We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Origin vs Maingear Gaming Laptop Help!
Queestce
Brisbane, Queensland
5 posts
G'day all,

First post! Sorry, yes, it's both a help thread and about a laptop for gaming... I realise such a thing is exorbitantly expensive and many people seem to reply to these threads with no info other than "you know you can buy a desktop with those specs for 1/4 the cost". But I'm in a situation which dictates that I cannot have a full desktop setup, and need something "portable". Obviously a 17" laptop isn't too trim, but it's a lot easier to move around than a full desktop. Anyway, the problem remains...

I was fairly keen to go ahead and buy an Origin EOS17-SLX but have just come across the Maingear Nomad 17 and am now considering going for that instead; mainly due to the price. For a much better spec'd build the Maingear is cheaper than the SLX (pretty comparable to the 17-S). I just wondered if anyone on here had any further info on either of the machines/companies and reasons one might be better than the other? They are both pretty ugly, generic cases, but the only real advantages I can see of the SLX is the programmable keyboard led's (wank factor) and the clickable trackpad. I suppose the ability to fit run two GPU's could also be handy, but if I want to upgrade I'm hoping it won't be until a much more powerful single GPU is on the market anyway. In any case if anyone has any pointers or advice on any of the Maingear/Origin machines I'd love to hear em!

Cheers all,

Tk
06:05pm 09/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:05pm 09/01/13 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1354 posts
I've never heard of Origin or Maingear so I dont have anything to offer there.

dunno if it helps, but there was a thread about gaming laptops posted just the other day
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/3265550
06:23pm 09/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34908 posts
id just buy a name brand laptop myself, would work out cheaper and probably easier to support.
08:16am 10/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:16am 10/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.