AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Recommend Me: $250-$300 Video Card
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9464 posts
Wow I didn't think this would be so hard; but this price point is SATURATED! According to Umart there are literally 10+ models that would suit which is bizarre. Its been a long, long time since I was at all up on this hardware s***.

Considerations:

• I don't have the budget (or motherboard support) to SLI and won't for the forseeable future.

• I won't be overclocking, so out-of-the-box performance matters.

• NVIDIA only.

• My PSU is a bit s*** and I may need to replace it, only has CPU, molex and SATA power connectors.

02:30pm 25/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:30pm 25/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
220 posts
04:15pm 25/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3355 posts
Why Nvidia only?
04:21pm 25/04/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
8898 posts
cos things are hot enough in cairns already?
04:24pm 25/04/11 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
221 posts

• NVIDIA only.

• I recommend the 2GB AMD Radeon HD6950 - $282

why Nvida only? :S
    04:29pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    carson
    Gippsland, Victoria
    969 posts
    why Nvida only? :S

Probably because the ATI drivers are balls.
    04:34pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    DK
    Brisbane, Queensland
    222 posts
    You're balls. Nothing wrong with them
    04:40pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    TiT
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4129 posts
    nvidia drivers are better then ati
    04:51pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    Mantorok
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5789 posts
    You're balls. Nothing wrong with them
    Until the next new game comes out, it doesn't work properly on ATI cards, and you wait for a driver update to fix a problem that doesn't exist for Nvidia owners.
    04:56pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    copuis
    Brisbane, Queensland
    221 posts
    maybe he'd like to be able to use physx?

maybe he doesn't like ATI because he had a bad one in the past, (i know i would never have another ATI and AMD in the same laptop again, i'm sure my testicles got roasted more than a few times, sure there was nothing really wrong with it, but it reduced an aspect of it's usability)

maybe it is because living in cairns with the high humidy he has found that the airflow with the ATI is less than ideal

maybe this thread is about throwing ideas at hoggy so he can narrow his choice, and it has nothing to do with which brand is better

last time i had a choice for a work car i told them anything but a holden, because of my own long long long list of dislikes and hates,

also "you're balls, nothing wrong with them" does not reinforce your point,
    04:58pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    step
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2242 posts
    GTX560

My PSU is a bit s*** and I may need to replace it, only has CPU, molex and SATA power connectors.

Corsair HX620 ftw.

last edited by step at 17:04:18 25/Apr/11
    05:03pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    9468 posts
    Thanks guys; good info. I was already naively looking at a GTX 560 so at least I was in the right ballpark. Is it worth going for 2G of video ram atm? Also how much difference is ther between the 460 and 560 series. Given that its only 50 bucks if its at all significant I should just get the 560 yeh?

In any case it should be significantly better than my current ATI 4600HD ... !

Re the obligatory brand wars, I just want to go back to NVIDIA. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I personally don't like Catalyst, and I had a few ATI specific problems over the years that I didn't get when I ran nvidia gear, and I also want physx.

I know any difference between them is negligible, but I get to decide when I'm throwing down my $ :P
    05:20pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    DK
    Brisbane, Queensland
    223 posts

also "you're balls, nothing wrong with them" does not reinforce your point,

"Ati drivers are balls" doesn’t reinforce any points either.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong AMD products and I have never had any issues with their software or hardware. I think it may be a misconception brought on by previous products that AMD is s*****? For some reason gamers >25 tend to go Intel and nvidia only :S

To write off a product instantly when you state you don't know what is out there ATM seems stupid to me.
    05:28pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    copuis
    Brisbane, Queensland
    224 posts
    hoggy you should love it, altho i've only got a baby gainward (gs450 GLH), it runs with the fan never cracking over an idle speed, (even with just cause 2 cranked to the max) apart from boot that is,

as for the 2g ram, would all depend, how long you keeping that mobo/card and what you do with it
    05:28pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    TicMan
    Melbourne, Victoria
    6872 posts
    I went from nVidia to ATI and haven't had any problem at all. Also hoggy, you don't need a good video card to run Visual Studio.
    05:31pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    9469 posts
    DK: I've used an ATI video card for the past 2-3 years. I want out. I don't like Catalyst. I want PhysX.

... Personal choice dude, no need to be upset about it, the world will continue turning if Hog is somehow wrong about his opinion of ATI products despite using one for YEARS.

copuis: Given that I'm a cheap bastard this card will probably outlast every other component in my setup, so yeh its for the long haul and to play games on.
    05:32pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    step
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2243 posts
    Is it worth going for 2G of video ram atm?
    Not really.

Also how much difference is ther between the 460 and 560 series.
    Heap of reviews here.

Seems to be a big difference, eg:

looking at the review from Anandtech, BC2 1920x1200 w/ 4xaa has:
    560: 61.7
    470: 55.9
    460: 44.8

That's a decent jump.

Oh and have a look at the models when purchasing, some brands are pre-oc'd ones too, which makes a difference too.
    05:35pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    9470 posts
    Hmm that is a tidy step up; thanks for the info step.
    05:36pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    DK
    Brisbane, Queensland
    224 posts
    Hog I wish you luck in your future endeavours
    05:41pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    Hogfather
    Cairns, Queensland
    9471 posts
    /salute!
    05:44pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    05:44pm 25/04/11 Permalink
    AusGamers Forums
    Show: per page
    This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
    Close