AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Recommend a light weight notebook/tablet for me to recommend my part...
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
99 posts
the girls got currently a very high end thinkpad, but while the battery life is okay, it is alot of value for her to lug around (it also isn't light and all the extra crap she carries, it is poor me that lugs it more often than not)

the reason she is looking is as a mad keen photographer (yet more not cheap fun toys that aren't light for me "to hold for just a moment") she would like to pull out the SD and see the photos on a bigger screen, chuck em on a photoshop aplet, bam, see if shes happy

she is looking at spending big bucks, i thought the lenovo's that are on the cheap at the moment (13" edge) or and asus eeepc which at good ole umart is about half the price of the lenovo, but i just want to make sure i'm not missing a product that would cover her needs, and be easy to carry around, what ever it is it would need an full sized SD reader, and at least 1 USB port, 4+hours of use would be good, and 7" - 13"inch screen, any bigger/smaller would defeat the purpose

TIA
06:30pm 06/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:30pm 06/04/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3497 posts
mabook air
06:37pm 06/04/11 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
3498 posts
oh just read the sd card reader, then macbook 13" pro
06:40pm 06/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
102 posts
yeah i looked at those, and i figure because of the use it will be getting, it isn't worth the air,

she only has a laptop, no PC, (well she uses mine) and really her lappy craps all over most mid - highend PC in all but gaming, she isn't going to be replacing that anytime soon,

if she was replacing the lappy, yeah the air would make sense, but that just isn't going to happen, over her dead body (hell, it is so highly regarded i don't get to use it)
06:43pm 06/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3791 posts
Ill obviously get flamed as an apple fanboy, but why not get an iPad?

The camera connection kit gives you a USB and SD card reader, bam, pictures on a big screen that is easy to navigate.

Battery life is going to be better than any laptop, then ease of use is going to be better than a netbook, cause the keyboards generaly suck on netbooks, and its gonna be faster than a netbook.
06:45pm 06/04/11 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5214 posts
mbp 13"
06:47pm 06/04/11 Permalink
Grimy
Brisbane, Queensland
354 posts
Don't be fooled, Viper is actually Steve Jobs...
06:51pm 06/04/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3418 posts
oh just read the sd card reader, then macbook 13" pro
get a usb card reader?

what's the weigh difference between air and pro anyway?
06:52pm 06/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
103 posts
Viper, this might sound a little uninformed on by behalf, but can an ipad run photoshop?, and how is it with managing the files (ie, if the card needs to be cleaned, or photos culled, is it easy to do so from the ipad)

reso, not getting a mbp, yes they are little, but overkill for the needs, it would feel like doubling up, bearing in mind i also have a PC, and laptop of some capability, we really dont need another capable of everything laptop, unless it were to replace something, which it wouldn't be at this stage
06:54pm 06/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
104 posts
really cant see the point in spending $1600+ for it
06:55pm 06/04/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
316 posts
Photoshop is coming out for iPad soon i believe, but i wouldn't use it as a laptop replacement. I have a 13" MBP, but if had had to go PC I'd be looking at the new Lenovo Edge 220s. 12", small light, stylish, new sandy bridge CPU's, USB3 etc.

07:06pm 06/04/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7089 posts
Air has SD card reader???
07:28pm 06/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10470 posts
yeah, Air for rizzle
perfect for your situation
09:06pm 06/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3792 posts
Viper, this might sound a little uninformed on by behalf, but can an ipad run photoshop?, and how is it with managing the files (ie, if the card needs to be cleaned, or photos culled, is it easy to do so from the ipad)

There's a video on youtube of a new photoshop concept for the ipad, no release dates or anything, but adobe would be crazy not to release it, and soon.

there is a few existing photo editing apps out there, havent used any personally.

How much actualy "photoshopping" would she actually do on the device though? wouldnt it be more for looking at pictures on a bigger, and deleting bad ones? Not sure much actual editing, cause she would obviously do that at home on the more powerfull laptop.
09:15pm 06/04/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1828 posts
IPad for a good size review screen but I would hesitate to recommend it fir any sort of editing.

Without a mouse to easily navigate it would be a pain using any editing software I would think.

We have an SLR and during a recent holiday used the iPad to review the days pics. Good size screen for that.

There's a few apps out there for photo management but none that I've seen for editing to match photoshop yet.
09:44pm 06/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10474 posts
air will run photoshop
10:03pm 06/04/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4099 posts
we just bought these HP's for work, alot faster then the Atom processor, was quite impress pretty cheap too so u could add a SSD hdd drive in. the keyboard they use on these things feel exactly the same as the apple keyboard

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1622895
10:09am 07/04/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
109 posts
thanks tit, sounds about right for what she needs (and 1/3 the price of apples cheaper options)
04:15pm 07/04/11 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
209 posts
motorola Xoom is pretty epic. glad I sold my ipad for it.
04:24pm 07/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:24pm 07/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.