AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
s1garage: was that your plan?
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
11792 posts

How much understeer is too much understeer? I dont give a fuck, its time for new suspension.

After spending most of the day @ QR watching Dan have intense formula ford battle, then watching some drags, I was in the mood for some automotive buggery. I managed to drag luke and diddy into helping me install my Teins at Lukes workplace, a big engineering kinda place out Banyo way.

It turned out to be the perfect spot, because so much shit went wrong we needed to make use of some crazy fucked up tools youve never heard of. So anyway, welcome to s1 garage (fanfare)

^^ omg GSX-R

We started with the front left, and that went in fine. A little too fine as it turned out.

^^ Luke, briefly known here as Astron_Boy, working his unique Slovak magic. Mad props and a case of 40's to Luke for giving up his time to help me out.

Then we tried the front right. Oh hang on a minute, this suspension is seems to be under a lot more load than the other side. Oh wait, its because something, probably somewhere very fundamentally important, is bent on the front of your car!

That was the first problem, which we solved by using Diddy as a kind of human breaker bar to bend various parts of the suspension assembly into place while the coilover was fitted in. Tough job, but some cunts gotta do it.

Then came the second problem. With all the load wound up on the stock suspension, the lower bolts needed to be hammered out with, suprisingly, a hammer (and a stake thingy). In the process we flattened out the thread on one of the bolts, rendering it less screwable than Margaret Thatcher. However being in a warehouse full of 3ft long shifter wrenches and crazy laser cutting tools, Luke located this nifty nail-file gizmo that you grind across the bolt to straighten the thread out again. This tool may not sound crazy to you, but I was fucking amazed ok.

^^ Front right is in

The rears were fucking easy.

^^ s13 pro-stock, coming soon

Then a crazy fucking zombie came out of fucking nowhere and started doing shit, like what the fuck is with that?

^^ s1: wear tyres, not shirts

^^ I would hazard a guess that the ride height is currently just a little over the lowest legal limit. I did manage to resist Diddys demands that I "slam the cunt" and Im pretty sure that noise I heard reversing up the driveway wasnt my sump (lol) grinding on the road, so I guess it will stay like this for now.

Wheel alignment to come soon, as we as a diagnosis about why my front end is bi-polar.

In short,
04:22am 20/11/05 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
04:22am 20/11/05 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
3056 posts
/me approves :D
04:43am 20/11/05 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
2849 posts
looking hot

just need that shit rolling on 22"s

last edited by Paveway-3 at 07:39:49 20/Nov/05
07:39am 20/11/05 Permalink
Jerds
Brisbane, Queensland
752 posts
MMMMMMMMMMMM.

GEEEWWWDDD.
10:43am 20/11/05 Permalink
nF
Wynnum, Queensland
11788 posts
Nice one.

What the fuck is bent?
11:10am 20/11/05 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
11793 posts
Ok, this is my pretty amatuerish description of it:

On the right hand side, that thing outlined in red (lower arm?) seemed to sit a lot higher than the one on the left. So unbolting the strut from the brakes was a cunt of a job cos there was all this tension wound up on the spring.

And this of course made re-bolting the lower part of the Teins impossible without diddy grabbing the brake disc and bending the whole arm down while me and luke got the bolts through.

It is also quite possible that its supposed to be like that, and the left side of the car is the part thats fucked.

Points to remember:

- Car has always (always) steered to the left
- Wheel alignment didnt fix it back in the day becuase apparently my "caster is fucked"
- I've mounted two gutters at resonable speeds on the left side
- I hit Mount Nismo at reasonable speed on the right
- This could all be evidence of a much bigger problem
- lol imports
12:46pm 20/11/05 Permalink
nF
Wynnum, Queensland
11789 posts
ah, just get some adjustable castor rods/bushes and you can probably get it back to straight

you could also put the car on a chassis rig and get it straightened
12:53pm 20/11/05 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
9457 posts
Car has always (always) steered to the left

if it doesn't pull a whole hell of a lot, just drifts slightly to the left, I was under the impression this was some kind of safety thing that if you fall asleep at the wheel, have a heart attack, lose concentration while getting a blow job, the car will automatically just drive off into the ditch, rather than run off into oncomming traffic. Just about every car I've driven has slightly drifted to the left. Could also be caused by the slantass roads around the place that slant off to the side for water drainage & such.
02:43pm 20/11/05 Permalink
King Of Shibby!
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
2294 posts
if it pulls to any direction it means the alignment is out. You've probably munted a tower on one of your many gutter surfing expiditions. Easiest way to fix these is to get ajustable castor rod bushes (50-100) and ajustable camber bolts for the control arms (100) or alternativly get some camber tops and get a suspension shop to wind in -2 on both sides.

The rears are always a cunt to do, have to get them through the upper arms and on that little bolt down the bottom. Crowbar city!

Fuck i love having a rattle gun!

In other news dont waste money on drift pinapples, the verdict is in. makes fuck all difference.
03:51pm 20/11/05 Permalink
nF
Wynnum, Queensland
11790 posts
almost all cars will pull to the left

its not just road, most of the time the suspension (if its adjustable) has camber and castor different on each side
04:00pm 20/11/05 Permalink
flagger
Brisbane, Queensland
148 posts
my r32 pull to the right a bit now...after i my left rear mounted a curb during one of the s1 random cruises (i turn in too early going around an island at maxes work ok). before that, i had a full alignment done at fulcrum and was driving straight.

good work maxe, makes me want to get coilovers too....and bodykit, rims, fmic, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, better exhaust...etc etc :(
04:45pm 20/11/05 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
4942 posts
In other news dont waste money on drift pinapples, the verdict is in. makes fuck all difference.

Lies.
04:49pm 20/11/05 Permalink
King Of Shibby!
2295 posts
it'll make a huge difference on the dirt, but not dry. Mabye alloy ones would have been better.....
05:35pm 20/11/05 Permalink
nF
Wynnum, Queensland
11791 posts
(i turn in too early going around an island at maxes work ok)

that curb looks like a wheel killer :(
06:04pm 20/11/05 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
15080 posts
well, i dunno, maybe its just me
but i woudlnt fuck around putting in suspension

its like, important n that

id pay fulcrum to do it
07:39pm 20/11/05 Permalink
eK
Brisbane, Queensland
9547 posts
Will look even sweeter when you pickup some phat rims.
08:11pm 20/11/05 Permalink
smart
Brisbane, Queensland
2219 posts
theres some nice open roads down there maxe ;)

i live about 1 min away from it :P
09:31pm 20/11/05 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
6832 posts
I'm liking that shit. I want wheel to guard gap like that :(
09:06am 21/11/05 Permalink
monkeymajik
Brisbane, Queensland
803 posts
Looks hot, how does it handle?
09:27am 21/11/05 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
11799 posts
Looks hot, how does it handle?

Beautiful.

Also sit down kids, there is a follow up story thats almost as embarrasing as the sump-jacking incident.

Driving out from work to get some lunch today, I could suddenly here my front right strut going *clunk* *clunk* *clunk* over every bump. "Oh fuck" I think, so after work I take it down the road to Option 1 and say "Help me my car is making crazy noises that distract me from staring at my cool JDM stickers".

Popped the hood, and gave it the ol' Sigma Bodyroll Shake, and noticed the main bolt at the top of the right strut was cresting and falling like an R33 in the Pacific.

Suddenly it all made sense.

The right strut not fitting, the fact that the fronts werent the same length (we noticed it earlier in the night, then forgot about it), everything.

When I first took em to Dans place earlier this month, he told me both bolts needed to be rattle-gunned tight. I guess whoever handled em at Fulcrum either forgot to do it or expected me to check (which is fair enough), so yeah thats the result.

pff, Ive got it all under control.

last edited by maxe at 16:33:59 21/Nov/05
04:32pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
3433 posts

im the sorta guy that would pay to get stuff done, too much stuff can go wrong with me trying to fiddle with it myself :p

so, atm im paying to get the car cleaned up from what the guy before me couldnt.

radiator, thermostat, heater hoses. hopefully not a head gasket, but we'll see hey :/
04:41pm 21/11/05 Permalink
King Of Shibby!
2297 posts
Why would you pay someone to do something as simple as that? (minus headgasket)
05:31pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
3435 posts
because i dont trust myself, and this guy isnt taht expensive and i like warranties on work done :D

plus the stuff is below the turbos == hard to get to
05:38pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Bj
Brisbane, Queensland
1157 posts
In the long run its not worth saving the few $ trying to do shit yourself, you get more trouble than value.

Pay money, get receipts, have someone to point the blame at if shit goes wrong.

Fulcrum forgot to do it

Fixed. Personally id stay away from the "main-stream" suspension shops, none of them seem to have much of a clue. Pedders put the bushes in my dads mustang in -upside down- and fucked them good. Go to someone who is owner/operator and actually has some experience

Picked up S15 today, woot! :)
05:54pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Burgz
Brisbane, Queensland
2096 posts
omg pics burt

pics
06:06pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Splash
Brisbane, Queensland
2289 posts
I'd hardly call Fulcrum a main-stream suspension shop, let alone compare them to Pedders.
06:46pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
2858 posts
yeah well, i got new shocks and springs put in a while ago, wanted to do it myself but was a bit of a girly man about it. so i took it to beaurepairs and the dodgey cunts didn't put my front shocks in.. kept them. only found about about it a few months down the track when i was changing my brake pads.

btw that beaurepair virginia. across from the shell on sandgate road.
07:31pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Bj
Brisbane, Queensland
1158 posts
I'd hardly call Fulcrum a main-stream suspension shop, let alone compare them to Pedders.

Sorry, guess your right up there with the workshops then

Both sound as dodgy as the other.

I'll take some pics this weekend, just a dead stock S15 right now though :) its like a brand new car basically. Im gonna order some wheels and a few other bits this week so give it a month or so and should be lookin alot different :)
09:39pm 21/11/05 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
9466 posts
well, i dunno, maybe its just me

its like, important n that

dude, it's like 4 or 5 bolts to hold the strut in, take them out, throw old strut at stray cat/dog/bogan, put new strut in, replace bolts. Only hard thing about it is if whatever you do stuffs up the wheel alignment, just go to your favourite wheel place & get a new wheel alignment. My friend changed the struts in a couple of his cars, nothing ever fell out, nothing ever fell out on any of our cars either. If you can't judge how tight to make it, just buy a torque wrench & look up how tight to tighten up the bolts.
10:02pm 21/11/05 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
2863 posts
just throw the old strut at whoop
10:18pm 21/11/05 Permalink
nF
Wynnum, Queensland
11807 posts
no, it might upset him
11:37pm 21/11/05 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
9469 posts
at least paveway got my bogan reference :)
01:20am 22/11/05 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
01:20am 22/11/05 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks