Visceral's spin on the Battlefield series breaks the norm and introduces a story with depth. We take it for a ride!
Bringing a Story to Battlefield
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Once Upon A Time (TV Show)
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9612 posts

I've been watching this TV show called "Once Upon A Time"

It's really good.

The idea: All the characters from fairy tales are trapped in this little American town, and they don't know they are those characters. This was all done by the evil witch from Snow White, and she is now the Mayor of the town.

It is from the writers of Lost, so there are a lot of flashbacks to the fairy tale days, and you find out like one or two tidbits per episode and then it sucks you in to keep watching more.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/8/2012/04/-once-upon-a-time--e__12_.jpghttp://www.chevronone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/redtitle.jpghttp://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/tony-amendola-as-geppetto.jpghttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzsetwPWr01qhw4z1.pnghttp://thefullmoxie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1.6-Rumpelstiltskin.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_(TV_series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843230/

The story is driven by this little kid that looks like Dewey from the Malcolm in the middle, he seeks out his birth mom, who is destined to be the hero of the story that restores the characters to their fairy tale existence.

I know what you're thinking: Haven't we seen enough Snow White recently? That's what I thought, but the show is good enough to get past that and doesn't dwell so much on the stories we already know, only symbolically and thematically. Even the bits of the stories we see in flashbacks are a lot more like metaphors for modern life.

There is almost a whole season of this out.
11:04am 11/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:04am 11/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9075 posts
I saw the ads for this and based on those it looks f*****g s***!
11:16am 11/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5846 posts
I wonder if the writers will give up a few seasons in and just start writing s*** that doesn't make sense.
This one they can actually end by saying "Oh, it was all a Dream/Fairy Tale It doesn't need to make sense"
11:23am 11/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5931 posts
Looks strange, but has doctor rush... (and maybe teal'cs teacher dude?)... And the sixth sense twist moment in the car kind of worked for me, so, I'ma watch it. Ty.
11:25am 11/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36144 posts
Nice. I saw the ads and thought this looked really interested (plus it has lots of hotties). I like the concept but I assume it will be watered down pussy style to appeal to kids and not be an awesome hardcore show for adults.

Was interested in giving it a crack until you mentioned the part about Lost :( Will try to check it out at some point though.
11:26am 11/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6542 posts
Trailer didn't really entice me, might check out the first episode. Looks to over the place to really bother.
11:26am 11/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4797 posts
I've been watching this TV show called "Once Upon A Time"
It's really good.

Oh? Might check it out. :D

It is from the writers of Lost

Aww... Might not. :(
11:31am 11/05/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
670 posts
Been watching this since the start. Great show. It's unlike anything else on TV. Looking forward to the season finale next week.
11:33am 11/05/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6823 posts
i watched the first episode but was not impressed enough to dl the 2nd ep.
11:37am 11/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15103 posts

i watched the first episode but was not impressed enough to dl the 2nd ep.

grimm's another fairytale like show. it's a police procedural but with the bad guys usually being the monsters from the brothers grimm folk tales.
11:48am 11/05/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1912 posts
I, for some reason, very much want to do wicked things with the evil queen/mayor.
12:04pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
671 posts
I, for some reason, very much want to do wicked things with the evil queen/mayor.

She was also in an early season of 24. 2nd or 3rd I think. Very hot.

Also despite both Grimm and Once upon a time being based on the Grimm stories they are really nothing alike.
12:31pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1269 posts
Yep, have been watching this too. It's not quite at the same level as Suits or Game of Thrones, but it's definitely enjoyable and there are a good number of very attractive women in it ;)

Also, Lost Girl is worth giving a look too. If you're in doubt, 2 words for you: Bisexual Succubus.
12:44pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3184 posts
I watch it, it started off okay but has died down a little with what seemed like filler eps. Getting a bit better again now it's nearing the end of the season. My favourite character is probably Rumplestiltskin, his laugh always cracks me up.
02:32pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6072 posts
Been enjoying this and Grimm. Grimm has taken almost an entire season to get a story going though
04:04pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19012 posts
OMG it has Mr Sark in it, I'm sold.
04:07pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1519 posts

Bit of Lost mention so I'll just leave this here:

Can peeps recommend good sci-fi/supernatural shows? I'm interested in watching some good ones but was disappointed by how s*** some of them are.

04:15pm 11/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15106 posts
Can peeps recommend good sci-fi/supernatural shows? I'm interested in watching some good ones but was disappointed by how s*** some of them are.

fringe, supernatural, bsg
05:36pm 11/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36148 posts
I watch it, it started off okay but has died down a little with what seemed like filler eps.
Really? How unusual for Lost-esque stuff.... NOT!
I really really liked Falling Skies - earth invasion show. I actually thought it was cancelled after Season 1 but just checked and it's got a S2 which starts in June - awesome!

It is a little tame (i.e., not HBO stylez with lots of swearing and titties). Normally it's the sort of thing I probably would avoid but it actually kept my attention - good cast, pretty good story, decent enough SFX.
05:39pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1520 posts

I'd seen trailers for that new Grim show, worth checking out?

Yeah I've seen season 1 of Falling Skies, thanks Trog. Thought it had great promise but was a bit disappointed by the standard tameness - same thing with Terra Nova really. I actually don't mind the lack of boobs (I think HBO goes overboard a bit there), found the stories detail was a bit weak. The ending of Falling Skies pissed me off.

I'll check out Fringe, Supernatural and BSG.

FYI - Ultraviolet is a very cool old-school sci-fi from the early 90's (Has Idris Elba in it), worth checking out.

09:57pm 11/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9617 posts
Yeah I'm pretty excited about Dr Rush, Bra'tac, and Sark being in it. Robert Carlyle has a pretty major part in the story, but Tony Amendola and David Anders are just recurring roles... as usual :/ I'm actually not a big fan of Carlyle, I think he let his role as Rush in Stargate slide due to his outrageously incoherent accent, but he's making an effort to have english skills in this one. He plays the role of Rumpelstiltskin so well, it's quite a delight to watch.

last edited by thermite at 22:19:30 11/May/12
10:16pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1915 posts
I'd seen trailers for that new Grim show, worth checking out?

It's a bit of a chore, but probably worth sticking out to the later episodes. I think the show would improve from not being quite so 'crime procedural' and perhaps go more in the direction of Millennium, or Angel (which some of the showrunners were also involved with).

Meanwhile, back to OUaT - things are set up excellently for a ripping finale. Sadly, it also means the last opportunity to perve on Lana until September. :(
01:31am 12/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5935 posts
Hrm, started the first episode, and the corniness factor is high. Though did see in the opening credits that the voice actor for Carth Onasi from KotOR / Kaidan in ME was in it, so there's even more reason to watch it... CGI is surprisingly high quality though.

edit: And yes, the queen as the mayor is ridiculously good looking. I would so fire some neurons in response to the visual stimuli of her physical form.

edit edit: seriously, it's like looking into the face of god.
http://wallpaperstag.net/wallpapers/evil_queen_regina_mills-1440x1080.jpg
03:22am 12/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5938 posts
This is actually pretty good, first episode was just a bit weak. The unmentioned 'twist' is making it hella interesting. ;)
07:36am 13/05/12 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
2070 posts
she's average at best
09:15am 13/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15117 posts
I'll check out Fringe, Supernatural and BSG.

you might want to check out the vampire diaries as well.
09:52am 13/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5939 posts
Yeahh, it only really works when she's the mayor, in those... mayor clothes... with that mayor hair.

I think that they just apply heavy CGI to every single shot of her in this show.
10:32am 13/05/12 Permalink
DeathSyndrome
Brisbane, Queensland
840 posts
pretty good show but I swear less and less actually happens every episode
12:39pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2023 posts
threads should have a special icon if they included bat material. I didn't look at this thread till now and its made me happy (in my pants)

+1craig ferguson
07:25pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5945 posts
This show really does a poor job of not objectifying Red Riding Hood in every single camera angle that she's in, and I'm glad.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lud5u0ZRFO1r1pg53o1_500.png
04:27pm 14/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5960 posts
The girl who plays Snow White has mad alternating acting skills, for the longest time I kept subconsciously thinking of them as two completely different actors...
12:53pm 19/05/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8848 posts
Its too corny.
Is it PG ?

Kind of watched a bit of it earlier in the week then a biot last night, nah its really well made but the story is too 'out there.'
03:10pm 19/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5964 posts
It picks up pretty quickly, is actually an unexpectedly tight story. Also cleavage, they are big on fairies with cleavage.
06:42pm 20/05/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6723 posts
haha the story is too out there for faceman
this show must be seriously f***ed up
06:47pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20478 posts
Hmm, I'm gonna have to check this show out. I like good looking women and good tv shows so this should work out quite well.
06:50pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19932 posts
There's "out there" and then there's "out there".

Also cleavage, they are big on fairies with cleavage.

Blue fairy = Keegan Connor Tracy = the lady doctor from Jake 2.0. Man how I wished I was jake, she could examine me any day.
06:54pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19933 posts
I like good looking women and good tv chick shows so this should work out quite well.

Fixed, however there's no mandy so you might as well turn away now rev :)
06:56pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20479 posts
Maybe I could examine you, Whoop.

/wink
06:57pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19934 posts
The black mini will be a tight fit after all these years but if you supply the duct tape...
07:01pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5965 posts
Blue fairy = Keegan Connor Tracy

I had googled this after my previous comment, just to investigate the actress' range of abilities. :P I can't put my finger on it, but there's something that I really like about the way that she plays the character.

http://www.tvgasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Onceuponatime20120429v1.jpg

Also this show has some amazing cgi. It's not always perfect, but is plentiful - puts thrones to some shame. The backplot is really well done too, so many interconnecting layers.
07:39pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6667 posts
Woo, hot mayor queen is back, with the added bonus of Mulan.
01:12pm 27/10/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20077 posts
Also this show has some amazing cgi. It's not always perfect, but is plentiful - puts thrones to some shame.

I think you're full of s***. You probably don't realise how much CGI there actually is in Game of Thrones, because it doesn't look like CGI.
04:36pm 27/10/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10361 posts
Yeah I'm a big fan of Once Upon a Time and hate Game of Thrones, but even I will admit that Game Of Thrones has amazing vfx, and Once Upon a Time is almost begrudgingly adding cheap effects to get it all over with.
05:03pm 27/10/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6670 posts
I think you're full of s***. You probably don't realise how much CGI there actually is in Game of Thrones, because it doesn't look like CGI.

This was pre-Game-of-Thrones-suddenly-got-awesome. Although season 2 once upon a time CGI has been s***. :/

Yeah I'm a big fan of Once Upon a Time and hate Game of Thrones, but even I will admit that Game Of Thrones has amazing vfx, and Once Upon a Time is almost begrudgingly adding cheap effects to get it all over with.

I love both :D, though the point was that once upon a time is never reluctant to use it, and is far more involved than just background renders (though dragons and whatnot somewhat upgraded the ante in game of thrones since). Full castle zooms with rendered terrain etc in Once Upon a Time, versus a few static background shots in GoT.
05:09pm 27/10/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10362 posts
I find that mistakes in matching live action with renders in Once Upon A Time is often jarring. The full zooms across landscapes into castle windows is one of the main culprits. It makes you think of exactly how they shot it and did the effect. In Game of Thrones the only thing jarring is the F***ED UP STORY.
05:18pm 27/10/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10441 posts
Just reporting in to say I've really been enjoying this show! The last season ended strongly, and there were a weird couple episodes that opened this season, but now it's really hit it's stride.

I'm very much enjoying the new character Captain Hook who is stuck in another world with our two hero characters, as well as the villainous mother of the show's antagonist. Hook seeks to get to America so he can exact revenge on Rumplestiltskin; the "crocodile" that took his hand.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nsFcI8SJCKg/UITe3jWFXmI/AAAAAAAAFJg/qkPCAXrh-VM/s1600/Colin O%27Donoghue as Captain Hook on Once Upon A Time S02E04 Crocodile 9.png

Also the Jack And The Beanstalk aftermath stuff was pretty cool, with the giant being played by Jorge Garcia (Hurley!)

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/jorge-garcia-once-upon-a-time-abc.jpg

Another great episode was the story of Sark's character, which turned out to be Dr Frankenstein. His "It's not magic; it's science!" approach is very cool.

http://onceuponatime.sqpn.com/files/2012/11/drfrankenstein.png

I am not particularly impressed with the addition of Disney Princesses Mulan and Aurora, their characters are underwhelming, but they are probably emerging characters for now. No doubt there will be a forthcoming flashback to the story of Aurora and Maleficent which will kick some ass since Maleficent is an absolute monster.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m41s2cuitn1qa4rwyo2_500.jpg

Hopefully next season they'll just climb a beanstalk to the Star Wars universe.
04:32pm 09/11/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6783 posts
Yeah I'm enjoying it, for all its silliness. Took me ages to place where I recognised Aurora from, turns out that she did the voice for Eleanor in Bioshock 2 which I finished recently, and somehow her face and expressions match to her voice in some weird subtle 'things that humans do' way.
04:57pm 09/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:57pm 09/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.