We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
24/7 drives vs home user drives
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18349 posts
hokay, so, I've got this NAS box that I don't leave on 24/7 so don't really need 24/7 drives BUT I'm guessing the "home use" type hard drives also come wtih that pesky error correction stuff that you can't disable which these NAS boxes don't like. So my question is: If I use 24/7 drives in it, and turn it off every night will that reduce the lifetime of a drive designed to be left on? I know the 24/7 drives are almost double the price and frankly I don't care, I consider myself lucky the TLER thing on my current drives hasn't come round to bite me in the ass yet.

Or would I be better sticking with the "home" drives since they're designed (I assume) to be turned on & off more frequently? and pray TLER doesn't kick my ass.

Special question just for pinky: What drives do you have in your NV+? Do you leave it on 24/7?
03:50am 26/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:50am 26/04/11 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
4906 posts
I am shifting all my drives over to sas but normally I run anything that is not an eco drive and that supports 512k natively and I always buy an extra cold spare

Hitachi are a great option you could opt for something like the Hitachi 5K3000 2tb drives which are cheap enough ocau have a group buy on them at the moment http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=947660

Or go for the raid edition drives, could not care less about brand these days since everything is backed up over several servers and a nas. Drive dies rma insert cold spare rebuild and keep going

07:16am 26/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18350 posts
well I don't have the option of not caring about them dying.

Aren't "raid edition" drives the same as 24/7 drives? In which case that's what I'm getting, but curious to know if power cycling them frequently shortens their life span since this is a home NAS and it doesn't have to be on all the time.

edit: screw it, I'm just gonna throw a couple of the 2tb green drives in there, they're on the compatibility list. TLER be damned.
07:59am 26/04/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6876 posts
I just use normal drives in my RAID5. I recommend not using Western Digital as the failure rate seems pretty high for my liking.. I had a 1TB fail DOA then another fail within 4 months. I bought 2TB drives and one failed last week within 7 months. Fingers crossed the other two hang in until the replacement comes.
08:33am 26/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18353 posts
hmm crap, I've got 2 x 1tb WD drives in there now & was going to get another couple, and one for my main PC. Guess I should go seagate again (what I have in my PC at the moment).
09:05am 26/04/11 Permalink
gamer
1790 posts
I use the cheapest GB/$ drives, which at the moment is the 2tb eco I beleive.

I've had two drives fall over in the last 4.5 years. Didn't lose any data though as the QNAP rebuilt the raid using the hot spare etc. RAID on the cheap baby.
09:24am 26/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6173 posts
I recommend not using Western Digital as the failure rate seems pretty high for my liking.. I had a 1TB fail DOA then another fail within 4 months.

A single sample point (you) doesn't really mean anything. As usual just go do some research on newegg/amazon to average out a large number of user ratings. You'll find some brands are good at a certain capacity but terrible at others (e.g. WD is good at 500GB, average with 1TB, stay clear of their 2TB models! Meanwhile Samsung is super-awesome at 2TB). Just staying clear of a brand regardless of model/capacity doesn't really achieve anything since their failure rates are very different between models :)
11:06am 26/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10622 posts
I use bog standard 7200 rpm drives in production NAS environments at work, never had a problem
you might have some problems with TLER on WD Green Drives but you can disable that

my last build has 12 x 3TB Hitachi drives in it and it's very fast
11:24am 26/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6174 posts
you might have some problems with TLER on WD Green Drives but you can disable that

I thought they removed that ability recently?
01:36pm 26/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10623 posts
when I was last looking into it (2TB Drives - 2 months ago?) it was still valid
some raid cards can work around this problem afaik, although I am not sure how
01:58pm 26/04/11 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9377 posts
WD still have the TLER settings but I've recently loaded my Synology unit with 2TB Seagate drives which don't exhibit this symptom and are perfectly rated for their unit and are faster than the WD's. You need to use what's best for your situation and I'm a massive WD fan. Having said that WD's 3TB drives are perfectly rated but are way too expensive at the moment. Will move to those down the track.
02:04pm 26/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:04pm 26/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.