AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
signs of monitor dying
Jerry
Queensland
4160 posts
i've got an asus 22" lcd monitor here which was purchased mid 2008 (so almost 4yrs old and out of warranty)

About 2yrs ago if it was in standby (i.e. windows set to turn monitors off after 15min) it started not turning on when moving mouse & other monitors turned on (since then have had to press power button to turn it off fully, then back on - after other monitors were active and not in standby). This seems to be directly related to that monitor after testing with multiple videocards and pcs. Its monitor #3 (eyefinity) used as required so i'm not too fussed about this.

Now when I turn it on all the corners are lighted more brightly than the rest of the screen for about 5 minutes before the lighting evens out.

Are these signs of it maybe heading for death?

11:41am 27/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:41am 27/05/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33766 posts
yer, my old chimei would do that too, before it finally refused to come on at all.

at first it was just power on and off and it would be ok

then you had to pull the plug and it would come good

then it was pull the plug, leave it for a bit

in the end i was unplugging the monitor at the back of the video card and plugging it back in and it still dint work half the time, so it went out in the street
11:47am 27/05/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2819 posts
time to go to umart for a cheap $150 monitor
12:11pm 27/05/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2628 posts
Are these signs of it maybe heading for death?

If I had to play around with something for it to work the way it should I'd already call it dead, but it does sound like it's in it's death throws. The light issue sounds like what you tend to get when a CFL gets old, it may still last a while like that though.

Is it a 1080p monitor? You might have trouble finding a replacement if it isn't, not many monitors left at the old 1680x1050 resolution.
12:27pm 27/05/12 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3726 posts
I have a BENQ that has always done this. Been going strong for about 6 years still.
12:34pm 27/05/12 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
515 posts
I have a BENQ that has always done this. Been going strong for about 6 years still.

This... I still have my 1st ever 15" Benq LCD kickin around and it works great. I'm using 2 x 22" Benq's now which have been going strong for about 5 years.
12:43pm 27/05/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4161 posts
You might have trouble finding a replacement if it isn't, not many monitors left at the old 1680x1050 resolution.
yeah its a 1680x1050 one.. other two monitors are 24" 1920x1080 though so it's not going to be an issue if i cant get the same res on a replacement

yeah will have to have a good read of the monitor recommend thread.. may consider 27" or something with display port though
12:44pm 27/05/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19968 posts
yer, my old chimei would do that too, before it finally refused to come on at all.

at first it was just power on and off and it would be ok

then you had to pull the plug and it would come good

then it was pull the plug, leave it for a bit

in the end i was unplugging the monitor at the back of the video card and plugging it back in and it still dint work half the time, so it went out in the street

Sounds like my asus monitor, it did that from the day I bought it. I solved the problem by just never turning it off. I was going to take it back but I could never consistently recreate the issue so I doubt the store would give me a refund or exchange if they plugged it in and it suddenly just worked. Turned out ok though because as long as I never turn it off using its power button, its fine.
12:59pm 27/05/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2013 posts
had the same troubles with a samsung 22inch bought in 2006.

would flicker like crazy when turning on and backlight would take ages to come to full brightness. eventually refused to turn on with light flashing fast. tis dead now.
04:57pm 27/05/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1028 posts
i've got an asus...

I found your problem.

Spend some cash on the items you wish to use. You don't have to spend ludicrous money, but if you're going to be staring at the monitors you choose for long hours... it's worth waiting an extra month or two to get a better model (imo).

OR you can get the 23" Dell Ultrasharp for ~$230 on a good day, which is likely to take a massive s*** all over what's likely to come out of umart at the same price.
05:31pm 27/05/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4177 posts
I think it's happened now..

Just having a look through altechs current monitor range - they have this AOC brand with 23" IPS monitor for $170~

Has anyone tried AOC? their IPS screens in particular?

I read that the transition between TN and IPS has a mid-range IPS called Budget-IPS which i'm assuming is referring to something like above.

I would like to go IPS but after using a Dell U2410W IPS for a few weeks at work, I can't see the extra $300 added value for an IPS dell (doesnt look any different to a $150 screen benq i have sitting next to it)

I'm just deciding between any of the TN samsungs around the <$200 mark, the IPS AOC mentioned above or another Asus. Not going to buy another monitor for umart because they are a******* wrt honoring dead pixel warranties.

last edited by Jerry at 17:12:04 10/Jun/12
05:10pm 10/06/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7048 posts
I would like to go IPS but after using a Dell U2410W IPS for a few weeks at work, I can't see the extra $300 added value for an IPS dell

The U2410 is probably overkill as you're paying for the good colour reproduction that might be unnecessary for your needs. There's the more budget Dell U2412M IPS monitor that you can pick up for $339 (after discount code) - you get the full 1920x1200 resolution, full height/tilt/rotation adjustment, proper warranty from Dell.

I'm typing in front of one right now, bloody fantastic. But up to you, if you want to save a few bucks with a Yum Cha brand go right ahead - but I'll be waiting for another monitor thread from you soon :)
doesnt look any different to a $150 screen benq i have sitting next to it)

Probably because it's not configured properly.
05:31pm 10/06/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20031 posts
My brother has an AOC monitor, I don't think it's an IPS screen though. It's quite awesome in terms of picture display, good viewing angles too.
05:41pm 10/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:41pm 10/06/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close