An update on Navman MY350LMT
that I got.
I appreciate many people just use their phone and I did consider phone style, I have a work iPhone. Apart from basic navigation like finding my way around interstate cities, or finding a local restaurant here or when travelling I've never fully utilised my phones navigation options for all day driving. Saves my phone life for calls and email.
But for constant daily use I thought a dedicated GPS would suit my needs better. So I went with the stand alone GPS and so far so good.
Some features that i found good, these can all be turned off/on as desired. All notifications in advance with meterage.
* Notification of speed cameras
* Notification of school zones (and seems to be only during school hours, EG. on outward bound trip at 8.45 it notified me, coming back home at 12.30 it didn't)
* Notification of change in speed zones
* 3D visualization of multi lane areas to show you which lanes to stay in
* Tells you which lane to turn from on multi lane turns to ensure your situated to make whatever the next turn is.
* Notifies you when merging lanes are joining main road
* Landmark guides in conjunction with general directions, EG. tells you "turn left at the service station"
* Not that i need it but it even told me when i was entering one of those no exhaust brakes zones
Would be interested to know what similar features are on the phone versions?
So all in all I'm happy I got a stand alone GPS, and with teh BT option when I fly somewhere and hire a car i can hook it up to my phone and find my way while making calls. So for a measly $245 (which i will claim on tax) well worth it.
Are there any where the maps can be updated? From what I know buying new maps usually costs almost as much as buying a new GPS. Are there any where it is free?
the one I got Navman MY350LMT
has updates "for life"
Also if it has the ability to store power in it briefly, that would be good. As in, if the 12v thing isn't plugged in it could keep going for a few minutes, that would be a big plus.
Lasted about 2 hours before i turned it off, about an hour for finding where i wanted to go and then i left it on genreal map mode, probably had more life in it but I'd finished what I needed.