Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Recommend me a GPS #002
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3879 posts
not sure there's been many of these lately, hence the #002 label. I found this thread but it's nearly 12 months old. Didn't want to go back further these things change so quickly.

I'm considering a new GPS as my new job has me on the road a bit and the new company car doesn't have an in dash one. My private car has an in dash one so I've never needed a portable unit and i need some help and advice.

I read over at the old thread that Tom Tom for iPhone is good (E.T. quote) but i was wondering if it drains the battery and if you can still take incoming/make outgoing calls while it's working. Are there other iPhone options and is this the way to go, given above query.

The brand I know are Tom Tom, Garmin, and Navman. I have noticed some advertised with "Bluetooth hands free" so that's for your phone I guess but I have BT in the car anyway so this is not required, although when I fly/hire car it might be, mmmmmm.

So anyway what's the low down on good GPS peeps.

thx

07:03pm 09/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:03pm 09/02/13 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3695 posts
Google Maps (the recent version released in the app store) for iPhone is fantastic. I use that over my work cars gps.
07:20pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5345 posts
I picked up a Garmin nuvi 3450 just before Christmas, it's great. You'd swear it was an iPhone (but thinner).
07:39pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3088 posts
I have Garmin Nuvi 2455 LMT, can't complain. Came with lifetime free maps when I got it a few months back for $150 at Good Guys. Has lane guidance for built up areas, gives live traffic info. Can personalize if pretty well, warns you for speed and using freeway speed traps in my area show that it's dead on really, +/- 1kph.

Some of the models in this line have bluetooth stuff for phone integration but mine does not.
07:43pm 09/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3880 posts
Some of the models in this line have bluetooth stuff for phone integration but mine does not.

yeah didn't think i would worry about this at first, but after more thought it would be handy when i have to fly somewhere and hire a car. Gives me the combo of using the GPS and having BT for my phone without having to f*** around with a hire cars BT.

Do they generally come with mounts or do you need to buy those separate?
07:51pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3089 posts
Mine came with a suction cup mount, works well enough. Also came with the car charger and a USB to mini USB cable.
07:53pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21325 posts
I prefer my garmin over googlemaps because I'm on prepaid so no data plan for downloading maps on the go. I get 4 free map updates per year and traffic reports via the FM receiver in the GPS cord. My last one had bluetooth but I have hands free in the cars anyway so no need of the GPS doing it.
08:39pm 09/02/13 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1032 posts
I've had a navman, garmin, tomtom, igo, and prefer the interface and I guess, 'user experience' of the garmin the most. Find one that suits your needs and budget and go from there.
12:12pm 10/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3884 posts
Dropped into Good Guys this morning to get a physical look and feel of some brands.

Salesman was so helpful I bought this one for $245, Navman MY350LMT

Amazing what good customer service can do.
03:01pm 10/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19504 posts
Good God man. Use your phone.
03:02pm 10/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6359 posts
Google Maps (the recent version released in the app store) for iPhone is fantastic. I use that over my work cars gps.

On android it's amazing. Comes with navigation and if you don't have data you go to a wifi spot, zoom to an area you want, like all of brisbane, and then hold your finger and click 'cache' and now you don't need data. I've got all of east australia cached and when i went to japan i pre-cached osaka tokyo and kyoto although a friend who went over there shortly after couldn't. Weird.
03:46pm 10/02/13 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6124 posts
Nexus 7 tethered to your mobile and google maps\google navigation
07:18pm 10/02/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
515 posts
3g Ipad with a Arkon mount... i use the Hema Maps and Motion X with cached google sat images for 4wding, and Navionics for the boat... The ipad is like a big screen navigator / plotter which is WIN.
07:22pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7657 posts
Nokia Drive, which comes with any Lumia, is pretty awesome:
http://images.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/nokia-drive.jpg
08:02pm 10/02/13 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3696 posts
On android it's amazing. Comes with navigation and if you don't have data you go to a wifi spot, zoom to an area you want, like all of brisbane, and then hold your finger and click 'cache' and now you don't need data. I've got all of east australia cached and when i went to japan i pre-cached osaka tokyo and kyoto although a friend who went over there shortly after couldn't. Weird.

Yeah, the caching option is pretty cool, a friend of mine used it in NZ last year on his Galaxy II. The iPhone one doesn't have caching as far as I'm aware but does have all the turn by turn voice navigation which alone is light years ahead of their original app.

I've got a Tom Tom as well, granted it's 5yrs old but prefer the iPhone just because I don't have to do anything to keep it up to date (need to plug my tom tom into my pc and manually run updates), my tom tom has no battery life, never really lasted that long even when it was new, and the biggest reason imo, I don't need to buy maps for other countries if I go overseas.
08:52pm 10/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21345 posts
Oh also one thing I noticed, I was using the google one on my phone one day because my GPS was in the other car and half way through the trip my phone suffered from gender identity disorder. It went from a male voice to a female one (or vice versa I forget which). I was like WTF LOL.
08:56pm 10/02/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5378 posts
I bought Tom Tom for my iPhone years ago and i love it. First i bought itunes gift cards on special so i saved money on the app.
11:02am 11/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6362 posts
Nokia Drive, which comes with any Lumia, is pretty awesome:
Except it's reading KM's instead of miles in london...
11:40am 11/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10756 posts
I'm also interested in a new GPS. Are there any where the maps can be updated? From what I know buying new maps usually costs almost as much as buying a new GPS. Are there any where it is free?
Also if it has the ability to store power in it briefly, that would be good. As in, if the 12v thing isn't plugged in it could keep going for a few minutes, that would be a big plus.
11:41am 11/02/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36704 posts
I've got all of east australia cached and when i went to japan i pre-cached osaka tokyo and kyoto although a friend who went over there shortly after couldn't. Weird.
I actually just got back from Japan and had the same problem - did a quick look into it and apparently it's just something that Google Japan disabled (I assume the maps are licensed exclusively to some local GPS provider and they're not allowed to provide them offline).

You can use OpenStreetMap which I'm hoping will eventually get good enough to be my default mapping application - apparently it's pretty good in Japan because of the Google limitations, but I didn't have time to try it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Aside from that though, Android's offline caching is really really awesome and I've used it very happily in several countries as a primary GPS system. There are still a few small advantages to a standalone GPS system (e.g., driving from Inverness to Edinburgh my phone ran out of batteries despite being on the charger, wtf, making the last part of the trip extremely frustrating and stressful) but overall I can't imagine them getting more useful only time compared to phones - only less.

As long as you have a reliable car charger and good phone reception though - phone ftw.
11:48am 11/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13465 posts
Nokia Drive here, hasn't let me down.
12:15pm 11/02/13 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6616 posts
Get a cradle for your phone. GPS units are old hat.
12:21pm 11/02/13 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6617 posts
Oh you already wasted $245. Way to be an askhole.
12:23pm 11/02/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3895 posts
An update on Navman MY350LMT that I got.

I appreciate many people just use their phone and I did consider phone style, I have a work iPhone. Apart from basic navigation like finding my way around interstate cities, or finding a local restaurant here or when travelling I've never fully utilised my phones navigation options for all day driving. Saves my phone life for calls and email.

But for constant daily use I thought a dedicated GPS would suit my needs better. So I went with the stand alone GPS and so far so good.

Some features that i found good, these can all be turned off/on as desired. All notifications in advance with meterage.
* Notification of speed cameras
* Notification of school zones (and seems to be only during school hours, EG. on outward bound trip at 8.45 it notified me, coming back home at 12.30 it didn't)
* Notification of change in speed zones
* 3D visualization of multi lane areas to show you which lanes to stay in
* Tells you which lane to turn from on multi lane turns to ensure your situated to make whatever the next turn is.
* Notifies you when merging lanes are joining main road
* Landmark guides in conjunction with general directions, EG. tells you "turn left at the service station"
* Not that i need it but it even told me when i was entering one of those no exhaust brakes zones

Would be interested to know what similar features are on the phone versions?

So all in all I'm happy I got a stand alone GPS, and with teh BT option when I fly somewhere and hire a car i can hook it up to my phone and find my way while making calls. So for a measly $245 (which i will claim on tax) well worth it.

Are there any where the maps can be updated? From what I know buying new maps usually costs almost as much as buying a new GPS. Are there any where it is free?

the one I got Navman MY350LMT has updates "for life"

Also if it has the ability to store power in it briefly, that would be good. As in, if the 12v thing isn't plugged in it could keep going for a few minutes, that would be a big plus.

Lasted about 2 hours before i turned it off, about an hour for finding where i wanted to go and then i left it on genreal map mode, probably had more life in it but I'd finished what I needed.

10:33am 13/02/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7893 posts
GPS' make people worse drivers I think, especially ones that tell you when to change lanes WTF

Should've gone iPhone + Quadlock IMO, then it makes you charge your phone too, which is an excellent habit to get into in case of zombie apocalypse.
10:51am 13/02/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9884 posts
I've noticed more and more people @work running Tom Tom on their work iPad

it sure is a lot easier of the eye, and entering in locations / seeing current locations is much better of a bigger screen, though I notice that the suction cup mounting brackets are a bit of a specialty item. Well... a $10 one.

most peeps I've seen hack their iPads to get free TomTom, though I don't see this as a great idea in the long run.. I still don't like the idea of a company knowing how often I go a few clicks over the speed limit and who they'll share that information with.. still - I wouldn't put it past Telstra.

I would sooner buy the app properly though.

10:10pm 13/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8775 posts
* Notification of change in speed zones

Be careful with this one. My wife has a Navman with this feature and it isn't always right, even when it does change close to the actual sign posts it seems to be several hundred meters too late, other times it's incorrect altogether.

I have a basic Garmin and it's much better for this, but still not perfect.

The moral is, don't rely on it!
10:03am 14/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:03am 14/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.