Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Router Question(s) thread #666
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
847 posts
I guess we haven't had a router thread for a little while, so here goes.

I went away for the weekend (some people were still home tho) and during a storm here over the weekend some stuff blew up (best description my 65yo+ parents gave me).

I came home and as promised, a couple of TV's don't work (not my problem) and the router seems f***ed.

It's a THOMSON TG782T wireless router, the default one that Telstra sent us. When I plug it into the power no lights come on, have tried a couple of things but I'm no expert. As one would guess I have no internet (tethered my iPhone to post this, probably going to cost a bomb).

Is there anything I could do to fix the b0rked router?

If not, what is the best wireless router < $150 that I can get from Umart 8 Mile plains? List HERE. It has to be currently in stock as I need to pick it up asap tomorrow morning. I don't currently use the network for much other than getting wireless around the house and the occasional file transfer. I just want good speed & pings for gaming really.

Cheers

TLDR; tell me how to fix my router, or recommend me a router currently available at umart.
10:18pm 26/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:18pm 26/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7193 posts
i'd be very surprised if you can anything to rescue that poor router savaged by mother nature
10:38pm 26/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10627 posts
by the sounds of it, you're going to install it and never touch it again yeah?
which means it doesn't matter what you get, because there's a good chance any adsl modem is going to work, just buy the cheapest one
10:51pm 26/04/11 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
839 posts
check to see if the psu is putting power into the router. If it is open the router and see if it is just a broken fuse because if you had a power spike the over voltage protection would blow a fuse. Contact your supply authority e.g. Energex and claim for replacement or contact your parents home and contence insurance company to make a claim on your behalf
10:59pm 26/04/11 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
848 posts
Probably some port forwarding but that's about it.
11:02pm 26/04/11 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
93 posts
check to see if the psu is putting power into the router. If it is open the router and see if it is just a broken fuse because if you had a power spike the over voltage protection would blow a fuse. Contact your supply authority e.g. Energex and claim for replacement or contact your parents home and contents insurance company to make a claim on your behalf

Highly unlikely that a router would contain a replaceable fuse. No point contacting Energex as they will tell you to contact the Manufacturer of the Router. Even if it was a Surge Protector at your Switch board, they will tell you to contact your Electrician.

Energex look after from your green pillar to their sub station. Your spark looks after from the green pillar to your Power Points. Anything you plug in is the Manufacturer of the product.

Are you willing to fork out the excess, and raising your insurance for a less that $500 claim?

When My router decided to jump off my bench and shatter into 254385765 billion and 1 fragments. I just called up Telstra and asked for a new one. They said No, unless i resign my contract. I said No. Then yelled at them and got a new one about a week later.
01:46am 27/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18359 posts
I think my mate got his modem replaced by optus when it blew up because of a storm, though he might still have been under that 24 month contract thing.

Why not get another one off telstra, at least then it'll be covered by their tech support should your parents need it. Claim it on house insurance as storm damage (along with the other stuff)
01:50am 27/04/11 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
801 posts
Could just be a dead power supply. Try and find another one with teh same voltage, amperage and polarity to test with (or use a multimeter if you have one).

If thats whats at fault, then you can just buy a replacement from jaycar/d*** snith for $25.
07:28am 27/04/11 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
840 posts
Should you believe that a voltage fluctuation may have been responsible for damage to your appliances, you can contact ENERGEX for further information. In most cases, the causes of voltage fluctuations are outside our control. However, if you believe that ENERGEX may have been responsible for the problem, please contact us for advice on how to lodge a claim for your loss. For further information, please see our publication “Loss or damage to property or appliances – how to claim against ENERGEX”

From the energex customer charter.

You would claim for the couple of tv's that don't work at the same time as the router. I would't wory about the no claim bonus you are better off to claim in most instances.
10:58am 27/04/11 Permalink
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
209 posts
If there's no lights lighting up it is most likely the AC adaptor. Just find one with that meets the DC output voltage and at least the same Amperage (can be more) that fits the modem/router (eg. DC out 12v 2amps). Can get them from jaycar etc. Mostly around $20 - $30. If your really don't want to spend any money I have a few telstra ones lying around you can have.

last edited by RUSTA at 14:53:31 27/Apr/11
02:46pm 27/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:46pm 27/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.