We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
WD TV Live
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13367 posts
Looking at picking one up this afternoon (WDBGXT0NBK) as my old lappy that was our media PC finally croaked.

Anyone have any input on how well it works over wi-fi and what custom firmware is available and decent? I love XBMC but happy to give it up for something new.
02:06pm 16/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:06pm 16/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6314 posts
I heard someone throwing on something like couchpotato on it, which can be compiled from source etc and used to automate downloads of linux iso's off newsgroups.

As for how well it works, i'm not sure, so im going to watch this thread to see what people suggest because i'm a bit curious too.

I like xbmc but i've got some issues with it and plugins breaking (thanks youtube plugin breaking ruining stuff like day9 plugin with it)
02:08pm 16/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8704 posts
I use it as is straight out of the box, I have two.

I stream wirelessly from media stored on desktop, no dramas, although I don't have much HD content to really test the wireless reliability. But both media players going and a laptop or two on wireless it works fine.

Getting the networking part set-up can be a little tricky though - but I must confess I'm pretty s*** at networking.

And you need to remember a few tricks like not to turn of the server pc while the WD TV is on, otherwise it can freeze and you need to reconnect and this can sometimes be pita, but otherwise they are great.
02:25pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9855 posts
They are great units. Mine has the custom firmware on it now but I have a popcorn hour to replace it.
Going to sell my ATV2 as well. Never use it.
02:30pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7710 posts
Looking at picking one up this afternoon (WDBGXT0NBK) as my old lappy that was our media PC finally croaked. Anyone have any input on how well it works over wi-fi and what custom firmware is available and decent? I love XBMC but happy to give it up for something new.

Works very well over Wi-Fi N. I can stream 720p Linux iso no worries over WiFi as long as it hasn't been encoded with crazy frame rate you should play without problems. If you have a NAS / Windows shared on your network, you just open the share, put in username/password and off it goes. I've got the QNAP NAS and they work together like a dream. Also you can plug your USB keyboard either wireless or wired into it (or other USB drives) so you can type in your user/pass for WiFi/Share. Save a s*** load of time.

Haven't come across a file that it couldn't play yet. Plus it's easy for the other half to use (+billion points) and also has other cool things like the ABC iView and various other plugins like Facebook etc. It can be slow to load these other services though so just be patient, iView takes a while to load but once it's loaded it played very well on my 50" TV (a bit grainy but very, very watchable). Also if you have logitech universal remote, it's also in the Database so you can basically program your remote to control it as well, use that and the macro now my other half basically never asks me how to turn on the home theatre - +eleventy billion points.

Best $100 I spent on home media centre that I don't have to f*** around with.
03:08pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13273 posts
I've got one Hoggy, is has been super reliable. I run Custom Firmware: As it does help with a couple of minor things. The UI is probably the worst part about it, don't bother with UI 'mods' or anything as they are just a pain in the arse to set-up and keep maintained.

I think the WDTVLIVE can handle only up to 2TB with custom firmware. I think some >2TB drives work, but don't bet on it.

I copy stuff to a 2TB HDD attached to the WDTVLIVE several rooms away, I get about 1.7MB/s, good enough to stream HD media if I want.
03:15pm 16/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5104 posts
Not a fan of my WDtv live hub thing whatever the name is. Having all sorts of issues with it so I'm going to abandon it and today I bought a Roku which has a Plex app for it, on top of being able to get all sorts of other tv channels so look forward to it arriving next week sometime.
03:16pm 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3778 posts
i do same as mission. except it was easy to set up imo. straight out of the box and it worked.

i don't use any custom firmware I'm happy with what it offers.

wifi is excellent, in my house, i use it in the bedroom which is about 12 mtrs down a hall from the router.
03:20pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8413 posts
I've got one for the living room, connected with a Ethernet cord to my computer until I feel like making some form of external storage. I haven't bothered with custom firmware, seems to work perfectly fine out of the box. I just use Serviio to stream.
03:58pm 16/01/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1488 posts
Is the UI better these days?

ATM I'm running XBMC on ATV2, but its a bit slow with Eden and ATV3 isn't jailbroken yet so I wouldn't mind something a bit nicer. Already have PS3/360 but prefer XBMC (PS this is all about streaming from a NAS).
04:38pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
903 posts
I run a WDTV. Only use it for 2 things ... stream movies/tv shows from the NAS and run my Spotify account through the HDMI inputs for the receiver. No drama's.
04:50pm 16/01/13 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1238 posts
I've got an AC Ryan Playon! HD2. Works great.
05:00pm 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3779 posts
Already have PS3/360 but prefer XBMC (PS this is all about streaming from a NAS).

I stream to 360 via WMC and use http://www.mediabrowser.tv/ for metadata and a better look.

Also using media-center-master to sort my s***.
05:01pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1354 posts
I bought one just before Xmas from JB ($116) I've had no issues streaming (over wifi) all my 1080p MKVs from my media centre.
05:23pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13368 posts
Fantastic thanks guys, office works was sold out this arvo but sounds like a goer, especially the wife-proofing, have a logitech remote so all sounds good.
05:37pm 16/01/13 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1701 posts
Waiting for these to be in AU should be $99.

http://www.pivosgroup.com/xios.html
05:43pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13369 posts
hmm any idea on distro date for that exodus?
05:46pm 16/01/13 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3557 posts
i really like them but i hate the build quality of the remote, feels uuber cheap.

i use the wd tv live hub which comes with a 1TB hdd, which i don't use, but the remote is soo much nicer.
06:04pm 16/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8708 posts
i really like them but i hate the build quality of the remote, feels uuber cheap.

Seems about the same to any other remote to me ^dunno
06:11pm 16/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9831 posts

agreed.

..sitting here patiently waiting for someone to post a link to a 99c Android and/or iphone/ipad app that lets me flick my remotes away
08:44pm 16/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10447 posts
Yes everyone here talked me into one and i'm glad they did
wife is watching QI now through the in-built iview app over 54g wifi, smooth as.
09:35pm 16/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8710 posts
..sitting here patiently waiting for someone to post a link to a 99c Android and/or iphone/ipad app that lets me flick my remotes away

There is definitely an android app floating around.

But I dunno what you peeps are on about re the crappy remote. Sure it's not encrusted with diamonds but it's on par with any other remote I have. It is also good enough to operate the media player hidden behind the TV (no direct line of site).
09:43pm 16/01/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8711 posts
errr edit is gay - I meant to say definitely iPhone app, and I assume there's an android app around.
09:44pm 16/01/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8411 posts
Hoggy check out Plex - WiiU supports it.
09:51pm 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3781 posts
Try this koopz

L5 Remote by L5 Technology
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/l5-remote/id368848347?mt=8
09:54pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13371 posts
Hoggy check out Plex - WiiU supports it.
Yeh but I need something to put the plex onto :p

Wait, you're saying I can Plex from my PC to the Wii U?
09:57pm 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3783 posts
Maybe this also Hoggy for your Wii U

http://vidiiustreamer.com/
10:03pm 16/01/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8412 posts

Wait, you're saying I can Plex from my PC to the Wii U?

Yeah, Plex server runs on the PC and you access it through the WiiU web browser.
10:16pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9901 posts
Anyone have any input on how well it works over wi-fi

Well I'd only go so far as ok. But then any wifi with HD content is pushing it.

I wish they would hurry up and add pandora back to the aussie firmware.
10:27pm 16/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5105 posts
I read you can access your library but not play files back on your wii u. Is that true?
10:57pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13372 posts
I read you can access your library but not play files back on your wii u. Is that true?

Just tested it, worked fine. From reading some forum threads, early on in the piece they had some trouble but looks pretty good now! Also awesome that you can playback on gamepad or TV.

Just saved $100 and got a new use for the U. Win. Also Plex has all the meta data download s*** I'm used to in XBMC and looks pretty nice too.
10:58pm 16/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3784 posts
Get one anyway, think of the children! (When they want to play Wii and you want to watch a movie)
11:03pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13373 posts
Get one anyway, think of the children! (When they want to play Wii and you want to watch a movie)

I have a ridiculous number of devices in the house that suddenly turned into Plex screens. This thing is pretty neat.
11:04pm 16/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5106 posts
After some fiddling I got it to work and turns out it works really well! However since this is through the internet browser and not a dedicated app, does anyone know if it uses your internet connection to stream it? Because my remote viewing setting is set to 480p, 1.5mbps and some of my higher quality movies are noticeably artifacted as if they were a 700mb avi. I don't have the fastest internet either so this could be pointless for me if it does use my net.
11:24pm 16/01/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9832 posts
After some fiddling I got it to work and turns out it works really well!

yeah... not wife friendly

:(
12:04am 17/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13374 posts
You have yo set up the streaming quality koopz, I noticed that myself. Its in the settings somewhere.

amazingly even my tbox can see the plex server and playback media!

Seriously, I always thought of Plex as a wanky, latte-sipping Mac version of XBMC. It s**** all over XBMC and doesn't require any Apple hardware or software (except bonjour which is packaged with it).
12:41am 17/01/13 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
3806 posts
Plex is and has been the pinnacle of front & back end media software for years. Been preaching this forever, few listen :(
08:49am 17/01/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5322 posts
Plex back-end is great, however XBMC front end is still the best. The only problem is that you need a beefy computer. Plex works great on the high power NAS drives from Synology and QNAP great idea if you are trying to save money on Power.

Also if you setup http://www.unblock-us.com/ on ya Plex server you will able to receive all the IPTV channels from America
11:42am 17/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13375 posts
I found XBMC playback and UI navigation over wireless unbearable TBH. Also lots of the keyboard bindings just don't make sense to me still after a million years :p
Also if you setup http://www.unblock-us.com/ on ya Plex server you will able to receive all the IPTV channels from America

Came back to post that if this works as advertised then its an awesome resource.
12:26pm 17/01/13 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5116 posts
My Roku 2 XD arrived today and 15 minutes later had it set up with Netflix and a ton of other US based channels I won't be using for now. Couldn't be happier with it and really recommend it for the $78 it cost on amazon. Including my unblock.us account and netflix it costs me about $13 a month which i'm more than happy to pay. Comes with a plex app on the channel store which is a free install and works great so no complaints there either. Also very happy that even with my not so great internet netflix works without problems, though it does start off a bit fuzzy at first but it clears up to dvd quality after a minute or 2. Highly recommend this little box.
11:31pm 22/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36683 posts
So there was a new update to the WD TV recently which adds support for a mobile app (Android and I think iOS). The app is pretty good; you can do keyboard input and control video play pretty easily - certainly better than with the other remote for keyboard input.

I find using it as a normal remote control not that good though because you have to look at the phone screen to see what you're pressing, as opposed to the real remote which you can sort of use without looking at it because of the extruded buttons.
09:36am 23/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13387 posts
Since this is still going figured I'd update!

Didn't bother with the WDTV in the end as the Plex server happily streams to my TBox, Wii U (playback on gamepad is nice!), and iPad, and when I get a Win8 hybrid tablet it will work there too, the Metro app is quite nice. I literally wouldn't have anything to plug it into if I had bought one now :)
10:37am 23/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:37am 23/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.