We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
The Avengers
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18904 posts
So I just saw this, and wow, it was everything I was expecting it to be and more. Its not often a movie manages to not only live up to its hype, but actually surpass it, but in this case it did for me. I was worried before seeing it about how they would give each character their own awesome moments without any one character overshadowing another, because I mean these are characters that have carried their own movies by themselves, so it could have been a potential disaster having them all share screen time. But Joss Whedon absolutely hit it out of the park, every character has their moments to shine, even the non-superpowered ones like Hawkeye and Black Widow, and even that shield agent Coulson who's shown up in all the other movies.

And theres SO much in this movie, it only goes for 2 hours but theres just an insane amount of stuff going on, and yet it never feels like its forced or overcrowded like Iron Man 2 felt. I dunno how he did it, but Joss Whedon managed to strike the perfect balance and the whole thing just works. I guess how much you go nuts for it might also depend on how much you like superhero movies or the characters in the movie, but for me, it was hands down one of the best action movies I've seen for ages.

Also, the Hulk is fan-f*****g-tastic. For the first time they actually have a Hulk movie which doesn't suck balls!
06:30pm 25/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:30pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18905 posts
Oh, and there was a Dark Knight trailer before the movie, but it was the old trailer that has already come out, so yeah :(

Also, to save people time, don't bother staying till the very end of the credits, theres no extra scene. Theres an extra scene abouut halfway through the credits, and then its safe to leave after that (pretty sweet scene though, and a great tease for what I assume the inevitable sequel will be about)
06:31pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1721 posts
Joss Whedon... is that the dude behind the Buffy series with Sarah Michelle Gellar? cool.
06:34pm 25/04/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2607 posts
Good tip about only needing to stay till halfway through credits!
06:35pm 25/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14989 posts
almost every review i've read the last couple days have said it's the best superhero movie to date.

i look forward to seeing it.
06:45pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18907 posts
I think its the first time they've had someone writing and directing it who is actually a comic book writer and knows the characters really well, so that might have something to do with it. But yeah, I'd say easily the best superhero movie to date
06:48pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
596 posts
Went up to the Hyperdome to see this with the missus, they have it playing in 5 different cinemas, a mix of 2D and 3D all at mixed times. All were sold out except the 9:30 session and the line to get in was out the door and around the corner. So I miss out this round, maybe over the next couple days I might get in a session.
06:50pm 25/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14990 posts
khel, did you see 2D or 3D?
06:51pm 25/04/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5994 posts
Going tomorrow, I hate whedon so my expectations are low, which is a good thing I guess so it can only go up from there
06:53pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18908 posts
I saw 2D, I dunno if the 3D would add much to it really, I'm not sure if it was actually filmed in 3D ( I don't *think* it was), but there weren't any obvious things-flying-at-the-screen 3D gimmicks. I'm sure I'll likely end up seeing it again because my brother hasn't seen it yet, so maybe I'll see it in 3D then and compare.
06:58pm 25/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14991 posts
I'm not sure if it was actually filmed in 3D ( I don't *think* it was)

it was converted.
07:01pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6046 posts
going to sunnybank at 8:15 tonight in 2D screw 3D. 3D is pissing me off bigtime due to it ruining everything.
07:02pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18909 posts
If you didn't have to wear the glasses, I wouldn't dislike 3D as much, but its like watching a movie through sunglasses. Everything looks duller and muted and I find it messes with the colours (could be a combination of the 3D, the glasses, and my f***ed up eyes).

Apparently cinemas are meant to run 3D movies with the projector bulbs up brighter to compensate for the fact you're essentially watching it through polarised sunglasses, but a lot of them don't cos it wears their bulbs out faster and costs them more.
07:05pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
171 posts
What Khel wrote is spot on, definitely met expectations and then some. Great movie!
07:10pm 25/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2654 posts
are not the modern 3D glasses polarized even tho it is 24fps only 12fps hit each eye (so half the light)

I heard peter jackson is shoot hobbit at 48fps to sharpen it up, and make the whole shebang bright
07:22pm 25/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14992 posts

are not the modern 3D glasses polarized even tho it is 24fps only 12fps hit each eye (so half the light)

I heard peter jackson is shoot hobbit at 48fps to sharpen it up, and make the whole shebang bright

yeah however he showed some footage recently to some people in the media and apparently they weren't that impressed with the 48fps. they thought it looked like those soapie tv shows. :(
07:26pm 25/04/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5891 posts
Read a review that said the movie was ok but that the Loki villain character wasn't that great.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/cinetology/2012/04/23/the-avengers-movie-review-all-star-superhero-shenanigans/
08:08pm 25/04/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2033 posts
mate just got back from seeing it. reckons its all about the hulk. he cant stop raving about it.
09:00pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18913 posts
Hrmm, I don't really agree with that review, sure the "big payoff" with the big final fight where they're trying to save the earth isn't till the end, but for me there was payoffs all the way through, its like action scene after action scene after action scene. The whole sequence on the Helicarrier for example was just awesome.

And yeah, they didn't do a lot to build Loki's character in the movie, but thats because there was a whole movie (Thor) previously that spent a couple of hours building his character. Thats one of the benefits of this film, usually in the first film of a superhero franchise its an origin story where like three quarters of the movie is building up the character and it doesn't really all come together till the end. But all the origin stories for all the characters in this movie have already been told, so it just hits the ground running and wastes no time.

Like I said though, I guess it also depends on how much you like superhero/comic book films. The opening sentence of that review gives me the impression that the reviewer doesn't enjoy them at all, and even looks down on other people who do, so thats going to colour his impressions of the film. He seems more interested in fancy camera wankery than how awesomely badass the Hulk was! Thats just not right.
09:02pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2750 posts
I just got back from seeing it. I'm going to throw my two cents in by saying it was awesome. Well worth going to see it.

It had the usual awesome one-liners you would expect from Joss Whedon. Action, funny when it needed to be, exciting! Go see it.
09:26pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3755 posts
Glad you guys enjoyed it which means there is a high likelyhood that I will too.
10:08pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Rohan
Sydney, New South Wales
150 posts
I went for the midnight launch last night. Was a f*****g good movie if you're into the whole superhero thing. and yeah, the hulk was awesome!
11:53pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19786 posts
Went up to the Hyperdome to see this with the missus, they have it playing in 5 different cinemas, a mix of 2D and 3D all at mixed times. All were sold out except the 9:30 session and the line to get in was out the door and around the corner. So I miss out this round, maybe over the next couple days I might get in a session.

Holy s***, thanks for the tip. I guess I might wait for the excitement to die down before I go see it then. Like the lord of the rings movie when it came out, the line was out the door and along by the side of the cinema entrance and around the corner.
11:59pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18917 posts
Yeah, the line was pretty crazy at Garden City too. The line for tickets pretty much filled the downstairs area, then made its way up the stairs and snaked around the upstairs area for a bit too. Then the rest of the upstairs area was filled by the line for the candy bar.

I saw it in gold class and I'm glad I did, it was expensive and I did have a little bit of buyer's remorse over the price, but it was so worth it when I got there and was able to just walk straight past everyone lining up, and then not be in a crowded cinema full of f***wits. The guy sitting next to me f*****g inhaled one of those huge sundaes though, you know the bigass ones that come out in like a fishbowl sized glass and are meant for two people? He just inhaled that s***, I didn't think it was possible to eat so much sundae so fast.
12:56am 26/04/12 Permalink
Nakor
Brisbane, Queensland
3160 posts

Holy s***, thanks for the tip. I guess I might wait for the excitement to die down before I go see it then. Like the lord of the rings movie when it came out, the line was out the door and along by the side of the cinema entrance and around the corner.

Can't you buy tickets online at all cinema's now? And I thought all Event cinema's were allocated seating now too...

Anyway, I endorse all above posts - this movie was great, definitely worth seeing. If you can put up with the glasses (Dendy have this awesome LCD ones that were really comfortable) then 3D actually enhanced the experience - but it's certainly not required to enjoy the movie (as it was with Avatar)
01:00am 26/04/12 Permalink
Ghost_47
Melbourne, Victoria
21 posts
This movie was f*****g awesome. Do yourself a favour and watch it.
01:41am 26/04/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6047 posts
It started off slow then felt rushed at the end but I found it enjoyable. All the one liners were great.

Looking forward to Avengers 2. :D
07:44am 26/04/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3232 posts
I loved it. They nailed the persona of the hulk perfectly. I'm not a comic book reader but I enjoy the characters and know enough about them having seen all of the movies leading up.

This was more than I expected and the final half an hour of the film is absolutely awesome. For once I wasn't dissapointed by an over-use of special effects. It was just put together so well with some comical moments that didn't seem overly cheesy like they normally do.

A+
07:54am 26/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14993 posts
The guy sitting next to me f*****g inhaled one of those huge sundaes though, you know the bigass ones that come out in like a fishbowl sized glass and are meant for two people? He just inhaled that s***, I didn't think it was possible to eat so much sundae so fast.

haha i've had one of those before. took about 20 mins to get through it.
09:01am 26/04/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6049 posts
Going to do spoiler tags in here or not?
09:19am 26/04/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2446 posts
Saw it last night and enjoyed it.

It was comical to see in gold class two people choose the wrong cinema & time, what muppets.
09:23am 26/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18923 posts
Going to do spoiler tags in here or not?

Well nobody has really said anything spoilerish so far. But if you were to say something spoilerish, like

Spoiler:
Thanos is the big bad guy behind the invasion

then it would be a good idea to use spoiler tags :P
11:32am 26/04/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20366 posts
I saw it in gold class and I'm glad I did, it was expensive and I did have a little bit of buyer's remorse over the price, but it was so worth it when I got there and was able to just walk straight past everyone lining up, and then not be in a crowded cinema full of f***wits

I think I'll be doing the same Khel. I can't stand sitting in crowded cinemas. And there's a higher chance some moron is gonna be talking thru out the whole thing. Plus the movie goes for quite a long time so those couch chair thingies will be a godsend.
12:09pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
256 posts
My mate went to a midnight screening and he was telling me a bunch of d*******s were standing up and applauding s*** DURING the movie. Lulz. Is this normal behaviour?
12:48pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1895 posts

Just saw the movie in gold class at Harbour town ( gold coast) movie was great had a JD and some popcorn, good special effect and good plot 8/10 from me.
12:55pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1176 posts
Yep I went and saw this in GC at Garden City yesterday with the GF. Was so worth the money. Best superhero flick yet, we better than I had hoped and expected, and I did have high expectations.
02:18pm 26/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5431 posts
I love gold class, if i'm going to be paying full price for a movie (as in a release movie) i want it to be something i support and then i want to infuse it with as good a time as i can. I watched all the pirate movies in gold class and considering the last one left a bit of a bitter taste i haven't really seen another movie since. I purchased Iron Man on DVD without having seen it, and then wished i saw it in gold class.

I saw the preview for the averngers movie when i watched that american pie reunion trash and i actually got a little excited.

So i'm taking khels positive words as advice to go watch it in full 2d glory.
02:30pm 26/04/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12886 posts
03:25pm 26/04/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4525 posts
I just came back from watching it and also thought it began slow but the really took off. The small bits of comedy thrown between the characters Spoiler:
especially the part toward the end with hulk and loki, f*****g lol
was just right and helped break up the seriousness of it all. Last couple of seconds half way through the credits really made me eager to see #2.

Only they made a point to set up all the heroes movies before this one came out. My question is where the f*** is the Hawkeye flick? He was bad arse in this one but no story for him other than he works for shield and used to be an assassin. Oh and Ruffulo (or however you spell it) was great as banner.
04:41pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18930 posts
Hawkeye has a cameo in Thor's movie, but thats about it. Apparently though theres a rumoured Shield movie in the works which is going to be all Nick Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye.
04:50pm 26/04/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4526 posts
Well I don't really care for Fury or Widow but hawkeye was cool man shame he didn't warrent his own movie. Least we know who villain #2 is!
04:55pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9756 posts
Awesome movie. Saw it in 3D at Hawthorne and I was impressed. It's almost 3 hours but it felt like 10 mins! The hulk was by far the best!! F*** me he was awesome!! So keen for #2!! Will see again!
05:11pm 26/04/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5996 posts
Saw it today, as hard as it is for me to say it, Joss Whedon finally made something decent. Lots of fun, action, humour all throughout. It hit the tone just right for a popcorn comic book movie, a different beast completely to the batman films but not to it's detriment.

Spoiler:
The captain american stuff felt forced, they were trying really hard to make him likable but it feel flat for me. Black Widow\Hawkeye scenes felt like they were trying hard to find something for those 2 to do. Hulk and Iron Man were the standouts though. With hulk stealing mosts scenes he's in.
07:17pm 26/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15007 posts
it made $6 million yesterday. the second best opening in australia after harry potter 7 part 2.
09:39pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12581 posts
I saw it today. I really like how they made the Hulk in this one. The way he just runs through steel like it was mist was awesome.

Ironman delivered as promised, Thor was meh I could really care less for him. The movie Thor really seemed like he was above/better then Humans but trying to hide it. Is that on purpose?

I liked Loki, except for his stupid helmat.

Comedy parts where lol.

A+ would watch again.

11:40pm 26/04/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5997 posts
Couldn't care less
11:56pm 26/04/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4529 posts
I loved how they spent something like 1/2 the movie hyping how strong the hulk was, and everyone being afraid of him and then when he finally changed and especially in the last fight scenes it was like, oh s***... he's a f*****g monster.
11:57pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12582 posts
No, I care less for him then the rest ;P
12:37am 27/04/12 Permalink
Fuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
221 posts
Been trying to see this for the past few nights, every session is booked out.

On a slightly different note, what do people think about Battleship? Been hearing alot of mixed reviews about it, but it's another movie I wouldn't mind seeing.
03:01am 27/04/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1489 posts

Just saw this, was f*****g ace! A+ would watch again, so good.

Definitely the best Marvel film I've seen to date. Hope they don't f*** the sequel like Iron Man 2.

Man if I lived in Aus I'd go gold class every time I went to the cinema, it's wicked.

Spoiler:
Who is the big bad dude in the credits preview?

08:59am 27/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12585 posts
Spoiler:

Thanos

10:19am 27/04/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4531 posts
Spoiler:
Last guy in the credits was Thanos
10:21am 27/04/12 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5998 posts
10:29am 27/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12586 posts
Lol, WetWired, you, is, a, grammar, nazi, of, course, it, should, have, been, couldn't, care, less, it, was, a, typo, and, I, way, past, edit, time?
10:47am 27/04/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1490 posts
Was also nice to see old Robin from HIMYM in a decent film role! She's smoking hot, ironically her name is Cobie Smulders.

More spoiler talk:

Spoiler:
I'm not up on comic book history, is Thanos a pretty serious baddie or what?
07:54pm 27/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15021 posts
viper119

Spoiler:
thanos is practically a god like thor. super intelligent and very physically powerful. he also has very advanced technology that allows him to travel through time and to alternate universes. i'm guessing he will either be after the cosmic cube or the infinity gauntlet in the sequel. i haven't seen avengers yet so not sure if they appear in the movie.

last edited by ravn0s at 21:25:49 27/Apr/12
09:23pm 27/04/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3592 posts
how to do spoiler tags??
11:14pm 27/04/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20378 posts
< spoiler > and < /spoiler >

Front and end of what you want. Don't put spaces after the bracket thingys though.
11:21pm 27/04/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3593 posts
thanks.

ok explain this:

Spoiler:
what's up with the hulk being some uncontrollable beast at start of movie even trying to kill scarlett but shortly after he's like all best mates with the other avengers

12:15am 28/04/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18944 posts
The cube is in avengers, its pretty central to things, and thats not really a spoiler cos the cube was at the end of Thor anyway and was in the Captain America movie. Also the gauntlet is apparently in odins treasure vault in Thor too
12:16am 28/04/12 Permalink
Ha
Brisbane, Queensland
221 posts
film owns can't wait for the sequel. unless it's an iron man 2 style sequel in which case i hope it never gets made and the guy responsible for it dies from ass cancer.
12:23am 28/04/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1493 posts
What does 'I've got red in my letcher' mean? Black Widow says it a couple of times. I'm probably spelling 'letcher' wrong which is why Google isn't helping.

Valid point on the hulk.

02:05am 28/04/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6043 posts
Oh yeah saw it Wednesday it is swearword awesome. so good.
Spoiler:
hulk was poisoned/mind controled by Lokis weapon same as what happened to arrow guy. Black widow was talking about her ledger(life ledger as in a pretend book which has all the good stuff and bad stuff she's done. Saying it is red means shes done more bad than good.
03:03am 28/04/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2036 posts
looking forward to the groganus' review.
08:16am 28/04/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4432 posts
Spoiler:
hulk was poisoned/mind controled by Lokis weapon same as what happened to arrow guy. Black widow was talking about her ledger(life ledger as in a pretend book which has all the good stuff and bad stuff she's done. Saying it is red means shes done more bad than good.

How? When did he get touched? I'm thinking maybe when he picked the staff up but I can't really see that being the case.
08:35am 28/04/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9758 posts
What does 'I've got red in my letcher' mean? Black Widow says it a couple of times. I'm probably spelling 'letcher' wrong which is why Google isn't helping.

Valid point on the hulk.

When you have red in your ledger, it means you owe something somewhere. You want to be in the black. So when she says she has red on her ledger, you need to balance that out on both sides to be equal ( accounting 101) , so she wants to cancel her bad actions with good deeds.
08:48am 28/04/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6044 posts
Spoiler:
remember the scene with loki and blackwidow where she finds out he is targeting the hulk? It has something to do with the weapon as they all get really angry remember
09:20am 28/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12591 posts
Spoiler:

Noobs, The staff was giving off an aura of hatred. It was causing all the people around it to get ang0r at each other. With a little push from Loki they where all argueing. The idea was that eventually Hulk would loose his s*** from the hatred and go rampage on the boatplane. Meanwhile the team would have a rift in them and be ineffective and hopefully fighting each other.

09:47am 28/04/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7089 posts
Watched it last night. I think i'm the only one who slept through the first half of the movie, but that's prolly because im getting old and was really really tired and the 3D was hurting my eyes. Movie's pace picked up and woke me right up. Hulk and Iron man made it. Thor was meh and Captain America was poo but that's not hard to believe with a name and an outfit like that.
11:26am 28/04/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3594 posts
Spoiler:
you guys are noobs, although that was Lokis plan, there were references to the hulk guy being and uncontrollable mindless beast before he was even in contact with the staff so wtf lol

last edited by maRtz at 13:10:30 28/Apr/12
01:09pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12595 posts
Spoiler:

Martz, That is a little inconsistancy ;) I think what you are meant to take away from it is that In the last battle when the Hulk is controllable is also when Bruce accepted himself as the Hulk, when he brought out the hulk in a controlled manner , "I'm always angry, RAGEQUIT!" By doing so he is able to keep fairly good control of the Hulk..

The staff was definitely making everyone rage.

01:17pm 28/04/12 Permalink
maRtz
Brisbane, Queensland
3596 posts
oh I see.. yeah still was a bit wtf for me but I see your point.
03:13pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
603 posts
Finally going to see it tonite with the missus, hopefully wont be packed and a fail like opening nite. Any suggestions as to 3D or 2D, some 3D I can stand others give headaches. I heard they have to film sequences slower, so no fast moving s*** for 3D cause it just makes it a crappy blur and the cameras cant keep up.
03:32pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Ghost_47
Melbourne, Victoria
23 posts
thanks.

ok explain this:

Spoiler:what's up with the hulk being some uncontrollable beast at start of movie even trying to kill scarlett but shortly after he's like all best mates with the other avengers

Also in reply to this, if you ever watched 2008's The Incredible Hulk, Spoiler:a reoccuring theme in the movie was for Bruce Banner to control it. At the end of the movie you see him meditating and he opens his eyes which turn green indicating that he can turn into the Hulk at will and thus be able to control his actions. It was so badass when he turned into the Hulk willingly, indicating that he learned to control the transformation.

EDIT: I watched it again last night.. Realised that some scenes didn't fit well IMO, or that I didn't like the dialogue in those scenes as it seemed "forced".. like in some scenes before the Hulk goes crazy on the airship. Other than that it was still mindblowing!
05:10pm 28/04/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36100 posts
Thought it was pretty good. Agree with WetWired about the sort-of-boring stuff with arrow-shooting-guy (Hawk?) and Scarlett (Black Widow? can barely remember their names). Also I haven't seen the Captain America movie but found him utterly flat and boring.

I was super-pissed that one of the scenes from the climax was included almost totally in the trailer. I don't even know how I saw it because I barely watch trailers these days specifically to avoid this sort of bulls*** from happening. Spoiler:
The scene where the Hulk jumps up and grabs the falling Iron Man by leaping up onto the building. As soon as he starts falling, all suspense was immediately ended because you know that's how that scene will end, if you've seen the trailer.
All Hulk stuff was pretty awesome. Ruffalo as Banner is good; I've always liked Ruffalo but I reckon he's getting better with age; he's got a bit more seriousness going for him now.

I thought the event to tie them all together was a bit lame and unrealistic. What, they can't work together to SAVE THE ENTIRE PLANET? That whole middle scene just seemed like a weird setup to make them all just get alone; it felt a bit dragged out and boring. Spoiler:
disappointed to see Phil die to make that happen; he was a great character and I felt more attached to him than several of the other "heroes" because he's been in more of the movies that I've seen, though I guess that was basically the whole point

Overall though, pretty good flick. Several funny moments (although I was the only one in the cinema that laughed at a few of them, like when Tony Stark started talking about raising the mizzenmast), cool SFX, and Scarlett Johanssen looks hooooooot all the time, especially with red hair.
05:26pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Nakor
Brisbane, Queensland
3161 posts
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The scene where the Hulk jumps up and grabs the falling Iron Man by leaping up onto the building. As soon as he starts falling, all suspense was immediately ended because you know that's how that scene will end, if you've seen the trailer.

Spoiler:
but the bit in the trailers where hulk catches him hasn't got the lead up in the movie - which is when he's falling out of the portal - at least I don't remember seeing him falling from a portal in the trailers...
08:30pm 28/04/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
680 posts
The movie felt like every other Spoiler:
comic book movie

I guess you have to be into the story before hand or be a Spoiler:
kid
09:47pm 28/04/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20524 posts
I found Captain America in particular to be completely tensionless in the action segments due to his magical physics defying shield.

In fact I find that a major problem with all these Marvel comic movies. The universe they have created for the heroes to run around in completely defies the laws of physics (free energy for Ironman's suit and Captain America's really dumb shield). I understand that the comics were probably like this and that some people dig having a world without boundaries for dudes to run around in and really f*** s*** up, but I just find it boring and unengaging.

I am guessing this movie is pretty similar in how it's made?
10:31pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6428 posts
Saw this tonight. Holy moly was it awesome. Just everything worked well and each individual characters previous movies allowed that character brief before coming in to watch the "all in one". Hulk was actually pretty good, guess I'll have to watch his movie.

Spoiler:
Captain America's shield is propelled by his ultra physical strength, thus allowing it to defy logic and theory. Also Hawkeye was utterly awesome, love his arrows, shame they didn't let him use some of the Pym powered ones. Black Widow was good, but felt useless unless she was up and close. Hulk smash at Lokie was hilarious, couldn't stop laughing. Thor was just OP and godly. Iron Man was really good, loved the Stark attitude of "I'm the best and richest".

Overall really good movie, will definitely watch again.
10:52pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Ha
Brisbane, Queensland
222 posts
I found Captain America in particular to be completely tensionless in the action segments due to his magical physics defying shield. In fact I find that a major problem with all these Marvel comic movies. The universe they have created for the heroes to run around in completely defies the laws of physics (free energy for Ironman's suit and Captain America's really dumb shield). I understand that the comics were probably like this and that some people dig having a world without boundaries for dudes to run around in and really f*** s*** up, but I just find it boring and unengaging. I am guessing this movie is pretty similar in how it's made?

i'm glad that this movie pisses people like you off.

11:30pm 28/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6432 posts
I found Captain America in particular to be completely tensionless in the action segments due to his magical physics defying shield.

In fact I find that a major problem with all these Marvel comic movies. The universe they have created for the heroes to run around in completely defies the laws of physics (free energy for Ironman's suit and Captain America's really dumb shield). I understand that the comics were probably like this and that some people dig having a world without boundaries for dudes to run around in and really f*** s*** up, but I just find it boring and unengaging.

I am guessing this movie is pretty similar in how it's made?

Or because it's a comic book based film? Don't really see how you can have The Hulk in New York City without defying some form of physics and reality.
11:52pm 28/04/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20527 posts
It doesn't piss me off. I just find it pretty yawntastic.

And yeah I understand that Eorl. I am not saying they should be made any different. I am just posting my worthless forum opinion just like everyone else is.

PS - Bring on The Dark Knight Rises.
12:32am 29/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9498 posts
Good call about marvel, you can't tell from the drawings but in DC comics Superman is actually flapping his arms really fast.
12:34am 29/04/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20528 posts
I don't really mean things like super powers and stuff. Those things are cool. There are just heaps of scenes that I noticed in Captain America where they'd get into an impossible to get out of situation, and then boom, let's defy the laws of physics for the sixth time in this action sequence to get out of it!

They didn't get out of the C***-A-DOO-DEE CAR!
12:39am 29/04/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1494 posts
Umm isn't the whole point that the laws of physics as we know them have been superseded by some whole new set of rules?

01:52am 29/04/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20529 posts
Yes it is. I find movies that do this too much boring and gay. I guess I wasn't clear enough when I first graced you all with my oh-so-important opinion of the Marvel movies. You can stop arguing/discussing this with me now and continue discussing the movie now if you like :P
02:11am 29/04/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12842 posts
Umm isn't the whole point that the laws of physics as we know them have been superseded by some whole new set of rules?

yeh but some sort of consistency with those rules would be nice, so it at least feels believable within the context rather than feeling like a cheap excuse for lazy script writing
04:51am 29/04/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1495 posts
Yeah I get what you're saying.

I did kind of think towards the end, what does it matter? They can't die right? The hulk, thor and cap america are basically invincible?
06:31am 29/04/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
605 posts
Saw it last nite, got there an hour early got the tix, got a feed then came back with about 30min on the clock and the line was upto the door. Totally worth the wait and can't wait for the next one. Can't believe people get up an leave at the end not expecting more to come at the credits.
07:00am 29/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15032 posts
people that argue about physics/realism in super hero movies are retarded.

The hulk, thor and cap america are basically invincible?

cap died in the comics.
09:30am 29/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6435 posts
Yeah Captain America ain't invisible, just very hard to kill. He does regenerate faster then an average human, but put a bullet to his head and he dies.
09:53am 29/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5812 posts
They imply that Thor can die, and that he would have if he didn't escape from the Cage. Capt was wounded and as Rav said, died.

The Hulk though... Old Age maybe.
09:58am 29/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15033 posts

The Hulk though... Old Age maybe.

bruce banner yes, hulk no. hulk would have an incredibly long lifespan.
10:02am 29/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5813 posts
Well, IMO they're one in the same. Because of his secret.
10:08am 29/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6437 posts
I think Thor can die, but by some magical thing from Asgard.
10:12am 29/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1934 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6FV8P7HXg

007 escapes a tidal wave with a surfboard and bad special effects
10:18am 29/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5814 posts
I just think it's funny that fpot seems fine with flying giant alien fish coming through a portal from another world, but a Boomerang Shield is causing disbelief.
10:20am 29/04/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36101 posts
I did kind of think towards the end, what does it matter? They can't die right? The hulk, thor and cap america are basically invincible?
Yeh I was wondering that about Capt. America, having not seen the movie. In some scenes he seemed like just a souped up human but in some others he seemed sort of invincible.
bruce banner yes, hulk no. hulk would have an incredibly long lifespan.
but in the movie there's the implication that Banner is also invulnerable, because he'll just become the Hulk instantly once his life is threatened...? I don't know how it is in the Lore, but I was surprised by that (I've seen the other Hulk movies and always assumed Banner was vincible.

What is the deal with Nick Fury? Is he a super hero himself, or just a dude that organises super heroes (I'm sure I could google this)
10:33am 29/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6440 posts
Trog, he is a dude with a friggin rocket launcher.
10:41am 29/04/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5893 posts
What is the deal with Nick Fury? Is he a super hero himself, or just a dude that organises super heroes (I'm sure I could google this)

His superpowah is that he is Samuel L Mutha F***** Jackson - that is a super power in itself.

also 8/10 cgi stars

06:16pm 29/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15036 posts

he's the director of SHIELD whose job it is to protect the earth. he was a part of the super soldier program (against his will) that created captain america during WW2. he got a little bit of super strength and doesn't age as quickly as normal people due to the experiments that were done on him. he also as a cybernetic arm.
06:36pm 29/04/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
606 posts
but in the movie there's the implication that Banner is also invulnerable, because he'll just become the Hulk instantly once his life is threatened...? I don't know how it is in the Lore, but I was surprised by that (I've seen the other Hulk movies and always assumed Banner was vincible.

Nick Fury takes the Infinity Formula to stop his aging

Bruce says that he put a bullet in his mouth and the other guy spat it out, so that implies that yes as soon as his life is threatened the hulk appears
08:43pm 29/04/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1462 posts
Watched it yesterday, rather enjoyed it myself!
10:31am 30/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15046 posts
Nick Fury takes the Infinity Formula to stop his aging

i think that was the original nick fury, not ultimate fury

last edited by ravn0s at 11:50:28 30/Apr/12
11:49am 30/04/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7830 posts
Saw it yesterday, loved it!

Hulk?
Smash....

Also, Nick Fury was white in the original comics, guess they changed it
02:26pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1463 posts
09:07pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20393 posts
Haha

Tony Stark looks like some dodgy porn star. Love the iron man suit too.
09:48pm 30/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15051 posts

Also, Nick Fury was white in the original comics, guess they changed it

in the ultimate line of comics they actually modeled him off samuel l jackson. when jackson found out they used his likeness, he contacted marvel and told them he wanted to be fury in any marvel movie.

http://i.imgur.com/OuqJF.jpg

last edited by ravn0s at 22:14:10 30/Apr/12
10:13pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6810 posts
Saw this just now, holllly crap! That was awesome. In fact the only way I can fault this movie is that there wasn't quite enough Gweneth Paltrow.

Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises are going to have one hell of a time being a better movie than this.
10:48pm 01/05/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4566 posts
Ruffulo has signed a 6 picture deal, which includes this movie, to play the hulk. So looks like they have plans for him yet. Awesome, he was a kick arse hulk.
09:20am 02/05/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3179 posts
Saw it last night, completely agree with its awesomeness. Captain America couldn't be as awesome as the other heroes but his role seemed to be more of a in-action leader of the team with battle tactics etc so to me I thought he was fine.
11:24am 04/05/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20652 posts
Finally got around to seeing this today, f*****g amazing!

So hungover watching it though, I would have enjoyed it more without the hangover but whaddya gunna do
08:35pm 06/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15080 posts
just got back from seeing this. movie blew me away. it was f*****g awesome.

i really want to see spider-man and wolverine in the sequel.
12:13am 07/05/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4577 posts
Apparantly the Blu-Ray Avengers will have 30 min of deleted scenes. Good news everyone!
12:41am 07/05/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18981 posts
F*** yeah, I was just saying this to someone the other night. Felt to me at times through the movie that bits had been cut out (I'd assume for the sake of running time) and I was hoping for a LOTR style dvd release with all the extra bits put back in. Happy days!
02:14am 07/05/12 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5247 posts
I just saw this movie, and thought it was tops. My only gripe is that it is so very sanitised - almost to the point of detracting from the film.

I would hate for the film to be gory for the sake of being gory, but it could have been a little more grown up.
08:26am 07/05/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7020 posts

Mmm. Scarlet Johansson in a tight suit.

I thought it was crazy good. Also, how utterly terrible does that '78 show look. Ha.
09:08am 07/05/12 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1351 posts
The Walt Disney Studios announced today that Marvel’s The Avengers posted an estimated $200.3 million in its domestic debut May 4-6, shattering previous records and positioning the film as the highest-grossing domestic debut of all time. The film’s cumulative global box office gross is an estimated $641.8 million over 12 days in release.

Killed it at the US Box office, press release from Disney.
11:15am 07/05/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
175 posts
Just my 2c, don't bother seeing it in 3d. It's not worth it.

Though Scarlet Johannsen's ass almost made it worth it, but the action just ended up blurred and it was quite dark.
01:08pm 07/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15083 posts
i saw it in 2d. it was converted to 3d so i figured it would like s***.
01:17pm 07/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6835 posts
Killed it at the US Box office, press release from Disney.

I reckon having it released in other countries before the US would have hugely helped with these sales, since all the reviews coming out of other countries (eg, Australia) were positive.
01:45pm 07/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9575 posts
Apparantly the Blu-Ray Avengers will have 30 min of deleted scenes. Good news everyone!

It's mostly two scenes with Capt. America adjusting to modern life, they don't sound very interesting.
05:16pm 07/05/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7837 posts
I saw it in 3D. The 3D wasn't bad by any means, but I don't think it really improved it at all. I would have enjoyed the movie just as much if I saw it in 2D, I reckon.
06:31pm 07/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5480 posts
Saw it in 2d with my GF, she loved it. It was awesome. Lived up to my expectation but she did veto seeing it in gold class, something to do with "we are going to be in japan in 30 days, why don't you save the money" blah blah blah.
07:42pm 07/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4775 posts
Though Scarlet Johannsen's ass almost made it worth it, but the action just ended up blurred and it was quite dark.

That's exactly what Ryan Reynolds said in his sms reply.
07:53pm 07/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15093 posts
jesus, it made just over $207 million. almost $40 million more than the previous record holder.
06:17pm 08/05/12 Permalink
mrdamn
Brisbane, Queensland
5 posts
Was good man. Heard negative reports. Glad I didnt listen.
12:55am 09/05/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4581 posts
07:09pm 09/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15097 posts
Was good man. Heard negative reports. Glad I didnt listen.

lol what negative reports?
07:31pm 09/05/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18715 posts
it was ok. I saw it in 3d. Definitely good for the action at the end. Overall it was too busy. I enjoyed captain america more. Can't wait for that sequel.
12:54am 10/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5491 posts
infi is just sad that the man in spandex didn't get enough screentime.
02:24am 10/05/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18716 posts
am i that obvious?? :p
03:48am 10/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:48am 10/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.