prometheus was an early attempt, and the Xenomorphs are a later version/evolution of the same weapon, hence the similarities.

But that wasn't the point of the movie, I think that scene at the end with the giant facehugger-ish alien and the Xenomorph-ish thing that bursts out of the engineer kind of spoiled the movie a bit, it was so obviously a "Look, Aliens rreference!" moment for the fans, just wasn't necessary, because that wasn't what the movie was about.

Also, there was no scene after the credits when I saw it.

Spoiler:
It was also far fetched they were able to get that kind of response out of it just by jolting an electrical current into it after it being dead for 2000 years regardless of how well it was perserved

It wasn't just an eletrical jolt, it was something Weyland Industries invented that can trick something dead into thinking its alive again, and getting the brain of a dead thing to work again. Only learned that myself from reading the Weyland Industries website, and I guess you could say it doesn't make it any less far fetched, but its a sci-fi movie, theres always going to be future science magic

10:27pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36289 posts
From Khel:Spoiler:
"David says theres other ships, which implies there is also other facilities. "

We know immediately that there are other ships, because they land on LVsomethingsomethingsometihng, right - i.e., not LV426, the scene of the other movies.

"Look, Aliens rreference!" moment for the fans, just wasn't necessary, because that wasn't what the movie was about."

I thought there were way more Aliens references elsewhere. I was already catatonic by that point so that scene (which was clearly just trying to link the biowarfare stuff we'd already seen with the eventual thing that Aliens ended up evolving into)

Trog is very bad at movies.
I have high expectations when people are getting paid millions of dollars to write scripts. I'm sick of hundreds of millions of dollars going into these things and billions of dollars getting made out of them when there are so many obvious criticisms that can be made about how thoroughly terrible they are.

It's basically a series of bad decisions that you have to suspend your disbelief about long enough to forget the last one happened and thus create a series of events that seem to tie together logically. I no longer have the capacity to do that unfortunately.

I agree with Khel that it was visually awesome. I heard an interview w/ Guy Pierce on JJJ where he said apparently Ridley still goes old school and assembles all the sets; there was very little CG stuff in that area. I thought all that stuff looked fantastic, though I would have liked to see some more Giger (e.g., those weapon canisters - could they have been any more boring? Totally out of place with the rest of the space jockey stuff.)
11:02pm 07/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36290 posts
Heh Ebert's review is finally online and again I can't help but wonder if we saw the same movie.
"Her later showdown with a waning oxygen supply shows equal resourcefulness..."
Ummm. Didn't she just walk to the escape pod and refill her oxygen tank? What was resourceful about that?
11:10pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7897 posts
I more or less agree with Khel. Most of what's being complained about here seems really nit-picky to me, and didn't distract me at all from the film. Yeah, it did cross my mind that the big face-hugger thing seemed to get absurdly huge without any apparent food/whatever to make it grow. And yeah, the two guys who got lost did act like cliché movie fodder just for the sake of tension, but whatever, it's a movie, and I don't feel it really detracted from anything in the end. It was a cool sci-fi action film with some obvious nods to the Alien universe, and it left me wanting to know more.
11:26pm 07/06/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
658 posts
After some internets searching I found that after the credits it comes up Spoiler:
Weyland Logo - Previous Footage is the property of Weyland Corp.

Also what always bothers me Spoiler:
when something is falling and they run, go f*****g sideways, run to your left or right, this thing is huge and long, your running for a couple minutes hoping to out run the length... GENIUS
12:14am 08/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4913 posts
Went and saw this tonight. It's not a bad flick. It's certainly not an Alien film but is in the canonical Alien universe and so can't avoid comparisons with the franchise. It doesn't hold a candle to the original two Alien movies, but nowhere near as bad as some of the posts above would make it seem. I think it fares well against Alien 3 or any of the later ones, but that's not saying much really.
Sure, the screenplay is quite bad and nonsensical in places, but the visuals are superb and many of the actors do a fine job considering the script they were handed, particularly Michael Fassbender.

The main problem is the writing, and seriously way, way too many characters to give a s*** about. They should have fired Lindelhof, got someone else to do a rewrite to tidy up all the bulls*** plot holes and ran with the result. I doubt 21 minutes of footage on the cutting room floor could save the story.
12:30am 08/06/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
677 posts
I didn't pay too much to the lead up (i think hype gets in the way of just enjoying a movie) but it thought it well obvious it was meant to be separate to the alien movies (same universe though)
I thought it was solid and i REALLY enjoyed the film. it's definitely one of the better sci-fi films i've seen in a while.
12:47am 08/06/12 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1909 posts
I walked out after the movie thinking WTF did i just watch ?? i havent been this disappointed in a movie since Dark Knight..... 3/ 10 from me crap plot and useless characters.
08:18am 08/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4914 posts
It's destined to be a really audience polarising movie it seems. I guess i'd sum it up as your ultimate enjoyment of the movie relies strongly on how willing you are to forgive the stupidity of the storyline. I thought it wasn't too bad overall, & worth watching.

I do hope they green light a follow up sequel if only to give the creators of the movie a chance to atone for all the mistakes they made this time around.

Edit:
Heh, I just read Ebert's review and he's being extremely kind from the perspective of a film critic, but he did admit a small bias early on in the review. Margaret Pomeranz & David Stratton looked at it more objectively.
08:56am 08/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6116 posts
How was TDK disappointing?
09:20am 08/06/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2792 posts
F*****g hell some of you guys are depressing. I liked the movie, it had a great level of tension and suspense which I felt was carried through really well.

Where their issues, sure, but holy f*** there's a lot of b****ing and moaning for the sake of it.

I'm not going to sit here and debate or defend some of the things people have said because it's pointless - you enjoy the movie or you don't. To those of you who haven't seen it though - I enjoyed Alien and Aliens, and hated Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection - I enjoyed this movie.

If you are wanting to see it, see it, don't let the more depressing people in this thread convince you it's terrible. It's really realy not (IMO).
10:57am 08/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36291 posts
I can certainly imagine people being able to watch it and enjoy it if they can suspend their disbelief at stupid plot elements and sheer terribleness. If you're capable of ignoring those things, you'll probably have a blast. It's visually spectacular and Charlize looks great in a jumpsuit.
11:19am 08/06/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2793 posts
Trog, the majority of your comments weren't about the story being terrible or whatever, half of them were just nitpicking at the smallest of things. I agree with you somewhat about the characters being a bit flat. Also, half of the things you nitpicked at could be easily explained away if you weren't already so enraged about the whole movie.
11:48am 08/06/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1138 posts
I enjoyed the movie but I too have been left thinking WTF? Somethings I can only explain by assuming? so these are all assumptions that make sense to me.

Spoiler:
It was explained that the MedLab was installed for bypass surgery, obviously with Weyland on board it was for him as it when Shaw sees it for the first time, queen mega b**** says 'Its expensive and only 12 in the world blah blah blah', and she can obviously run after having her stomach ripped out because she was doped up on meds and I'd imagine medicine 80 odd years from now would be quite advanced!.

As for the Alien inside of her having a umbilical cord remember she fell pregnant with it when Holloway f***ed her when he was infected, hence why it was more of a child birth instead of the traditional parasite in the Alien movies.

Where did the Professor go who had the broken hand, I can't recall seeing him again? The Zombie dude was the rock man who had his face burnt off with acid, I'll assume the parasite took control of his brain perhaps hence he seemed to have similar movement to a Alien/Xenomorph the way he was climbing up vehicles and banging heads in.

I don't understand why the engineers all ran into the egg chamber during the holofootage, why run in there when it's what kills them? and what were they running for? and why was there another 'Tomb' that the guy doctor (holloway) found with a picture of an Alien Queen on the front?

The final scene when Shaw was in the lifeboat taking off her helmet and she can hear the banging in the Med Bay felt just like Alien all over again. When Ripley had to suck the Alien out into Space.

11:51am 08/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6117 posts
Spoiler:
The professor with the broken hand(Arm) was dead in the cannister room when they went back the next morning. What I realised yesterday was that the worm which attacked him were the worms which you saw after David lifted his foot the first time they went into that room. The black ooze had mutated them.
11:56am 08/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36292 posts
Trog, the majority of your comments weren't about the story being terrible or whatever, half of them were just nitpicking at the smallest of things. I agree with you somewhat about the characters being a bit flat. Also, half of the things you nitpicked at could be easily explained away if you weren't already so enraged about the whole movie.
my comments are EXACTLY about the story being terrible! That is what most of the movie critics on RT are picking apart too.

I can appreciate that they seem small, but for me its the small things that matter, especially when there's just so many of them. Even people who enjoy the movie can admit that it has a lot of really dumb things that the characters do.

It creates this massive feeling of inconsistency that makes me feel like they were just throwing ideas at a dartboard to decide what should happen as the plot progressed.
12:16pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4915 posts
I enjoyed Alien and Aliens, and hated Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection - I enjoyed this movie.

Yeah, I can relate to that. To me it's clear that Ridley Scott was trying to echo the same themes and mystery as when John Hurt was exploring the original ship, but I think it fell well short of that.

I reckon trog's big long list of complaints are entirely valid though, this movie has more than it's fair share of loose threads, contrivances and gaping plot holes. I enjoyed it regardless though. Charlize Theron certainly does look great in a jump suit.
12:21pm 08/06/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
678 posts
If you're looking for gaping plot holes, watch The Legend of Chun Li. This movie just has some things added purely for suspense and left other things unexplained. It's not a "walk out of a film" bad. Even Aliens has it's inconsistency.
12:26pm 08/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36293 posts
Charlize Theron certainly does look great in a jump suit.
I thought the movie was going to be redeemed when she started skinning up to get into that space suit thing but we didn't even get that :(
12:58pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19255 posts
Sick of using spoiler tags, if people are reading this far into the thread and haven't seen the movie then they're stupid!

I don't understand why the engineers all ran into the egg chamber during the holofootage, why run in there when it's what kills them? and what were they running for? and why was there another 'Tomb' that the guy doctor (holloway) found with a picture of an Alien Queen on the front?

Yeah, that struck me as a bit weird, I figured they were probably infected though, and running in there to seal themselves in before they turned or spawned xenomorphs or whatever, cos it looked like that last dude collapsed as he got to the door so I figured he collapsed from being infected.

There were definitely inconsistencies and stupid character moments, I guess I was just able to overlook them cos they didn't really bother me. Like how the scientists dudes somehow got lost trying to find their way out, or how the biologist guy kept trying to play with the angry alien snake that was obviously aggressive towards him, or how everyone just took it so calmly in their stride when Shaw turns up at the end covered in blood and slime with a stapled c-section wound, but tbh they didn't bother me more than a few seconds while I thought "ok, thats a bit far fetched", then I was back into the movie.

Also, why was the biologist guy so quick to leave when they found the body of the alien? Wasn't he like a xeno-biologist or something fancy? Wouldn't that be like the most amazing discovery he could ever hope to find? I would have thought he would have been super excited to examine an alien corpse, but he was all "F*** this I'm outta here with the crazy rock guy who until 5 minutes ago hated my guts".

I mean, it was stuff like that which definitely kept it from being an all-time classic for me, but I still thought even despite that stuff it was still pretty good, above average for sure, just not a classic.

In fact, the biggest inconcistency that almost spoiled the movie for me was one that wasn't actually true. Because I couldn't remember what the designation of the planet in Aliens was, I just assumed Prometheus was happening on the same planet, and I was thinking "this is bulls***, are they expecting me to believe when the people find the ship in Alien and Aliens they didn't see the huge open hangar in the ground, or the wreckage of the Prometheus scattered all around?", and it wasn't till I got out of the movie that my brother told me it was a different planet.
01:44pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6118 posts
From someone on OCAU...

Notice the holes in the sarcophagi? Black goop mixed with Engineer DNA to form face huggers. Face huggers impregnated Engineers. Chest burster aliens came out of engineers. Engineers flee and 3 of the 4 that got to the cryo sleep things were already impregnated. One wasn't. Aliens killed all the engineers then aliens died out/went elsewhere.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HJGmCJIpG-o/T3CRsIFGOxI/AAAAAAAACqE/JOPiqG4dHNg/s1600/dg00eb.jpg

02:00pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7001 posts
This is a leaked early plot synopsis for what was supposedly Prometheus, but then a few months later was changed to not resemble it at all.

I desperately want to see a movie made of the below synopsis, as it sounds awesome:

Earth. Year 2058. Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God’s home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission. Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.
02:29pm 08/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3560 posts
Interesting, I read somewhere the other day Paradise was tipped to be the name of the sequel if it goes ahead.
02:39pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33812 posts
Time to apply the test: Spook what did you think of TDK?

sorry, missed this.

i only just saw it recently.

i thought it was excellent, surprisingly. (in that i wasnt expecting it to be so awesome)
04:40pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1520 posts
06:06pm 08/06/12 Permalink
lmnt
Brisbane, Queensland
1660 posts
I didn't think it was too bad. Character building was s***, plot was pretty cool, overall didn't leave the the cinema feeling sour or anything.
06:22pm 08/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20527 posts
Just got back from Garbo and I reckon it was f*****g cool. It didn't feel like an Alien movie at all but for what it was it was damn cool sci-fi. The only thing I found dumb was Shaw and David flying off into the sunset in the alien ship. Everything up to that point was pretty cool. And the alien hatching from the engineer was dumb also. They should have had him make it back to the ship and get in the seat thingy and try and take off and have the alien bust out of his chest then.

But overall it's definitely worth seeing. Just don't expect it to feel like the old Alien movies.
08:52pm 08/06/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5950 posts
it's pretty hard to top bad ass dialogue like this.

08:44am 09/06/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2083 posts
lolz

02:48pm 09/06/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1063 posts
Trog
It's not an 'Aliens' movie (read, xenomorph that features in 'Alien' and then goes on to appear in Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection)
Sure there are some 'tarded plot points (completely agree with some of the 'discovery' scenes, and there wasn't enough shown before they just attempted to 'kick-start' that 'space jockey's head, maybe that's some of the 21 minutes of footage on the floor (coz it sure seems a prime example of a scene that would be better fleshed out in a directors cut (ESPECIALLY if any of Ridley's other DCs are anything to go by)))

I was already catatonic by that point...

You should go and see the movie again, and take in a camera... not to bootleg the movie, but to capture some of the rage expressed in this thread, in facial expressions... I wanna see THAT as a Picture-in-picture option on the Blu-Ray release!
I have high expectations when people are getting paid millions of dollars to write scripts. I'm sick of hundreds of millions of dollars going into these things and billions of dollars getting made out of them when there are so many obvious criticisms that can be made about how thoroughly terrible they are.

I wasn't aware that you invested in Hollywood movies, how much did you invest in this?
(I see your point, don't get me wrong, but you make out like it's your dosh they're using. I think a LOT of rubbish is flowing (and now being horrendously re-made and re-made and re-made) from hollywood, but this movie just isn't that rubbish.)

...though I would have liked to see some more Giger (e.g., those weapon canisters - could they have been any more boring? Totally out of place with the rest of the space jockey stuff.)

This got a mate of mine really out of place (he read that Ridley pretty much 'shelved' H.R. Giger's work) and on one hand I agree, but the plot ISN'T to do with the xenomorphs. (I know Giger had a hand in the design of the SJ's too, but I'm just sayin)
As for the weapon canisters, I think they worked from a viewer's perspective (e.g. I KNEW when they walked into the room full of thousands of the canisters that it was essentially a 'magazine' loaded to the hilt with munitions; simply by the resemblance they had to current munitions.

Damo
Your 5th point (Lead character, Post surgery, no-one even flinches) was one GLARING omission I noticed, everyone just glanced at this 5ft woman in 'bandage loin cloth and bra combo' covered in blood and was like 'not a single f*** was given'

Dahzel:
I doubt 21 minutes of footage on the cutting room floor could save the story.

Have you seen any of the other Alien franchise movies and then gone on to see the 'Directors cut' versions?
Sure it's not going to turn the plot on it's head, but I think you'd be surprised what losing 21 minutes of footage does to a movie (much less one directed by Ridley Scott).

Khel:
I saw the same movie you did, and certainly not the one Trog went and saw, and I too thought the Alien busting out of the Space Jockey was well retarded and totally "Look, Aliens refference!"

Like how the scientists dudes somehow got lost trying to find their way out

Does no-one remember the scene where the Geologist talks about 'making money' or remember how 'driven' other characters from the movies are? (think Burke in Aliens for example)
Everyone has their own agenda.

I don't know (and right now CBF'd scrolling up to find it) but I was a little dissappoint about the token 'evil android' tho perhaps this was BEST defined as far as the Alien movies are concerned. David as mentioned early in the film seems to be 'the first of his kind' and in Weylands words 'as close to a son' as he'll have. Even David makes reference to being 'put to work' by Weyland later in the movie. There's also little/no tribute put to Isaac Asimov's 'Three Laws' (not until Aliens from memory, I seem to recall Bishop mentioning it) in this movie.
I guess it's resolved once Weyland dies and they leave the planet, but that bugged me whilst watching it.

Raven
I sincerely hope that leaked plot synopsis is related to the 'story arc' for the planned trilogy. (I didn't realise that Prometheus was going to be another trilogy, I figured Ridley would leave it at a single film. I HOPE That Ridley Scott is the director for the next two (and hope they both go ahead, tho they'd wanna get a move on, Ridley isn't getting any younger))

Slaps_Forehead:
I LOVE the dialogue from Aliens (and f***** love that film) but you can't really relate any of the rest of the Aliens franchise to the levels of bad-assery that goes with being, as James Cameron put it, 'The Viet-Nam war, in space'

As for the 'Post Credits': there was no extra scenes, but at the end of the credits a large Weyland Yutani logo scrolls onto screen and announces that the 'Previous Footage is the property of Weyland Corp' and then goes on to point out the date of "10.11.12" which I assume to mean the 11th of October this year, so keep an eye out for some news on their website I guess.
04:45pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19270 posts
Yeah, I saw that logo, and I went to the URL under it, thats where I read the timeline that talks about all the things Weyland Industries invented and the events that lead up to Prometheus. Bit of it made for an interesting read, didn't have a huge amount to do with the movie, but theres cool little bits where it talks about them inventing atmospheric processors and forming the colonial marines.

I also got the impression from the movie that David was like a one-of-a-kind type thing and was special, but when you look at the timeline on the website theres already been like seven generations of David androids built and they've sold thousands of them, so that contradicts things a bit. Still probably more inclined to believe the movie's version of events though.
05:09pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19271 posts
And why the hell don't they ever program their androids with some idea of empathy or ethics or morals in the Aliens universe? I guess by the time they got to Bishop they had it right, but f*** me they spent a long time making sociopathic androids that have no problems killing people before they got there.
05:10pm 09/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7043 posts
I enjoyed it a lot. The characterisation wasn't great, but it didn't particularly bother me. The visuals were stunning.
05:15pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6121 posts
Anyone who enjoys this is brain dead.

05:57pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4918 posts
Here's an interesting take on things:
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
06:02pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19272 posts
Hehe, some of that reads like very wanker-ish bulls***, but I warmed to it when I got to

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him

Its an interesting read but I think hes completely on the wrong track about a number of things.
07:32pm 09/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36296 posts
IVY_Mike:
This got a mate of mine really out of place (he read that Ridley pretty much 'shelved' H.R. Giger's work) and on one hand I agree, but the plot ISN'T to do with the xenomorphs. (I know Giger had a hand in the design of the SJ's too, but I'm just sayin)
I am not sure what you're just saying :P They are completely out of place with everything.
I glanced through it and can't figure out if he's defending it, or attacking it, or just making a social commentary. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to understand movies on that sort of level. I feel like if you have to make excuses and look for all that sort of stuff to fill in the gaps in the movie to actually get a sense of enjoyment though, the scriptwriter has failed completely.
07:41pm 09/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36297 posts
And why the hell don't they ever program their androids with some idea of empathy or ethics or morals in the Aliens universe? I guess by the time they got to Bishop they had it right, but f*** me they spent a long time making sociopathic androids that have no problems killing people before they got there.
So the other thing I didn't get about David is that his motivations are never really quite clear, even after you find out ole Weyland is still alive. He's just like a wild card doing random s*** all over the place.

Like... what exactly is his motivation for "poisoning" Dr Blandy McForgettable in the first place? Obviously the high level answer is "to see what the black goop does", but is that all there is to it? His "secret mission" as far as I can tell was to find a live alien and basically just make sure Weyland had the opportunity to talk to him to ask him the all important "mommy, where did I come from?" question, and with the exception of the Weyland but, it's not like that mission was exactly at cross purposes to, you know, the entire real point of the mission. Did I miss something there?
07:48pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4922 posts
Yeah, I mean interesting as in someone seeing stuff that may or may not be intended or even there. It's Ridley Scott though, so who knows. I want to see those 21 minutes now dammit.

Like... what exactly is his motivation for "poisoning" Dr Blandy McForgettable in the first place?

Yeah that scene was a little painful. His finger was stuck out the entire time, so it's obvious he's got the goo still on it and he's trying to roofie the doctor. But he has plenty of chance but waits until the last second when he's handing the glass over to the guy before doing it? I was half expecting the dude to say something like...get your finger out of my drink you synthetic f*****!
07:57pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19274 posts
He's just like a wild card doing random s*** all over the place.

Yeah, that was a bit random, like when they go inside the dome thing and hes just wandering around pressing buttons, and the chick is like "No don't open the door" so he opens the door with an exaggerated "Oh, WHOOPS, I totally didn't mean to do that, I guess I just slipped and figured out how to open the alien door after you told me not to".

It seemed at times so blatantly clear that he didn't care about any of the people there and what happened to them, I did wonder a few times why they didn't pick that up and get a bit wary of him.
08:21pm 09/06/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5951 posts
09:58pm 09/06/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1067 posts
That trailer makes me wonder why we're arguing why this is so bad, when all I can think of watching it is 'WHY THE F*** DID CAMERON RUIN AVATAR WITH SUCH SIMPLE BULLS***'.

F***** 'Unobtainium'.... KILL ME NOW.

*Sends IVY_MiKe into a Trog-rage-quits-on-Prometheus bent*
10:15pm 09/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15287 posts
F***** 'Unobtainium'.... KILL ME NOW.

huh? the word was used in the right context in the movie. it's used to refer to a very costly or rare material and has been around for decades.
10:47pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20532 posts
Like... what exactly is his motivation for "poisoning" Dr Blandy McForgettable in the first place?

Yeah that scene was a little painful. His finger was stuck out the entire time, so it's obvious he's got the goo still on it and he's trying to roofie the doctor

It seemed like David waited until the very last sec to decide to infect him. Because he just asked the dude what would he do to find the answers he was looking for and the guy said something like "anything and everything". So David just prolly figured well he's willing to do anything so I'll infect him and then he'll get his answers. Plus, it was more fun seeing his finger waiting to go into the glass instead of him having already done it offscreen.
11:32pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4923 posts
Ah, yeah I guess that does make more sense in the context of the scene.
I guess I was just hoping he'd at least do it a little more sneakily instead of passing the glass over at the exact moment he dips the finger in though, heh.
11:47pm 09/06/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9772 posts
Good movie but there are too many questions left unanswered so...
Hell I didnt even realise this was an aliens prequel till someone told me after the fact... Fml.
11:26am 10/06/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
728 posts
Bill Paxton needs to be in more movies.
01:32pm 10/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5395 posts
The black substance in this movie made no sense whatsoever. It goes from being a genetic solvent/life starter, to being a mutator (mutating those worms into face huggers), to being a zombie agent, to being a weird virus thingy that gets shaw pregnant and finially to being a f*****g biological weapon.

Makes no sense and is my biggest gripe of the movie.

I think the writers were starcraft fans. The engineers are the Xel'Naga, the Aliens are the Zerg and the humans are the Protoss. In the game the Xel'Nana create the Protoss, their first creation. After a while they are unhappy with them and go on to create a new life, the Aliens/Zerg. They turn on them and result in their fall.

Good read, tied things together in a very loose way. Still doesn't explain the black stuff. If the black stuff moldes itself to thoughts then why use it as a weapon? Why would it mutate worms into face huggers? It's as if the black goo is a deus ex machina, and the authors use it to solve script problems. We need these worms to mutate BLACK STUFF! We need to make this guy go made BLACK STUFF.

F*** Lost and all its writers.
01:34pm 10/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20535 posts
That's terrible Greazy. What ended up happening to the Xel'Naga guys? I hope they're alright.

8-(
01:50pm 10/06/12 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
1037 posts
I watched this last night in Gold Class and I loved every second of it! Was visually epic and I let my self get immersed in it, was awesome!
02:12pm 10/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19276 posts
Good movie but there are too many questions left unanswered so...

Its the beginning of a trilogy, so I wouldn't expect to get all the answers in the first movie
02:57pm 10/06/12 Permalink
v8mini
Brisbane, Queensland
25 posts
i reckon it looks sort of like the avatar setting but sort of the opposite with nothing there on some moon/planet
04:58pm 10/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15292 posts
06:28pm 10/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4733 posts
Lol NdGT is awesome
06:31pm 10/06/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3188 posts
or how the biologist guy kept trying to play with the angry alien snake that was obviously aggressive towards him

That bit was kinda dumb; what they should have done is had the guy smoking weed be the one playing with the snake. Then it would've made more sense IMO.
09:18am 11/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36302 posts
The black substance in this movie made no sense whatsoever. It goes from being a genetic solvent/life starter, to being a mutator (mutating those worms into face huggers), to being a zombie agent, to being a weird virus thingy that gets shaw pregnant and finially to being a f*****g biological weapon.
Yeh, I wasn't sure if we were assuming the black stuff later in the movie was the same as what the guy in the first scene drank. TBH I didn't even realise that guy was on Earth (he was on Earth, right?) until later in the movie when they talk about how they seeded the Earth with their DNA.

That's why I'm wondering if that black stuff WAS actually the same as the bioweapon stuff. Because if they were trying to seed the earth with their DNA, one would think that drinking a horrible bioweapon that causes epic mutation would probably not be the best way to go about that.
Its the beginning of a trilogy, so I wouldn't expect to get all the answers in the first movie
yeh, but who knew it was part of a trilogy? It's not at all obvious that it is. I certainly didn't know until someone pointed it out in this thread. It's not like Star Wars or the Matrix where you watch the first movie and are stuck with a billion unanswered questions and inconsistent sequences of events. I shouldn't have to come out of a movie and go "ok that made no sense, I guess I'll just have to wait for movie #2 to explain it". You might recall the 2nd Matrix movie was exactly like that, especially towards the end (I still have massive nerd rage at how the Matrix series ended up after the first movie).

Also, haha @ NdgT.

I rewatched Aliens on Saturday night just to make sure that my memory of it was accurate and it is a great movie, and it still is. It stands the test of time in almost all areas - there's a few visual effects that look a bit lame but the story is awesome and generally consistent, and holy f*** ALL the characters are interesting. ALL OF THEM!

Even the ones you don't see! While watching I was reminded of the site Weirzbowski Hunters - one of the first sites I ever saw on the Internet, I think, back in my early uni days. It's a site dedicated to finding frames of the marine Weirzbowski, who barely gets any screen time.

What does it say about a movie which is full of so many other awesome, unforgettable characters that people still have the attention span to focus on a guy whose name is only mentioned like twice and it's when he's getting killed or captured?!@#!@
10:26am 11/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20539 posts
Prolly because this movie isn't gonna be remembered as a classic. How many movies these days are as awesome as Aliens was? I'll watch stuff and think it was good but nothing that gets released atm gives me memories like Aliens did. It was just an awesome action/horror flick.
11:26am 11/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19289 posts
Well it might not have been obvious its a trilogy, but surely it was obvious they were setting it up for a sequel with the whole "We're going to their home planet now" and flying off into the sunset. I didn't know it was planned as a trilogy till I got home either, but it was still obvious to me there was plans for at least a sequel.

I think it still stands alone fine by itself though, it doesn't have to answer everything and wrap up neatly to still be enjoyable, sometimes a bit of ambiguity keeps it feeling mysterious and keeps you thinking about it, and promotes discussion on internet forums!

Like Rev said its not really destined to become a classic, but I certainly wouldn't lump it in with the s***e that was Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions.
12:39pm 11/06/12 Permalink
Johnston
Geelong, Victoria
1 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: indistinguishable from troll
01:02pm 11/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4929 posts
Screw you guys! I'd been successfully repressing the memories of Reloaded & Revolutions for years until this thread.
01:42pm 11/06/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
729 posts
06:39pm 11/06/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5953 posts
Yeah saw just this and I'll say that it is 'okay' not great and not exactly 'bad either just ... meh.

Good:

* Effects are tops
* The acting is ok
* Even though there is some silly stuff going on it's never boring.

Bad:

* The dialogue is pretty bland there will be no famous quotes from this movie.
* The main characters are interesting but the secondary characters are just generic random crew members.
* Could someone tell Noomi Rapace to pick an accent and stick to it.
* The Flute was stupid. They could have had an Alien voice command that David could have mimicked instead.
* The Captain and his mates seemed overly keen to sacrafice themselves. Why not program the ship ram the Alien spaceship and jump in the escape pod?
* I thought the whole bit with Shaw operating on herself was just over the top. Especially how she spent the rest of the movie running and jumping around after she's just had an squid the size of a football cut out of her.
* The bit with Weyland at the end was highly derivative of 2001. It's best to stick to the one franchise.
* The final scene was incredibly lame. The alien looked like a cartoon. That scene took a big s*** on the franchise.

Overall it was better than most of crap shovelled up as sci-fi recently but there is no escaping the fact that the dialogue was bland, the characterisation was poor and the general plot was not up to the standard many would expect from a High Grade Production helmed by Ridley Scott. He didn't do a 'Lucas' but the movie could have been classic with a bit more focus on the simple stuff.

6 out of 10

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 18:49:48 11/Jun/12
06:46pm 11/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4024 posts
Its good, not great. 3/5

I'm happy with movies that dont explain everything, but Prometheus goes too far the other way. There are too many characters with unexplained or non-sensical motivations.

Anyone who watches the film will see this, so I agree that it seems bizarre that such an expensive movie would be put out in this state.
02:48pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4933 posts
The Captain and his mates seemed overly keen to sacrafice themselves.

Yeah, this bit that stuck out badly for me too. I don't think there was an absolutely clear convincing indication that the aliens were planning to wipe out Earth or whether it was just a wild assumption from the protagonist, but whatever, I'll go with it.

If it was just the captain dude that decided 'f*** it, there no autopilot but Shaw's convinced me the Earth is in danger and I'm all that stands between it and them so lets ram this sucker' I'd probably be ok with it.
When it's three dudes that seem to be in complete agreement that they all need to die in order to stop the ship taking off is where it starts to go silly. They should have folded those multiple character's lines and actions into one character - why did those other two guys even need to exist?
03:59pm 12/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36311 posts
When it's three dudes that seem to be in complete agreement that they all need to die in order to stop the ship taking off is where it starts to go silly. They should have folded those multiple character's lines and actions into one character - why did those other two guys even need to exist?
A ship can't fly itself dude. It needs three people. Except for the two years when it was just David.
05:19pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4025 posts
WRONG. It was David, the basketball and the bicycle piloting the ship.
05:30pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7028 posts
Going to see this tonight. Wish me luck!

Shame im not taking the FWB - at least if it were to get really bad/boring I'd get something out of it.
05:50pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7029 posts
Sigh.

So basically, it's Alien. Or Event Horizon. Take your pick. Either one, if you've seen those two movies, you've basically seen Prometheus.
09:38pm 12/06/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5954 posts
09:49pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19305 posts
So basically, it's Alien. Or Event Horizon. Take your pick. Either one, if you've seen those two movies, you've basically seen Prometheus.

Once again I find myself wondering if people saw the same movie I did, because the one I saw was nothing like Event Horizon.
09:57pm 12/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36315 posts
Haha, BillyH found this: http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/ - its a sort of pseudo-review in the form of a play-by-play of the movie. It's f*****g hilarious.
So they land the SBS on the planet. Moon. Whatever. After hitting the cloud layer the captain asks what the atmosphere is like. Fortunately for everyone on board, the reply isn’t “astoundingly f*****g corrosive.” They could have performed a spectrographic analysis from a safe distance, but whatever. I’m surprised he asked at all. He was probably in a hurry to see if it was snowing, what with it being Christmas and everything.
10:25pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19306 posts
Has the person who wrote that ever actually watched any sci-fi ever? Complaining about faster than light travel in sci-fi is like complaining that theres too many explosions in an action movie.
11:01pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7030 posts
Once again I find myself wondering if people saw the same movie I did, because the one I saw was nothing like Event Horizon.

Spoiler:
It was a movie where you have a crew on a spaceship (with a black captain, I might add), and one by one they get killed off after finding a ship/planet that appears to have no life forms aboard. In the end the ship blows up, and to top it all off, the movie was more or less s***.

That pretty much summarises Event Horizon, doesn't it?
To fill in the gaps, see the plotline of Alien.
11:43pm 12/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20541 posts
I find it hilarious how people are whinging about plot holes. If you can't understand what's going on in the film then there's something wrong. You're carrying on like there's huge chunks of the movie missing and it's hard to put the pieces together. S***, if I can follow what's happening then anyone should be able to.
12:06am 13/06/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3191 posts
Has the person who wrote that ever actually watched any sci-fi ever? Complaining about faster than light travel in sci-fi is like complaining that theres too many explosions in an action movie.

Kinda the same as those picking at the most minor details about the film. I'm unsure if they've ever seen sci-fi or even comprehend it.
06:27am 13/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7031 posts
I didn't see any plot holes or anything like that, and although I found it very difficult to track what happened to each of the supposedly 17 crew members, I just frankly found it to be exactly the same as ever "I'm on a [space]boat" movie.
07:03am 13/06/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2492 posts
I tried to stay away from this thread before seeing it, by god I wish I didn't. Movie sucked, hard!
08:09am 13/06/12 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
820 posts
I saw this in gold class last night and loved it. Like the guy who reviews movies on jjj said... Its the kind of movie that you walk away from asking so many questions that make it a great movie. That's exactly what is going on in this thread regardless if you love it or hate it.
08:41am 13/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36316 posts
Kinda the same as those picking at the most minor details about the film. I'm unsure if they've ever seen sci-fi or even comprehend it.
You're sorta missing the point of sci-fi. It's SCIENCE fiction. The universe created in a sci-fi world needs to have some measure of internal consistency - otherwise it is fantasy.

There is no problem having FTL travel in a movie, but if it's not dealt with in a movie in a way that makes sense then it is a dumb script error.

I fully admit to being completely obsessive about this sort of thing because I read a lot and 99.9% of what I read is science fiction.

(There is a whole class of these sorts of errors - commonly called continuity errors. Wikipedia says on "plot errors":
A plot error, or a plot hole as it's commonly known, reflects a failure in the consistency of the created fictional world.
That is what you are calling "picking at minor details of the film". )

I'm happy some people can forgive and ignore these mistakes in the production - mistakes which almost everyone is conceding took place. But there are those of us that hold production to higher standards, to the point where it makes a film much harder (or in this case, impossible) to enjoy.

Anyway, it's not even the outright errors that are really irritating. They're just a part of it.
I saw this in gold class last night and loved it. Like the guy who reviews movies on jjj said... Its the kind of movie that you walk away from asking so many questions that make it a great movie. That's exactly what is going on in this thread regardless if you love it or hate it.
I never got this attitude. I'm watching a movie for a story. If I have to go away and make up the rest of the story in my head, I think the story teller failed. (I realise you are possibly saying that this is just an awesome setup for a sequel, but again I refer to Star Wars which didn't have this problem - the feeling at the end was "I can't wait to see what happens next!" not "what the f*** just happened? I hope they have another movie to explain everything." See: Matrix Part 2)
09:20am 13/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5401 posts

Lost fan?
09:57am 13/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4027 posts
If you can't understand what's going on in the film then there's something wrong
I understand what's happening, I just have very little idea why
10:10am 13/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36317 posts
I understand what's happening, I just have very little idea why
because I choose to believe, that's why
10:26am 13/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7037 posts
ISWYDT.
11:22am 13/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4937 posts
Its the kind of movie that you walk away from asking so many questions that make it a great movie.

Nah, they're not good questions though like "Was Deckard a replicant the whole time or not?" or "Was Ash really an evil android or was he just malfunctioning?", they're bad questions like "Why the hell would anyone with half a brain decide to play with an aggressive alien snake?" or "How the hell is she running around like a mad woman 10 minutes after having huge abdominal surgery?"
12:00pm 13/06/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12823 posts
I found myself going, 'WTF ASIF' wayyyy to often.

Scientists taking their helmet off in an alien environment. Nobody with even an ounce self preservation and a basic understanding of biology would do that. Regardless of a wrist computer saying it is OK based on the knowledge of Earth pathogens..

How could a bunch of people on a ship possibly never have met each other prior to going into cyrostasis?

Those 2 co-pilots are so eager to sacrifice themselves based on the ramblings of a madwomen, who is currently under the influence of some pretty hardcore pain killers. I'm pretty sure most people would at least be skeptical and pretty anxious of the situation, not laughing merrily all the way to their death.

The big blue alien, having identical human DNA (wtf in itself), somehow manages to breath the atmosphere that would kill a human. As he appears in the life pod near the end, ok sure maybe he held his breath.

Did not ONE person writing/directing the movie think that 2mins is an awfully short time to be running the entire distance from the crashed alien ship to the life pod, uphill, disregarding a pretty traumatizing bout of abdominal surgery?

How does a small boulder resists the crushing weight of a intergalactic space ship?

Why the f*** would 2 presumably highly intelligent people, 1 with an extremely high sense of self-preservation, run ALONG the length of the rolling ship when clearly running sideways was a superior option that even a guinea pig would take?

No one gives a s*** that a women covered in blood with staples across her stomach came stumbling into a room. Meanwhile zombies and all sorts of s*** are killing people. Again, basic self-preservation would make you ask why she was covered in blood, because you know it could be after you next. The android is the only entity that makes sense not to ask.

The least human crew member the show was also the by far the most believable character.

Why did these people risk their life rushing back to the ship during the storm, very closely escaping death, do so when the storm was going to pass in a few hours? Surely would be (as scientists no less) much more inclined to stay in the ruins study the alien stuff. Or if you MUST leave the ruins, everyone get in the APC and park it next to the wall.. It has been standing for 2000 years at least, so it would be safe to assume the storm wouldn't be knocking down the wall.

Why didn't they send the mapping units in first? Again no self preservation what-so-ever.

I can only assume the male main scientist archeologist guy was very, very bipolar. As he went from exuberant, extreme risk taking to alcoholic depressed man in the space of hours. Just the sort of person you want in small enclosed spaces many billions of light years in deep space.

Why did Wayland even bother taking the 2 archeologists anyway. The Android had, by far, greater knowledge of the situation then these 2. In fact, those 2 archeologists bring nothing to the expedition that the android couldn't cover. 1 of them being a massive risk taking manic depressive.

Why was Wayland's daughter even on board? Just so he could take a dump on her?

The list could go on for a very long time.

The characters were incredibly unbelievable and not very memorable. I only remember 2 names, Wayland and David. The story made you make far too many assumptions to make even the most shambling of story lines work.

It is a pitty, the story could have been so much better if they didn't bow down to the Hollywood business. I'm sure many of the criticisms of the movie where not from the script writers or the directors, but born from making a movie that has a big opening day and call sell a computer game and other random things.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 12:06:08 13/Jun/12
12:04pm 13/06/12 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
961 posts
Tollaz0r! I can answer all those questions for you

It's a movie
02:52pm 13/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20543 posts
Nah, they're not good questions though like "Was Deckard a replicant the whole time or not?"

Wouldn't that be a bad question though if you have to ask is he or isn't he? Just like the stuff you're getting upset about with Prometheus.
02:58pm 13/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4940 posts
06:09pm 13/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36320 posts
The PA comic goes better with their comment in today's post:
If I tell you that it is bad, which is something I genuinely believe, it will inoculate you against it; no matter how bad it might be, it won’t be as bad as I said it was, and your moviegoing experience will be improved. I’m only too happy to provide this service, as someone should be able to enjoy this movie, even if it’s only as a result of these quantum-cinematic abstractions. Gabriel and I tried to figure it out most of the flight home, only to realize that even if it we did figure it out, what would we have then? Sometimes you get to The Emerald City, like, all the way there, but it is only a Sizzler someone has painted green.
Seriously if you're not reading the PA commentary, you're missing out.
06:35pm 13/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7040 posts
Geez trog, linky, don't make us work for it!
08:00pm 13/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36324 posts
oops sorry, I tried to link to the exact article but i can't figure out the direct link to "today's", so it's just http://www.penny-arcade.com/ for the one associated with the comic, and http://penny-arcade.com/2012/06/11 for the one that I got that quote from. It sounds like the PA guy feels exactly how I do:
People get way crazier about movies than they do about videogames, any day of the week; it usually isn’t wise to insert coin into these kinds of conversations. But, good God! This movie makes me want to fight someone, and I know exactly who.
Even Avatar, which drove me to frothy-mouthed paroxysms, didn't piss me off as much as this movie. I can't figure out if I'm more pissed at the movie, or more pissed that there are people out there that actually enjoyed it. I don't want people to do things and not enjoy them, but I can't help but feel depressed that the bar has been set so, so low for movies that something this clearly flawed can actually make people come away feeling anything other than like they just dropped their money into a vat of Alien acid
07:51am 14/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19316 posts
People can enjoy it though while still acknowledging its flaws. I've enjoyed what could generally be considered "bad" movies in the past, doesn't mean I don't acknowledge how flawed they were, but often theres some aspect of the movie that balances the flaws out enough that I can still enjoy it.

Most of the flaws pointed out in this thread are valid (if at times trivial), but I guess the positives were enough to distract me from the flaws while watching it, to the point where I still enjoyed the movie. Doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and buy it on DVD and frame it, in fact, its not a movie I think I'd even want to watch twice, but I still enjoyed it and don't regret watching it.
10:29am 14/06/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7605 posts
I loved this movie. And I loved Alien. I think if you are going into this movie with certain mindset it'll really upset you. I on the other hand on the day was fairly relaxed and ready to watch something entertaining etc so maybe that's why I enjoyed it. I didn't going thinking it's going to be another Alien, or anything really that related to Alien franchise and came away thoroughly enjoyed it.

Clearly there are plenty of flaws if you logically pulling at it - not many movies that can stand up to the scrutiny of the reality of actual scientific experiment and space exploration (maybe 2001 Space Odyssey is the only one that may live up to this). I agreed with most of the flaws that people picked out but IMO the movie was very good.
10:46am 14/06/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36325 posts
but I guess the positives were enough to distract me from the flaws while watching it,
what were they? the ones that people have listed that make sense to me are :

- David / Fassbender's awesome performance (ignoring the completely random behaviour of his character)
- impressive visuals (I'll ignore the fact that this is basically expected now in any professionally produced movie)

what else is there?

edit: not saying that is an exhaustive list of the good stuff people have said, that's just my list. I honestly can't think of anything else, except possibly charlize in a skin suit
12:46pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4034 posts
what else is there?
- Interesting topic matter in regards to the whole creation storyline and its parallels with humans creating robots; but as an avid sci-fi reader it probably seems less interesting to you than your average Joe.

- Mystery, albeit poorly implemented in a Lost-style manner that goes nowhere.

Its enjoyable enough as a movie. I will go back and watch Alien every few years. Will I ever watch this again? Maybe once on Blu-Ray to see the director's cut, but its clearly a looong way from being a classic which I guess is ultimately what many of us hoped for.
01:08pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
2 posts
- Interesting topic matter in regards to the whole creation storyline and its parallels with humans creating robots; but as an avid sci-fi reader it probably seems less interesting to you than your average Joe.

This.

This movie has more than meets the eye. Sure there are some annoying bits but overall as a sci-fi movie it's breaking new ground and opened up a whole plethora of questions and ideas.

The directors cut, like all Ridley Scott movies will add an entire new dimension to the movie and I think people will appreciate it much more. I also have every faith in Scott to turn this story into the epic masterpiece with the next two movies.

It's a great movie and if you're going to nitpick over the little things then maybe you should just stop watching movies.
01:36pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7046 posts
hah, I hadn't even considered until now, but how come the creationists aren't all up in arms over this movie?
But yes, I liked the David parallels, and what Weyland says in the TED astroturf - "We are the gods now".
I've always said this and have done so since I was young - that really, we as humans are just as capable of creating life through scientific processes, and so therefore aren't we too, by definition, gods?

I still think that original synopsis for the movie would make an awesome movie, and I hope it's actually being considered by a studio.
02:08pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
3 posts
I still think that original synopsis for the movie would make an awesome movie

Funnily enough I believe that synopsis is actually covering the entire trilogy as opposed to Prometheus. A lot of it makes sense if you spread it out over three movies.

One thing I may add to the comments about creation.

What did David say to the engineer to make him rip his head off?

I personally think he told the Engineer he was a synthetic lifeform created by Weyland. I would be pissed if I was the Engineer and discovered that my own creation (humans) had created a lifeform that is more intelligent than themselves and possibly even the Engineer race!

It was a nice touch to kill Weyland (the creator) with his own head. (the creation)

Don't even get started on that mural in the chamber though. Lot of unanswered questions there.
02:13pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
131 posts
Sure there are some annoying bits but overall as a sci-fi movie it's breaking new ground and opened up a whole plethora of questions and ideas.

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking new ground, the questions and ideas brought up in Prometheus are hardly original. While I did enjoy the movie I think it's pretty laughable to say that it's breaking new ground.
02:17pm 14/06/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3566 posts
what else is there?

As crappy as the makeup looked on Guy Pearce, I thought it was cool having him in the movie aged in real time from the TED talks he did (set in 2023).

Looks like the version released at the cinemas is effectly Ridley Scott's "Director's Cut" though there is over 20mins of deleted scene's he's adding to the DVD/Bluray release, he does mention in this interview below about a possible extended edition.

02:21pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7048 posts
And as for David, best quote from the movie: "Doesn't everyone want their parents dead?"
02:24pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
4 posts
I think it's pretty laughable to say that it's breaking new ground.

I guess. Although, I can't really remember the last "adult" science fiction movie that was released with a massive budget and compelling storyline that has a lot of depth. Nothing in the last 15years that's for sure except maybe the Matrix but that's a different kettle of fish imo.
02:25pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7049 posts
Breaking new ground?

Seriously though, what was the most recent "new"(ish) idea for a movie that hasn't, ultimately, been rehashed over and over before (and I don't care about obscure B-grade, foreign versions of the same thing - if noone's actually seen it, noone cares): Limitless, Inception... The Matrix...?
There really isn't a great deal else.
02:50pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19321 posts
I guess. Although, I can't really remember the last "adult" science fiction movie that was released with a massive budget and compelling storyline that has a lot of depth.

Inception?

Theres been plenty of sci-fi I've enjoyed over the past few years, Prometheus is hardly breaking any new ground.
02:58pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7607 posts
Yeah I wouldn't go so far as to claimed Prometheus breaks any new ground. The concept that earth was seeded by alien or other being has been around since the 50's. As for the playing god bit well that's been around forever.

It's a good sci-fi romp as far as I'm concern, trying to make it any more than that is IMO, what makes it s*** for some people. It's not exactly in the same league as say Inception in terms of "woah" and makes you think and mind f*****y but it's still cool. Certainly better than MIB3 LOLz.
03:02pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
5 posts
Lets not get too hung up on this "breaking new ground" comment - it's a figure of speech and is entirely valid as far as "movies" go - not talking about sci novels you've read or whatever. I'm talking about the actuall concept and execution brought to the big screen with a huge budget. They did fail on the little things though.

Inception and Limitless and the Matrix broke new ground. None of them involved space though. In my opinion Prometheus broke new ground in the movie 'space' department.

And Khel, just coz you've enjoyed some movies over the past few years doesn't mean they are worthy of anything or that Prometheus wasn't breaking new ground. Nice leap of logic there.

Personally I think someone should make a thread outlining all details of the movie and generate discussion about what is actually happening. Not just a derr bioweapons and alien experiements happening or whatever and a bunch of spoiler tags. I mean really fleshing out what the f*** is going on.

Theres a lot of information in the movie that needs to be deciphered. Either that or just wait for the 2nd one.
03:05pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19322 posts
And Khel, just coz you've enjoyed some movies over the past few years doesn't mean they are worthy of anything or that Prometheus wasn't breaking new ground. Nice leap of logic there.

You were saying its one of the only compelling sci-fi movies to come out in the past 15 years, I was saying theres plenty of compelling sci-fi movies that I've enjoyed even in the past couple of years, so your statement is clearly bulls***.

I agree with Opec, don't make it more than it is. It was an enjoyable movie with an interesting premise and fantastic visuals, its not a ground-breaking masterpiece of cinema, its just (at most) an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Theres really nothing to flesh out, any questions that arise from the film are either the result of poor script-writing or obvious hooks for a sequel.

Like Daz was saying, its not like Bladerunner where you can have an interesting discussion about whether Deckard was a replicant or not, or Inception where you can think about whether he was in a dream the whole time or not. I didn't come out of the movie with my mind buzzing with the possibilities and questions like I did with either of those movies, I just came out thinking "Well, guess theres going to be a sequel then".
03:45pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12826 posts
Theres a lot of information in the movie that needs to be deciphered. Either that or just wait for the 2nd one.

However the movie is full of fails that you can't do any deciphering.
03:57pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20549 posts
What did David say to the engineer to make him rip his head off?

I can't remember what he said or if he said anything at all that was worth noting. It looked like he was in awe of the engi but the engi saw him as some abomination and killed him. Anyone remember it differently?
04:09pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
6 posts
I never said it was a masterpiece, however I think the trilogy as a whole may almost get there. I guess you just didnt care much about what was happening. in relation to the other Alien movies. There is plenty of interesting discussion we can have about this movie.

- The planet at the start, is that Earth? If not - is it implying the Engineers seeded life on earth?

- Why are there cave paintings pointing to their military base planet.

- What does the mural in the goo chamber mean?

- Is the Deacon (alien at the end of the film) a prototype xenomorph or is it a different species?

- Why were the Engineers coming to Earth 2000 years ago? Does that have something to do with Jesus christ?

- How was the Deacon created via sexual intercourse between humans and then the engineer? was this part of their plan?

- Why was the Engineer escaping at the end heading for earth?

And plenty more unanswered questions which I'm sure will probably be explained in the next two movies, but it's a long wait.
04:12pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
7 posts
I can't remember what he said or if he said anything at all that was worth noting.

If I recall he spoke to the Engineer in their language which really pissed him off to the point of ripping his head off.
04:15pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4948 posts
Besides, as an android set within the Alien canon it's obligatory that he's has his head ripped off or his guts ripped out before the end of the film. Either the engineer had to do it, or someone else did.
04:17pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20550 posts
Ah, that's right. It's been a while since I've seen the film. Forgot he did that. lol
04:19pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
8 posts
Besides, as an android set within the Alien canon it's obligatory that he's has his head ripped off or his guys ripped out before the end of the film. Either the engineer had to do it, or someone else did.

heh, of course. :)

Heres a pic of the mural - I think a lot of answers lie in this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/307p62o.jpg

artist rendition of deacon:

http://i50.tinypic.com/w7kf1d.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2910/georgeft.jpg

Looks like there already humans in the mural (or could be engineers) The alien in the middle looks like the deacon - but it would seem it needs human DNA.

Also it has facehuggers like the ones from LV426 - so wtf is with that? There aren't any facehuggers that look like that on LV224. Obviously they came before. so that means the xenomorph was already created prior to the deacon?
04:21pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19324 posts
Well, for a start, thats not the mural people are talking about when they say "the mural". The mural was the paintings on the roof that started decaying when they let oxygen in, that thing there was a sculpted wall at the back of the chamber. Personally I don't see any great questions or answers there, just some cool visual hooks that are all part of the movie's style and a Xenomorph looking thing to get people excited with a link to the Aliens movies.

Theres just not enough information in the movie to start a discussion, any discussion about answers to questions would just be pure fantasy invented by fans, for that matter, most of the questions I've seen posed seem to be pure fantasy. The movie just wasn't that deep.

- The planet at the start, is that Earth? If not - is it implying the Engineers seeded life on earth?

Ridley Scott himself said in an interview that it doesn't matter if that planet is Earth or where it is or what it is, its just meant to be an introduction to the engineer dudes.

- Why are there cave paintings pointing to their military base planet.

Because the script writers didn't think it through properly.

- What does the mural in the goo chamber mean?

It means the movie has cool visuals.

- Is the Deacon (alien at the end of the film) a prototype xenomorph or is it a different species?

Its blatant pandering to the Aliens fans who wanted the movie to tie in and probably wont ever show up again since they've left that planet now.

- Why were the Engineers coming to Earth 2000 years ago? Does that have something to do with Jesus christ?

To kill everyone. Why? Obvious hook for a sequel since those are the exact questions the main character yells at the engineer and then jets off at the end to find answers to.

- How was the Deacon created via sexual intercourse between humans and then the engineer? was this part of their plan?

More problems with the script.

- Why was the Engineer escaping at the end heading for earth?

To finish killing everyone, as to why, see previous answer about a sequel.
05:12pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
9 posts
A lot of ignorant explanations there. We're talking about Ridley Scott and Geiger's alien. I know the writers from lost worked on this movie and it's obvious why that was a mistake but the entire Alien world and design down to it's biology was created ages ago. To blow off stuff with "It means the movie has cool visuals." is pretty silly considering what Ridley was trying to do with this movie.

He even said in an interview "Everything done in the film was done with purpose" (all things aside) - he is probably catering more to the fan of the alien universe than your average joe. It's a universe that bases itself in very plausable science - Aliens: DNA War by Diane Carey had some decent stuff in it iirc, who apparently also spoke to Geiger a bit.

But anyways, the next one should up the ante hopefully.
05:59pm 14/06/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5955 posts
Breaking new ground?

Seriously though, what was the most recent "new"(ish) idea for a movie that hasn't, ultimately, been rehashed over and over before (and I don't care about obscure B-grade, foreign versions of the same thing - if noone's actually seen it, noone cares): Limitless, Inception... The Matrix...?
There really isn't a great deal else.

District 9?
08:15pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Wrecktim
Perth, Western Australia
796 posts
watch it today enjoyed it. watched alien and aliens on the weekend love them.

didnt answer alot but still was a pretty good movie
09:37pm 14/06/12 Permalink
loutl
Brisbane, Queensland
255 posts
Movie was s***. Saw it in the cinema (first time I've been to the cinema in about 5 years) and I'm astounded anyone can take any enjoyment at all from such mindless drivel.
10:24pm 14/06/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12827 posts

He even said in an interview "Everything done in the film was done with purpose"

That may be true, unfortunatly that 'purpose' was to get as much box office $'s as possible.

Can you give me a better purpose then that for the scene with the giant rolling crashing spaceship and 2 highly intelligent characters running along the length of it? Yer 'everything done with purpose' I'm sure.

Besides, even if somehow it all does magically make sense due to the next movie he still failed pretty bad with this movie from most peoples accounts.
11:02pm 14/06/12 Permalink
carter
10 posts
Of course the purpose is to make as much money as they can - that's what hollywood is about?

I did say all things aside meaning all the silly parts such as the rolling spaceship. Everything about the story was done on purpose is what I'm trying to say, meaning everything has meaning and purpose in the alien universe.

Anyway, the rolling space ship thing can be explained anyway if you really wanted to get nerdy about it. One could say saw the ship hit the ground and started running. If you're in a suit and it's really cumbersome to run in and you know a spaceship just crashed behind you, I'd just start running, anywhere! It's not until she turns around to see where the ship is falling that she trips over. The ship could fall either way and if you're under the stress of escaping a falling billion tonne spaceship, you probably be freaking out enough not to want to stop and hang around to judge which way its gonna fall.

Whatever though. That bit doesn't really bother me although I'm sure if they sat around for an extra 10 mins they could of made a much better suspenseful moment than that.
08:52am 15/06/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12828 posts
The problem I'm trying to say is because the move had So Many 'WTF? That is stupid!' moments any part that has a 'purpose' you can't really debate because you don't know if it is yet another WTF that is stupid moment or not. Therefor movie = fail.

09:09am 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
11 posts
Yeah I can understand that. I agree there are some parts that are just nonsense. The movie is all we have though at this stage - I'm really hoping the Directors cut enhances the film overall and Scott also takes on board all the criticism received and makes the next one in the higher standard that everyone expects from him.
09:18am 15/06/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7608 posts
That's a pretty awesome mural.
09:28am 15/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19329 posts
I just don't get why there has to be some deep meaning to the movie, there was no deep meaning to the first Alien movie Ridley Scott made so its not like theres some precedent we're following here. When they made it the dude in the pilot's chair was just a cool visual, they hadn't thought about who or what it was. Any meaning which may be attached to it now was shoehorned in retroactively, just like what I will imagine will happen with Prometheus and its sequels.
10:23am 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
12 posts
Wow, you really are a spastic Khel.

The space jockey in Alien was created by Gieger which had it's own history and biology prior to the making of the film. It's not something that was 'hey that will look cool, lets make it look like that'. It was scupltured and painting by Gieger, which even caused budget issues but they didn't compromise the design as it was what the universe was about.

Here are some books you should check out -

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/x0/x1287.jpg

http://www.littlegiger.com/books/film.jpg

http://www.propmasters.net/images/aliengigerbook1.jpg

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/stories/pics/alien_giger/hr_giger_alienhieroglyphics.jpg

And for good measure

http://www.federaljack.com/ebooks/Free Energy Ebooks/H.R. Giger Artbook/Erotomechanics/hr_giger_erotomechanics_VIII.jpg

Maybe Spiderman will be more to your liking.
10:49am 15/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19330 posts
I'm just going by what I've heard from Ridley Scott in interviews, where he said nobody had thought about what the thing in that chair was, nobody had thought about who he was and it had no story, which is why he thought it would be an interesting hook for Prometheus. But hey, don't let the director of the film spoil this little fantasy world you've built for yourself, it sounds fun!
12:07pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
13 posts
It's not a fantasy world I've built, it was built by Giger.. Ridley wanted to make a story about an alien - which is what he did. Giger created the creatures from the ground up. Alien wasn't about the space jockey so of course they didn't really incorporate it's background story into the movie and how it fit in. It was meant to be a horror film that just happened to be science fiction. I'm glad they didn't go into it to much in the movie coz it left a strong sense of the unknown. It did raise a lot of questions though which are explained a bit in Gigers books. Don't sue me coz you're ignorant.
12:19pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4039 posts
Sounds like A Grade Lost-style "we've got it all planned out" BS to me
12:23pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
14 posts
I'll break it down for ya all.

Giger created the Alien universe back in the 60 and 70s. A lot of it's biology was documented.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac280/draekus/alienhrgigeralienhierog.jpg

There is a facehugger and engineer - from 1977. This s*** isn't being made up as they are going on along, it's his entire creation.

Fast foward to 2012 and Ridley got these writers from lost to pen some of the script - which as you can say has a lot of nonsensical bits in it.

That doesn't detract from the overall theme of what is happening.

Basically if Ridley got Giger to pen the script, what we would have is the real deal. However, I don't think Hollywood would let anything like that near the big screen. Hence the waterdown Lost script writers appealing to the masses and doing it badly.
12:30pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7609 posts
I agree with Khel, yeah from what I read of the Alien trivia the Space Jockey scene and the size of the prop really was put there by creative artist so the move doesn't look like a B-Grade sci-fi. It's a wow moment kind of deal. Don't really think there was a real depth to the story with regards to Alien movie. HR Gieger might have some story on that given that they used his model but he didn't write Alien story, they just used this work in the movie. I think this is where the fans get the two things confused.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/trivia

20th Century Fox Studios almost did not allow the "space jockey", or the giant alien pilot, to be in the film. This was because, at the time, props for movies weren't so large and it would only be used for one scene. However, conceptual artist 'Ron Cobb (I)' convinced them to leave the scene in the movie, as it would be the film's "Cecil. B. DeMille shot", showing the audience that this wasn't some low-budget B-movie.

Read the rest of the Alien's Trvia on IMDB it really blows a lot of these "myths" around the Alien universe and the community of hard cord fans which really just sprung up *after* the movie was created and released.

In summary the original movie was meant to be nothing more than a good ol slasher flick/horror flick in Space and not a deep and meaningful narrative that a lot of fans are talking about. Unlike say Inception or Blade Runner which really wer written to be a bit more true to sci-fi genre i.e. thought provoking that makes you discuss about a topic it presents in the movie.

I like this summary best of Alien:

Many producers have professional "readers" that read and summarize scripts for them. The reader in this case summarized it as "It's like Jaws, but in space."

IMO, I really feel that pretty much accurately described the whole Alien franchise _and_ Prometheus. Perhaps that's why I was able to enjoyed Prometheus whilst others can't? I certainly didn't walk away from these movies thinking wow that makes me think a whole lot about xyz. Unlike say Inception or Blade Runner.
12:31pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19332 posts
It was designed by Giger, visually, and thats where his involvement starts and ends. The design for the Alien was based on one of his paintings, Necronomicon IV, but its not like he wrote the story for everything that became part of the Alien story. He had absolutely nothing to do with writing the script and the story behind Alien, just the visual designs of the Xenomorph, the ship and the "Space Jockey". And he had absolutely nothing at all to do with Prometheus. In fact, the script for Alien was already done by the time they brought Giger on board. They were trying to decide what the Alien looked like, and one of the script writers had seen Giger's Necronomicon IV painting and was like "It should look like that!"

So yes, anything beyond that is fantasy, or trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Giger may have written all this fiction about the creatures he designed, but its not part of the official canon. I think you're getting events mixed up, sure, Giger may have written all this fiction about his creations, but its not his fiction that they wanted for the Alien movie, they just saw his art and said "We want our aliens to look like that", doesn't mean any of the supplementary materials he may have developed along with the paintings they saw has any relation to the film.

Imagine one big circle that represents Giger's fiction and the world he created, and another big circle which represents the Alien franchise, and a small area in the middle where they intersect and inside that little sliver is the visual design of the Xenomorph, the Space Jockey, and the ship. Thats all thats shared.
12:35pm 15/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15327 posts
i think i'll be waiting for the bluray
12:39pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
15 posts
You guys probably were writing all of that stuff out before my last post, so I'm just gonna leave it at that
12:51pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19333 posts
Giger created the Alien universe back in the 60 and 70s.

No he didn't, he created his own fictional universe. Which has nothing to do with the Alien universe besides the design of the Xenomorph. Because he had no hand at all in creating the script or the story for Alien. This is the crux of the matter, Giger could have books and books and reams and reams of material hes written, but that has no bearing on the Alien franchise because the Alien franchise is not based on his writings, just his visuals.
12:57pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
16 posts
You're missing the point. Swap my comment from 'alien' universe and 'xenomorph' if that explains it better.

He created the biology of the xenomorph, engineers, eggs, face huggers, jockey ship, the whole deal which is more important than the story about ripley fighting an 'alien'. Just coz they wanted a script about an 'alien' and used Giger to create the visuals doesn't mean anything other than they found the right artist impression that would make the audience take note. To me, it's more about the biomechanics of his universe that really turned alien into what it is and what it does is open up a lot of avenues.

Wait till the second film when they go to the engineers planet - you'll see what I'm talking about. It's going to be a dark nasty place with penises and vaginas and general weird s*** from Gigers 'universe'. It's much more intriguing than say than your usual star wars / star trek s***e.
01:04pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19335 posts
While I still don't necessarily agree with you, I sincerely do hope the engineer's planet is all penises and vaginas, that would be interesting for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I think Giger's work is pretty awesome, and very visually distinctive, I just don't think hes very involved in the mythology of the franchise, so I don't hold a lot of hope of seeing many of his ideas play out. I mean, apart from the stuff he had already designed for the original movie, Prometheus was pretty lacking in Giger-esque stuff (I think that was even one of trog's original criticisms), and from what I've read about the making of the movie he didn't seem to be involved at all.

I don't think hes actually been involved in the franchise since Aliens 3, and that ended badly because they essentially booted him out of it and didn't give him credit or pay him.
01:15pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
17 posts
The lack of Giger stuff really did piss me off aswell. Infact what I believe is going to happen in the 2nd film is more a long the lines of what I thought would happen in Prometheus. I think Prometheus just sets a basic platform without too much hoo-har going on and still leave people talking about it. Sorta like slipping into it very slowly and then ramp up everything in the next two.

In regards to Gigers involvement in Prometheus - this is from Ridley:

I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he's doing a little bit of work for me. He's been doing some murals, big murals, which we'll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we're gonna go.

Obviously he has nothing to do with the script at this stage but he lets his art do the talking, thats for sure.

Hopefully he would be a lot more involved in the next couple and that's when this story arc will really start to shine.

Prometheus is far from the classic I was hoping for but it's definitely keeping the dream alive.
01:26pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4950 posts
While I still don't necessarily agree with you, I sincerely do hope the engineer's planet is all penises and vaginas, that would be interesting for sure.

It'll certainly give the Prometheus porn parody a lot to work with.
01:27pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12832 posts
Carter, a couple of things.

If you want to look it at the way you are saying then the whole Alien/xenomorph thing is chiefly about Oral Rape, almost always phallic in nature and directed towards men. Xenomorphs are really just oral rape monsters.

Also:

de·tract/diˈtrakt/
Verb:

Reduce or take away the worth or value of.
Deny or take away (a quality or achievement) so as to make its subject seem less impressive.

What you are saying the s***** script writing certainly did detract from the story line you are making up.

02:09pm 15/06/12 Permalink
carter
18 posts
Well they're certainly seem randy that's for sure. Not sure how it works as the face huggers don't have eyes but always seem to know exactly where the mouth is! I'm thinking a long the lines of being a mosquito - can't see where it's going but always finds a something to suck the blood out of due to being able to sense variances in carbon dioxide and follow the trail.

The s***** script:

- running away from the ship in a straight line
- mapping guy gets lost and screams in terror at a dead body but tries to pick up the cobra alien
- useless s*** like the 2 mins of oxygen
- i could go on and on.

Thats s***** script writing but by the same token, I can overlook all of that stuff simply to try and understand the engineers what their motives are.

I'm more interested in the nuts and bolts of what the f*** these engineers do and create.

It's almost like Tolkien creating Middle Earth, even down to the language they use and names of places, etc. Giger has done the same thing with his own creation. It just hasn't been captured entirely in the movies because he hasn't penned any of the scripts, just gave them ideas to work with. It's a fascinating world that requires more than lost script writers to do it justice. Ridley Scott better be on top of his game for the next one or I'll be devastated.
02:32pm 15/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1572 posts
It's alright guys, I've totes watched this now!

Overall I enjoyed it, but I definitely felt the demarkation point about halfway through that the OP talks about, its basically after the main character Shaw gives herself surgery. What it does seem like though, is that there were a bunch of conversation/filler scenes that we didn't see, which is why it all seems a bit strange. E.g. No-ones surprised to see Shaw all f***ed up, no-ones talking about the zombie thing that killed like 5 people, and the captain is suddenly prepared to sacrifice himself, etc.

I mean out of all the holes which various people pick out, the biggest one for me is no-one stopped and assessed that zombie dude killing half the crew scenario!

Many of the flaws discussed about black stuff etc I think are misplaced. The questions to me seem to be:

What was the black stuff? Perhaps its a biological weapon? E.g. It can weaponise any DNA, that's why they transform and create strange things.

The starfish thing obviously wasn't a face hugger but was similar. As Khel said, it's heavily indicated the engineers have multiple DNA scenarios going on, who knows what random s*** they're creating?

It also seems like the creation of the xenomorph at the end is totally by accident, perhaps it evolves itself into the aliens we know in later films?

Few peeps have also already explained some of the other holes picked out.

I saw it at imax and the visuals were stunning, lots of interesting questions (If they don't turn out to be bad writing).

Plus, I think Trog should probs just stop watching movies, think your views/expectations are a bit warped - or at least don't let it make you so angry!

Edit: This is pretty funny! http://m15m.livejournal.com/23209.html
07:42am 19/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7051 posts
I enjoyed it twice, despite the many things I thought were stupidly written.

• The geologist getting s*** scared. He looks and talks like a bad ass but runs away like a pansy.

• Running away from the ship along its falling axis. Dumb asses. Oh and the fact that the massive ass ship was stopped from splatting Shaw by a puny little rock behind her. That thing would have blown the rock to smithereens.

• The fluid from the alien in her going INTO her wound. Uhh...

• Miss Vicker's surgery machine is only built for males?

09:05am 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7070 posts
Miss Vicker's surgery machine is only built for males?

Well, noone's really supposed to see it. And noone's supposed to know that Weyland is on board. Having now pointed that out, should it not now be obvious who it was intended for?
09:08am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
23 posts
09:20am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
24 posts

09:21am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20918 posts
Basically if Ridley got Giger to pen the script
Giger is an artist/set designer... not a writer. You generally want people who can actually write to pen scripts.
09:25am 19/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7052 posts
Well, noone's really supposed to see it. And noone's supposed to know that Weyland is on board. Having now pointed that out, should it not now be obvious who it was intended for?

Touché.
09:26am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
26 posts
Giger is an artist/set designer... not a writer. You generally want people who can actually write to pen scripts.

Most visual artists are creative enough to write and someone of his caliber would easily be able to create a script or at least lay a solid foundation behind the visuals.
09:29am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20919 posts
The skills and talents behind being a visual artist are completely and utterly different to the skills and talents required to be a good writer. It's true that there would be some visual artists out there who would be multi-talented and be good writers as well, but to assume that someone who doesn't have a single writing credit to their name would be able to pen a complicated sci-fi script with multiple characters that is also meant to be part one of a trilogy is kind of odd.
09:34am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
27 posts
but to assume that someone who doesn't have a single writing credit to their name

But he has.

Do you normally just blurt out a bunch of bull crap to try and create an argument? OH..
09:40am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20920 posts
What novels and screenplays has he written?
09:44am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
28 posts
So you've gone from 'Writing Credit' to screenplay and novels now? These books are even more of a reason for him to write a script (I suggest you read them) and then come back tell us how it's 'odd' to even think he could pen a script about HIS OWN CREATION.

Giger Alien Movie Design Giger's Alien

By: H. R. Giger

Paperback

Publisher: Morpheus Intl; (1994)

This book takes you through the filmmaking and art design process, and describes how Giger's artistic vision differed from the film's actual outcome. Giger's Alien includes everything from preliminary artwork to the exciting final creature designs.

---

Species Movie Design & Species Design

Publisher: Morpheus International; (1995)

In the official companion book to the major motion picture, the film's artistic designer traces the development of his horrifying sets, special effects, and animatronic puppets.

---

H.R. Giger's Film Design HR Giger's Film Design

Publisher: Morpheus Intl; (11/1/1996)

H.R. Giger is an artist of uncompromising vision who gives free range to his brilliant, often bizarre imagination. In this collection, Giger takes readers on a tour of his fantastic designs, from genesis through gestation to birth, for such films as Alien, Alien 3, and Species. 200 photos & illustrations.
09:53am 19/06/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7072 posts
The skills and talents behind being a visual artist are completely and utterly different to the skills and talents required to be a good writer.

Bondi recognised this when they decided to write LA Noire, and hired experienced writers instead of having the normal gamedev team slap together a storyline.
09:56am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20921 posts
Doorcarter posts a bunch of picture books

Yeah I am aware of them. Steve Waugh wrote a book about his cricketing career as well. Doesn't mean he'd be able to write a novel or screenplay about it. Books containing his art and Giger writing explanations of his art is completely different from creating a work of fiction. From what I've read about the man, he is a massive sperglord and pretty much wouldn't have the right mindset to develop a bunch of characters and give them motivations. Because you know, that is actually pretty essential to creating a fictional story. There is more to it than 'cool aliens and their wacky backstory maaaaan'.

Basically this has just been another thread of you crapping on and pretending to know what you're talking about. It's actually really funny.
09:59am 19/06/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5920 posts
They don't seem like story books carter, more 'This is what I did' diary type books.

Not saying you're wrong though, just the examples you used seem fairly poor as they're in a diffirent classification to a Sci-Fi novel, let alone a movie script.
10:00am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
29 posts
If you're going to create an argument keep it thorough.

fpot said he doesn't have a single writing credit to his name.

I simply showed you 3 writing credits and now it's getting twisted back on me. These three writing credits contain his views and thoughts on the exact subject matter we're trying to discuss, but hang on.. It's odd to thinking that this guy could write a script?

Prometheus has plot holes that a 10 year old might possibly make but now I'm getting inundated with fpots drivel about Giger not being able to create a script. You're a funny (albeit sad) guy.

What's this door s*** anyway? Did you get your c*** stuck in one?
10:04am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20922 posts
Yeah don't worry man you have us all totally fooled.

What you posted weren't writing credits. Even the most dense individual would realise this so I guess you must be breaking new ground in that area. He has never written a single thing in his life. Accept it about your little hero and move on.

You're obviously not an artist fpot so I think your opinion is ignorant.
Well you definitely seem like an artist, but ahhh, not the type who uses paint. Let's see if anyone can guess what type of artist I mean http://i.imgur.com/ZUd5J.gif

You don't need to be an artist to comprehend, critique, give an interpretation of or understand art. That's the beauty of it and one of the most fundamentally good things about it. It shows just how much of a mentally crippled individual that you actually think someone needs to be an artist to talk about art otherwise they are ignorant.

edit: heh nice ninja edit but I caught your dumb little sentence in time. Are you going to start doorleting your posts again soon?
10:09am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
30 posts
I edited that quote out because it seemed a little obtuse, doesn't take away the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: I'm glad you caught that ninja edit - just goes to show what they of person you are. Sitting there refreshing the screen waiting for my response so you can pounce on it immediately with your childish responses that have no real reason to be said other than creating an argument to fill your ego's need. I guess you mustn't get much satisfaction at home?

Stick to making chilli mate.
10:13am 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20923 posts
Totally man you are obviously the one who has it figured all out if you think that Giger should have written Prometheus to make it a better movie. That is easily in the QGL top 100 dumb I reckon.

edit:
Door carter: hey guy posting on an internet forum. I am just using an internet forum to say you are like, so sad, and stuff, for posting on an internet forum. I am so switched on that I can't even see the irony dripping from this very comment. Oh and the fact that over a period of 2 and a bit years I have created about 50 different forum accounts to post with because...
Well f*** I can't even begin to speculate why.
10:16am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
31 posts
haha nice try failpot
10:17am 19/06/12 Permalink
carter
32 posts
I've seen you call five different people Door. Anyone that doesn't agree with you is a Door.

You have like 20000 posts. I think it's safe to say that I and probably every single other person on this ausgamers forum should chime in unison to say.. give the internet a little rest, you're seriously losing your mind.

You either need to find a new hobby or experience some female companionship.
10:25am 19/06/12 Permalink
Vash
3541 posts
TDK = Great movie, terrible choice of batman. his voice in batman suit is so ridiculous i cant take him seriously :(

Prometheus, enjoyed it. I'm a tech nerd and loved all the techy awesomeness in the ship, especially the surgery machine, that was cool. But all the gore in that part not really...
11:54am 19/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7054 posts
But all the gore in that part not really...

How much f*****g anaesthetic and drugs did she keep pumping into herself, despite experiencing immense pain?!
02:37pm 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20924 posts
Just got back from seeing it. I found it to be enjoyable overall. I didn't care about the characters all that much but I did care enough to engage myself with the storyline. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

Door's comments about how Giger should have written the screenplay are still hilarious.
04:14pm 19/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4748 posts
04:16pm 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20925 posts
Prometheus is set in 2089 (or something I forget exactly) and Blade Runner is set in 2019.
04:18pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1573 posts
Isn't the dude in Bladerunner part of the Tyrell corporation? In the later Alien films Weyland Industries is still going.
06:59pm 19/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4750 posts
I've never seen blade runner so idk. Should watch it, I have it but just never loaded it up.
07:00pm 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20926 posts
Watch the final cut.

I have watched it a number of times and I really didn't like it. Every time I watched it I'd love the intro and the premise and get pumped up but would find myself getting bored throughout the movie. The first time I saw it was the theatrical cut where the ending is just a joke and the other times I saw it were the final cut which is considered to be the best.

It is a f*****g amazing movie visually and the premise of an agent whose job is to kill (retire) replicants who have managed to integrate themselves into society is just so f*****g cool. I have no idea why I don't like it.
07:06pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19367 posts
Also, replicants don't appear to be constructed out of jelly and tubes full of milk like the androids in the Alien movies.
09:31pm 19/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15355 posts
i'm the same as you fpot. i think the premise is cool but i find the movie boring.
09:46pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Vash
3544 posts
Execution was probably wrong with Blade runner, but i love that futuristic hong kong type feel of the movie, harrison ford is so dreamy, and that was enough for me to enjoy it.
09:50pm 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20930 posts
It's a movie that desperately needs to be remade I reckon.
10:19pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19369 posts
Well, not a remake, but Ridley Scott's next project is going to be another movie set in the Bladerunner universe (sequel or prequel is anyone's guess atm)
10:34pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Shlater
Caloundra, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
4 posts
Just saw it then. Great movie. I like the themes, especially regarding androids and AI. Nice pictures. What book are they from?
11:48pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4972 posts
They should get the guy from Lost to write the Bladerunner follow up, he's been doing some bang up jobs lately.
12:05am 20/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4754 posts
I would never hire the guys from Lost to write anything much less a high profile movie like BR2 would be. From what I hear about lost and what i've seen of prometheus they havn't gotten the whole "we need to tie everything up" deal when it comes to writing.
12:10am 20/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1576 posts
The Engineer was of the first generation, and lo, did he or someone equally bald beget humanity in the second, because he could. Humanity made the third-generation android because they could, and the android created a fourth generation of life because he had daddy issues, and then the fourth generation created a fifth generation born of the fourth generation made by the third generation using the womb of the second generation created by the first generation, and thus did it crawl out from under that starfish pancake of a facesnuggler.

And lo we were all severely screwed.
03:09am 20/06/12 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
365 posts
From what I hear about lost and what i've seen of prometheus they havn't gotten the whole "we need to tie everything up" deal when it comes to writing.

Does Spoiler:
"they were all dead and in purgatory lol"
count as "tie everything up"? It doesn't? Yeah well, I guess you'd be right then... </bitter>

last edited by Habib at 07:32:05 20/Jun/12
07:23am 20/06/12 Permalink
carter
34 posts
08:46am 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19372 posts
Don't want to get into a discussion of Lost but "they were all dead and in purgatory lol" wasn't the ending anyway, you should read less internets.

Also, looking at those pictures, it made me think, did anyone else feel kind ripped off by the reveal that the huge big "space jockey" thing from the chair in Alien, that everyone has been wondering around for 30 years, turns out to just be a dude in armour? I was hoping for some awesome new creature design, and all we get is big blue dudes in armour, I felt a bit shortchanged by that.
10:58am 20/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20933 posts
I thought it was awesome and probably my favourite bit about the movie. I always had a feeling it was armor anyway. That thing coming out of it's mouth area always looked like some kind of respirator to me.
11:01am 20/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7056 posts
I find it kind of interesting that the DNA of the alien was a complete match to humans. Surely it would have to be a 99.5% match for them to be as different as they are.
11:44am 20/06/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19374 posts
I got the impression that our DNA was like a subset of theirs. I dunno why I got that impression, I think it was just how they worded it when they discovered it, it sounded like they were saying that all our DNA is present in their DNA, but that they're not necessarily the same, just that everything that makes up us is also in theirs (but then they have some more on top of that).
11:52am 20/06/12 Permalink
carter
38 posts
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept034.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept035.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept036.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept037.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept038.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept040.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept041.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept042.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept043.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept044.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept045.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept046.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept047.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept048.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept049.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept050.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept051.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept052.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept053.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept054.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept055.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept056.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept059.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept060.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept061.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept062.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/concept065.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/weylandenergy.jpg

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/weylandtraining.jpg
http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/weylandtransportation.jpg
01:33pm 20/06/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
946 posts
way to ruin the thread carter
01:41pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4981 posts
concept art-o-rama!
Is there a purpose for posting a ton of images instead of maybe linking to an actual image board or a flickr gallery or something?
01:48pm 20/06/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6134 posts
I enjoyed the pics more than the movie.

02:16pm 20/06/12 Permalink
carter
39 posts
lol sorry, just keeping it in the community
02:18pm 20/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6860 posts
finally got around to seeing it, f*****g hilarious film.
all the haters are just approaching it wrong. ridley scott made his first comedy.
can't remember the last movie that gave me so many laugh out loud moments.
10/10
09:55pm 20/06/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6861 posts
highlight for me was the ship that is piloted by a flute and squishy buttons.
was surprised they didn't go moo and woof when he pressed them.
10:52pm 20/06/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7059 posts
I enjoyed Noomi Rapace. Until she got a whole lot of placenta goo in her stomach.
08:45am 21/06/12 Permalink
Shlater
14 posts
I like the pictures. Unlike most people here, I actually really enjoyed Prometheus and the Alien universe. There was stupid moments, however, don't most movies have that (see unlimited ammo, unrealistic bullet wounds etc) And anything with Charlize in tight jumpsuits wins it for me. It's the themes which are important, not the actual plot or cinematography.
02:05pm 21/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20941 posts
Mate, I'm honestly just a newbie and I really don't appreciate being abused by you. I stumbled across this forum because I was looking for prometheus discussions.
Ahhh yes Door. You are such a newbie that you posted this
Shlater: Does this count as advertising?

/locked
In the MSY thread. Amazing that you know about the whole advertising/locked thing when you just stumbled on this forum as a complete newbie hey? See this is what I was talking about when I said you'd have trouble remembering your own lies when using two accounts. Plus if you look at the Prometheus thread and the first contribution you made to it, it was post number 4. You're a pretty dumb f*** hey?

Time for 'omg fpot has no life he just looked up that stuff'. Wake up call buddy, you are currently posting with two accounts for some weird unknown reason, and you have tried to post in the past with what must be dozens of reregs. This is no joke when I say this, but I didn't know people could be as sad and pathetic as you are. You are literally redefining those two words with every post you make. Keep it coming.

edit: I'd just like to post a bit of trivia in case people think I am going overboard here. During one of Door's little meltdowns he stalked me on facebook and found out where I worked. He then proceeded to call my employers and make complaints about me to them. Of course, the complaints were dismissed because he is a terrible liar and didn't think it through in that he was actually required to give details about the complaints (where I was working, what I did etc). He just rang up and said 'Ben Lillie did this and that'. That is irl stalking so it is kinda fun to make fun of him in retaliation to that.
02:39pm 21/06/12 Permalink
Shlater
17 posts
As was advised by a pop up when I first posted, i read the rules. Which explicitly state advertising is not allowed. Secondly, I browsed threads for some time and realised a number of threads had been locked due to advertising. All hail internet tough guy forum policeman. Lets get back to prometheus discussion shall we.

Personally, I think the movie was a fantastic integration and prequel to the alien movies. It still leaves mysteries, but it's a bit much to ask that EVERYTHING be explained about the Aliens movies be tied up in one movie. We had some tidbits which I think was awesome but the entire Alien saga is a mystery. If the whole thing was explained, I personally would feel a bit empty.
02:45pm 21/06/12 Permalink
Shlater
23 posts
06:57pm 21/06/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
12 posts
awful
08:59am 14/07/12 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
484 posts
I cant have enough of this movie...im getting a poster with R.S. signature and the upcoming action figures!!! nerds look out!
11:47am 14/07/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3335 posts
I also really enjoyed it, it had flaws, but nothing that made me hate it. I really hope there is a big directors cut coming though.
11:49am 14/07/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6016 posts
03:01pm 14/07/12 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
369 posts
Ok since this old thread was resurrected, we can derail it now.

Don't want to get into a discussion of Lost but "they were all dead and in purgatory lol" wasn't the ending anyway, you should read less internets

You've got to be kidding. I'm not talking about the island, I'm talking about the 'flash sideways' world of the final season, remember that? The bit in the finale where they make it clear that they're all dead, and they meet up in a *church* and walk through a door into the light 'when they're ready'?

It's barely any better than the "and then the protagonist woke up and realised it was all a dream" way of wrapping things up.
07:55pm 14/07/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2453 posts
I also really enjoyed it, it had flaws, but nothing that made me hate it.

Yeah, same for me. I didnt see any previews though and i heard that people may have been mislead by them. I also really liked how the movie left you thinking about certain things (such as what the android said to the alien).
11:36pm 14/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36517 posts

Seriously, still f*** this movie.
12:17pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20741 posts
I was going to rent this, thanks to that honest trailer I don't think I'd even bother watching it when it comes out on TV, or even waste bandwidth on it. Is it really that bad?
12:35pm 06/10/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15987 posts
it was ok. it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be.
12:56pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20972 posts
It's worth watching. The Dark Knight Rises had more plot holes than this did and people seemed to like that better.
01:21pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20743 posts
I hated that other batman movie, the one with heath ledger, so much that I haven't even seen the latest one.

The video store down the road is always having cheap movie deals on, maybe I'll give it a shot.
01:39pm 06/10/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21601 posts
If you are that bad at watching movies that you don't like The Dark Knight I'd prefer you didn't watch TDKR because then I'd have to read all your bad/wrong opinions about it.
01:43pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6299 posts
Been told the dvd/bluray release is meant to have an alternate start/finish which explains more.

01:48pm 06/10/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6955 posts
i avoided seeing prometheus because i am a huge aliens fan & read so much bad press about it that i concluded it must be pretty crap. i saw it about 2 weeks ago & i thought it was good. not awesome, not terrible, good. yes, there were gaping holes in the series continuity but despite that it was an awesomely bleak horror sci-fi.

i do think that if i had gone & seen it straight after getting pumped by the killer trailer it had... i would have been disappointed. but as i went in with very low expectations, i enjoyed it. i hope they make a sequel about the chick taking the killer virus to the engineer planet :)
02:03pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
778 posts
I hated that other batman movie, the one with heath ledger, so much that I haven't even seen the latest one.The video store down the road is always having cheap movie deals on, maybe I'll give it a shot.

I didn't hate TDKR it but don't get the hype about it. Some people seem to think it's one of the best movies ever putting in their top 10. It was a ok movie, and that's about it for me.

Haven't seen Prometheus yet, plan on watching it tonight. I'm expecting it to be decent. The only people who seem upset are the Alien fanboys who had their expectations way up.
02:23pm 06/10/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5021 posts
I felt let down by it simply because last I had heard about it was that it's a prequel to the original alien movie. However that wasn't the case and was just a film in the alien universe so if I had gone in with that mind set i'd of like it a lot more. I gotta rewatch it again sometime.
02:26pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20744 posts
If you are that bad at watching movies that you don't like The Dark Knight I'd prefer you didn't watch TDKR because then I'd have to read all your bad/wrong opinions about it.

You have me confused with someone who cares.
02:30pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Caveboy
Brisbane, Queensland
340 posts
I also went in with low expectations and ending up enjoying it.

I just rewatched it with commentary from the two writers, which helped explain a few of the gaping holes and odd decisions in the movie.

04:55pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2926 posts
Watched it a few days ago, didn't mind it but lots of unanswered questions. The idea of the guy disintegrating into the water to create life was more interesting than the whole aliens angle imo.
05:22pm 06/10/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3468 posts
watched this last night. wasn't too bad, wasn't too good. just average, about a 5/10

the ending was the best bit. I haven't read the whole thread to see if it's revealed so i won't here. but i really like that last scene and now i want to watch something else again, wink wink ;-)
06:16pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4791 posts
No the last bit was stupid because its already been established in other places that the aliens have been around for ages, assuming the point of that last scene was "hey look the first alien", and if it isnt... then what was the intended point other than to show that it was in the alien universe?

As a movie that stand on its own, it was "meh" barely anything happened, a lot of stupid s*** that make much sense in the context of the movie itself, but it looked nice i guess. For the "epic" set up though, and then they get attacked by a few mutated worms... just meh.
If you take it in the context of an alien movie where you think the story/canon is going to progress, then its just s***.
06:34pm 06/10/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3469 posts
assuming the point of that last scene was "hey look the first alien"

that's how i interpreted it.
06:39pm 06/10/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15988 posts

No the last bit was stupid because its already been established in other places that the aliens have been around for ages

if you're thinking of the avp movies, i don't think they're considered canon.
06:48pm 06/10/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2824 posts
Prometheus is easily the worst movie I have ever seen.
07:09pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4792 posts
Well theyre not considered canon because they flopped? And they wanted to retcon canon with prometheus?
07:33pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
779 posts
I liked it. It's only first part right?
09:16pm 06/10/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5289 posts

I envy your success in avoiding any movie made by either Courtney Solomon and Uwe Boll for this long.
09:51pm 06/10/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21604 posts
Also Brett Ratner movies (he is the worst)
10:02pm 06/10/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2825 posts
Nah Prometheus was worse than any of those movies. At least you're not supposed to take them seriously.

Prometheus seemed like a spoof film of bad sci-fi horror movies, if Uwe Boll had made it then that is exactly what I would have thought it was and probably enjoyed it a bit more.

After I watched it I checked out IMDB to see how bad it's rating must be and it's 7.5/10 so maybe it was a really good spoof film and I am wrong about it wanting you to take it seriously.
10:17pm 06/10/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21606 posts
Just need to perform the standard tests here...

Your opinion on The Dark Knight?

edit: I spell word good
10:22pm 06/10/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2826 posts
Yes yes, we all know you have a hard on for TDK fpot.

It was ok for a movie without Bruce Willis in it.
10:32pm 06/10/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3006 posts

See to me thats a stupid statement. Surely, out of all the movies you've seen there must have been something worse? Started watching Sniper 3 last night for lols and f*** me thats bad. I can understand not taking movies seriously but thats the choice of the viewer as most movies want to be taken seriously, no matter how absurd they are. Also, Piranha 3DD was s***.

I went into prometheus without seeing any trailers and had no clue apart from that it was popular and by the dude who did alien and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think most people ITT that didnt like it went in expecting something else due to hype/previews/trailers etc that may or may not have been misleading.

I had a tonne of questions after the movie, and even more after reading people's explanations online so im looking forward to the commentary offered on the DVD if it offers some kind of insight.
10:41pm 06/10/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6946 posts
The only reason I expected more from it was because of Ridley Scott. Alien is a great film but I wouldn't rate it as his best.

I didn't have any preconceived notions about it being an Alien prequel because I'm not retarded. Prior to its release Scott stressed in multiple interviews and media for the film that it was merely the same universe. It's ironic because the ridiculous final scene would probably have never even existed if not for rabid fanboys.

Having said that, it was an entertaining film because it was so visually incredible and the craziness of it all was hilarious. It someone with less pedigree than Scott had made the exact same film (sans alien) I have no doubt it would have still been criticised but generally more well received.

last edited by reload! at 04:57:06 07/Oct/12
04:55am 07/10/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15995 posts
there's an easter egg on the bluray which hints at prometheus and blade runner being in the same universe. it's a memo from peter weyland which hints that his mentor was eldon tyrell who was head of the tyrell corparation in blade runner.
10:01am 08/10/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8272 posts
I watched this the other week and thought it was a pretty good movie. I think the sequel will be where Ridley Scott comes into his own and will probably be a bit closer to Alien in terms of suspense, thriller, etc.
10:12am 08/10/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1265 posts

I see your Prometheus and raise you a Battlefield Earth.

Finally got around to watching this, missed it at the cinema after it was panned by so many. I actually enjoyed it. I didn't spend the whole time trying to tie it into the other Alien movies though........don't think you can really do that and then enjoy the movie.
05:18pm 08/10/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6630 posts
I see your Prometheus and raise you a Battlefield Earth.
Pfft, it's all about The Room:
05:24pm 08/10/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19979 posts
Worst movie I think I've ever seen was Starship Troopers 2, Prometheus doesn't even come close to being the worst movie I've seen.

Edit: Oh or possibly Mulholland Drive because I f*****g hate David Lynch and that movie goes out of its way to not make sense, it makes me angry I wasted 2 hours of my life watching that drivel.
05:49pm 08/10/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4795 posts
Yeah, last 20 minutes of Mulholland drive my thoughts were "oh f*** right thats the kind of s*** david lynch does"

Prometheus wasn't the worst, it was just meh... not much really happened, except for some memorably stupid s***. And that's with the fact it isn't an Alien movie in mind.
there's an easter egg on the bluray which hints at prometheus and blade runner being in the same universe
Apparently the hologram of weyland was set in an office that looks like a blade runner set. (might have been mentioned in this thread a link in it)
06:50pm 08/10/12 Permalink
RedMercury
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
Worst movie I think I've ever seen was Starship Troopers 2, Prometheus doesn't even come close to being the worst movie I've seen.Edit: Oh or possibly Mulholland Drive because I f*****g hate David Lynch and that movie goes out of its way to not make sense, it makes me angry I wasted 2 hours of my life watching that drivel.

Haha yes! Starship Troopers 2...
12:19am 10/10/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2174 posts
YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!!!
02:20am 10/10/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3533 posts
Here's another take on it:

This blogpost contains many and frequent spoilers for Prometheus, so if you're planning on seeing it, I recommend you don't spoil yourself.

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes.

Let's begin with the eponymous titan himself, Prometheus. He was a wise and benevolent entity who created mankind in the first place, forming the first humans from clay. The Gods were more or less okay with that, until Prometheus gave them fire. This was a big no-no, as fire was supposed to be the exclusive property of the Gods. As punishment, Prometheus was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (His liver magically grew back, in case you were wondering.)

Fix that image in your mind, please: the giver of life, with his abdomen torn open. We'll be coming back to it many times in the course of this article.

The ethos of the titan Prometheus is one of willing and necessary sacrifice for life's sake. That's a pattern we see replicated throughout the ancient world. J G Frazer wrote his lengthy anthropological study, The Golden Bough, around the idea of the Dying God - a lifegiver who voluntarily dies for the sake of the people. It was incumbent upon the King to die at the right and proper time, because that was what heaven demanded, and fertility would not ensue if he did not do his royal duty of dying.

Now, consider the opening sequence of Prometheus. We fly over a spectacular vista, which may or may not be primordial Earth. According to Ridley Scott, it doesn't matter. A lone Engineer at the top of a waterfall goes through a strange ritual, drinking from a cup of black goo that causes his body to disintegrate into the building blocks of life. We see the fragments of his body falling into the river, twirling and spiralling into DNA helices.

Ridley Scott has this to say about the scene: 'That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.'

Can we find a God in human history who creates plant life through his own death, and who is associated with a river? It's not difficult to find several, but the most obvious candidate is Osiris, the epitome of all the Frazerian 'Dying Gods'.

And we wouldn't be amiss in seeing the first of the movie's many Christian allegories in this scene, either. The Engineer removes his cloak before the ceremony, and hesitates before drinking the cupful of genetic solvent; he may well have been thinking 'If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me.'

So, we know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

The crew of the Prometheus discover an ancient chamber, presided over by a brooding solemn face, in which urns of the same black substance are kept. A mural on the wall presents an image which, if you did as I asked earlier on, you will recognise instantly: the lifegiver with his abdomen torn open. Go and look at it here to refresh your memory. Note the serenity on the Engineer's face here.

And there's another mural there, one which shows a familiar xenomorph-like figure. This is the Destroyer who mirrors the Creator, I think - the avatar of supremely selfish life, devouring and destroying others purely to preserve itself. As Ash puts it: 'a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.'

Through Shaw and Holloway's investigations, we learn that the Engineers not only created human life, they supervised our development. (How else are we to explain the numerous images of Engineers in primitive art, complete with star diagram showing us the way to find them?) We have to assume, then, that for a good few hundred thousand years, they were pretty happy with us. They could have destroyed us at any time, but instead, they effectively invited us over; the big pointy finger seems to be saying 'Hey, guys, when you're grown up enough to develop space travel, come see us.' Until something changed, something which not only messed up our relationship with them but caused their installation on LV-223 to be almost entirely wiped out.

From the Engineers' perspective, so long as humans retained that notion of self-sacrifice as central, we weren't entirely beyond redemption. But we went and screwed it all up, and the film hints at when, if not why: the Engineers at the base died two thousand years ago. That suggests that the event that turned them against us and led to the huge piles of dead Engineers lying about was one and the same event. We did something very, very bad, and somehow the consequences of that dreadful act accompanied the Engineers back to LV-223 and massacred them.

If you have uneasy suspicions about what 'a bad thing approximately 2,000 years ago' might be, then let me reassure you that you are right. An astonishing excerpt from the Movies.com interview with Ridley Scott:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

So, imagine poor crucified Jesus, a fresh spear wound in his side. Oh, hey, there's the 'lifegiver with his abdomen torn open' motif again. That's three times now: Prometheus, Engineer mural, Jesus Christ. And I don't think I have to mention the 'sacrifice in the interest of giving life' bit again, do I? Everyone on the same page? Good.

So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. We never see the threat that the Engineers were fleeing from, we never see them killed other than accidentally (decapitation by door), and we see no remaining trace of whatever killed them. Either it left a long time ago, or it reverted to inert black slime, waiting for a human mind to reactivate it.

The black slime reacts to the nature and intent of the being that wields it, and the humans in the film didn't even know that they WERE wielding it. That's why it remained completely inert in David's presence, and why he needed a human proxy in order to use the stuff to create anything. The black goo could read no emotion or intent from him, because he was an android.

Shaw's comment when the urn chamber is entered - 'we've changed the atmosphere in the room' - is deceptively informative. The psychic atmosphere has changed, because humans - tainted, Space Jesus-killing humans - are present. The slime begins to engender new life, drawing not from a self-sacrificing Engineer but from human hunger for knowledge, for more life, for more everything. Little wonder, then, that it takes serpent-like form. The symbolism of a corrupting serpent, turning men into beasts, is pretty unmistakeable.

Refusal to accept death is anathema to the Engineers. Right from the first scene, we learned their code of willing self-sacrifice in accord with a greater purpose. When the severed Engineer head is temporarily brought back to life, its expression registers horror and disgust. Cinemagoers are confused when the head explodes, because it's not clear why it should have done so. Perhaps the Engineer wanted to die again, to undo the tainted human agenda of new life without sacrifice.

But some humans do act in ways the Engineers might have grudgingly admired. Take Holloway, Shaw's lover, who impregnates her barren womb with his black slime riddled semen before realising he is being transformed into something Other. Unlike the hapless geologist and botanist left behind in the chamber, who only want to stay alive, Holloway willingly embraces death. He all but invites Meredith Vickers to kill him, and it's surely significant that she does so using fire, the other gift Prometheus gave to man besides his life.

The 'Caesarean' scene is central to the film's themes of creation, sacrifice, and giving life. Shaw has discovered she's pregnant with something non-human and sets the autodoc to slice it out of her. She lies there screaming, a gaping wound in her stomach, while her tentacled alien child thrashes and squeals in the clamp above her and OH HEY IT'S THE LIFEGIVER WITH HER ABDOMEN TORN OPEN. How many times has that image come up now? Four, I make it. (We're not done yet.)

And she doesn't kill it. And she calls the procedure a 'caesarean' instead of an 'abortion'.

(I'm not even going to begin to explore the pro-choice versus forced birth implications of that scene. I don't think they're clear, and I'm not entirely comfortable doing so. Let's just say that her unwanted offspring turning out to be her salvation is possibly problematic from a feminist standpoint and leave it there for now.)

Here's where the Christian allegories really come through. The day of this strange birth just happens to be Christmas Day. And this is a 'virgin birth' of sorts, although a dark and twisted one, because Shaw couldn't possibly be pregnant. And Shaw's the crucifix-wearing Christian of the crew. We may well ask, echoing Yeats: what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards LV-223 to be born?

Consider the scene where David tells Shaw that she's pregnant, and tell me that's not a riff on the Annunciation. The calm, graciously angelic android delivering the news, the pious mother who insists she can't possibly be pregnant, the wry declaration that it's no ordinary child... yeah, we've seen this before.

'And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.'

A barren woman called Elizabeth, made pregnant by 'God'? Subtle, Ridley.

Anyway. If it weren't already clear enough that the central theme of the film is 'I suffer and die so that others may live' versus 'you suffer and die so that I may live' writ extremely large, Meredith Vickers helpfully spells it out:

'A king has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable.'

Vickers is not just speaking out of personal frustration here, though that's obviously one level of it. She wants her father out of the way, so she can finally come in to her inheritance. It's insult enough that Weyland describes the android David as 'the closest thing I have to a son', as if only a male heir was of any worth; his obstinate refusal to accept death is a slap in her face.

Weyland, preserved by his wealth and the technology it can buy, has lived far, far longer than his rightful time. A ghoulish, wizened creature who looks neither old nor young, he reminds me of Slough Feg, the decaying tyrant from the Slaine series in British comic 2000AD. In Slaine, an ancient (and by now familiar to you, dear reader, or so I would hope) Celtic law decrees that the King has to be ritually and willingly sacrificed at the end of his appointed time, for the good of the land and the people. Slough Feg refused to die, and became a rotting horror, the embodiment of evil.

The image of the sorcerer who refuses to accept rightful death is fundamental: it even forms a part of some occult philosophy. In Crowley's system, the magician who refuses to accept the bitter cup of Babalon and undergo dissolution of his individual ego in the Great Sea (remember that opening scene?) becomes an ossified, corrupted entity called a 'Black Brother' who can create no new life, and lives on as a sterile, emasculated husk.

With all this in mind, we can better understand the climactic scene in which the withered Weyland confronts the last surviving Engineer. See it from the Engineer's perspective. Two thousand years ago, humanity not only murdered the Engineers' emissary, it infected the Engineers' life-creating fluid with its own tainted selfish nature, creating monsters. And now, after so long, here humanity is, presumptuously accepting a long-overdue invitation, and even reawakening (and corrupting all over again) the life fluid.

And who has humanity chosen to represent them? A self-centred, self-satisfied narcissist who revels in his own artificially extended life, who speaks through the medium of a merely mechanical offspring. Humanity couldn't have chosen a worse ambassador.

It's hardly surprising that the Engineer reacts with contempt and disgust, ripping David's head off and battering Weyland to death with it. The subtext is bitter and ironic: you caused us to die at the hands of our own creation, so I am going to kill you with YOUR own creation, albeit in a crude and bludgeoning way.

The only way to save humanity is through self-sacrifice, and this is exactly what the captain (and his two oddly complacent co-pilots) opt to do. They crash the Prometheus into the Engineer's ship, giving up their lives in order to save others. Their willing self-sacrifice stands alongside Holloway's and the Engineer's from the opening sequence; by now, the film has racked up no less than five self-sacrificing gestures (six if we consider the exploding Engineer head).

Meredith Vickers, of course, has no interest in self-sacrifice. Like her father, she wants to keep herself alive, and so she ejects and lands on the planet's surface. With the surviving cast now down to Vickers and Shaw, we witness Vickers's rather silly death as the Engineer ship rolls over and crushes her, due to a sudden inability on her part to run sideways. Perhaps that's the point; perhaps the film is saying her view is blinkered, and ultimately that kills her. But I doubt it. Sometimes a daft death is just a daft death.

Finally, in the squidgy ending scenes of the film, the wrathful Engineer conveniently meets its death at the tentacles of Shaw's alien child, now somehow grown huge. But it's not just a death; there's obscene life being created here, too. The (in the Engineers' eyes) horrific human impulse to sacrifice others in order to survive has taken on flesh. The Engineer's body bursts open - blah blah lifegiver blah blah abdomen ripped apart hey we're up to five now - and the proto-Alien that emerges is the very image of the creature from the mural.

On the face of it, it seems absurd to suggest that the genesis of the Alien xenomorph ultimately lies in the grotesque human act of crucifying the Space Jockeys' emissary to Israel in four B.C., but that's what Ridley Scott proposes. It seems equally insane to propose that Prometheus is fundamentally about the clash between acceptance of death as a condition of creating/sustaining life versus clinging on to life at the expense of others, but the repeated, insistent use of motifs and themes bears this out.

As a closing point, let me draw your attention to a very different strand of symbolism that runs through Prometheus: the British science fiction show Doctor Who. In the 1970s episode 'The Daemons', an ancient mound is opened up, leading to an encounter with a gigantic being who proves to be an alien responsible for having guided mankind's development, and who now views mankind as a failed experiment that must be destroyed. The Engineers are seen tootling on flutes, in exactly the same way that the second Doctor does. The Third Doctor had an companion whose name was Liz Shaw, the same name as the protagonist of Prometheus. As with anything else in the film, it could all be coincidental; but knowing Ridley Scott, it doesn't seem very likely.

QUICK EDIT: Just noting down some of the other Christian symbolism I missed, with thanks to those who pointed them out: David washes Weyland's feet, and I'm told that when Janek and his co-pilots sacrifice their lives to save the Earth, they apparently stand in the form of crucifixes, their arms held out. ('Hands up'?) So you have three 'crucified' guys, one in the middle higher up, the other two on the sides, lower down. All a bit Calvary. However, I don't remember that bit very clearly myself, so I'll have to go see it again.

I'll add source tomorrow when not on phone. A bit of it fits in with how I perceived some of the direction of the movie.
02:26am 10/10/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4443 posts
prometheus was great you just need a little smarts to understand it. if you dont like it, it means your dumb and bad at movies.
07:46am 10/10/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3019 posts
Big ass read but i liked it. Most of it agrees with the generally consensus i reached after looking for explanations online. I think the space jesus idea is pretty lol.
09:31am 10/10/12 Permalink
PornoPete
UK
771 posts
Thanks for that mental.

I didn't think it was too bad a film. But with that interpretation it might benefit from a couple of viewings.

I still hated dumb stuff like rappelling after self cesarean, and "oh giant skinny long thing falling, quick run in the longest dimension."

I suppose Scott was fishing for the rights to make a few more. Some sequels could spend time fleshing those ideas out.

But yeah I remember reading over and over again Scott saying this is *NOT* an aliens prequel, so I wasn't expecting loads of alien stuff.
10:35am 10/10/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4796 posts
Some sequels could spend time fleshing those ideas out.
Right because the writer of lost really knows how to wrap up loose ends.

I read that post before, think it might have been linked in this thread? Or somewhere else that i checked after i watched the movie. And while all that subtext and explanation is kinda interesting, it would be heaps better as subtext to a decent movie.
07:18pm 10/10/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20986 posts
Can't wait for the 3D bluray next week. It's going to look awesome on my tv. I don't normally watch 3D stuff but I'd like to see this in some nice HD3D goodness.
08:20pm 10/10/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5562 posts
Someone posted that link before in this thread. It is an interesting read but keep in mind something; if you need that much f*****g text to explain a movie then you're doing something wrong.

P.S Lost writer enough said (what bah said).
10:14pm 10/10/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10494 posts
I saw this today for the first time and in spite of some minor flaws I think it is totally excellent. Obviously if you went in there expecting an Aliens movie you were bound to be disappointed. Most of the problems you guys have found though are easily explained by the movie itself.

- Why in the f*** does the autodoc not have a proper anesthetic? WORST FUTURE DEVICE EVER.
- I was probably rolling my eyes so might have missed something here, but didn't she just get sutures from the autodoc after her MAJOR STOMACH SURGERY? After 30 seconds of running around her guts would have been bleeding and flapping open all over the place.
- Why were all these aliens connected to their host by a placenta and umbilical cord? The entire Alien universe is based on these things being these horrible parasites, right? The humans that host them are NOT pregnant. They're infested.

The autodoc gave her a visible orange local anaesthetic for the laser incision, not for the full body pain the growth was causing. The autodoc used a freaking laser which is why she wasn't bleeding.
The alien in her uterus did not grow from a purely parasitic egg, it grew from a combination of Holloway's infected sperm and her healthy ovum. So presumably her DNA required that it grow like a normal fetus but his was the reason it was not human.

Why was David never questioned about any of his motives? Is it because he was made to be more human so everyone else was like "We'll just ignore what he's doing beccause he's being a human"

It was made clear when he was talking to Weyland while he was still in his cryotube that he was taking orders from him. But the reason that he didn't care if he hurt anyone was explained by Bishop in Aliens at the breakfast table.

How did the facehugger at the end become the size it was?

It wasn't a facehugger, it was a giant f*****g squid facehugger thing. This official infographic explains it well:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/6/23/15/enhanced-buzz-3983-1340479986-0.jpg

Now according to that the sacrificial scene at the beginning was the creation of humanity on Earth or another planet. The container and the male human makes the carrier which combines with the woman's DNA to create the squid facehugger. The squid facehugger and the engineer combines to create the aliens which you saw the beginning of at the end. The reason it would be different to the aliens in the aliens movies is because it is a product of the other two, not a product of the alien and a human (or dog or cow like in the two different versions of Alien 3) that you see in those movies. That may explain the engineer on the chair with his chest blown in the the beginning of the first two Aliens movies, another sacrifice. But perhaps those alien eggs are the product of an engineer + squid facehugger with another engineer.

Here's another interesting infographic: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3d3yN_D7j60/UAJzbfDChaI/AAAAAAAAIL8/8JWyn-yQiVI/s1600/Alien-lifecycle-evolution-infographic-geektwins-4681x3311.png

Why are there cave paintings pointing to their military base planet.

That should be obvious. If the events that unfolded in the movie (the engineers failed to deliver the virus) occurred then humans could go and get infected and take it home with them like they almost did in the movie.

I think you can fairly explain the stupidity of the scientists with their naivety. They assumed the engineers wanted them to come and find them and be best friends forever, so there was no reason to expect any danger.

As for the running from the falling ship thing, I thought they were running toward the lifepod and didn't notice the ship falling toward them until it was too late. There was no reason for it to crush her and the rock if the weight was distributed toward the front of the ship, which it certainly appeared to be. The tails of the ship curved upward slightly. That didn't seem like a problem to me.

Now I am willing to bet the other ships in the movie were for other planets where they had spawned humans. So we may get to see that, a totally different evolution of humans on one or more other planets. Maybe in the sequels Shaw will go to warn them instead of going to the engineers' planet. Of course I may be barking up the wrong tree, it's just an idea.

On the God/Jesus thing, I thought that was quite subtle and very well done. When Shaw was examining the head with the carbon dater she said it was 2000 years old, give or take. When she was screaming at the engineer she was asking what they had done wrong to deserve extinction/cross-breeding. I am not religious but my interpretation was that God did in fact exist and through Jesus showed us that He had chosen us to be His children. Out of jealousy the engineers sought to destroy us because we had been chosen instead of them. It doesn't account for creationism but who gives a f*** about that rubbish?

That was my initial take on the film before I read that mythology based rundown.

Wow I can't believe I only just noticed how similar the name Ripley is to Ridley. A rotated d.

last edited by dais at 04:22:37 12/Oct/12
04:19am 12/10/12 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
350 posts
I only just watched this movie last night and personally thought it was awesome.

I have not yet seen Alien (a bit of it) or Aliens, so that had no influence on my thoughts of the film.
05:55am 12/10/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19994 posts
I thought they were running toward the lifepod and didn't notice the ship falling toward them until it was too late

Can't tell if serious...
11:15am 12/10/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10496 posts
I meant they saw the ship hit the ground and just started running in the direction they were already going. But yeah OK, upon checking it that's not what they were doing. But they didn't run in a straight line at all. There is a point where it shows them both veer sharply to their left, doing exactly what everyone has suggested. But unfortunately for Vickers the ship began to turn at the same angle they were running after they had turned. They didn't show the ship turning very well though and that is why it has drawn such criticism. Maybe some shots from that scene remained on the cutting room floor.

last edited by dais at 12:02:35 12/Oct/12
12:00pm 12/10/12 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
540 posts
Best scifi movie made for some time...the people that dont like the movie are the ones that like to be spoon fed the story lines... they got used to mediocre plots with lots of explosions.
12:06pm 12/10/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6141 posts
09:40am 14/10/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12920 posts
It is an interesting read but keep in mind something; if you need that much f*****g text to explain a movie then you're doing something wrong.

No, no, a million f*****g times no! We have plenty of films that can be watched with your brain turned off and have no subtext.
10:51am 14/10/12 Permalink
metalskeith
Melbourne, Victoria
9 posts
Really confusing movie...
06:35pm 23/10/12 Permalink
Crunch
Perth, Western Australia
1101 posts
I have not yet seen Alien (a bit of it) or Aliens

Do yourself a favour and see it (them).
10:03pm 23/10/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11755 posts

I watched this last night...son...I am disappoint! It was ridiculous, except without the funny. I would rate as being worse than Alien Resurrection.
09:12am 24/10/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2185 posts
Alien Resurrection wasn't that bad IMO.
Sure it wasn't as bad ass as Aliens or as clinical as Alien but I didn't mind it at all and I am a big fan of the series.
If nothing else the scene where the xenomorphs are swimming towards Ripley and she turns and stares at them is as creepy and stylish as horror gets.

Please mute:

12:45am 25/10/12 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1216 posts
Bored. Had to make myself watch it to the end.
12:50am 25/10/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2186 posts

PS if you cbf watching the whole thing the last couple of minutes pose some interesting thoughts about Prometheus and the role of sci-fi as asking, rather than answering, the "big" questions.
01:10am 25/10/12 Permalink
Vuko
Geelong, Victoria
11 posts
Best scifi movie made for some time...the people that dont like the movie are the ones that like to be spoon fed the story lines... they got used to mediocre plots with lots of explosions.

I agree. I personally just loved the movie. Most people who don't like it have probably not seen any of the old ones or don't know how to appreciate them since they are too used to all the special-fx-based movies with no real storyline.
09:35am 25/10/12 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1217 posts
^ Sorry Vuko but you're dead wrong. I'm in my 50's and have seen more sci-fi movies than you breakfasts and I still found it boring. Don't make assumptions you can't back up.
12:31pm 25/10/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1208 posts
have seen more sci-fi movies than you breakfasts
Don't make assumptions
12:36pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1218 posts
That's not an assumption. That's pure fact. LOL
12:46pm 25/10/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1209 posts
He might REALLY like breakfast though, you can never tell.
12:59pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7818 posts
Finally got around to watching this couple nights ago, it was...odd. A lot of plot holes, a lot of questions and not much in the way of answers really. There was some pretty cool special effects but otherwise it was pretty bland for a sci-fi movie "based" in the Alien franchise. Of course I didn't prepare myself for a true Alien sequel/prequel so I wasn't disappointed on that part, was just really left clueless as to why certain things happened.

I guess I can see why they left so many questions unanswered - in that doing so makes it more mysterious and makes you want to see Prometheus 2 - but really it just leaves a sour taste. I guess we will just never really know what the hell was going on.
01:25pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Vuko
Geelong, Victoria
12 posts
He might REALLY like breakfast though, you can never tell.

In fact I LOVE breakfast. Sometimes I have it twice in a row. Sometimes three times a day.
And sometimes I just don't give a *uck :D
01:37pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Vuko
Geelong, Victoria
13 posts
I guess we will just never really know what the hell was going on.

I hope we will get some more answers in the next movie :)
01:44pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4806 posts
PS if you cbf watching the whole thing the last couple of minutes pose some interesting thoughts about Prometheus and the role of sci-fi as asking, rather than answering, the "big" questions.
The original alien asked the very deep questions "What happens when something with acid for blood decides to f*** s*** up?" I feel it answered my questions quite thoroughly.
Prometheus, i have no idea what it was asking, and the movie didnt give me much reason to look further.
05:29pm 25/10/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2285 posts
That's not an assumption. That's pure fact. LOL

Well he's 26, let's assume he started eating solids when he was around 1 year old. The fact that he is actually over 26, probably started eating solids earlier than 1, and that we won't count leap year days, can account for the times he didn't have breakfast. So:
25 × 365 = 9125

Please back up your assumption by showing evidence that you have seen more than 9125 different sci-fi movies (ideally a list of every one or similar).
07:55pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Vuko
Geelong, Victoria
14 posts
Well he's 26, let's assume he started eating solids when he was around 1 year old. The fact that he is actually over 26, probably started eating solids earlier than 1, and that we won't count leap year days, can account for the times he didn't have breakfast. So:25 × 365 = 9125Please back up your assumption by showing evidence that you have seen more than 9125 different sci-fi movies (ideally a list of every one or similar).

If there was a like button here, I would click it.
08:08pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21011 posts
No. SFB said he had seen more sci-fi movies than Vuko had seen breakfasts. He didn't mention anything about eating breakfast. So that could possibly be true. Until we know how many breakfasts Vuko has seen then we just won't know for sure.
08:29pm 25/10/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2287 posts
No. SFB said he had seen more sci-fi movies than Vuko had seen breakfasts. He didn't mention anything about eating breakfast. So that could possibly be true. Until we know how many breakfasts Vuko has seen then we just won't know for sure.

Well surely we can assume that he's at least seen every breakfast he's eaten, so call it a very conservative estimate.
08:39pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21012 posts
We could probably rule out the first few years of his life though. Babies have no idea what's going on half the time.
08:44pm 25/10/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2288 posts
Well, he did only say "seen", not comprehended or remembered.
08:56pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3634 posts
We could probably rule out the first few years of his life though. Babies have no idea what's going on half the time.

F*****g Babies, c**** the lot of them!
09:05pm 25/10/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1218 posts
Crazy thought - Vuko is blind! He never actually saw the breakfasts.
09:25pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1841 posts
Crazy thought, you are all peanuts that argue over a mediocre movie no matter what year you were f*****g born.
09:29pm 25/10/12 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3579 posts
This movie was bad. Not as bad as either of the Aliens vs. Predator movies, but pretty bad. Worse than Alien Resurrection? Possibly.

Very nice visual effects, but paper-thin characters, plenty of plot holes (and don't even try to suggest I didn't understand the plot, it wasn't a complicated one, just incoherent at times).

It relied on stupid ploys to build suspense (characters doing obviously dumb things, that's a staple of teen horror flicks, not something you should see in a first rate sci-fi film).

Worst of all, it failed to deliver a single original concept or even a novel interpretation of an established one.

I've seen worse sci-fi films recently, but this was still not a good movie. Maybe I'm judging it harshly because I'm a fan of the franchise, but still. Disappointing. Yet another example of a studio trampling on a good franchise with an opportunistic sequels/prequel/edit.
10:43pm 25/10/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2289 posts
Crazy thought - Vuko is blind! He never actually saw the breakfasts.

Hmm, the claim "I've seen more movies than a blind person has breakfasts" holds somewhat less weight I think...
10:44pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5353 posts
Worse than Alien Resurrection? Possibly.

Boom! Whoa, I wasn't impressed by Prometheus but I wouldn't go that far. Alien Resurrection was pretty f*****g bad.
11:40pm 25/10/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21014 posts
Let's not get carried away. Alien 3 is worse than Resurrection.
11:46pm 25/10/12 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3580 posts
I said possibly :) Alien Resurrection gets spared some criticism because:

a.) There was basically no plot, hence fewer plot holes,
b.) It didn't mess with franchise cannon until the stupid hybrid alien at the end (and now Prometheus has suggested that that wasn't a violation of Aliens cannon after all),
c.) As in Prometheus most of the characters were flat out retarded and unlikeable, but at least they were killed off steadily.
d.) Resurrection had some reasonable action sequences.

I'll have to think on it, but my vote for best sci-fi film of recent years would likely go to District 9. Not a perfect film, but way, way, way better than Prometheus.
11:48pm 25/10/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21662 posts
The Director's Cut of Alien 3 is quite good if you haven't seen it.
08:56am 26/10/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16077 posts
Let's not get carried away. Alien 3 is worse than Resurrection.

i can agree with rev on something!
09:18am 26/10/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5354 posts
There was basically no plot, hence fewer plot holes
hehe, true

Also yeah what fpot said - I don't have as much loathing for Alien 3 after rewatching it.
The worst complaint I have with Alien 3 is that it takes the ending of Aliens and s**** all over it. Other than that it wasn't great but wasn't too bad.
09:38am 26/10/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20065 posts
Alien Resurrection gets bonus points for having Ron Perlman
11:37am 26/10/12 Permalink
I3ighead
Brisbane, Queensland
6 posts
I want to see that movie
12:13pm 01/11/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2183 posts
not sure if this has been posted yet.. but:

03:36am 05/11/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36566 posts
I got a minute into that video before giving up at: "people only don't like Lindelhof because they don't like Lost, which is one of the best TV shows ever made". It cannot be an "actual explanation" video if it's based on subjectivity; I can't be f***ed hearing another Lost fanboy who likes being confused as an alternative to having a movie with a script that is logically consistent and a world in which the characters are remotely realistic.

My brother (for some stupid reason) bought Prometheus on Blu ray and I watched a few minutes of the commentary/notes before giving up. Basically they had one writer do a whole bunch of the stuff, then because this guy had never had a movie done before they brought in Lindelhof to do rewrites. The whole time Ridley Scott is in the background changing s*** on whatever whim strikes him (basically exactly how I imagine Lucas does stuff). No wonder it feels like a movie written by committee.
10:44am 05/11/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2185 posts
yeah that may be true but he does answer alot about the movie and even thought i didnt think it was anything great, after watching that video it all makes so much more sense. Although the biggest problem was the casting, that was a pretty big deal breaker right there.

ps. lost wasnt too bad imo but i only saw the first, second and last season and it worked well for me

last edited by Rdizz at 12:11:15 05/Nov/12
12:09pm 05/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:09pm 05/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.