We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" - now $299
Nathan
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
3783 posts
http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/mobile-tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab/

Funny to think this launched at ~$900 four months ago.

I've decided to order one, at this price its a reasonably cheap and portable web browser, GPS unit, and Skype client.
07:19pm 17/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:19pm 17/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10595 posts
should be pretty obvious now that iPads are worth their money, they retain their value for a reason
07:29pm 17/04/11 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
215 posts
^

at the same time, i'm glad i sold my ipad for a xoom. it's bloody awesome.
07:31pm 17/04/11 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1771 posts
your level of fanboism is shameless, teq
07:31pm 17/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
953 posts
I still can't find a use for tablets to justify the purchase of one. But if I ever was to get one, I think it'd be an android based one.
07:35pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Vash
2452 posts
Didnt know about the xoom, looks awesome.

Can you use two SIM cards on the same phone number & plan and both work at the same time (i think no but thought i'd ask) so i can use my phone & tablet ?
07:39pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2422 posts
They're just giant smartphones without the phone part right? (and the same hardware stretched over a large screen/higher resolution). TBH I've never really paid attention to them, but am unsure why people would really get one over a phone.
08:06pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6574 posts
More interested in the 10.1" Galaxy Tab that's due out soon. Looks heaps better than the Xoom.
08:06pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
2577 posts
should be pretty obvious now that iPads are worth their money, they retain their value for a reason

Doesn't that just prove apple products are over-priced?
08:19pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18296 posts
7-inch full touch mobile tablet

Because it conveniently fits in your pocket
08:35pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
11099 posts
You can't fit 7 inches in your pants?
08:59pm 17/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3494 posts
Funny to think this launched at ~$900 four months ago.

Samsung Galaxy II is being launched. Dualcore 1.3ghz thing, i think that telstra are quickly kicking this one right out likely because the Samsung Galaxy II tab would logically not be long behind it.

So yeah.

Also I'm not 100% sure if it was really all that good, but there was a big market in both japan and korea for these things (ads everywhere). I only know it's popular (or heavily advertised) in korea thanks to starcraft 2.

Also pretty sure it wasn't a raging success here. But the Samsung store for example has a tonn of multi-asian'd languages for most of it's apps and compared to that the iphone didn't have as many so i think it was largely a timing hit to be successful in those markets. Not to say that the ipad and iphone aren't popular over there. They are. But not the same %
09:10pm 17/04/11 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
17084 posts
I use my Galaxy Tab every day :)
09:25pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1483 posts
Tablets, glorified smartphones, but without the phone.
09:26pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6577 posts
You can make phone calls on Android tablets (unless it's a wifi-only model).

While I can't really justify the need for a tablet, I reckon I'd get a lot of use out of one. Still, it's a fair chunk of change.
09:34pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7152 posts
i looked at this today in telstra shop and the guy quoted me 700 outright lmao

I'd get this and use it as a phone but it only does speakerphone calls unfortunately
09:36pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Nathan
3784 posts
Can you use two SIM cards on the same phone number & plan and both work at the same time (i think no but thought i'd ask) so i can use my phone & tablet ?
No, though many phones can be act as a wifi portable hotspot. Thats how I plan to use mine
09:42pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5457 posts
You can't fit 7 inches in your pants?
I carry 12" in my pants all day every day.
09:55pm 17/04/11 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1773 posts
You don't though.
09:58pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7153 posts
infi what do you use yours for?

would it be conceivable to put a 3.5mm earphone in it for making calls?
10:06pm 17/04/11 Permalink
Nathan
3785 posts
I've read it supports bluetooth headsets, not sure whether it supports 3.5mm though it certainly wouldnt surprise me
10:28pm 17/04/11 Permalink
kos
UK
1711 posts

Sure the awesome build quality and excellent industrial design helps, but I think that reason you failed to actually explain is that they retain their value because Apple is absolutely steadfast in its unashamed over-pricing.
06:06am 18/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6354 posts
Saying "a tablet is just a giant phone, just get a phone" is full retard.
08:10am 18/04/11 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2965 posts
I've ordered one, definitely a better price for this sort of toy.
08:22am 18/04/11 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1738 posts
speaking of which i had a play with the samsung galaxy s2 phone or whatever they call it- hasn't been released yet but will be very soon. on board gpu and dual core cpu... in the phone... i don't really get it to be honest.

it runs angry birds pretty good... lol.
08:26am 18/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6580 posts
All smartphones have a GPU. That's how they do 3D.
09:27am 18/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2424 posts
Saying "a tablet is just a giant phone, just get a phone" is full retard.

I was asking what the difference is, as I have no idea, and am curious why people are fascinated with them.
11:07am 18/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6585 posts
Smartphones are great because they're streamlined for web access and stuff like that, and they're portable. The one problem is that they have very small screens, which can make them a little frustrating to use at times. Tablets are kind of like a middle ground. Quicker to use and more portable than a laptop, and easier to do proper web-browsing and stuff on compared to a smartphone.

This is why lots of people (like myself) are in the "I want one, but I can't really justify it" camp. It doesn't do anything you can't already do, but it does stand to make certain things much more enjoyable to do.
11:18am 18/04/11 Permalink
ElectricBoogie
Brisbane, Queensland
9 posts
Does anyone know which are better, the Galaxy 10" or the Asus ones (transformer, slider, etc)?
11:23am 18/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2425 posts
Ahh, then I propose we go into business selling gameboy magnifiers for smartphones :P

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005M239.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_gba/spmagnifier.jpg
11:27am 18/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6586 posts
Heh, I used to have one of them.

It's more the input rather than the view which is the issue, for me anyway. I have big hands.
11:47am 18/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6356 posts
All smartphones have a GPU. That's how they do 3D.

That's also how they do 2D. Even drawing simple stuff like 2D interfaces is slow on a CPU.
11:49am 18/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3505 posts
I was asking what the difference is, as I have no idea, and am curious why people are fascinated with them.

Not really a difference, but browsing and stuff on a phone isn't so bad really, it's the size which restricts you from doing things a bit quicker, i guess the tablet kind of fills that niche.

Tablet for my parents makes sense though, they're always getting out the laptop, plugging it into the wall, checking google, then packing it back up 3-5 minutes later. A tablet around just to get them to wikipedia to settle their arguments about the size of a viola etc would really be an investment. They'll do that whole 15min process maybe 2-3 times in a dinner when i'm there :P
05:25pm 18/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2427 posts
Yeah I guess for those cases it's not so bad. I'd rather they didn't have such locked down environments though.
05:41pm 18/04/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
324 posts
Apps designed for the iPad compared to the iPhone make good use of that extra space too. It's not just all blown up. You generally see extra content / menus / frames that make doing whatever you're doing easier. Games that rely on touch screen controls are way better. In fact once you start getting into games on the iPad you never want to play games on your phone, it's just so much more enjoyable. This is also the big difference between iPad and the competition. iPad has over 80,000 apps designed for it, for the bigger screen. There something like 20-30 android apps actually designed for tablets. The rest is all just phone stuff you run on your tablet not optimized at all.
11:13pm 18/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3511 posts
In fact once you start getting into games on the iPad you never want to play games on your phone, it's just so much more enjoyable.

This is the statement i never understand.

Why I play games on my mobile:
1) Not at my PC
2) Don't have my laptop with me

If i had a tablet, i'd have to sit down somewhere to actually play games on it (if its the size of an ipad that is), why would i bother when i can grab my console controller? Is there some benefit in this i don't understand?
12:42am 19/04/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
325 posts
This is the statement i never understand.

Why I play games on my mobile:
1) Not at my PC
2) Don't have my laptop with me

If i had a tablet, i'd have to sit down somewhere to actually play games on it (if its the size of an ipad that is), why would i bother when i can grab my console controller? Is there some benefit in this i don't understand?

It depends what you want to play. You're defiantly getting a different style of game on your iPad than your console. Like say, cut the rope, drop chicken, pvz, angry brids etc. Then add in stuff like ashphalt 6, car racing games using you're iPad to steer. With the larger screen up in you're face compared to sitting back from you're hd tv it's actually a rather immersive experience. Dungeon crawler type games dungeon hunter 2 etc. There's definitely something to be said for smaller fun games rather than console games that have a lot of production time, spend millions on and cost you 50 bucks.

But what makes iPad shine is more is do it all nature IMO. I wake up, I generally grab my iPad, check my email, then move on to my rss, of which I probably have anywhere from 100-200. Of those ill skim and actually read 5-20. Then I might check my YouTube subscriptions / Facebook. I could play a game or 2, I could check in on some forums. Read the news on Zite / Pulse news / ABC / CNN. Read whatever I'm reading ATM in iBooks or whatever reader app you use. It does most of what I need during the day in a better format than a smart phone or laptop with fantastic battery like. Tablets are the perfect in-between.

Could you do most of that on a laptop? Sure, but apps take web content and package it up in a much nicer, slicker, add free, touch friendly interface that makes doing most of it a much more enjoyable experience. I was much like a lot of you where I couldn't see a space for a tablet at first. I was without my laptop for a few days and started to use my iPad exclusively for a little while. It made me take the time to buy a few apps to make doing what I do easier, importing all my bookmarks to atomic web browser, setting up last pass Bookmarklets so I could easily log in pages with the press of a button. Once I had everything setup how I liked it and was used to it, when I got my laptop back I found myself much preferring the iPad for most tasks.

I think more and more people are starting to come around like I did.
01:25am 19/04/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
2430 posts
Sounds intriguing, guess if you don't mind parting with the cash and were willing to put in the effort to set it up.
03:28am 19/04/11 Permalink
Nathan
3786 posts
Just received mine. I'll post some impressions later
10:13am 19/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1505 posts
I have a 3DS now, that pretty much acts as my tablet form of gaming. I have my HTC Desire HD as my phone and web access. I have my laptop on me whenever I go to uni, so that acts as my larger gaming, web browsing etc. I don't think I really need a tablet at the moment.
10:20am 19/04/11 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
4674 posts
For $300 I'd be interested in buying one. So write something up nathan!
10:20am 19/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5460 posts
Whats the battery life like on your Desire HD? was thinking about giving the Desire to my Wife and picking up the HD. Is there much difference besides the bigger screen?

Also regarding tablets, I just can't help but think how awkward it would be pulling something that big out of your pocket. Maybe it wouldn't be so awkward taking it out of your purse, but still a 7" screen is massif.
10:21am 19/04/11 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
742 posts
I still can't find a use for tablets to justify the purchase of one.

The total reason why one should or shouldn't buy something. Everything else is want.
10:23am 19/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1506 posts
Whats the battery life like on your Desire HD? was thinking about giving the Desire to my Wife and picking up the HD. Is there much difference besides the bigger screen?

Also regarding tablets, I just can't help but think how awkward it would be pulling something that big out of your pocket. Maybe it wouldn't be so awkward taking it out of your purse, but still a 7" screen is massif.

I haven't really handled a Desire, besides seeing a friends one for a minute or so. The screen is definitely bigger then any iPhone, and oh so much clearer. Definitely faster to. And battery life is roughly 3 or so days without charging. If I'm consistently using web and apps, maybe a full day and a half.
10:30am 19/04/11 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
218 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yIB5pjjDIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TGy_icJiI&NR=1

youtube isn't me but set up wiimote last night and had nothing but awesome fun with it. it was far too easy to set it all up.
11:34am 19/04/11 Permalink
taggs
5057 posts
get the hd fixah, it's rad. i <3 mine.

never used a desire though so can't offer any useful comments there.
11:49am 19/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5462 posts
I would except I've got 10 months left in my contract and I want to keep my number. I want to stick with Telstra but they won't let me upgrade cause it's too soon. Maybe I should just buy the HD outright and stick my sim in it and get wifey to get on a cheaper plan with the desire.
12:40pm 19/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6159 posts
Just bought it for $299 from a Telstra shop in the city.

Waiting for the device to charge before first use, zZz ...
01:07pm 19/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3512 posts
It depends what you want to play. You're defiantly getting a different style of game on your iPad than your console. Like say, cut the rope, drop chicken, pvz, angry brids etc. Then add in stuff like ashphalt 6, car racing games using you're iPad to steer.

I have angrybirds, cut the rope, and a bunch more on my phone, even that ashphalt 5 (not 6) on the galaxy, all were free. My arms drain of blood and i have to put them down. It's the same problem I've had with my PSP-1000 that my hands get numb after holding it up too long (when lying down specifically), i can only expect that to be WORSE with a heavier object..
But what makes iPad shine is more is do it all nature IMO. I wake up, I generally grab my iPad, check my email, then move on to my rss, of which I probably have anywhere from 100-200.
Why is the pad better for this? My phone does that at 480x800 and i'm not blind. Also I can watch flash content (eg: streams of starcraft 2 from justin.tv) before i go to bed. A bigger screen could help, but my hands get numb when holding things for more than half an hour straight in bed.
I could check in XXX

What makes a pad better for this than a phone? The amount of times i'd be likely to have a phone and nothing else is nearly 100% of the time. By having the pad i'd need to carry it around. It doesn't fit into my pocket. It doesn't fit into my life. It would need to be incorporated and time set aside for it to exist, or start carring it around with me.

Could you do most of that on a laptop? Sure, but...

All things that aren't different between a phone and a pad. I'm looking for reasons for getting a tablet which are more than "It's like a phone but with more screen realestate, but disadvantage of being larger, and therefore it can't fit into your pocket".

Here's my life revolving around my technology:

1) Wake up, check phone, see if anything's worth getting out of bed for, maybe make a qgl post, maybe check facebook, maybe see if a youtube of my subscriptions has come up (usually team liquid TSL etc).
2) Get to my desk where I'll write out a post like this, which actually has more than 12 words and a joke.
3) Get showered, dressed, keys wallet and phone, go out the door with everything in my life that's needed fitting right into my pockets
4) Car drive, phone plays music via blutooth to my stereo
5) Get to destination (right now that's uni). Stand around playing phone, listening to music wait for class
6) Class is over, play games music while waiting for next class,
7) Catch a bus (in the alternative world that it's a day where i caught a bus) and therefore play my phone
8) Get home, PC
9) In bed, phone.

This kind of lifestyle surely normally is similar to other people. See how the phone integrates well with being a location less component which fits neatly in and fills in spare time? If i had an ipad, i'd maybe be able to use it instead of the SGS phone, but it'd be if anything less convenient. I might enjoy the few minutes or half an hour more but the rest of the 16 hour day i've got to carry it around.

(PS: I learned that i learn better by using textbooks and taking hand written notes rather than using a laptop, i leave that at home and all devices off in my classes. That's because in my lectures i'd roll up with my laptop write out a bunch of stuff, and then i'd be on qgl/otherforums and miss most of the point of the lecture, so i banned technology while in class.)

Although I concede that the 7" would fit neatly probably into my life instead of the phone, if it was a better phone lol. My pockets are big enough to hold 7", but not the ipad which is more like 7x10".

With PC/Console gaming as what i consider more immersible in the games i have a wheel exclusively for GT-R, keyboard and mouse for SC2/quakelive, xbox controller for PC for sitting and playing at my couch for assassins creed, just cause 2 and so on which i feel are more immersive than say angry birds, or demon hunter or ashphalt5. So I'd be unlikely to want to substitute out those games for a pad experience of a phone game.

So what I'm asking is, where do you think I'd change my life, if i got a pad today and started playing with it, would I just cut out somewhere? Or would I fit it in somewhere else? Do you just sit down and play your pad or do you play it on-the-go? What does your day look like on average with the pad?
01:10pm 19/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3513 posts
Just bought it for $299 from a Telstra shop in the city.
Waiting for the device to charge before first use, zZz ...
My SGS came fully charged out of the packet. Maybe I was just lucky..
I would except I've got 10 months left in my contract and I want to keep my number. I want to stick with Telstra but they won't let me upgrade cause it's too soon. Maybe I should just buy the HD outright and stick my sim in it and get wifey to get on a cheaper plan with the desire.
What you should do is this: Get your wife the HD on a plan, give her your phone. Use the HD yourself.
Done.

PS if i wasn't clear, you should swap the sim. Both will be telstra locked if you get them from telstra, but i don't think they lock them to the sim itself, only the network :P
01:12pm 19/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6160 posts
My SGS came fully charged out of the packet. Maybe I was just lucky..

If you squeeze the box of the Galaxy Tab by the slightest amount, it eventually turns the device on to tell you that it powered up in an unknown mode. So there are probably heaps of these devices being switched on and off randomly as they're being moved around in the T-stores, etc. Mine started off at about 40% charge.
01:19pm 19/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3514 posts
Haha that sounds like poor packaging samsung.. :P

Is it light? The first thing i noticed about my SGS is that it was way lighter than an iphone 4, even though they run the exact same processor.
01:27pm 19/04/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
326 posts
All things that aren't different between a phone and a pad. I'm looking for reasons for getting a tablet which are more than "It's like a phone but with more screen realestate, but disadvantage of being larger, and therefore it can't fit into your pocket".

I guess if you're happy doing all that on your phone than fair enough, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority their. I could watch tv on a 23" inch monitor with Full HD res as well, but I prefer to watch it it on a 50". if you're happy with a 4" screen compared to a 10" that's up to you.

Also I don't know whats up with you're arms going numb, but I never experienced that nor have I heard of anyone else.

So what I'm asking is, where do you think I'd change my life, if i got a pad today and started playing with it, would I just cut out somewhere? Or would I fit it in somewhere else? Do you just sit down and play your pad or do you play it on-the-go? What does your day look like on average with the pad?

Like I said before, wake up check iPad, do usual stuff. Work day, chuck the iPad in the bag, head to work (5 mins, I drive). Have the ipad around at arms reach at work to keep up with personal RSS and email throughout the day. Come home. If I'm watching tv etc, again iPad always at arms reach to do whatever. iPad has taken a lot away from what I would have used my phone and laptop for. My phone is more or less SMS and calls now. You're obviously not going to take your iPad if you go down the pub or whatever. So that's where the phone still comes in. But if I have the choice I go to the iPad.
01:45pm 19/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3521 posts
Just to answer silly things first:
Also I don't know whats up with you're arms going numb, but I never experienced that nor have I heard of anyone else.
Well you see that's actually quite common with anything that would be held up above your head for any period of time.

I_R_WINNER
Posted 6/15/2010 12:33:19 PM

my outer parts of my hands(by my pinkys) go numb after playing for a long time. it does this with my ipod touch too
also anyone know a release date or estimated?
---

SAmap
Posted 6/15/2010 12:34:35 PM

it used to with my PSP, but not anymore
---
Lost_Seraph09
Posted 6/15/2010 12:36:38 PM

If I play while lying down, my hands pretty much do
Eno_Suibon
Posted 6/15/2010 12:51:49 PM

Yeah, all the time. Probably because I almost always play my handhelds lying down.

etc etc

So to move on.
Have the ipad around at arms reach at work

Why would you bother if you are at work? Just use the PC right in front of you.
I guess if you're happy doing all that on your phone than fair enough, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there. I could watch tv on a 23" inch monitor with Full HD res as well, but I prefer to watch it it on a 50". if you're happy with a 4" screen compared to a 10" that's up to you.

How does that even make sense? You're comparing apples and celery here.

All I can work out from this is: You have no obvious suggestions on where I might want to change my lifestyle to suit this device. You can't even offer any suggestion on where in my current lifestyle that this device would fit.

And that's fine. No biggie. I'm sure some people are happy to incorporate it. I just can't see why. It's like having a phone for the blind with a slight resolution buff, but not a big one. But unlike your TV example the circumstances around it aren't the same, whereas an ipad can't be used everywhere a phone could, and everywhere else you seem to double up by not using a PC/Laptop instead. Which is fine.

So I conclude, if you're actually not tech savvy, and only really use your PC for web based stuff, and a few light games, your pad might be better than a whole PC. But I don't watch TV for fun, the only input from my TV is my PC because there is no reception here (no wall socket for the aerial and in a gully for a wire one). So my time WILL be at my pc. Maybe mums and dads and non-internet heavy users might prefer being at home with the flexibility of sitting on the sofa watching that TV and then glancing at their email/rss on their ipad.
10:22pm 19/04/11 Permalink
Nathan
3787 posts
This is just from a bit of f*****g around in the office, haven't seriously used it yet:

Pros:
- the 7 inch screen is good quality and a good size for something you can just throw in your bag, while still being quite readable. Overall the device is about the size of 3 Galaxy S laid side-by-side
- at 1024x600 you can view web pages in landscape at 1:1 and its nicely readable
- the included video player handles 720p MKV beautifully. I dont have a 1080p on hand to try
- google maps / navigation is easier to use with the large screen

Cons:
- there is a noticable lag in the default web browser when you first start scrolling, although after that it seems smooth. its almost like the software is requiring you to move your figure "enough" to start the scrolling event. home screen/app drawer/etc do not have this, just seems to be the web browser. I'm using another web browser (Dolphin HD) now for this reason
- it is relatively thick given its width and height
- screen is relatively glarey and picks up fingerprints, as is common with these LCD screens
- despite being lighter than the ipad, it *feels* heavy; I think its more that its denser than ipad
- skype for android does not support video yet! I had no idea :(
01:53pm 20/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6164 posts
there is a noticable lag in the default web browser when you first start scrolling, although after that it seems smooth

I just use the Miren browser. So much more feature-packed and feels 'right' for me.
01:57pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6607 posts
Opera Mobile (not Mini) is by far the smoothest browser on Android, as it has GPU acceleration. Not sure how it handles on a tablet though.

I'm looking at getting the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but I'll probably wait until the redesigned version comes out in a few months. It's a bit thinner, and I don't think the one coming out next week has expandable memory, which seems totally retarded.
02:24pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2967 posts
- skype for android does not support video yet! I had no idea :(

Yeah :( From what I've read though they're working on it at the moment. They've recently released video for Apple devices and googling around people are saying Android is next.
02:47pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Vash
2460 posts
Are the maps stored on the actual device or you need internet access?
03:04pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7162 posts
nathan can you plz take a photo of it in ur pocket?
04:11pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6610 posts
I just looked up the Asus Transformer today, and holy crap, it looks awesome. Definitely the raddest looking tablet, imo. The current version doesn't have 3G support though, but I have a 3G wireless modem, so I'm not too bothered.

04:43pm 20/04/11 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8906 posts
Haha that sounds like poor packaging samsung.. :P

Is it light? The first thing i noticed about my SGS is that it was way lighter than an iphone 4, even though they run the exact same processor.

Weight of a device has nothing to do with the processor and everything to do with the size of the battery and the material used for the housing. In this case, plastic is lighter than glass and stainless steel.
05:52pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2593 posts
Have read this thread every day, umming and ahhing about buying one. Even stopped by JB Hifi on the way home today to play with one, however it was 5 minutes before the shop shut and some lady was hogging it. Haven't read anything convincing to make me get one, and I will probably buy a Galaxy 2 next month anyways. But something about it (at that price) is just making me WANT.

Dumb question - do you need a sim/data plan to use it or could you just run it on wifi?
07:25pm 20/04/11 Permalink
EniGma
Brisbane, Queensland
5462 posts
I failed at the Google.

Anyone know the price for a Galaxy Tab 2? (10.1)
07:38pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7163 posts
yeah im same as you zak, i assume it'll get cheaper at some stage though?

And yeah just wifi works
07:44pm 20/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6166 posts
Weight of a device has nothing to do with the processor and everything to do with the size of the battery and the material used for the housing. In this case, plastic is lighter than glass and stainless steel.

The weight of the battery can also be negligible compared to the frame (or compared with other batteries), given Li-Po/Ion batteries are so light to begin with. My Motorola Defy's battery (1500mAh) is 30g, while the 7" Tab comes in at 80g (for 4000mAh) - which somehow corresponds exactly to (4000/1500)x30g - so doesn't seem you can get much saving there!
Dumb question - do you need a sim/data plan to use it or could you just run it on wifi?

Nah you don't need a sim, but most of the appeal for me was to be able to look up places/maps while out. Really sucks using my phone for that as it's like "type, zoom zoom zoom scroll, zoom to be able to click link, zoom pan pan zoom".
10:48pm 20/04/11 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2968 posts

You don't need a sim, but the device keeps telling you there's no SIM inserted (not annoying popups or anything, just icons and a message on the lock screen). You could just buy a $2 sim card and pop it in to shut it up.
07:11am 21/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1632 posts
That ASUS one looks the goods. Remote desktop on Android isn't something I ever expected to see.
09:56am 21/04/11 Permalink
ElectricBoogie
Brisbane, Queensland
13 posts
10:15am 21/04/11 Permalink
Nathan
3788 posts
I realise you were possibly joking but anyway..

http://nathanosullivan.com/galaxytab.jpg

I wouldnt recommend this; or at least I wouldnt sit down without removing it from back pocket
10:37am 21/04/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6168 posts
The Tab is just fantastic, been playing with it for about 2 days now and it blows my motorola defy phone out of the water in terms of ease-of-use, responsiveness and features esp. from not having Motoblur!

I just have to figure out how to use it as a main phone - does anyone have suggestions? Just bought myself a bluetooth earset which seems to work well with calls, and forwarding incoming calls to my prepaid sim on my motorola phone so I don't have to scramble for the earset before the person hangs up.

Also been doing research into proper cases and these seems to be the best so far:

http://www.zenuscase.net/gallaxy-tab/gallaxy-tab-en.html

(there seem to be quite a few cases around that don't have a hole for the rear camera, these do!)
10:54am 21/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7166 posts
that doesn't look ridiculous at all nathan, does it fit in your front pocket too?
01:54pm 21/04/11 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
682 posts
that doesn't look ridiculous at all

You haven't seen the size of nathan's ass
03:23pm 21/04/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
33498 posts
You don't need a sim, but the device keeps telling you there's no SIM inserted (not annoying popups or anything, just icons and a message on the lock screen). You could just buy a $2 sim card and pop it in to shut it up.
Vodafone will give you a free SIM (or at least, they used to - we got a free one for my parents ipad when we walked in asking to buy one)
04:00pm 21/04/11 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
4683 posts
nathan can you post some pictures of you holding it sexy style? Show thickness etc. For $300 it sounds damn good and if those are the only negs than wow - awesome. How does it compare to the ipad in usability.
05:11pm 22/04/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31768 posts
im not interested in any more nathan pix, dirty lefty.
05:18pm 22/04/11 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
6617 posts
They have them on display in any JB Hifi store, just go play with one yourself.
06:01pm 22/04/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3348 posts
Why doesn't that ASUS tablet have any USB ports? That was a failing of the Ipad. And does it charge via a proprietary plug of some sort instead of micro USB?

last edited by StopShootingMe at 18:22:28 22/Apr/11
06:17pm 22/04/11 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4148 posts
use my galaxy tab every day.. has replaced my pc at home pretty much for everything bar gaming or serious work stuff - chil on couch with tab ftw. Battery lasts about 3 days of minimal use although heavy use can suck it dry in less than a day.
02:22pm 23/04/11 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
17102 posts
yep using it for constant data entry it will use the battery in 10 hours or so.
02:25pm 23/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:25pm 23/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.