We take a look at Telltale's latest adventures in Gearbox's Borderlands to find out just what you can expect from this new adventure series.
Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 1: Zer0 Sum Reviewed
We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
Positional audio with Audio Technica A500's
s
4 posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a new set of Audio Technica A500's. I've been burning them in for a while and the sound is amazing, but I have a question relating to the 3d sound positioning. I have Windows 7 with the "IDT Audio" software. This comes with a control panel that lets you to tweak the audio in a number of ways, including 3 presets for games, movies and music. I have found that while using the gaming preset significantly improves the audio (i.e. a lot bassier etc.) the 3d sound positioning suffers, as opposed to disabling the IDT software all together. I'm not very knowledgable in sound engineering but it seems to me that this may just be a kind of trade off you make when you alter the audio by doing things such as increasing bass. Am I right here? Or would it just be a matter of me having to tweak the preset a little to bring the 3d sound quality back to where it was before, whilst retaining the rest of the benefits this 'gaming' preset brings?

Thanks!
06:36pm 13/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:36pm 13/04/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
16231 posts
I haven't used this IDT Audio software, but 3d sound positioning and the quality of it wont have anything to do with your headphones, its totally a software driven thing (or hardware, if you have an old sound card that refuses to move with the times).

So yeah, I don't really know how you can fix it, but it'll definitely be something in the software, so you can rule out having to fiddle with your headphones or anything like that.
07:10pm 13/04/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18278 posts
I'm with khel, I've heard voices coming from behind me no matter whether I'm using speakers or headphones and I don't even have this IDT thing.

I recently got myself a new pair of headphones and noticed that while they have slightly more treble they also lack a bit of the bass my old ones had but I've realised it's actually better for the games I play. I can hear footsteps better than ever and positional audio hasn't changed from one pair to the next.
10:47pm 13/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9724 posts
Did you end up buying these over the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones?
12:02am 14/04/11 Permalink
s
5 posts
No after speaking with a guy at the headphone store and trying out about 5 different sets I went with the Audio Technica A500's as I'm more interested in using them for games rather than music, and the 500's seemed a little better on the bass.

The 3d sound positioning is actually just as good as my previous set of headphones when I disable this IDT software, however with it enabled it boosts the bass and tweaks a couple of other settings which make the sound in games amazing. The only downside is that it reduces the quality of the 3d positioning. I can definately still hear the sound coming from different angles, however it is harder to determine say footsteps or explosions happening 10m to my right from 20m. With IDT turned off I can make this distinction much more clearly, but the overall sound quality is not as good. So was just wondering if this was a side effect of pumping more bass through the headphones?
11:44am 14/04/11 Permalink
s
6 posts
Sorry, misread your question, yes I did go with these over the Sennheiser ones :)
11:45am 14/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7029 posts
recently got myself a new pair of headphones and noticed that while they have slightly more treble they also lack a bit of the bass my old ones had but I've realised it's actually better for the games I play. I can hear footsteps better than ever and positional audio hasn't changed from one pair to the next.

+1

my audio technica 900's have decent bass, no where near what some of them do tho. Sounds so much better tho imo with superior treble > bass
11:51am 14/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
7030 posts
side effect of pumping more bass through the headphones?

most probably, why do u need mega bass in games anyways?
11:52am 14/04/11 Permalink
s
7 posts
I find that more bass makes explosions and the like much louder and rumbling, which for me feels more immersive. I like to feel like my ears are going to blow apart when a grenade goes off next to me :)
But positional audio is really important for immersiveness too, so would like to keep that as high quality as I can. But I don't do much online gaming where that is more important so if I have to choose, I'd probably go bass over 3d positioning.
12:10pm 14/04/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5774 posts
I like to feel like my ears are going to blow apart when a grenade goes off next to me :)
In other words, you want to ruin your sense of hearing.
12:26pm 14/04/11 Permalink
s
8 posts
lol, blowing my ears apart might have been a bit of an overstatement but yeah I probably do have the volume up a little high.
12:52pm 14/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:52pm 14/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.