We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
TV's on display
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1371 posts
So I'm in the market for a TV. I'm looking at a particular Sony model at JB's today and all TV's have grain/noise in them. What's the go? Why are they not clear? Really puts you off these TV's in general. Is it because there's so much interference or because of the distance from the signal to the actual TV's plus going through converters/adaptors etc..?

I'd love to see the TV running properly directly from the source not through so much cables etc...

The picture displayed on all the TV's is a documentary and seriously all TV's all brands looked crappy picture quality.
01:45pm 23/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:45pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31774 posts
plasmas im guessing.
01:59pm 23/04/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Other International
14455 posts
Ask them to hook one up directly to bluray?
02:00pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5295 posts
Quality of broadcast 1080i isn't all that great. While sure it's 1080, it's note as high a bitrate as you're going to get from BluRay, ignoring the fact it's 1080p.
02:23pm 23/04/11 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1776 posts
lol spook

a Sony plasma?
02:55pm 23/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6169 posts
The picture displayed on all the TV's is a documentary and seriously all TV's all brands looked crappy picture quality.

When I went to buy a HD TV I made the mistake of going to Myer. They had low-res, standard-def free-to-air TV running on pretty much every TV there, so it was impossible to compare the HD TVs against each other.

I think even the guy was deaf:

Me: "I'm looking for an LCD for max $1500"
Him: "Here's a plasma for $2000"
Me: ????
I'd love to see the TV running properly directly from the source not through so much cables etc...

Unless you see really obvious glitching, then the cables or adapters are not the problem. Ask to confirm they are playing off a Bluray player, if not then walk out of there.

last edited by parabol at 15:05:15 23/Apr/11
03:03pm 23/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1372 posts
The TV i'm looking at is a LED LCD. The Plasmas LCD's all looked as equally crappy. Do people just accept this is the norm?

There was a new samsung hooked up to Avatar highdef. The skin on the real actors looked so fake it was s***.

I reckon my Sony CRT 68cm still better quality and it's not even running high-def. Or am I missing something here?
03:11pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
855 posts
I too have been looking at buying a new tv and have decided on the Panasonic VT20 model (insert your size preference as a prefix to that code)

Yes i know its a 3D tv but that isnt why i am probably going to buy it - its got 5trillion : 1 ratio of some kind of goodness, the picture quality is reportedly the best of all the current pictures (see Whirlpool) and its good. It also has every kind of other goodie you could want apparently

(Jeez arent u all glad i am so technically competent? :P)

Oh and its a neo-plasma or something :)

Currently trying to decide between the 58" or the 65"!
03:22pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
11121 posts
Have a look at the input connection they are using, rarely will it be HDMI, so many times I see them hooked up with standard crappy composite AV cables.

If you want to view it properly you'll have to ask it be set up for you to view with HDMI. The problem with that is you can't then directly view them side by side.

In fact I saw it today in Big W, I thought, gees that is bad quality. I looked at the back of the TV and BAM crappy composite cables. Then I thought, why even bother having the TV's on, they would look better turned off...
03:30pm 23/04/11 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
804 posts
The TV's are running off a nexus system which amplifies and distributes the signal through a set of cables, NOT HDMI in JB Stores so the picture will be better with HDMI (If full HD etc). There is one blu-ray player that runs the entire wall / bulk stacks.

Unfortunately the nexus run is prone to getting interference and that's why you get the picture quality on the wall.

Which TV were you looking at and which JB Hi Fi store? I'll see if i can help you out.
04:49pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6622 posts
It's TVs, not TV's.
04:51pm 23/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1373 posts
Yeah I remember checking it's definately running composite cables. I noticed it has two HDMI's and and one USB 1 and one USB 2.

The model I'm looking at is KD..46520EX?

Recommended from someone here actually :)

XaltD what do you think of this TV?
06:24pm 23/04/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9330 posts
which store you at XaltD?

06:27pm 23/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6370 posts
All I know is Samsung Series 6 and above all look amazing (LED/LCD). The video source was probably s***.
06:29pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18333 posts
The TV i'm looking at is a LED LCD. The Plasmas LCD's all looked as equally crappy. Do people just accept this is the norm?

The What?
06:49pm 23/04/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6866 posts
Make sure you ask them to demo with the $299 Monster HDMI cable so you get the best picture quality.
07:07pm 23/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6371 posts
Lol ticman
07:25pm 23/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1374 posts
Whoop sorry I didn't type the comma.

I mean to say the Plasmas, LCD's, LED's etc.. all look equaly crappy (grainy)
07:51pm 23/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3526 posts
Yeah of course, some source picture is crap, therefore they all rendered it crap.

Well done.

Now you made a thread blaming all TV's being bad.

Why don't you go to some review sites and then figure out which are the bad and good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/
http://tv.toptenreviews.com/flat-panel/lcd/
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv.html

etc, figure out what the good price performance for your budget is and size is, and then go into a store and try and bargain the best one down to being a good value purchase.

Or instead ask everyone else to do your homework, probably a leftover from being in highschool, and then complain about everything, probably a result from your life.
08:04pm 23/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1375 posts
Skythra go f*** yourself.

I'm just simply asking if other people could see the poor quality on all the TVs in store.

Thanks for the links btw. I'll look them up. I've already looked up a model I'm looking for for a review but it appears to be too new and there's nothing up yet.
08:13pm 23/04/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9332 posts
I like how the old LCD-vs-Plasma debate died off. Thank you technology.

Now if only I could get my LED1 3D glasses to work with the new LED :/
09:02pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18489 posts
Yeah, if they just have normal tv stations playing it makes the tvs look like crap. I've got two Panasonic plasma's and both look awesome playing blu ray stuff.
10:25pm 23/04/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9333 posts
what's this 'TV' you speak of ? ;)
10:44pm 23/04/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6868 posts
The TV is what you watch your Linux ISOs on.
11:29pm 23/04/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
11124 posts
How awesome is the latest linux ISO series, I mean I watched every episode back to back.
07:04am 24/04/11 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
794 posts
How awesome is the latest linux ISO series, I mean I watched every episode back to back.
Hell yeah! I especially liked the bit where the man page was grepped but no match was found.
08:15am 24/04/11 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7139 posts
Hell yeah! I especially liked the bit where the man page was grepped but no match was found.

That's because they forgot to turn on case insensitivities, pffft f*****g sensitivities always ruined a good Linux ISO series!.
10:44am 24/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:44am 24/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.