We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Good quality micro USB phone chargers?
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33691 posts
Anyone have any recommendations? My Nokia one that I've been using on my Nexus One mysteriously no longer works unless I hold it in place at a weird angle (though it works perfectly when plugged into the N1 dock).

I went to Harveys and could only find some branded one which was $40 (haha) but I can see lots of them online for a fraction of the price so just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent .au online place that won't shaft me on price.
04:14pm 23/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:14pm 23/05/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6959 posts
I left mine in Brissie so just went to the local computer shop (CentreCom) and bought a micro-USB cable that I plug into the PC.
04:18pm 23/05/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33692 posts
I left mine in Brissie so just went to the local computer shop (CentreCom) and bought a micro-USB cable that I plug into the PC.
Yeh I have that, but they seem to charge WAY slower than when I have it plugged into a wall socket.
04:22pm 23/05/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1719 posts
Just get an ipod charger and plug in a micro USB instead of the Apple cable? You can get them for about $20 from JB and probably a lot cheaper from Ebay, either that or surely someone you know has a spare.
04:27pm 23/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
329 posts
get a universal jobbie, wall plug with a usb plug in it (like the ipod wall chargers)

then any old cable will do the trick

(something i've done as i have a mix of mini usb and micro usb chargeable devices)
04:28pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5431 posts
trog, DealExtreme.
And while you're at it, get yourself a couple of microUSB to USB A male cables, so you can leave it on charge when it's sitting at your desk.
04:29pm 23/05/11 Permalink
BladeHunter
Sydney, New South Wales
4569 posts
Anyone have any recommendations? My Nokia one that I've been using on my Nexus One mysteriously no longer works unless I hold it in place at a weird angle (though it works perfectly when plugged into the N1 dock). I went to Harveys and could only find some branded one which was $40 (haha) but I can see lots of them online for a fraction of the price so just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent .au online place that won't shaft me on price.

Check you have not bent one of the pins in the phone, It rendered one of my old BB's unable to charge without some serious loving on the cable.
04:39pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7172 posts
If you can get a hold of BB Bold 9000 and up charger, you just need to swap the cable to micro USB. Works just fine.
04:51pm 23/05/11 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
570 posts
I noticed that Gigabyte are marketing USB ports that can keep charging USB devices when they're off, and also deliver more current than normal (for charging said devices at a higher rate). I assume that means that all the manufacturers will work on (or already have) similar tech.
04:56pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
865 posts
blah: I have a Gigabyte motherboard that a few years old now (maybe 3 yrs...) that charges my usb connected devices when my computer is turned off.
05:55pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18517 posts
Just go to d*** smith or jaycar & get a 1-2A USB power supply thing. Some of them are even branded as phone chargers & come with an assortment of connectors for sony, apple, motorola etc.

I noticed that Gigabyte are marketing USB ports that can keep charging USB devices when they're off, and also deliver more current than normal (for charging said devices at a higher rate). I assume that means that all the manufacturers will work on (or already have) similar tech.

Asus have had that feature for years, close a jumper and it keeps power to the usb ports even when the computer is off so you can use a usb mouse/keyboard to wake the computer up.
05:59pm 23/05/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6962 posts
I noticed with my PC it keeps charging after I turn it off, it's a Gigabyte from memory.
06:08pm 23/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7243 posts
http://www.celltechonline.com/

i work for these guys and they are reasonably priced and have good products.

all the new ac and car adapters are turning into usb so u can just change the cable to iphone, nokia etc without having to have 2+ ac/car adapters.

last edited by Sc00bs at 18:53:56 23/May/11
06:49pm 23/05/11 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1015 posts
be careful with usb cables - some are charge only, others are charge & data. my charge only cable can charge to full in about an hour. the charge & data cables are a lot slower at charging (4/5 hours full charge)
07:40pm 23/05/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3726 posts
blah: I have a Gigabyte motherboard that a few years old now (maybe 3 yrs...) that charges my usb connected devices when my computer is turned off.

Yeah same, and that was in the p35 era. Before people cared.
07:54pm 23/05/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3558 posts
Trog check your PM's
08:00pm 23/05/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6246 posts
be careful with usb cables - some are charge only, others are charge & data. my charge only cable can charge to full in about an hour. the charge & data cables are a lot slower at charging (4/5 hours full charge)

It doesn't work like that.

The maximum you can draw from a High-speed data port is 900mA, given the PC recognises the device. The typical maximum for a charge-only port is 1.8A. However that assumes your charger and cable are both configured to present the correct D+ and D- voltages to the device you want to charge, for maximum charging current - and these specific voltages are different for different devices and manufacturers.

A charge-only cable may short or isolate the D+ and D- lines - that might be great for some devices that expect that, but for others that expect arbitrary voltages (e.g. iPhone with 2.8V/2.0V on the D+/D lines), you'll actually charge at a pretty damn low rate.

Summary: different devices respond differently to different chargers and cables.
08:28pm 23/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:28pm 23/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.