AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Dirk Gently TV
Zoidberg
Brisbane, Queensland
21 posts
This is about a month old but search revealed nothing so..

Found out that the BBC has done an adaption of the "other" Douglas Adam's series Dirk Gently. This is apparently a pilot for a possible series. While the reviews are not stellar (7'ish /10) most of the complaints seam to stem from the simplification of the plots used from the 1st book ( Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency). I quite enjoyed the books, perhaps even more than Hitchhickers, so hopefully it should still be a good show to watch*.

now available from the usual places

- *right to retract upon actual viewing
10:26pm 07/01/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:26pm 07/01/11 Permalink
stinky
USA
3578 posts
I saw this ep the other day. It wasn't bad, I'd give it a shot if it gets turned into a full series.
02:41am 08/01/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
32664 posts
F*** yes! I love the Dirk Gently books. Nice find!

If you've read The Guide you'll probably enjoy these books. Totally different but classic Douglas Adams writing style and the character of Dirk is awesome.
03:12pm 08/01/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33719 posts
Finally got around to watching this. Thought it was pretty average. The "pilot" or whatever it is deviates massively from the original book. As much as I like the actor that plays Dirk, I didn't think he was right for the role.

There were a lot of cool little shoutouts to people that had read the book - things like "The Electric Monk" scribbled on Dirk's wall - but overall probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch more, unfortunately. There just wasn't enough of the humour captured - it simply wasn't funny enough. I think it will just end up being a curious detective show.
07:42pm 25/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
372 posts
just bring back the green wing, or expand campus
10:39am 26/05/11 Permalink
Zoidberg
Brisbane, Queensland
41 posts
yeah I had high hopes for it, but it changed far to much and became rather average. I think i will just stick with the awesome BBC radio play of it
06:18pm 26/05/11 Permalink
Caveboy
Brisbane, Queensland
142 posts
I'm sure I read someplace that this has been picked up for a full season in the last month or two.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/833249/dirk_gently_will_return_to_bbc_four.html

last edited by Caveboy at 18:22:32 26/May/11
06:21pm 26/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:21pm 26/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks