AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
New cpu cooler tech?
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
439 posts
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20066890-1/nasa-to-demonstrate-super-cool-cooling-technology/?tag=cnetRiver

in brief nasa as a cool new pump that super cool one side, much like a pelter but far more hard core and faster,

not all that much info about it, but a promising step
09:02pm 28/05/11 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
09:02pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18555 posts
dumb question but since it's so cold in space, or so I'm lead to believe, would you require a heat sink on your computer in space?
10:05pm 28/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
442 posts
i guess it would depend on where the computer is, outside will all those pesky bits of dirt and mirco meteors, or inside the crew cabin, no even sure about the dynamics of heat dispersal in zero g

at the end of the day i guess this will be lighter and smaller than 1kg of copper and six fans for a mega overclocked cpu or having a fire engine pump for a water cooler

so lighter and uses less power for better cooling, got to be a win, and just think if the battery cooling that could happen, smart phones the rock i7 type power, and under 300grams (massive pipe dream, but no doubt the power might be here with in 10 years)
10:12pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1734 posts
depends where you are in space.. if you are in the shadow of the moon for example its very cold and during 'day' on the moon its very hot(i cant remember the temps and cbf searching) it also depends on how far away you are from a star.
10:15pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18557 posts
i guess it would depend on where the computer is, outside will all those pesky bits of dirt and mirco meteors, or inside the crew cabin, no even sure about the dynamics of heat dispersal in zero g

at the end of the day i guess this will be lighter and smaller than 1kg of copper and six fans for a mega overclocked cpu or having a fire engine pump for a water cooler

so lighter and uses less power for better cooling, got to be a win, and just think if the battery cooling that could happen, smart phones the rock i7 type power, and under 300grams (massive pipe dream, but no doubt the power might be here with in 10 years)

Don't the laws of physics say you can't create or destroy energy, just move it around? So the colder you get the CPU, there's going to be something, somewhere that gets hotter. Right?
10:24pm 28/05/11 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
63 posts
It's very, very difficult to cool things in space due to it being a vacuum. Without an atmosphere to transfer heat to you're only left with radiation which isn't as efficient. Though radiation works better in a vacuum compared to an atmosphere, it still isn't enough to close the gap between the two.
10:47pm 28/05/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10182 posts
Don't the laws of physics say you can't create or destroy energy, just move it around? So the colder you get the CPU, there's going to be something, somewhere that gets hotter. Right?

Yep. Right. Conservation of Energy.

Good question about cooling in space though. I don't know the answer.
08:46pm 29/05/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9664 posts
The answer is that its very cold in space, but there's also not a lot of conductive material so hot stuff stays hot for quite a while even though the temperature delta may be pretty high.
09:34pm 29/05/11 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
09:34pm 29/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks