Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
New System pics inside
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3525 posts
Hi Guys,

so its been a while since i posted much and since i just finished installing my new video card and changed my water cooling setup figured id post a pic and some details:

PC Specs's:

- Core i7 920
- Asus Rampage III Extreme MB, Socket 1366, X58
- Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 2000Mhz DDRR3
- eVGA GTX580 1536MB FTW HC 850MHz
- Corsair HX-1000 1000W ATX Modular Power Supply
- Corsair Obsidian 800D Black
- Samsung 1.5TB Spinpoint F2 Silencer Series x2

Water cooling:

- Swiftech Apogee XT (CPU waterblock)
- Swiftech MCP655 Variable rate pump
- Koolance HX-CU1020VS 3x120 Rad
- Koolance quick-disconnect no-spill shutoff valve x2
- XSPC Single 5.25″ Bay Reservoir (Alu Front)
- Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1150rpm x3

the eVGA GTX580 1536MB FTW HC 850MHz temp under lead hit 49c max, havent really bothered to check the CPU, though when i had it at 3.2 it was maxing at 60c (its back to stock at the moment)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5532/newpcpic1.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1389/newpcpic2.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7779/newpcpic3.jpg

02:01pm 24/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:01pm 24/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3352 posts
The radiator is nicely integrated, doesn't get in the way. Quiet?
02:04pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3526 posts
yeah its pretty quite now, only thing i can hear is the hum of the HDD's, Gentle Typhoon's are nice and quite.

Edit: SilverStone fans FTL..

last edited by TufNuT at 14:07:55 24/Apr/11
02:06pm 24/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2724 posts
Maybe it's just me but am I the only one who thinks that running water over your expensive electronics is a bad idea? Guess you would need something like this if you overclock like a maniac. Nice case though.
02:07pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5503 posts
Nice one bro. Battlefield 3 at your house or what!
02:14pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3527 posts
thanks DM, its not that bad, use deionised water, it has a low electrical conductivity add in some anti freeze don't mix different metals (copper and aluminium foe e.g.) and your laughing. also there are ready made coolants you can buy.

its not hard to do just needs to be done well so as to avoid leaks..
leak testing is critical, my pump was running for 8 hours yesterday to make sure i didn't have any leaks.

02:15pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3528 posts
haha for sure Fixah :)
02:15pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3564 posts
Rad system!

I remember reading a few years back about a coolant some company was developing that would not short your system if it leaked.
02:52pm 24/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3353 posts
De-ionised water. Or, if you're doing immersion cooling you can use mineral oil, or fancier yet (try $400 per litre) Fluorinert from the folks at 3M.
04:39pm 24/04/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
8894 posts
um, yeah ok, so tall tower cases were a fad that should have stayed in 2002
04:50pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5302 posts
Once upon a time, I was a 15 year old and wanted a couple of extra megahertz from my processors. Then I grew up, got a job, stopped being such a god-damned f*****g tight-ass and actually bought processors fast enough to do what I wanted.
Say no to water cooling, kids.

Also, I love that if that thing leaks, the first place it's going is straight to the power supply. Yeah, BTX-style is clearly designed for water cooling :P
05:40pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4325 posts
OMFG LOOK AT THE BLUE WATER SO UBER COOL MAN SIIIICCCKK.
05:45pm 24/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2231 posts
Nice clean lines. I love that you went all out with the watercooling and high end spec. Not many have the guts to go that far with modding a custom machine.

Really well done. Have you done any benchmarking with it yet?
05:48pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3529 posts
thanks trillion, not much yet, i like to give it a week before i really start to push it. i did run 3DMark Vantage got the below results. once i am happy all the air bubbles are out of the system ill run some proper bench tests..

Also, I love that if that thing leaks, the first place it's going is straight to the power supply

actually it'll hit the metal shelf above then flow down to the fan you see then it'll hit my power supply :)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/632/newgpstest.jpg

06:17pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9821 posts
I'm from the same school as Raven, without the aggression tonight though (haven't been drinking).

If it's your hobby though, don't mind it at all. I think even if liquid cooling doesn't make sense from an engineering POV it's still interesting!

hardware, what's with the tower hate? I don't have a problem with towers. If you have the room for it and you're playing inside the accessibility really pays off.
06:32pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5505 posts
^^ Is that good?
06:36pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31778 posts
yer, not a fan of water cooling, just dont see the returns with value for money :(

nothing wrong with maxi towers though, i still got my hx-08 in the cupboard, she was a beaut back in the day!
06:40pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3530 posts
If it's your hobby though, don't mind it at all

indeed it is more of a hobby than anything else, plus i like my system being fast and quite and yes i like to over clock it as well.... and as far as Ravens comment goes.. i kinda ignored it seeing as though i don't see how i'm being a 'tight ass' if you actually go look up and see how much my components cost..
06:47pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1713 posts
ignore the jealousy here tufnut.. I run my core i7 930 @ 4.01ghz 24/7 on air cooling (noctura D-14) even with the latest gear the latest games and benchmarks do take advantage of overclocking - more so with DX11 games.

nice system i have the same PSU never had a problem with it, can you bench 3dmark 11? id like to compare my 5970 to your 580

edit: and Unigine heaven @ 1920x1080 with 4xaa and 8x anio with normal tessellation

last edited by Rdizz at 18:59:55 24/Apr/11

last edited by Rdizz at 19:04:08 24/Apr/11
06:54pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5305 posts
I just don't see the point of purchasing something, expecting more, and then running it way beyond the manufacturers recommendations.
Yes, I'm one of these types:
But once you open the box, you’ve voided the warranty. The warranty is a sacred covenant we’ve entered into with the manufacturer. He offers to stand by his equipment, and we in return agree not to violate the integrity of the internal hardware. This little orange sticker is all that stands between us and anarchy.

Also, I hope that from time to time people can read what I say with a bit, or lot, of jest, depending on the situation. I'm not that much of a c***. Usually.

last edited by Raven at 19:12:54 24/Apr/11
07:11pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1714 posts
I just don't see the point of purchasing something, expecting more, and then running it way beyond the manufacturers recommendations. Yes, I'm one of these types:

You will find that intel under clock most i7 cpu's. The max safe voltage for a 930 is 1.375v and standard they run about 1.248v. If you have the cooling there, you wont have dramas. My 930 has not seen a day of normal speed since I bought it over a year ago and it still going strong. In fact I have even had it up to 4.49ghz @ 1.4v.
07:23pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9823 posts
Also, I hope that from time to time people can read what I say with a bit, or lot, of jest, depending on the situation. I'm not that much of a c***. Usually.

*thumbs up*
09:04pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
18493 posts
Nice system dude. Almost as good as mine.

LOL
09:25pm 24/04/11 Permalink
Olx
Sydney, New South Wales
37 posts
was looking at buying a new system shortly..

how much did that cost you (if you dont mind elaborating) and where did you get it from?
10:15pm 24/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3531 posts
how much did that cost you

most of my water cooling gear came from the US (multiple sites) though some of it i got from pccasegear when the price was better, which is kinda funny that buying parts from the US and paying for shipping was still cheaper than buying from an Australian site..

as far as the PC parts got them all from umart. best bet is to check http://www.umart.com.au/ for the most current prices.

eVGA GTX580 1536MB FTW HC 850MHz $886
Asus Rampage III Extreme MB $445
Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window $379
Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 2000Mhz DDR3 $159

the rest a bought a few months ago and the CPU i have had for a while, if you want more info on the water cooling stuff feel free to PM me and ill give you more detail.
12:19am 25/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18338 posts
um, yeah ok, so tall tower cases were a fad that should have stayed in 2002

So were holdens and fords, except replace 2002 with 1980. Sorry mr (I can't afford much) hardware, some of us have a s***load of stuff that just won't fit in an itx case.

edit: That fan on the side, what the hell is that meant to cool / do? seems the side of the case just covers it up.
12:45am 25/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3532 posts
yer, not a fan of water cooling, just dont see the returns with value for money :(

Watercooled my e2160, got 3.55ghz, then replaced the cpu with a e8400, same watercooler, got it stable for about the last 3 years at 4.15 for everyday use. Still using it today on that system.
My watercooling was actually second hand, I just needed to get a different bit for the CPU to mount to the latest socket design.

I think watercooling can be a trap: the people who do it will never usually get a benefit in cost effectiveness really. I mean they get the exclusiveness of having a massive performing system and a lot of pride and knowledge about their system. But normally they're going to still upgrade their PC all the time anyway.

For me though, I guess I was lucky that every time I think about the cost of upgrading my system i look at what games I could play with the new system and then realise I can still play everything, most things at 1080p with good settings on my TV+xbox controller, and the other games like SC2 are close to max settings without problems... so when i try to justify the 1500 for an upgrade I get a little bummed out about how it'll give me nothing new.

So I'm forever holding out until the console gets old enough for game makers just to throw out a few games which I want to play that I can't run at acceptable frame rates, at average game settings. The longer I hold out the better the watercooling pays for itself in tiding me over.

Just some figures:
Whole PC was bought in 2007 + watercooling kit. (just checked when i bought it).
Upgraded the CPU to e8400 in 2009 I think ... (don't actually have any online record that I can search for that, grabbed it from MSY so no umart confirmations)
I think the 9800gx2 was sometime in 2008. So I guess 3 years isn't that super awesome, but for a gaming PC to last that long it's not that bad.
Another factor was the fact that the CPU's were not expensive, and nor was my watercooling solution. Together they've managed not only to down the cost of the components to a reasonable amount, but extend the life. The total cost was still well under an expensive quadcore at the time (like the q6600 or something was way more expensive than the e2160+watercooling). Possibly only because i grabbed the watercooling second hand.

Kind of parting thoughts:
Alternative to the watercooling was spending more on the CPU, however at the time in 2007, there weren't a lot of good CPU's that would last even till today at that price. Moreover those CPU's would probably potentially had to have been replaced by now (maybe not, some of those q6600's last people till today or whatever their code was). The dualcore's at high GHZ were better alternatives for me at the time because many games I played only utilised 2 cores (PCSX2, even SC2, etc).
Finally also, the sunk cost of that watercooling is already paid so future watercooling cost is only a matter of ebaying some 20-30 dollar copper watercooling for the latest cpu design. The cost to use it to make the cost of my next CPU lower, and last longer isn't very high.

It never failed. It helped me OC. It still is keeping my PC running today. It will be used in the future in my PC.

Not sure if it did or didn't pay for itself, but it was close, and if i reuse it, potentially paid for itself. But mind you it needed to outlast 3 CPU's to do it and probably around a life of 5+ years.
12:51am 25/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3533 posts
edit: That fan on the side, what the hell is that meant to cool / do? seems the side of the case just covers it up.

That throws air over the HDD's i'm guessing. Those things get hot and potentially a single fan might decrease failure rate.

All a guess.
12:54am 25/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18341 posts
Yeah but it's going to be sucking in the hot air it's just blown over the hard drives because there's no fresh air for it to suck in. Needs a hole in the side.
01:09am 25/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3536 posts
Yeah but it's going to be sucking in the hot air it's just blown over the hard drives because there's no fresh air for it to suck in. Needs a hole in the side.

yeah it'd help but even just moving it around would be better, usually HDD's are damn tight together and aren't ever in any path for airflow. So the ambient temp of the case is lower than the ambient temp of the air next to the hdd's. Ambient temp outside the case would be best...
01:19am 25/04/11 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
312 posts
How novel!

now you can run crysis :D
04:05am 25/04/11 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2239 posts
Ewww quick disconnects.

Nice and tidy except for two different tubing colours.
09:25am 25/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3532 posts
That fan on the side, what the hell is that meant to cool / do? seems the side of the case just covers it up

yeah its meant to cool the HDD's.. thought from what i have read there is no evidence to suggest that cooling the HDD's actually helps. Whoop this case has a fan at the bottom designed to suck in cool air from the bottom of the case up to the HDD's and into the case. though this case really isn't designed for air cooling the air flow is terrible.

haha step the quick disconnects are awesome. they don't seem to noticeably affect flow rate. i think eventually ill be going all white tubing if i don't get a second loop.

skythra got some pics of your set up? im always interested in seeing what people do with their water cooling.

last edited by TufNuT at 09:44:16 25/Apr/11
09:39am 25/04/11 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
6666 posts
For me though, I guess I was lucky that every time I think about the cost of upgrading my system i look at what games I could play with the new system and then realise I can still play everything, most things at 1080p with good settings on my TV+xbox controller, and the other games like SC2 are close to max settings without problems... so when i try to justify the 1500 for an upgrade I get a little bummed out about how it'll give me nothing new.

this
09:44am 25/04/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5308 posts
Indeed. I bought a Core i7 3 years ago now and I fail to find anything I can't run. Admittedly I upgraded my 9600GT to a 460, but it didn't need it, and that was a <200 upgrade.
10:37am 25/04/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9336 posts
no (or little) air movement = overheating chipset = data corruption and premature system failure.

not a huge problem if you upgrade frequently, though annoying if you bought a mobo/ram/videocard/cpu online from a hardcore overclocker.

there's nothing wrong with running one, it's just risky.

While at CA we built PCs that sit down in mineshafts monitoring air temp/CO2 levels etc. Heat was a very real problem in that environment. If we'd suggested they run a PC with watercooling, and the PSU sat at the bottom of the case they'd throw the contract back in our faces and laugh all the way out the door.

Still - it's a very cool project. One that needs regular checking - but cool none the less.

*edit*

oh - nice cabling btw :)

last edited by koopz at 11:05:43 25/Apr/11
11:04am 25/04/11 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2240 posts
no (or little) air movement = overheating chipset = data corruption and premature system failure.
The NB is fine with the rear 120mm fan tbh.

If we'd suggested they run a PC with watercooling, and the PSU sat at the bottom of the case they'd throw the contract back in our faces and laugh all the way out the door.
The PSU placement is fine, not like he can change it in the 800D anyways.

He's using worm clamps and providing he did actually leak test it for some time (more of a safety precaution and a timeframe to get all air bubbles out of the loop) he'll be fine. Christ I was transporting my system weekly to Hermi's when I had a massive water cooling setup without issue.

Now if you went over to XS forums and saw people's tubings being clamped down with zip ties or nothing at all, still has me on edge.

last edited by step at 12:54:09 25/Apr/11
12:13pm 25/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3533 posts
yeah exactly what step said, as long as you leak test (i had my pump running for a full day before i plugged the PC into power) it'll be fine..

01:42pm 25/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3356 posts
ignore the jealousy here tufnut.. I run my core i7 930 @ 4.01ghz 24/7 on air cooling (noctura D-14)

Man that's nuts. I have the same CPU and cooler but haven't bothered OC'ing it. Mostly because I didn't know that it was capable of >1GHz improvements.

What settings are you using? I think you said voltage was at 1.375?
05:41pm 25/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10618 posts
I'm also in the "Wtf watercooling" boat
I don't get it, 6 months form now you can buy a chip that will outperform your current overclocked i7, and it will run a bog standard intel cooler
06:07pm 25/04/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
18496 posts
nah mooby, this it what you need...

160GB OCZ Revo X2 PCI-Express SSD

Up to 740MB/s read and up to 690MB/s write, Sustained write 550MB/s, Random Write 100,000 IOPS, PCI-Express (x4) interface

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/gpahl/revo.jpg
06:12pm 25/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:12pm 25/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.