Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Spotify starting in Australia tomorrow
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1189 posts
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/digital/spotify-launches-with-big-name-backers/story-fna03wxu-1226361612839

So who's going to sign up?

edit by trog:

Here's the official Spotify website: http://www.spotify.com/int/

Their about page is useless so here's what Wikipedia says:

Spotify is a Swedish music streaming service offering digitally restricted streaming of selected music from a range of major and independent record labels, including Sony, EMI, Warner Music Group, and Universal.
A six month free trial period is activated upon initial login with a Facebook account, where a user can listen to an unlimited amount of music supported by visual and radio-style advertising. After the trial, Spotify will have a listening limit of ten hours per month.[14] An "Unlimited" subscription removes advertisements and time limits and a "Premium" subscription introduces extra features such as higher bitrate streaming, offline access to music and mobile app access.[15] An active Facebook account is required to use Spotify, unless the user registered for a Spotify-only account before 22 September 2011. Subscriptions are restricted to people with credit/debit cards or PayPal accounts registered in certain countries.[16][17]
09:42am 21/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:42am 21/05/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12945 posts
can anyone explain why exactly would anyone would want this when most of us can store a few gigs of music on our phones already?
10:25am 21/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1190 posts
Cause this is the legal way to do it......
10:26am 21/05/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12947 posts
its illegal to store music on my phone?
10:36am 21/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1191 posts
its illegal to store music on my phone?

Assuming you obtained every song in your collection by legal means then no its not.
10:55am 21/05/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1621 posts
I haven't used spotify, but Grooveshark does pretty much the same thing for free too..
11:43am 21/05/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
898 posts
support grooveshark, its been supporting Australia for years more than any other music streaming website.
11:54am 21/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4896 posts
grooveshark is awesome. that is all!
12:31pm 21/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15159 posts
isn't grooveshark being sued?
12:35pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12732 posts
I read it as Spootify. O well.
01:00pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Rhys84au
Brisbane, Queensland
22 posts
grooveshark is the bees knees.

i googled it after hearing a random throwaway comment on a podcast once about 2 years back... been using it since. great.
05:05pm 21/05/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3059 posts
grooveshark is the bees knees

+ 1......what does spotify offer that is different to GS?
05:12pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2279 posts
this apposed to youtube?
05:25pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19937 posts
so for 20 minutes a day I can listen to any song I want on this poxy music station or for 9.5 hours a day (using my own working hours) I can listen to whatever music I want on my ipod.

Yep, I sure as hell know which option I'll be choosing.

this apposed to youtube?

I dare say youtube would use a s***load more data so at least you could possibly use spotify (what a stupid name) while on a 3g data plan. Watch 20 minutes of youtube videos on your phone every day for a month and see what your data usage is and report back.
06:03pm 21/05/12 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5251 posts

I've been using spotify for the past month or so. It's like iTunes music store, but free (with a few ads in the mix). It's a pretty good service if you are at your desk most of the day. It has some pretty cool social features and some clever apps for new tunes. I would recommend.
08:23am 22/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36217 posts
I too would like to know the difference between Spotify and Grooveshark. I only discovered Grooveshark relatively recently but now it does all my non-TripleJ music streaming. Does Spotify let you pay to download songs and listen to them offline?
09:10am 22/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4899 posts
grooveshark is actually illegal and getting there arse sued. They dont have any agreements with the record companies as users upload the songs to them.
09:26am 22/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36219 posts
grooveshark is actually illegal and getting there arse sued. They dont have any agreements with the record companies as users upload the songs to them.
werrlll, I've read they are getting sued, but it's not clear that it's illegal. They certainly don't think so (which of course doesn't matter because it's what the lawyers think) - from TF:
“Google hasn’t specified what it was in their ‘Terms of Service’ that we allegedly violated, but there does appear to be some confusion about whether Grooveshark is a legal service,” Geller first told Digital Music News.

“So let’s set the record straight: there is nothing illegal about what Grooveshark offers to consumers.”

Geller goes on to clarify the difference between a ‘legal’ service and one that is ‘licensed’.

“Laws come from Congress. Licenses come from businesses,” he explains. “Grooveshark is completely legal because we comply with the laws passed by Congress, but we are not licensed by every label (yet).”

According to Geller, Grooveshark is a technology company, and one which operates firmly within the boundaries of the DMCA.
It sounds like they are a "put music on first, license it second" sort of operator, and they're relying on the DMCA to stop them getting really sued (because rights holders just need to submit a takedown notice). It is worth pointing out that this is basically how YouTube survived not being destroyed in its first few years.

I assume that they count music plays and they pay out to the rights holders that are representing them. If you're a rights holder and you're not represented, I'd like to think that they're putting some money away for when you do sign up so that you can be compensated for past plays.

Grooveshark is exactly the sort of company that SHOULD exist if the record industry would catch up to the times.

edit: if time permits later I will try to get in touch w/ GS and find out if they do compensate artists AFTER they've signed up for previous plays because that is I think an interesting question
09:37am 22/05/12 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5252 posts
Trog: they have two payment options with spotify, an unlimted and premium. Basically unlimited is the same as free spotify but with no ads. Premium has 'offline access' that cache's your playlists and a mobile app. There is no limit to playlists but obviously you can't get new tunes or listen to the custom radio thing offline.

I am actually thinking of paying for music now, the service is so good.
09:38am 22/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36220 posts
Trog: they have two payment options with spotify, an unlimted and premium. Basically unlimited is the same as free spotify but with no ads. Premium has 'offline access' that cache's your playlists and a mobile app. There is no limit to playlists but obviously you can't get new tunes or listen to the custom radio thing offline.

I am actually thinking of paying for music now, the service is so good.
ah ok, that sounds pretty neat then. Is there a limit to how big the cache is?
09:42am 22/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4901 posts
Yeah i am actually looking at this for my dad. As he doesnt really know how to use itunes and doesnt want to pay per song. This does look awesome for him. The only problem is you need Facebook account :(
09:42am 22/05/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4030 posts
sounds good but needing a facebook account is a deal breaker

why can't they have it without that
09:57am 22/05/12 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5253 posts
Pretty sure you can use as much as you like trog. It has a 'Automatic' setting: Use no more than 10% of free disk space and a 'Use at most' setting where you can set how many GBs you want.
10:09am 22/05/12 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
434 posts
Not only do you need to have a facebook account, It seems your need to be on "timeline" and joining spotify will convert your page.

No thanks, I'll stick with grooveshark for now.
10:25am 22/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1192 posts
Listening to Spotify now...... I'm not a downloader of music and more of a net radio listener, I may even consider paying for this service. Now if we had a TV streaming service like this I'd definitely pay for it.
10:35am 22/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1193 posts
Just playing around with Spotify, it has apps in its interface. Just put on the JJJ app, it lets you just play the hottest 100s since 1993.....very cool. Definitely gonna sign up once my month free trial ends :)
10:50am 22/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4903 posts
Why is this link so closely to Facebook? Is facebook going to to buy them?
11:38am 22/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6909 posts
Never used Spotify before, so grabbed the iOS client this morning. It's massively broken and simply freezes after the first song.

IMO, Spotify if kinda useless if it can't cache songs for offline play and access your existing iTunes library stored on your iPhone.
11:47am 22/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1197 posts
I have all the songs on my SGS2 showing up in the PC client and on the Android App, and its syncing all the songs I choose for offline play, just synced last years hotest 100 no problems at all. Itunes is far less intuitive than this app.
12:06pm 22/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6910 posts
I meant the existing songs I have on my iPhone. I have about 25GB of music on there currently, and Spotify (on the phone) can't see any of it. Actually, neither can the desktop client, it can only see what's in iTunes on my desktop.
12:28pm 22/05/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1198 posts
Yeah I have about 12Gb of music on my phones, it shows up in the desktop client and in the app.
12:29pm 22/05/12 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7737 posts
Aww yeah apparently I subscribed ages ago, good on me
01:09pm 22/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4905 posts
Raven if you go preferences you can choose a folder where it will looks files in :)
02:31pm 22/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19945 posts
Why is this link so closely to Facebook? Is facebook going to to buy them?

so if you distribute the songs you hear by recording them using a stream ripper, they can track your ass down and rape you for all your hard earned loots.
05:51pm 22/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4912 posts
Well i love it and now purchased premium love it how i can go to shazam and look at what my mates have tagged and click the search in spotify function :)
10:54am 25/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6930 posts
Seems to be an awful lot of music they don't have in the library. For example, I just searched for Weird Al's "Alternative Polka" and got nothing :(
04:52pm 25/05/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
907 posts
04:58pm 25/05/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1626 posts
Interface is really quite cool, I like the JJJ plugin, but yeah, it's missing quite a bit of non mainstream stuff as you'd expect. Last few Thrice albums and some others at least.
07:56pm 25/05/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4915 posts
Im using iphone and ipad app and i can see all my playlist on my phone through itunes... and its not freeezing either. and this is working on my computer as well.
09:14pm 25/05/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8001 posts
Just gave it a go and do not like how tightly integrated with Facebook it is, I guess they are angling for Facebook to buy them out in the future. The automatic posting to time line is annoying but is easily disabled (in the FB app settings), a bit of music missing from it but I guess this will improve as it goes on.

I think the Spotify interface is damn awesome though, very nicely structured and easy to find and play music with the "Top 100" lists a nice addition.
08:54pm 26/05/12 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
850 posts
(in the FB app settings)

There is an option in spotify to stop it posting also. I am using this (actually bought a subscription as I listen to a heap of music) on my iPad, iPhone, PC, WDTV with no issues at all and all playlists etc are sync'd. I wish they did a film clip version.

Other thing I have been impressed with is the way it streams when you click on a song almost instantly and on the train where I have heaps of dead zones when browsing the net on my iPad this seems to be able to continue to stream which is winning.
08:46am 27/05/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20664 posts
Just installed it and it looks very much like itunes layout....

I'll take a closer look later
01:44pm 27/05/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8005 posts
Just loaded the JJJ app .. so awesome.
06:39pm 27/05/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1537 posts
I've been using Spotify for ages here in ze UK, it's awesome.

Also checked out Grooveshark a while back, but I find Spotify's application based interface to be better, plus you can share playlists and songs between friends, etc. A musically minded mate of mine regularly sends me new playlists to checkout.

I used the free for ages, and just put up with the ads, recently i got the Unlimited to cull the ads, it's cheap and worth it IMO. I can get and stream any music I want in a few clicks.

I use it mostly for music listening whilst working on my laptop or desktop in various locations, also I find it really useful for finding and keeping track of random odd songs I like.
08:24pm 27/05/12 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
123 posts
Is there any way of searching the list of songs they have BEFORE I install the software? I don't want to install it just to find out there's nothing I like on there.
12:09pm 28/05/12 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
124 posts
Thanks man.
12:27pm 28/05/12 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5336 posts
So I am pretty happy with this, but it's not working as I had hoped with the syncing. Was hoping you could sync tracks you've saved for offline play on your computer to your iPod or mobile phone, but it will only sync local files :(
12:32pm 28/05/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2114 posts
Great for around the house. I grabbed the spotify controller for android, so my phone works as a remote control.
And im finally back to legally obtaining music. First time since 1997
07:25pm 19/06/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4951 posts
Yeah same, if iTunes does the same thing I will probably move to iTunes though..
07:34pm 19/06/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20929 posts
lol no Beatles how s*** is it.
07:48pm 19/06/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2115 posts
^ I just linked it to my own hard copy of Beatles albums, burnt from brotatos cd collection.
07:52pm 19/06/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
734 posts
Just checking this out, a few days in and I'm loving it. I'd say I'll be grabbing a premium subscription. $12 is less than an album a month so not really that much. How many people still using it or alternatives? JJJ app indeed rocks!
01:30pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19710 posts
Yeah, I'm still using it, I got a premium subscription for the same reason. Turns out cheaper than what I would otherwise pay if I was buying music from itunes and I end up listening to a lot of different music I might not otherwise listen to just cos its there and I can.
01:55pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7269 posts
Getting a little annoyed with all the music Spotify *doesn't* have.
It's also generally about three to four weeks before many new chart releases get added to the Spotify library :(
02:01pm 08/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2184 posts
^ same.
02:06pm 08/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5040 posts
i do agree with this, just wish itunes had streaming service
03:16pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19713 posts
I haven't really found anything it doesn't have that I've wanted to listen to besides the Beatles, and yeah, I just use my local music folder for that. Haven't really had problems with the new stuff I've looked for either, the new Offspring album was there the day it came out, same as the new Temper Trap album. So yeah, I guess its not an issue thats really affecting the music I want to listen to, so I'm happy!

I thought the Chili peppers were missing at first, but thats just cos I was spelling it wrong.
03:29pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7271 posts
Some tracks I've just tried to find on Spotify that it doesn't have:
Def Leppard - Action (or anything by them really)
Green Day - Insomniac (album)
AC/DC - Thunderstruck. In fact, anything by AC/DC.
Almost everything by either Savage Garden or Darren Hayes.
Ola Svensson's "Natalie", which has been certified platinum and went to #1 on the Swedish charts (as did 7 of his other songs, none of them available on Spotify).
This, which was massive in South Africa and top four in the 2010 Eurovision by another duo:

It did, however, have this.
04:02pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
735 posts
Some tracks I've just tried to find on Spotify that it doesn't have:
Def Leppard - Action (or anything by them really)
Green Day - Insomniac (album)
AC/DC - Thunderstruck. In fact, anything by AC/DC.
Almost everything by either Savage Garden or Darren Hayes.
Ola Svensson's "Natalie", which has been certified platinum and went to #1 on the Swedish charts (as did 7 of his other songs, none of them available on Spotify).
This, which was massive in South Africa and top four in the 2010 Eurovision by another duo:

It did, however, have this.

Some artists just resist going digital. You can't get AC/DC on iTunes either.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57468120-71/def-leppard-covers-own-songs-to-get-digital-revenues/

After a long-running dispute with Universal Music, the English rock band takes advantage of a law that protects cover versions, by covering its own songs.

Some musicians refuse to come to terms with the terms that digital downloads offer.
A few, such as Garth Brooks and AC/DC, have refused to allow their music on iTunes.
Def Leppard, the English rock band that some people rather like and others fail to comprehend, is another that just isn't amused by the digital age.
Now the band has leaped on a new, radical strategy to get a better deal for its music: it's covering its own songs and releasing them themselves.
04:13pm 08/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2185 posts
Some frequently requested artists that are not in Spotify include Metallica, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.
I noticed Alanis Morrisette was absent other than her overplayed classics when searching for homeboss.
Its amusing that some albums are those 3 in 1 master packages and some artists hits are from various artists cd's such as 'bbq hits for dad'. They must charge less for royalties?!?!?!
04:19pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19716 posts
Yeah, but, it took aaaaaaaaaaages for the Beatles to come on iTunes as well, and Led Zeppelin are notoriously tight-assed with the rights to their stuff too. Metallica's views on digital distribution have been made pretty well known in the past also.

I've had a membership now for a couple of months, which is what, $20 or so, but I've listened to heeeeeeeeeeeeeaps more music than $20 would have got me if I was buying it from itunes. So it works for me
05:38pm 08/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2190 posts
$11.99 a month. cheap.
06:34pm 08/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5041 posts
plus remember you can still use it for free its just 128k and you cant use it on ya phone and got ads
07:55pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
740 posts
Triple J app seems dead last week or so I get "invalid manifest bundle". Can't uninstall it. :(
03:15pm 18/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:15pm 18/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.