Visceral's spin on the Battlefield series breaks the norm and introduces a story with depth. We take it for a ride!
Bringing a Story to Battlefield
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Catch of the Day TV price Samsung series 6 advice pls
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1359 posts
Hey,

This deal seems pretty good to me. I'm not up with tv's anymore and was wondering if this is a good deal or not for $984.00

Built with Samsung’s Clear Image Panels, these top end Plasma TVs produce clear images from almost every angle. With the highest quality picture available, Samsung’s Plasma technology has revolutionised TV beyond all expectations. Get smoother picture changes with crisper contours, sharper scrolling text and no juddering pictures, as well as amazing features like Internet@TV, where you can enjoy web content on your big screen, and the unique Eco Sensor which measures the intensity of the room’s light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen.
Samsung Series 6 full HD 50” plasma
Light controlling; Energy saving – measures the light in the room and adjusts the image on the screen to save power consumption
600Hz subfield motion for a sharper, clearer picture with no blurs, ghosts or judders
Internet@TV – enjoy web content and easy access to online features
Ultra slim design – so thin you need to see to believe!
All Share file transfer – transfer files from your PC, phone or other device wirelessly and effortlessly
Cinema Smooth - smoother images and colour temperatures closer to real film, for a theatre experience at home
Clear Image Panel uses a film filter instead of conventional glass to eliminate layered images giving you ultra-clear and blur-free viewing from almost every angle
Mega Dynamic Contrast – dense rich colour, blacker blacks and pristine whites
12 month Samsung warranty

Should I get it?
07:52pm 11/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:52pm 11/04/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31708 posts
Plasma

its s***

Should I get it?

only if you like s*** tvs

they are cheap, because they are getting rid of all the stock that discerning tv buyers havent bought
07:59pm 11/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
135 posts
+1 for what spook spruked
08:03pm 11/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1360 posts
I just found it cheaper than catchoftheday.com

http://www.exeltek.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=2195

aw pity its s***. Reviews I checked up on it seems very positive.
08:07pm 11/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3812 posts
Huh dont listen to these guys, Samsung Plasma's are generaly pretty awesome.

They are just pissed of cause they only get realy darks greys and visible pixels on their inferior LCD's
08:41pm 11/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
137 posts
viper, i'm still in CRT world, all 80cm of it,

led lcd, and not that side lighting s***

tho the aquaos (or what ever it is, it was a yellow led aswell as the normal rgb) is sweet on my colour blind eyes
08:43pm 11/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1362 posts
I too am still running CRT all 68cm of it.
08:45pm 11/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
939 posts
Catch of the day are s***. They probably only had like 2 tvs.
08:46pm 11/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
138 posts
rrrocket, wait a few more short years, and as all the unclean masses have gone aldi flat pannel mad, CRT's will be retro cool
09:06pm 11/04/11 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1958 posts
unique Eco Sensor
lol, what? do they mean unique as in "the tv only has one"? because many, many tvs have had such sensors.
10:01pm 11/04/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5730 posts
Its impossible to get a bad deal on top brand TVs.
They are practically giving them away.

Do you have Foxtel ?
If you have Foxtel SD then i wouldnt recommend a 50"
If you have Foxtel HD its droolworthy.
FTA is mostly SD and will look s***** on a 50"
If you are going to watch HD DVDs it will look awesome.

If you dont have Foxtel HD Id recommend getting a more expensive 42"
I dont know how ppl can watch SD on 50" tv.
Since you are upgrading from a CRT 68cm it will be brain splattering especially for games.

I cant believe that crap we are getting here on FTA TV.
I dont understand why Sport is not in HD.

10:02pm 11/04/11 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
19601 posts
Yep HD foxtel ftw here

looks sex on my Series 7 Sammy LED
10:08pm 11/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10538 posts
do it, i paid just under 5k for my 60" plasma 3-4 years ago now
at the time it was a bargain, these days it could be replaced with a better panel for $1800~ but I'm not bitter.. much

I'll be going plasma again when I do retire this 60" to my garage, the blacks are black and the picture quality is great at any angle/time of day/night
10:44pm 11/04/11 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
339 posts
I also spotted this deal. but im holding out for an LED LCD.
12:41am 12/04/11 Permalink
XaltD
Queensland
800 posts
The TV is good, the price is not.

There is a new series of panels out now for Samsung and that is an older model.

Inbox me and i'll sort a good price out for you :)
06:23am 12/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6333 posts
Samsung Series 6-9 LCD/LED and Sony Bravias are the only truly decent looking HDTVs on the market.

The others generally look like ass.

Plasmas have the refresh rate flicker of CRTs which is a problem unless it's over around 85Hz.
07:30am 12/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1589 posts
Plasmas look fantastic but I wouldn't buy one again.

Before buying mine (I think it's the same one but I bought it a few months before xmas), I looked up image burn-in as it was the only real concern between LCD and Plasma. Most of the things I read said that it was no longer an issue on modern plasmas so I bought mine with confidence. While permanent image retention might not be a major issue there is a s*** load of annoying temporary ghost images that can last for a few minutes if going from a static screen like a desktop to a movie. Also, you can't lay the things flat so you have to get them delivered which is an added expense.

At the time it was more than a $1000 less than the nearest LCD LED equivalent and looked a million times better than the standard back-lit LCD's around that were closer to the price so I still don't really regret it for a budget buy and the ghost images aren't that pervasive but for my next TV I'll definitely be going LCD. Blu-rays do look fan-f*****g-tastic on it though.
07:59am 12/04/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
14143 posts
lols plasma
08:02am 12/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6335 posts
Blurays look amazing on my 32" Samsung Series 6 LCD (newest revision).

Seriously, in terms of LCD/LED HDTVs, the only ones which I would actually buy are Samsung S6+ or a Bravia. The rest make the picture look like crap.

With plasmas I always notice the refresh flicker which is in CRTs. And further, I haven't seen a plasma that looked better than the aforementioned brands of LCD/LED HDTVs.
08:14am 12/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3813 posts
All the issues you people are talking about with plasmas, EG refresh rate flicker and burn in, were an issue with plasmas about 8-10 years ago.

I have an 8 year old LG plasma and you notice a bit of flicker on certain screens, and it has a bit of a yellow tings to the bottom 90% of the screen, mainly because it was used in a call centre showing the same thing for 7 years.

I also have a 2 year old Panasonic 50" Plasma, No Flicker, No burn in or image retention, SD or HD stuff looks awesome and you can buy them new for $1500.

Buy an LCD/LED if you want to pay twice as much just to say you you dont have a plasma, us plasma owners will just go watch our Awesome Bargain TV's with awesome blacks that are actually black.

Also if you get a plasma, you dont need a fireplace or a heater in winter, just turn the TV on and bask in the warm glow.
08:52am 12/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5415 posts
Also if you get a plasma, you dont need a fireplace or a heater in winter, just turn the TV on and bask in the warm glow.
then jump off a your own electricity bill and kill yourself because of how high it is.

Regarding the whole LCD vs Plasma debate, i've always gone by this simple rule:

LCD: Mainly for games, hook up to PC.
Plasma: Watching TV, especially sports.

Not sure how both technologies have improved over the years but since i play games more than i watch TV (aussie TV, lol) i will just about always go with the former.
08:58am 12/04/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
782 posts
Do you notice a power consumption difference between the two different panels Viper? I changed from a plasma to lcd about three months before my last electricity bill and I was $95 in credit (I pay most of my bills weekly) where before I would usually be about even.
09:01am 12/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3814 posts
Dont know the difference between the old and the new plasma, as I actually only got the old plasma recently when we took it down at work.

But at my old house when we had one of those energy meters, I took note of the power usage of the Plasma, and It was alot less than I though it was going to be.

I think it used about 700-800 watts.
09:20am 12/04/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
783 posts
yeah the newer ones wouldn't use much more than an lcd these days, was curious about the old one.
09:37am 12/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10541 posts
cant say i've ever experienced a burn-in problem, mine stays on my mac mini desktop pretty regularly too
09:46am 12/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6338 posts
I think it used about 700-800 watts.

Holy sheet.

My 32" LCD burns 120W maximum.
10:08am 12/04/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
8844 posts
700-800w! that's over 3 amps!
geez
10:12am 12/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3816 posts
Well it probably wasnt as high as 700-800 watts, thats just what the whole house went up to at night with the plasma on.
11:13am 12/04/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
8846 posts
well thats no indication at all then!
11:27am 12/04/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5732 posts
700 watts ?

MY Plasma has a low power mode.
theres 4 settings, i usually watch SD in lowest power mode if its not something good. If its Rugby League or Cricket or a good movie i will bump up the power mode but I actually found the first low power mode (slightly less than full power) it improves SD picture quality.

I have to admit my old mans 42" Hisense LED is pretty sweet and would recomend them. $920 at JB although ive heard the LEDs may have a short lifespan for some reason, something to do with the backlit ?

11:49am 12/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1590 posts
I have to admit my old mans 42" Hisense LED is pretty sweet and would recomend them. $920 at JB although ive heard the LEDs may have a short lifespan for some reason, something to do with the backlit ?
The back lighting is the LED part, they aren't OLED screens but LED backlit LCDs. LEDs should last longer than the CFLs used in older model LCDs. I have heard that OLED screens used in mobile phones have a half life of only about 5 years though so maybe that's where your information comes from.

cant say i've ever experienced a burn-in problem, mine stays on my mac mini desktop pretty regularly too

Yep, everything I read said it shouldn't happen on a new screen yet I can clearly see the ghost of my desktop during the first few minutes of watching a blu-ray and the black bars from the 2 hour long movie are visible for awhile after as well. It has been getting better though but I've had it for near on 6 months now I think.

On a lighter note, I watched Media Watch this morning and apparently a news report on channel 7 was going on about a plasma manufacturer looking at moving it's business overseas due to the rising dollar, all this while they showed pictures of TV's in a retail store. Turns out the company that makes plasmas, CSL, makes human plasma for medical purposes.
12:49pm 12/04/11 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
991 posts
12:58pm 12/04/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5735 posts
haha that plasma story on mediawatch was hilarious.

I havent had a burn in but I notice it takes about ten minutes to lose the 4:3 black bars from older shows. Ive had mine for 18months and it looks as good as the day i got it.

Unrotunately there just isnt any HD content worth watching.
I really miss Sport but also ABC-HD had some excellent shows last year.

Did I mention how PISSED OFF I am at FTA HD ?
all these ppl buying 50"+ TVs are going to get vocal soon.
Channel 9 Your home of Sport delayed and in SD. what a joke !
02:40pm 12/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5420 posts
Channel 9 Your home of Sport delayed and in SD. what a joke !
All those channels are a joke.

You might as well turn off your plasma and really make use of your blacker blacks!
02:43pm 12/04/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6339 posts
700-800w! that's over 3 amps!
geez

3 coloumbs per second!
02:56pm 12/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
140 posts
eh, look at it this way, sony have been media leaders, with a history of hanging on to tech longer than customers need for it
(mini disk, laser disk, and more or less a few other things)

phillips have rarely made a bad choice regarding a tech they will support,

both these makers no longer make plasma, or support it

this alone should tell you what road to go down

as for burn-in, plasma's are still prone to it, the way they minimise the risk is image washes, grey boxes etc, however the life of the TV are up near 100,000hours, but that said, i hate that power bill

there are a number of LCD TV that have okay viewing angles (but not as great as plasma), and the bonus is you can get an LCD panel in a size that will suit, (bigger is not better,) going to large in a smaller room will make most of your DVD collection crap, then you'll have the expense of going all blue ray

two more months and the end of fin year sales, teamed with a strong dollar should see the prices go down fast, japanese components should be free flowing by then which will help the price drop too
04:34pm 12/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1364 posts
I've since discovered this TV is available on a few sites slightly cheaper and with cheaper delivery - To be honest I'd be happy with this TV. I don't have/need fox.

I don't play games on it just for some tv and movies.
08:12pm 12/04/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5529 posts
going to large in a smaller room will make most of your DVD collection crap, then you'll have the expense of going all blue ray

I have no idea why you would buy a big expensive tv and then watch dvd's on it..

But still... LCD > Plasma.
08:14pm 12/04/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5743 posts
Well unless you have a blu-ray or like watching the nanny or black and white movies in HD you arent going to get a lot out of it. You really should get a 42".
get a 42" and get Foxtel for the same price.
Sports package + Showtime Movies = Good Beans !
08:24pm 12/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10546 posts
I have no idea why you would buy a big expensive tv and then watch dvd's on it..

lols @ disc media

nas$ sudo mfiutil -u0 show volumes
mfi0 Volumes:
Id Size Level Stripe State Cache Name
mfid0 ( 8382G) RAID-5 512K OPTIMAL Writes
mfid1 ( 8382G) RAID-5 512K OPTIMAL Writes
nas$ sudo mfiutil -u1 show volumes
mfi1 Volumes:
Id Size Level Stripe State Cache Name
mfid2 ( 8382G) RAID-5 256K OPTIMAL Disabled
nas$

new toy
08:38pm 12/04/11 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
997 posts
10:06am 13/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06am 13/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.