Grab yourself a beta key for World of Warcraft's fifth expansion right here!
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Beta Giveaway
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
nVidia 3D glasses now wired
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10189 posts
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6418/3dvisionwired7580x307.jpg

Source: nVidia press release

I'm mad keen on 3D but don't have anything at home other than some dodgy anaglyph glasses which distort colour terribly making them basically unusuable (although the effect is good).

I appreciate the new 3D TV's and also nVidia's stronger recent push into gaming 3D again (many companies have tried).

I was excited to see this news. I like the option of wired, and the wire is more than long enough. Would prefer it over batteries at any rate. I guess you'd just have the problem you have with safety hearing and eyewear protection now - you would struggle to wear these and headphones at the same time.

The media release is pretty much cut-and-paste from the wireless version so I guess the feature set is the same.

I was a bit suprised at the difference in price between these and the wireless glasses - only $20 from $119 to $99.

For those with access to 3D this site has some good things on it: http://www.3dvisionlive.com/
07:23pm 30/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:23pm 30/05/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33739 posts
I was gonna post this but am waiting for a response from nvidia to find out if their price will be the same in .au as the US price
07:32pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10190 posts
I was gonna post this but am waiting for a response from nvidia to find out if their price will be the same in .au as the US price

Yeah right. Well with the AU dollar like it is you'd just hit up Matchfixah for a group-buy surely :P
07:39pm 30/05/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33740 posts
I tried those glasses out at GDC btw. They're pretty good. I still haven't bought into the whole 3d thing - it certainly wasn't good enough to make me go out of my way for it. But if I could get 3d w/ my existing hardware - sooner or later I think all PC hardware will just be natively 3d compatible - for a $99 spend on glasses, I might posssssssssssssssibly be tempted. But probably not cuz 3d's a scam
07:52pm 30/05/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2848 posts
Shame I don't have a nvidia card or a 3d tv because I would like to try a game once with that on. Duke Forever in 3D would be great. imagine all that 3D poo flinging action!
08:11pm 30/05/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14556 posts
These were wired back in the TNT-II Days... AMAZING!
08:18pm 30/05/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2849 posts
Hey I just realised that my 6990 can do 3D. Only you have to provide your own glasses. Anyone know what kinds are compatible and where you can get them? May seriously look into getting a 3D monitor and will just keep it along side my sony tv.
08:24pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1852 posts
Any nVidia card in the more recent releases can do 3D. I think it came about with the 200 series. Not sure. I just remember the biggest game to do it was WoW.
08:41pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18565 posts
These were wired back in the TNT-II Days... AMAZING!

I still have mine
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/computers/IMG_4062.jpg
09:09pm 30/05/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9376 posts
still have my Asus GF3 Deluxe 3D Glasses in a box under the house.

It's a bugger this tech didn't won't take off...

someone make a Mac only addon to a popular FPS game on the platform and kick it off properly

last edited by koopz at 21:16:48 30/May/11
09:15pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10191 posts
Thing about making games 3D compatible is that it takes bugger all work. It's just a question of doing two transformations in the projection phase and putting one to one frame then one to the next. The shutter on one eye closes so you see one frame, then it opens, shuts the other eye and you see the other frame - bam! 3D. Hence the need for 120Hz monitors.

The main problem with games and supporting 3D is really the HUD and menus. They just don't seem to consider how that is rendered in the pipeline not to affect the 3D.

The tech will take off, unlike back in the Voodoo days, because now we have suitably fast refresh rate which we did not have back then.

I totally think the 3D effect is worth it. I don't think it's gimmicky at all for gaming.
09:27pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5747 posts
Yeah right. Well with the AU dollar like it is you'd just hit up Matchfixah for a group-buy surely :P
I'm about to put you on group buy pinky, and for dirt cheap!
09:42pm 30/05/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
14557 posts
I still have mine
yep that's the set, mate had a pair and we gave him s*** for them, dubed them the "leet glasses"
09:46pm 30/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18570 posts
Thing about making games 3D compatible is that it takes bugger all work. It's just a question of doing two transformations in the projection phase and putting one to one frame then one to the next. The shutter on one eye closes so you see one frame, then it opens, shuts the other eye and you see the other frame - bam! 3D. Hence the need for 120Hz monitors.

The main problem with games and supporting 3D is really the HUD and menus. They just don't seem to consider how that is rendered in the pipeline not to affect the 3D.

The tech will take off, unlike back in the Voodoo days, because now we have suitably fast refresh rate which we did not have back then.

I totally think the 3D effect is worth it. I don't think it's gimmicky at all for gaming.

I can't remember for sure but I think back then it was all in the video driver wasn't it? I don't remember whether the games had to be specially coded for 3d or whether it was all done via the nvidia driver. Hmm I should take these glasses to work & chuck quake 3 on there (work pc is where my old gf2gts is).
09:53pm 30/05/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3752 posts
I can't remember for sure but I think back then it was all in the video driver wasn't it? I don't remember whether the games had to be specially coded for 3d or whether it was all done via the nvidia driver. Hmm I should take these glasses to work & chuck quake 3 on there (work pc is where my old gf2gts is).

haha, well these days, since the 8000 series of nvidia cards, the driver has had the option of being 3d, you just need to enable it in the nvidia driver, and have the correct hardware.

Hell if you don't, you can still get some cellophane and cut out some red and blue pieces, stick them to your face with tape, and then enable that style. Tried it a while back, pretty funny results. (yes there is actually a red/blue 3d effect which works, obvs not as well as the real stereoscopic).
11:32pm 30/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:32pm 30/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close