Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Need help With Buying a new laptop!!
tashy
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Need help With Buying a new laptop!!
Been looking for a laptop for over a month now. I ended up finding one but had it for a week and had to send it back due to faulty hard drive. I just seem to have bad luck with anything electrical. And any laptop i seem to find is a display model or been discontinued.
Wanting a laptop between $700 - $1000. 500 GB hard drive
, I5 and somewhat good graphics. For a bit of gaming and browsing.
Please Help!!!!! =)
01:58pm 18/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:58pm 18/05/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33661 posts
Anything made by Dell.

Coincidentally, I have a 7% off voucher for Dell hardware (for less than $1000 purchases); or 10% off if you spend between $1k and $2k
02:20pm 18/05/11 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
926 posts
I used this website for my laptop purchase.. delivered to my door in Ipswich.

https://www.mln.com.au/

I wouldn't buy an ASUS laptop again.. even though it's still working it makes all sorts of weird noises and freezes after leaving it idle for a while etc.
02:29pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2687 posts
Real men use desktops.
02:31pm 18/05/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7590 posts
^ I always though you were a chick?
02:32pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2688 posts
I wish, it would make my statement even more irrelevant.
02:34pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Caveboy
Brisbane, Queensland
132 posts
Shame you didnt ask last week. While a little over your budget Dell had 30% of the XPS range.
02:35pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Matt
Brisbane, Queensland
928 posts
I bought an Acer laptop from newegg for US$700 and it's been awesome, incredible bang for buck. I live in the US but you may be able to get the same model for a similar price in Aus (HA!). Build quality isn't great, it can get hot when gaming and eventually you'll want to get a faster hard drive. However, for the price it can't be beat. I have a kick-arse Zalman cooler which keeps my laptop cool when playing games.

Acer Aspire AS5742G-6600 Notebook Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/ NVIDIA Optimus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115987
02:41pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
568 posts
delivered to my door in Ipswich.

And it didn't get stolen? :P ...
02:43pm 18/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
279 posts
+1 dell, there are a few different models that might suit, just hit the website,
02:44pm 18/05/11 Permalink
tashy
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts
Real men use desktops.

well im not a man lol and i got a desktop
02:55pm 18/05/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
7706 posts
pics tashy?
02:58pm 18/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
280 posts
thermite loves a good desktop piccie
03:06pm 18/05/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3671 posts
Anything made by Dell.

Coincidentally, I have a 7% off voucher for Dell hardware (for less than $1000 purchases); or 10% off if you spend between $1k and $2k

My dell has problems relating to the powersupply and battery. There's no good solution other than 120 dollar replacements on both, 240 in total.

Another friend has a dell who's had the motherboard replaced twice and the bios flashed 3 times and still has issues, it's under warranty, but not for much longer. It crashes when it overheats. Dell told him to buy a cooler-pad, but then it still crashes.

The same friend has had trouble with his dell portable netbook like thing which has power issues like the dell laptop I've had, where it no longer recognizes the battery. But I believe a workaround fixed that.

However, my asus laptop lasted 4 years, and then I on-sold it for 150 dollars to a family member (was some 2.0ghz dualcore).

Another friends asus also has never had trouble.

Never had an asus have trouble. But then again I've in total dealt with less asus laptops than dell ones.

Overall: Every laptop has trouble, and if you get a dell with trouble then make sure you chase them up religiously and quickly. Otherwise your warranty might expire before the fix actually happens.
03:12pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2691 posts
well im not a man lol and i got a desktop

Oh then you're good, I was just in a round-about way inquiring whether you had a (superior) desktop as I like to ensure people get the pure computer experience. (none of these newfangled portable computers for me no-sir)
03:20pm 18/05/11 Permalink
tashy
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts
Oh then you're good, I was just in a round-about way inquiring whether you had a (superior) desktop as I like to ensure people get the pure computer experience. (none of these newfangled portable computers for me no-sir)

lol =) but u still didnt help me with a laptop
03:21pm 18/05/11 Permalink
tashy
Sydney, New South Wales
5 posts
toshiba any good ??
03:23pm 18/05/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7591 posts
I hate desktops so i got rid of it - mainly beacuase it was in the sun room off our bedroom and the kids would always be in there.... grrrr

We have now had laptops only for a year or so until Sunday when one of our kiddies won a new HP Desktop computer package (box + 22" asus lcd + hp photo printer and software) in the School fete raffle!

Now we have a desktop all over again :(

last edited by mission at 15:29:15 18/May/11
03:24pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2693 posts
I didn't not help either.
03:25pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
2966 posts
toshiba any good ??

They used to be, but not anymore. The one I got was an absolute nightmare, never worked and I eventually got my money back on it. Replaced it with a dell, which was excellent.

For your price range though, you're going to struggle for gaming I think... could be wrong.
04:34pm 18/05/11 Permalink
tashy
Sydney, New South Wales
16 posts
They used to be, but not anymore. The one I got was an absolute nightmare, never worked and I eventually got my money back on it. Replaced it with a dell, which was excellent. For your price range though, you're going to struggle for gaming I think... could be wrong.

not going to do to much gaming just a few rpgs or something small. i do most of my gaimng on xbox
04:54pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
369 posts
Toshiba or asus around 2k will do you heaps of good
06:15pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9393 posts
Dell make s*** but it's cheap and suprisingly runs pretty quick but get an Apple :)
06:36pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
2630 posts
Dell make s*** but it's cheap and suprisingly runs pretty cheap but get an Apple :)

If you are dumb enough to believe this then yes, buy an apple!
06:38pm 18/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18473 posts
toshiba any good ??

last toshiba I got was s***, fingerprint reader stopped working a week after I got it, web cam never worked, dead pixel in the screen a couple of days after I got it, crashes like you wouldn't believe even when just in windows. Put ubuntu on it and it's golden (so ha ha whoever said it's the power supply, it's DRIVERS).

Toshiba are full of bloat though, mine had s***loads of useless programs & gadgets installed, though I imagine most would be the same. Look for anything with an ati/nvidia graphics chip, the intel graphics ones are ok for windows & simple games but won't cut the mustard in battlefield.

My mate has a dell, only complaint he has is that his touch pad doesn't work some times.

edit: Don't get an apple, yeah I love mine and it's probably the best laptop I've ever owned but it's a) over priced b) runs REALLY hot (CPU gets up to 100 degrees celsius under prolonged full load)
06:41pm 18/05/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7592 posts
I bet you give in prolonged full loads often!
07:17pm 18/05/11 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
1262 posts
I'm typing this on a Lenovo, just look at the quality of the text!
Buy Lenovo
This one is a nice colour
07:58pm 18/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
281 posts
the lenovo does have a nice keyboard
10:04pm 18/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:04pm 18/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.