We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Recommend me a Modem Router!
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
167 posts
Linksys just died on me. Back to the 2wire one Telstra sent me when I first signed up with them a few years back.

My network consists of:

1 Desktop PC (mine) soon to be 2.
1 Macbook (wife's)
1 iPad, wife's but mostly used by the little one, or me to browse forums in bed at night.
1 DS, which is almost entirely used by the little one and usually has the wifi disabled.

So I am quite happy at the moment with my 2wire as it has the only thing I need, an ethernet port :D

The wife has started a new job and is needing to use the net frequently as the showroom she's working for won't be opened for another week or so, which means she's at me to use the net. Needless to say this cuts into my Diablo 3 time considerably, and she's beginning to become less and less happy with my suggestion of going to maccas and leaching their wifi.

I'm about 5.3km cable length from the exchange so I don't need anything to amazing, just something to tide use over.

Recommend away!
10:53am 28/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:53am 28/06/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9444 posts
I've had a TP-Link wireless router for a couple of years but I don't think I can recommend them. They're cheap and they're China's top brand, but since I've been using the wireless I've had problems with it dropping out. I'm using a TP-Link wireless adapter and I'm only a few meters from the router. I must say however that the internet connection has been rock solid, so my problems may just be to do with the way I've got it configured. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to wireless.

But if I were you I'd go with a reputable brand like Billion or Netgear.
11:03am 28/06/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
226 posts
I've had good results from the Billion BiPac 7800n.
11:05am 28/06/12 Permalink
eXemplar
Brisbane, Queensland
2761 posts
I've got a fritzbox and the thing hasn't missed a beat.
11:12am 28/06/12 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1493 posts
I recommend the Billion 7800N. The common options are simple as hell to use, faster speed than the others (SNR options) and it's uptime is 100% under some pretty decent load
11:26am 28/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5427 posts
My only advice is stay the hell away from anything Netgear. Both for cards and routers.

Checkout the whirlpool knowledge database: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/ADSL_Modem_and_Router_Reviews
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/Cheapest_Modem
11:33am 28/06/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9447 posts
I had two Netgear cards for years and they were fine. More info plz greazy.
11:35am 28/06/12 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
168 posts
I was looking at a 7800n but thought they wern't out yet.

My first modem router was a billion, cheapest thing available years ago and was rock solid.

I was having a browse through whirlpool last night Greazy, but they were all adamant that everyone should run a modem solely as a modem then invest in a router to manage all the traffic. I'll probably end up doing that, but in the meantime I just need the family off my back :P

Thanks for the advice friends.
11:52am 28/06/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4047 posts
Have recommended a few friends the cheapest NetGear modem router, its around $100 . Does the job.
12:03pm 28/06/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9675 posts
My only advice is stay the hell away from anything Netgear. Both for cards and routers.

Checkout the whirlpool knowledge database: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/ADSL_Modem_and_Router_Reviews
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/Cheapest_Modem

I noticed that Oz Cable guy was linked amongst those links. Not many poor reviews there.

I'm a fan of the DGND3700.. though the 3500 is much cheaper and just as good.

The 3700 was a great ADSL modem, and when we moved house I just plugged the new Bigpond cable into the uplink port (once I figured out the DMZ setting in the Bigpond modem).

*edit* Oh... poor IPV6 support though

last edited by koopz at 12:09:28 28/Jun/12
12:07pm 28/06/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5430 posts
I had two Netgear cards for years and they were fine. More info plz greazy.
I bought three when I was living with my family and I had a lot of problems with picking up the netgear router. The biggest annoyance was that it would pick it up but not connect fully and just sit at 1Mbps and required a whole bunch of f*****y. The router would require a restart every now and then for no reason. The firmware on the router wasn't that great and the software/firmware for the cards were terrible.

I wish I had kept that Linksys router when I bought it.

My advice is pay a bit more to get something decent, especially routers that let you limit certain IPs and maybe allows you to boost the signal.
12:19pm 28/06/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4963 posts
Depends on how much you want to spend.
If you want cheap i recommend TP link
If you want under $150 i choose Billion 7800N - gigabit LAN and broadcom chipset which means sync higher then some of the other billions.
If you got money to spend and what i recommend is Frtizbox can sync about 3mb higher then my Billion 7404vnx
Frizbox has voip and also its own dect phone gigabit lan and WAN ports, 2 usb ports for hdd and 3g connection. does QOS very good and can have separate Wifi hotspots for vistors. also supports 2.4 and 5ghz range for your apple to get better rates
12:35pm 28/06/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1101 posts
I've got a fritzbox and the thing hasn't missed a beat.

If you got money to spend and what i recommend is Frtizbox...

+1 Fritzbox FTW.

they are a tad dearer than their competition, but it's for good reason.
I bought a fritzbox 7390, and after identifying how easy it was to set up (and configure/reconfigure etc etc) I immediately dropped the cash on a 'FritzFon'.

A-mazing hardware with a very easy to use interface (it's a little strange to begin with, but it seriously works).
S***, the handset warns me when there's new firmware out (for the router or the handset) and asks if I'd like to install it!

My justification (for the $360-70 combination of Modem/Router + Handset) is that it'll see me through well and truly for the next 3-5 years at least. Maybe by then there'll be better units for NBN speeds etc, but for now I'm happy.

Also, if you're an Internode customer, you can sign on for two years with them, and they'll mail you a Fritzbox as a part of the deal.
12:48pm 28/06/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9777 posts
Airport Extreme - awesome!!
10:14pm 28/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9020 posts
rather thatn make a new thread, did anyone see this in the Fin ?

With the national broadband network project already running eight to 12 months behind schedule, revelations this week that most Australian households are set to be hooked on copper until the end of this decade again raise disturbing questions about the value of the NBN. In deciding to go ahead with the network, the government steadfastly refused to conduct a cost-benefit analysis despite being repeatedly and publicly warned that such an analysis should be done.

In any case there is a real risk that this expensive network might easily be overtaken by technical breakthroughs, notably in wireless technology, with that risk increasing the longer the network is delayed. A decade is a long time in the digital age.

http://www.afr.com/p/opinion/nbn_delay_will_crimp_returns_pNyvMEDxPSBjOFtpfbDSSJ

Will the NBN turn out to be Labors Mother of all Fails ?

10:34pm 28/06/12 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
169 posts
Thanks for all the advice.

The Fritzbox has got a lot of love, everywhere it's mentioned people can't talk it up enough. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my wife that an extra $100 + was worth it for "a red one".

I decided on the 7800N, picked it up an hour ago and the interface on it is beautiful. Reminds me of my old Billion (RIP). It's also syncing better, upstream is a 30% improvement alone over the Linksys and 2wire.

She's a plump unit, and so far I'm wrapped.
12:41pm 30/06/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9835 posts
well done on the 7800N, the fritzbox comes with s*** you won't need, not worth it.
01:04pm 30/06/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9679 posts
In deciding to go ahead with the network, the government steadfastly refused to conduct a cost-benefit analysis despite being repeatedly and publicly warned that such an analysis should be done.

show me an 'independant' who's willing to perform this that isn't in Telstra's pocket somehow.

This is Australia dude - it's not exactly a secret that one certain ISP wants to try an continue to monopolise the market again. Their future depends on it.

I did more Telstra Fiber install support visits this Fin year than I did 3/4G support.

I prefer talking to the Telstra girls on the Gold Coast than randoms overseas.

last edited by koopz at 21:25:21 30/Jun/12
09:23pm 30/06/12 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1494 posts
Well done on the 7800N

Be well aware of the secret menu: http://192.168.1.254/snr.html

You want an SNR margin (downstream) higher than 5.9, then your connection should be stable and at it's fastest.

More discussion here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1567481

I increased my speed by about 30% via this method.
01:18am 01/07/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33950 posts
Airport Extreme - awesome!

lulz
08:42am 01/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:42am 01/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.