AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
what peripherals and accessories would you buy again.
kettels
Melbourne, Victoria
169 posts
Just a discussion to see what peripherals and accessories you would buy again. There's always something new coming out that claims to be the best, but what products have you put through there paces and you would buy again over everything else on the market.

Mine are: Audio technica AD-700 headphones. These are great for gaming and are extremely comfortable, the only reason i'd think of changing is to get the AD-900.

edit* Also what products after owning would/will you avoid in future.

cheers
06:37pm 30/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:37pm 30/04/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
343 posts
Logitech Pure-Fi Mobile:
It's a portable speaker set (not HUEG DOOF DOOF types but great for laptop/ipod/mobile phone use) that has a USB interface, 3.5mm audio jack and bluetooth interface combined with it's own internal re-chargable battery.
In short it's great for portable music on the go (it's pretty pimp at bbq's if you want quick easy tunes)

Logitech G-25:
I bought it a few years ago now, and it's still going strong. It's a little bit painful to store or setup 'quickly' but once setup you remember why you were bothering to set it up... A+++ would definitely buy again.

If you own an Xbox 360:
GET the Xbox wireless gaming receiver for windows. It'll set you back ~$20 from the states, and you can then use any wireless 360 accessories with your PC.

I DON'T recommend the Microsoft steering wheel for xbox 360 though it's build like s***e. it's a reasonable well thought out product, but the build quality ultimately lets it down.
06:53pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5340 posts
Senneheiser HD448 headphones. They're fantastic, nothing more needs to be said.
07:01pm 30/04/11 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
19640 posts
Logitech Mice
ByerDynamic DT531 headphones
07:09pm 30/04/11 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
182 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Not Relevant
07:14pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2497 posts
Senneheiser HD448 headphones. They're fantastic, nothing more needs to be said.

I have HD465s, so comfortable.

a mouse keyboard etc. cause u need them

I've bought two of the same keyboards for $12 (with a micro mouse!) from silly sollies or something for the last 9 years. Total win.
07:24pm 30/04/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
7612 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Not Relevant
07:24pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
173 posts
My Ultrasone proline 650's have been pure awesome since day 1. Bought them when I got the $900 bonus and they're still going strong, would buy again. People overlook these over the Audio technica series. I've owned the ath 700's previously and they were good and probably more comfortable, but the build quality and sound quality of the Ultrasones are way better.

The other thing is my mouse. MS intellimouse v3. Had it for 4 years and despite its excessive use, it still works great. Definitely my next mouse when this one dies.
07:45pm 30/04/11 Permalink
travdawg
Gold Coast, Queensland
155 posts
personally i have always used a razer diamondback even back from my (pro)gamer days, it survived many years of cs and a trip to singapore, mwheel died 2 days ago, will have to replace after 5 odd years..
07:59pm 30/04/11 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
9415 posts
an extra large gaming mouse pad.
logi pc speakers (easy and cheap)
logi G-series mice (g5 lasted for yearssssss, now a g9)
I know it isn't counted in the category really but a quality sound card is underrated.
08:03pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5798 posts
My Ultrasone proline 650's have been pure awesome since day 1. Bought them when I got the $900 bonus and they're still going strong, would buy again. People overlook these over the Audio technica series. I've owned the ath 700's previously and they were good and probably more comfortable, but the build quality and sound quality of the Ultrasones are way better.
The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are half the price of the Ultrasone Proline 650. They're hardly overlooked if they're not in the same price range.
08:07pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1725 posts
tried to move to a razer cause i like their mousepads, thought they might make a good lasermouse... but no, quickest waste of $70 i ever spent on a Razer Lachesis NERDS

so going back, for the 3rd time to a MX-518 (Logitech)

wish i saw one of these beforehand though - SteelSeries 63022 Iron Lady Ikari
08:26pm 30/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2746 posts
I got me a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900's and they are epic. Best headphones i've ever used and comfy as hell. Would buy another pair if they ever broke in a heartbeat.

EDIT -
wish i saw one of these beforehand though - SteelSeries 63022 Iron Lady Ikari
Oh man i'm so buying one of these. I need a new mouse.

last edited by DM at 20:37:56 30/Apr/11
08:28pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
141 posts
anything by powerwave, never again.
keyboards, mouse, speakers, never.
08:32pm 30/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3377 posts
Having my canal phones fitted with custom moulds. Was unsure if I was wasting money when I paid, but totally worth it.

Good Morning Sir alarm clock. Not a peripheral but sits next to my computer so eat it.

last edited by StopShootingMe at 20:42:25 30/Apr/11
08:41pm 30/04/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33541 posts
Honeywell Spacemate 2 Keyboard, if they still made them. They were the f*****g s***. Also the old wedge-shaped Logitch 3-button mouse (if they had a scroll wheel) - can't remember what they were called, but I loved those things.
08:45pm 30/04/11 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
19641 posts
trog those were the mouseman+ or mm+ it was a ball maus if that's the one you are talking about.

they were uber back in the day
08:53pm 30/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2747 posts
Just ordered a white Iron Lady Ikari bundle. Also using a Steelseries 6G v2 keyboard which I think is fairly awesome as well. Another great keyboard and way up there among the top i've used. These guys make some good s***. Only issue I have with it is my space key is a tad sensitive so just resting my thumb on it sometimes causes me to jump in FPSes which isn't that bad really.
11:10pm 30/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10658 posts
my iphone & mac mini
11:20pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9905 posts
Will sign-in for Spook as well and say my $15 Microsoft corded Intellimouse. It's just awesome. Light and precise. Can't go past it.
11:22pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6683 posts
tried to move to a razer cause i like their mousepads, thought they might make a good lasermouse... but no, quickest waste of $70 i ever spent on a Razer Lachesis NERDS

so going back, for the 3rd time to a MX-518 (Logitech)

Really? I've had that mouse for a good 9 months or so now. It's been great. What happened with yours?

My previous mouse was the MX-518. Lasted me about 5 years, maybe 6. Only reason I replaced it was because the mouse wheel stopped working, then started going haywire at random. It was awesome up until then though, and I'd still have it now if that hadn't happened.
11:25pm 30/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6684 posts
Sorry for the double post.

I just went ahead and ordered some Audio Technica AD-700 headphones, because I keep hearing people go on about them. I'm not really an audiophile, but I can appreciate it, and I definitely like comfortable headphones. Got them for $144.95 with free express delivery.
11:42pm 30/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3577 posts
personally i have always used a razer diamondback even back from my (pro)gamer days, it survived many years of cs and a trip to singapore, mwheel died 2 days ago, will have to replace after 5 odd years..

the cable snapped at the point where it entered the mouse after maybe 6 months of hardcore q3 RA3 action. Maybe you snipe too much (don't move the mouse much). I'd never buy one again.

I'd buy the logitech mx510 again.. i did it's called like the g5. The first one died after 3 years and this one has survived for the last few.

I'd buy the G25, because i have a logitech something pro steering wheel, and it's awesome. But the G25 is its superior.

I just got some plantronics headset. Big ear cups, USB 7.1 sound. I don't know about that stuff but for 70 dollars it wasn't bad. Quality seems good and they're comfortable for hours (spent 5 hours playing SC2 today).
11:47pm 30/04/11 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
15 posts
Edifier S550 5.1 speakers , those badboys not only attract cops to my house - but ooze quality in build and sound. They destroy logitech's complete range.

Also the wolf claw keypad - awesome for gaming! Free's up realestate on my desk nicely when gaming.

another +1 for microsoft xbox 360 controller for pc. Man best gamepad and im not a 360fanboy (pc gaming is the only way).

Oh and the little tribal native who I let out of the cupboard to get me beer and food! Thanks ubu - your the best slave a man could wish for! One day I may let you see your family.
12:04am 01/05/11 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1728 posts
Really? I've had that mouse for a good 9 months or so now. It's been great. What happened with yours?

it stopped being able to be moved, i would be able to click and wheel/everything but move the mouse around... i was going to take it back one day before the qld floods hit brisbane cbd... didn't end up bothering going out that day and by the time umart opened again it wasn't worth my time explaining 'the floods made me wait' cause umart has atrocious street cred in support.

hm, that doesn't actually answer your question does it... i chucked it after all that and used another mx518

last edited by Spock at 00:10:33 01/May/11
12:08am 01/05/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6228 posts
ms intellimouse explorer, i still have one working on my pc now. would have to be 9 years old.
12:22am 01/05/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18385 posts
G5 gaming mouse/intellimouse explorer v3 (gotta be v3)
MS natural keyboard.

Both of these, only if they're the same as they were when I'd bought them in the past and hadn't been "improved".

edit* Also what products after owning would/will you avoid in future.

Monitors made by asus
Logitech Momo steering wheel. Technically there's nothing wrong with it but it's motor driven using gears and it's REALLY noisy and rather distracting. Also the clip thing that holds onto the desk is quite flimsy and not large enough for my forrest killer of a desk (but it is large enough for 99% of computer desks).
12:29am 01/05/11 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1787 posts
Beyerdynamic DT531 headphones

Bigtime.

Mine have seen better days, but still so aweome. Wish they still made em.
12:32am 01/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7168 posts
audio technica adh900
razor destructor mousepad
razor diomandback mouse
10:53am 01/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6685 posts
it stopped being able to be moved, i would be able to click and wheel/everything but move the mouse around...

Actually, now that you mention it, I have had that happen with this mouse. I booted up my machine a few weeks ago, and my mouse wouldn't move, but I could click. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked again. I assumed it was Windows being retarded, but maybe it was the mouse? Hasn't done it again though.
11:26am 01/05/11 Permalink
smart
Brisbane, Queensland
2858 posts
im still using my v3 from a good 10 years ago!
11:32am 01/05/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
438 posts
I love my Logitech Wave Keyboard (wired). They are really cheap and comfy to use. I have two and would buy another one in a flash if it needed replacement.
11:42am 01/05/11 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
5490 posts
Beyonwiz

They're less than half the price I paid for mine 5 years ago, and double the HDD capacity. But I love my Beyonwiz, it's a set top box with dual tuners and 200Gb HDD for recording (the new ones are 500Mb) can stream downloaded content over the network or off a USB drive. Plays 95% of the formats I throw at it flawlessly.

I know you can get TVs that record to USB and stream off network\usb. But nothing beats the dual tuner, being able to record one channel, watch another or play a game at the same time, the beyonwiz can ever record 2 channels and watch another, on top of the usual pause\rewind live tv stuff.

Just had a look, mine model (DP-P1) looks to be superseded now for the DP-P2 (500Gb) and the DP-P2TB (2Tb) models

Logitech 525 universal remote

I picked mine up about 2 years ago for $50 and have never looked back, before that I had a clunky touchscreen remote and it was a pain in the arse, slow response and having move to the next page when all the buttons didn't fit on one.

Nothing beats a remote with buttons so you can just learn when your fingers go to press things without looking at it.

I'm sure the Logitech Harmony One or higher models are even better but I've been more than happy with my little 525.

Samsung Monitors

Best monitor I've ever had, I want another now to replace my 2nd monitor, an old benQ 19"
11:44am 01/05/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1660 posts
Wired keyboard and mouse (Logitech Wave and G9), had wireless bluetooth previously and it would drop out at the worst times.

Aluminium Razer mouse pad, the great thing about this is I'll never have to buy another one ever again.

26" monitor, not the best monitor ever made but I'll never be able to downsize without feeling like downgrading.

All of my portable HDDs, cheap and saves me from opening up my case to upgrade.

Speaking of portable HDDs, does anyone know a good USB 3 card I can get with a front plate? Need more ports in the front of my PC, 2 just doesn't cut it any more.
12:26pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
3246 posts
-my audio technica AD900s

-2x widescreen monitors (cannot imagine using 1 anymore)

-front case USB drives (both are now broken) makes me cry a little every time i need to go to the back of my pc
02:47pm 01/05/11 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
4693 posts
The monitor dongle for the mac because apple is s*** in that regards.
03:46pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
2870 posts
I have had a few razer products, and they can really be hit and miss.

My mouse is the razer copperhead, and the mouse itself is pretty straight forward, but what I love about it is the grip and shape. The rest of the features are pretty standard though.

I had a Razer Lycosa (keyboard) and I would definitely not recommend them. They keys got gummy to type on and the black paint wore off the keys. A very cheaply made keyboard.

I would however highly recommend the Razer BlackWidow. I'm currently using one and its f*****g awesome. It's a clicky keyboard, so probably should be avoided if the noise is going to be a problem. The action on the keys is flawless and the back lighting is great. My wife regularly uses my PC now because she loves the keyboard and she has her own PC :/

Another vote for the AD700 headphones!
04:08pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Ivonin
Brisbane, Queensland
442 posts
Logitech G-9 and G-19, already have had three G-9s... <.<
04:13pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Wishbone
Sydney, New South Wales
77 posts
Logitech THX speakers. Got Z-5400's and Z-2300's. Shop around and they make extremely good value PC speakers. Have always had Logi mice too. Currently on an old MX518 - still an excellent mouse.

Apart from those everything I have is pretty good but wouldn't rave about them.
04:35pm 01/05/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6412 posts
Microsoft Optical basic mouse thing for $20.
Apple alu keyboard (with numpad)
Logitech speakers of most sorts (currently some 2.1 thing).
04:46pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31834 posts
my $15 Microsoft corded Intellimouse. It's just awesome. Light and precise. Can't go past it.
05:26pm 01/05/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1949 posts
Razer Naga Mouse, Razer Goliathus mat - both great. I've also got this awesome backlit "Logitech Illuminated Keyboard" our son left when he went to the UK, he ain't seeing this one back :-)

Have had this simple Logitech speaker system for ages, 2 sides and a small sub. does the job nicely. My BenQ 24" floats my boat also.

Recently I bought this 10 X USB hub from Jaycar, it is powered and has a switch so you can have 6 ports on or flick the switch to add the other 4. bloody good investment.

For the media side of things i love my Harmony One remote, top shelf.

Oh and I also have the MS Wireless dongle for using joy pad on PC, another great investment as mentioned.

Can't really think of anything crap I may have had.......oh hang on, maybe not a peripheral but i got this DVICO Fusion TV card and it's a bit ordinary. Just clunky and s***, would have rather a Compro but i rushed because i wanted to have it installed before the weekend once and MSY didn't have a Compro, blah blah blah......won't get one again
05:40pm 01/05/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7414 posts
A vibrating c*** ring
10:35pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1344 posts
AD-700's
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick (against others in it's price range). Had it for about 7 years, still going strong.
nVidia
10:55pm 01/05/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6712 posts
My Audio Technica AD700s just arrived today. I and very impressed. Not only do they sound awesome, but they're easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The build quality on them is superb too. Definitely recommended.
06:43pm 05/05/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
252 posts
i would love another buckling spring keyboard,

however my logitech wired backlite whats its keyboard feels great, (proper microswitchs, nice feel)

my sony multiscan g420 trinitron (a screen that was going to the tip at an old workplace, and placed rather fastly into my car) still s**** all over most modern monitors and is great for photo work, it also has something that newer screens lack, and thats something you can write on, (old CRT's that aren't black, are great to write in pencil on for notes)

sandisk image mate 5 - 1 card reader, has lasted in three work places, kicked around, stepped on, and fault less,

my old sony CD player, upplugged yet powered for a long time, was a great cup holder for many years, (till i moved my desk around, then removed it for space
07:01pm 05/05/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7198 posts
My Audio Technica AD700s just arrived today. I and very impressed. Not only do they sound awesome, but they're easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The build quality on them is superb too. Definitely recommended.

if you believe in "burning in the headphones" then they just get better and better =)
09:12pm 05/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:12pm 05/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close