We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
Work laptop thoughts
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1213 posts
Looking at grabbing 3 of these for travelling employees, any reason not too? Cheaper/better options from your experience?

Basic office use, few applications like meta trader 4, need decent battery life

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/asus-ux31a-r4005p-13.3-core-i5-windows-8-pro-ultrabook

Specification Summary
Manufacturer ASUS
Processor Brand Intel Core i5
CPU Speed 1.7GHz
Memory Size 4GB Memory
Memory Type SODIMM DDR3
Storage 128GB
Integrated GPU Intel HD 4000
Display Size 13.3"
Resolution 1920x1080
Notebook Video Integrated Video
Technology LED Backlight, IPS Panel
Optical Drive No Optical Drive
IO 3.5mm Audio, Bluetooth 4.0
Wireless Speed Wireless-N
USB USB 3.0
Operating System Windows 8 Pro
03:14pm 18/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:14pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35172 posts
make sure whatever you choose has an ssd, or you put an ssd in it.
03:22pm 18/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1214 posts
make sure whatever you choose has an ssd, or you put an ssd in it.

yeah these have 128gb ssd
03:24pm 18/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7474 posts
Looking at grabbing 3 of these for travelling employees, any reason not too?

The main reason I'd be careful is for warranty service.

If you go a manufacturer like Dell, if anything goes wrong during your warranty period you'll have a tech at your door the next morning for an on-the-spot repair with no fuss. Minimises downtime pretty well.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ASUS are as easy to deal with when something goes wrong.
03:53pm 18/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3772 posts
if it helps, I see quite a few if these been carried by mining based sales reps (they sit down, do and hour or so's work with-out mains powers, jump on a plane, only guessing they do more work on the plane to butt f*** boonies
03:59pm 18/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5393 posts
The main reason I'd be careful is for warranty service.If you go a manufacturer like Dell, if anything goes wrong during your warranty period you'll have a tech at your door the next morning for an on-the-spot repair with no fuss.

This is why we use Dell at work :) I know dell is having special on at the moment XPS 13
03:59pm 18/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36733 posts
Dell! Dell sale: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3273179 ... although looks like it just ended they still have some good deals. I have an XPS 13 that I love and my g/f has an XPS 14 which is a little bigger but more powerful. I would get the 13 if you need more portability and the 14 if you need more power.
04:06pm 18/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3911 posts
Seems a bit exy for basic use. Why not go to JB or Good Guys and do a deal on buying 3 from their range.

If usage is that basic grab something sub $1K

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/asus/

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Computers_&_Laptops

Google some reviews to check battery life
04:10pm 18/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36734 posts
Seems a bit exy for basic use. Why not go to JB or Good Guys and do a deal on buying 3 from their range.

If usage is that basic grab something sub $1K
If it's for work use and you depend on it I would say never buy one at retail unless they have an instant-swap policy.

As parabol says Dell will come out to you the next day and just fix your s***. I've seen this in operation with several friends&family and it is awesome. I have Dell gear and haven't had to use their warranty ever but knowing that if anything goes boom I can have it fixed the next day is awesome.

Also I think it is a worldwide warranty so if you're traveling or working OS they can still help you out (can't remember this one for sure).
04:12pm 18/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5394 posts
Also I think it is a worldwide warranty so if you're traveling or working OS they can still help you out (can't remember this one for sure).

They do one of my Directors was in america he rang them up they came to the hotel and fixed it for him :)
04:16pm 18/02/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3590 posts
They do one of my Directors was in america he rang them up they came to the hotel and fixed it for him :)

+1 for dell next day service. if it is a work laptop and not just a laptop for home, i would definitely be looking at the support options of the laptops you are looking at
04:33pm 18/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7901 posts
Asus warranties are laughable, Dell all the way
05:20pm 18/02/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2920 posts
always had great service with the HP business warranty being next day
05:57pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9940 posts
always had great service with the HP business warranty being next day

HP is useless compared to Dell.

Dell bring all the parts that might be needed for the device.

HP Bring one part and if the indian got it wrong and requested the wrong part .. then you will wait until the new part arrives. Because they do not have a stock pile of parts in Brisbane anymore, they get flown in as required.
07:05pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9861 posts
Macbook Air's for everyone, win.
07:25pm 18/02/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2921 posts
HP Bring one part and if the indian got it wrong and requested the wrong part .. then you will wait until the new part arrives. Because they do not have a stock pile of parts in Brisbane anymore, they get flown in as required.

If you diagnose they send you the relevant part for quick install otherwise they bring out all that is needed.
Like I said, never had an issue.
07:34pm 18/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7475 posts
If you diagnose they send you the relevant part for quick install otherwise they bring out all that is needed.

That doesn't actually address anything Obes said.

Also, sending a part to a customer takes longer than having a tech over the next morning with the part from their own technicians' stock.

It's very hard to beat Dell for warranty. The only thing they have been lacking in is quality control. I had a screen replaced and it had some dead pixels. I complained, a tech came the next day with a replacement - dead pixels again. A tech came the next day, dead pixels. The tech said they were probably sending me some yum cha brand and to not waste my time anymore he rang up Dell and asked specifically for a Samsung screen and the next day the replacement screen was good.
07:49pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35174 posts
Macbook Air's for everyone, win.

haha, we're talking about machines for work here bro, not toys for kids.
07:57pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1284 posts
I have the i7 version and bought it last year for my own work. It's great but for two things that s*** me.

1) The keyboard is a f*****g piece of s*** with keypresses not registering all the time.
2) If you have to use more than 2 USB devices at once you have to have an external USB port hub.

Outside of that it a great piece of work but it still can't play games cause of the Intel video - even though I don't use it for that you may want to.
08:04pm 18/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1215 posts
I have the i7 version and bought it last year for my own work. It's great but for two things that s*** me.

1) The keyboard is a f*****g piece of s*** with keypresses not registering all the time.
2) If you have to use more than 2 USB devices at once you have to have an external USB port hub.

Outside of that it a great piece of work but it still can't play games cause of the Intel video - even though I don't use it for that you may want to.

The idea of said travelling employees not being able to play games is delightful :)

Thanks for the feedback!

And thanks everyone else for the feedback too. Dell seems to be the choice warranty wise but when specing the systems they seem a bit limited, no option for windows 8, only option for office 2013 and apparently the screen is one of those annoying shiny ones you can only see if its positioned perfectly in front of you with no light, as where the asus has 178 degrees viewing IPS thing. Also a few hundred bucks more than the Asus after negotiating a discount with computer alliance.

Leaning towards the Asus unless anyone has anything particularly nasty to say about them (other than warranty, I can wait a few weeks for replacements)
09:31pm 18/02/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7477 posts
no option for windows 8, only option for office 2013

I thought you said it's for business use, which normally implies Win7 + Office 2010 (or 2007 for the more conservative) for maximum compatibility with business software and typical client documents.
Leaning towards the Asus

Good luck!
10:18pm 18/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9900 posts
Leaning towards the Asus unless anyone has anything particularly nasty to say about them (other than warranty, I can wait a few weeks for replacements)

you said you were buying business equipment.

Asus typically has a ~6week wait on parts.

you don't sound like you are buying this equipment for work arkter, you sound like some poor bugger who got stuck with an IT procurement task.

I won't say anything *nasty* about CA - they're a computer retailer.

You sound like you need the services of an IT company

in situations like these I tell people to ring Microsoft... they know about this stuff.

They recommend Dell
10:33pm 18/02/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9862 posts
haha, we're talking about machines for work here bro, not toys for kids.

I realise.

Core i7,8gig ram, 256gig SSD, USB 3, ~1kg. What else you need bro? :)
12:16am 19/02/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5722 posts
Dell and I can't recommend their pro support enough
12:57am 19/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35175 posts
Core i7,8gig ram, 256gig SSD, USB 3, ~1kg. What else you need bro? :)

a sensible budget?
05:46am 19/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8454 posts
Joining in with the mob, go Dell for work. One of my clients had an IT services company that supplied HPs. Good machines but one had a fault and it took over *a week* to get a hard drive replaced.

Dell would have had it fixed the next business day.
07:40am 19/02/13 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
967 posts
For work go dell

It is worth the extra bux especially if you are the one they are going to ring for help :)
07:48am 19/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36735 posts
apparently the screen is one of those annoying shiny ones you can only see if its positioned perfectly in front of you with no light
Mine is like that but it is only a problem in very limited # of circumstances, like if there's a massive fluro light that reflects perfectly. It is certainly not a big enough drama that I worry about it or it bugs me a lot.
11:32am 19/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5395 posts
Dell seems to be the choice warranty wise but when specing the systems they seem a bit limited, no option for windows 8, only option for office 2013 and apparently the screen is one of those annoying shiny ones you can only see if its positioned perfectly in front of you with no light, as where the asus has 178 degrees viewing IPS thing.

if you get Dell customer service guy they can normally do different upgrades for you. I just bought laptop last week for work and specially asked for Windows 7 and office with outlook.
12:20pm 19/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6399 posts
Meh love of dell up here in this thread, but we don't buy dell anymore because of the terrible service every time.

One laptop, high end xps thing kept overheating, they replaced the motherboard 3 times and still had the issue. Then they refused to do anything more, had to go to consumer affairs. At least they sent out technicians each time for that one.

Another time we had a dell laptop battery failed, it took them 6 months, and this was for a critical laptop specifically to run solidworks onsite at clients to demonstrate some of our cnc stuff. I mean like 6 months of returning the wrong battery and them then denying ever having contact and what started as weekly calls turning into 'when getting into the office call dell about x'.

A once we received some faulty dell laptops all from the same batch, ordered 3 and all 3 had the same issues, and their policy was basically to drop calls once they had determined who was calling.

Since then we dropped ever buying dell. That was about 3 years ago. We do everything ASUS now, we've had one faulty, but we've been able to just keep a spare ready in case anything has gone wrong. The faulty one ended up being a windows issue anyway so it went back on the field later that week.

But i'm sure they're great.
01:19pm 19/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1217 posts
if you get Dell customer service guy they can normally do different upgrades for you. I just bought laptop last week for work and specially asked for Windows 7 and office with outlook.

cool, thanks, might give them a buzz.

Mine is like that but it is only a problem in very limited # of circumstances, like if there's a massive fluro light that reflects perfectly. It is certainly not a big enough drama that I worry about it or it bugs me a lot.

Alright cheers

you said you were buying business equipment.Asus typically has a ~6week wait on parts.you don't sound like you are buying this equipment for work arkter, you sound like some poor bugger who got stuck with an IT procurement task.I won't say anything *nasty* about CA - they're a computer retailer.You sound like you need the services of an IT companyin situations like these I tell people to ring Microsoft... they know about this stuff.They recommend Dell

I've dealt with CA before - they're pretty good... then minor price increase over umart is worth not having to deal with the people at umart (on gold coast anyway).

We are only small - 15~ employees, we're looking at using the services of an IT company in the near future, we just have to figure out what's happening with the business, we're opening an office in Brisbane in a few months and the rest of the guys are constantly in Europe or the States - so going all out on our GC office doesn't really make sense at this point in time until we figure out who is going where etc. When we're ready I'll be using some like JMR to do a proper fit out.

"You'll need to speak to one of our Authorised Resellers" - Every muffled overseas Microsoft employee ever

Meh love of dell up here in this thread, but we don't buy dell anymore because of the terrible service every time.

One laptop, high end xps thing kept overheating, they replaced the motherboard 3 times and still had the issue. Then they refused to do anything more, had to go to consumer affairs. At least they sent out technicians each time for that one.

Another time we had a dell laptop battery failed, it took them 6 months, and this was for a critical laptop specifically to run solidworks onsite at clients to demonstrate some of our cnc stuff. I mean like 6 months of returning the wrong battery and them then denying ever having contact and what started as weekly calls turning into 'when getting into the office call dell about x'.

A once we received some faulty dell laptops all from the same batch, ordered 3 and all 3 had the same issues, and their policy was basically to drop calls once they had determined who was calling.

Since then we dropped ever buying dell. That was about 3 years ago. We do everything ASUS now, we've had one faulty, but we've been able to just keep a spare ready in case anything has gone wrong. The faulty one ended up being a windows issue anyway so it went back on the field later that week.

But i'm sure they're great.

That is a hell of a plot/thread twist.
01:28pm 19/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36741 posts
I just got a 20% Dell discount coupon for a lot of their range, if anyone is interested. Only lasts a few days.
10:44am 21/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:44am 21/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.