Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Mouse settings help for FPS
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2050 posts
hey team QGL, extremely noob PC gamer question but I'm sure you'll help me in the interest of converting.

Most of you will be pleased to know that I've recently been dabbling in PC gaming having been a console fan for a while (Xbox 360).

I love my FPS and recently grabbed ARMA 2. I also have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (love those Steam sales)

However I'm having some trouble understanding mouse settings and terminology in how to get the best combo. I have a Razer Naga. It works ok on STALKER but is to "quick" on ARMA, as in moving it left to right i can't get a good aim as it seems to go very quickly between points and throws me off a bit. i "over shoot" where i'm supposed to be aiming and generally find it hard to steady.

the mouse has it's own settings and then there are in game settings. so i'm confused as to how to make these work together and get the best set up.

So what do these mean and how do they apply and what combo should i use?
for my Raza settings in it's control panel default are
DPI (current default is 1800)
Acceleration = 5 but "Enable Acceleration" is unchecked)
"Enable on the fly sensitivity" is checked
Polling rate = 500

and then i've got the X and Y axis and smoothing in game settings?

so how does all this come together?
07:39pm 29/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:39pm 29/05/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
433 posts
I have a logitech G9 something but i hope this helps.

My game setting is 1000DPI (i find higher too sensitive), with sensitivity set to Max in the device settings, acceleration off and polling 1000. In games, the sensitivity will vary but normally its about 10-30% of the games in-game sensitivity which i use to finetune. I dont change sensitivity on the fly but try to maintain a similar level of sensitivity between my games which are mainly FPS.

Try and find a good windows setting, then customise your ingame setting to tweak individual games. Set DPI lower if you find your mouse is just too touchy. I prefer lower DPI and high sensitivity but dunno how the opposite would go.

Im certainly noob when it comes to mouse settings though. Ive stuck with the same logitech settings for years.
07:47pm 29/05/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1392 posts
Sounds like mouse smoothing in Arma 2 I suggest turning off, it will be in the controls section. Also the aiming dead zone (game options) if you like.
07:54pm 29/05/11 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
259 posts
Mouse control sucks balls in ARMA.

google mouse acceleration and learn how to turn it off every where. You will get better mouse skillz
08:27pm 29/05/11 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
6040 posts
Turn off acceleration, also turn off any smoothing (that averages movement out i believe).

I like to turn DPI to max then just turn down sensitivity...

That's about it really, unless you want to get all technical and have different X and Y sensitivities but that would be pretty odd!

I also use inverted mouse but it's just a personal option, I think I picked it up from flight sims or something so that's just how my brain works.
08:57pm 29/05/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2051 posts
ok. thanks so far I'll try a few of those options.
09:08pm 29/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18560 posts
I leave windows settings where I like them for navigation in windows, and change each game accordingly. That way I'm not constantly having to swap settings in windows before I play a game.

I like to turn DPI to max then just turn down sensitivity...

I leave mine on the middle setting because I like to turn it to the max setting in the game for certain things. Example: In MW2 I aim using the middle DPI setting, then for aiming predator missiles I crank it for quicker aim since my sensitivity is quite low and the pred missile comes in quite fast.

Mouse control sucks balls in ARMA.

Have to admit, the demo I played of arma (maybe arma 2) felt really laggy to me, move the mouse and the movement on screen lagged behind. I don't know whether my PC was just insufficient to play it, or whether it was the game though so your mileage may vary.
09:11pm 29/05/11 Permalink
ctd
UK
9495 posts
Make sure "enhance pointer precision" in Contarrl Panel >> Mouse Settings >> Pointer Options tab is unchecked. CPL mouse fix you'll be pro in no time.

Do what whoop says. Get your Windaz mouse settings how you like it and leave it then adjust the mouse settings in each game because all games have different options and shizzle.

As for adjusting sensitivity on the fly - thats just up to personal preference.
09:36pm 29/05/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1844 posts
Got a Coolermaster Sentinel Advanced here, has PSI at 1100 and it seems comfortable enough for FPS's. I've tried 2000 PSI and it feels extremely touchy. Just gotta experiment and see what your comfortable with.
10:10pm 29/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:10pm 29/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.