AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Roland reduces Aus pricing Vs Online sales
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5641 posts
In the past few months, unless you lived in a cave, you would have seen publicity about online shopping. High profile retailers and wholesalers have stated their cases, and the public has responded in kind.

As both sides have entered the debate, it has become more and more apparent the only reason to buy online is price.

Buying from overseas leaves the purchaser with no warranty, no compliance to Australian electrical requirements (eg C-Tick), no service and no telephone or online support. Of course, if the product doesn’t suit the buyer’s needs, a whole new set of problems arise.

Roland believes that Australians want to buy locally, but unless a customer finds a retailer having a sale event on a Roland or Boss product, the price difference can sometimes encourage overseas purchases.

Roland Australia is addressing this by realigning their suggested selling price to be closer to US and local street prices. This ensures that our customers get a globally competitive price.

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/articles/default.aspx?a=20293

I hope this idea takes off and not just in the Music Industry.
Ive thought about buying online from America but have been worried about what happens when you get a Lemon. Fender have a huge mark-up on their gear here, hopefully they will drop their pricing too.

02:50pm 01/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:50pm 01/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10414 posts
rolland don't just make music gear, they make all sorts of s***
but this is awesome, a welcome step in the right direction
02:56pm 01/04/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7441 posts
As both sides have entered the debate, it has become more and more apparent the only reason to buy online is price.

lol, what?

Anyway, where are the new prices? I need to get my kiddie a PM-10 drum amp thingo and had previoulsy ruled out Roland due to the price... I'd like to know what price it ius now :)

last edited by mission at 15:49:48 01/Apr/11
03:48pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5311 posts
As both sides have entered the debate, it has become more and more apparent the only reason to buy online is price
Yeah, what about the convenience of shopping from your own home? delivery straight to your door? the ability to compare prices with a click of a button? if we're spending most of our time online for just about everything it only makes sense to shop online as well, It's not just to find a bargain. Pfft.
04:01pm 01/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1539 posts
So they have been over charging us and we're supposed to be grateful that they are going to start pricing more reasonably? Actually all they are really doing is dropping their RRP to a level closer to what people expect to pay through deals/sales or foreign imports. So basically they will still charge retailers the same wholesale price but set the RRP much lower so they won't have the same margin, in the end they sacrifice nothing themselves but still feel the need for a pat on the back.
04:40pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9319 posts
I thin kthey mean the only reason to shop online ovserseas is price; kind of implied by the fact that all the drawbacks they mention only apply to OS online shopping.

So they have been over charging us and we're supposed to be grateful that they are going to start pricing more reasonably? Actually all they are really doing is dropping their RRP to a level closer to what people expect to pay through deals/sales or foreign imports. So basically they will still charge retailers the same wholesale price but set the RRP much lower so they won't have the same margin, in the end they sacrifice nothing themselves but still feel the need for a pat on the back.

Wat? Anything to back this up? I don't think that the retailers would be particularly happy with that.
04:45pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6870 posts
please dear god look at games, electronics, clothes.... pretty much everything here is ridiculously overpriced compared to alot of overseas countries.

The gov likes to tax every single thing we do. Oh s*** you guys work, we'll take some of that, f*** did u just buy a new car or house: we will need some of that extra cash u must have.

Werent there even talks of puttin a gst style tax on imported goods so they can get a cut from buying online.
04:47pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6871 posts
the biggest joke is how expensive alcohol is here, im not a big drinker anymore but its f***** insane compared to other countries.

You can get a f***** 6pack of XXXX beer that is made in milton, cheaper in new zealand than u can here, a few kms from where it is made.

04:48pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1270 posts
It does all come down to price though. Everyone compares everything online with a price tag. Hell, I did it with my 3DS, and found JB to be the cheapest. So I went with them.
04:49pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5313 posts
Sounds to me like they're merely trying to get on that first mover advantage by being 'the 1st to compete with online pricing'. Not because they give a s*** about consumers but they want to generate more sales on lower profit margins. They're business after all.
04:52pm 01/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1540 posts
Wat? Anything to back this up? I don't think that the retailers would be particularly happy with that.

Reading comprehension? What do you think "realigning their suggested selling price to be closer to US and local street prices." in conjunction with the rest of the article means exactly? They are "realigning" their RRP, they make no mention of dropping the actual wholesale cost of their products.
04:55pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9320 posts
the biggest joke is how expensive alcohol is here, im not a big drinker anymore but its f***** insane compared to other countries.

You can get a f***** 6pack of XXXX beer that is made in milton, cheaper in new zealand than u can here, a few kms from where it is made.

I think this is sin tax though, rather than a market issue?
Sounds to me like they're merely trying to get on that first mover advantage by being 'the 1st to compete with online pricing'. Not because they give a s*** about consumers but they want to generate more sales on lower profit margins. They're business after all.

Its exactly what it is, and an effort to shore up flagging local retail. Nobody ever drops prices because they <3 anyone.
04:55pm 01/04/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3781 posts
it is important to remember that internet prices from USA do not include local taxes (this is added at the checkout stage) and also do not include freight, warranty, insurance, service or support.

Good move by roland but this line still puzzles me.

Sure if you import it you dont get the warranty, service or support, but the price you see that people in the USA pay, includes Warranty Service and Support that they can use, because well, they are in America, so its a bit disingenuous to say the USA price doesn't include those things.

Its like they are setting themselves up with a fallback position for when the prices still dont come as low as the US.

04:58pm 01/04/11 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
12379 posts
well they're going to lose even more money now since no ones makes a profit selling stuff online.
05:00pm 01/04/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Other International
14383 posts
I'm seeing 700ml bottle of basic spirits (vodka, rums etc) here in Taiwan for 15 f*****g dollars! a 20 pack of cigarettes will cost you $2.50
05:12pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5314 posts
I'm seeing 700ml bottle of basic spirits (vodka, rums etc) here in Taiwan for 15 f*****g dollars! a 20 pack of cigarettes will cost you $2.50
Imagine buying a s***load of ciggies from Taiwan for 2.50 pack and importing em in without tax. I'd eventually become a serial killer cause i'd making a KILLING.
05:19pm 01/04/11 Permalink
scuzzy
Other International
14384 posts
I've no idea how this compares to the average Taiwanese wage though, so it could be meaningless.
05:26pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5315 posts
It won't stop me from becoming a serial killer :)
05:27pm 01/04/11 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
792 posts
Music gear is such a rip off in aus - it will be interesting to see if music stores follow suit and drop their prices if the manufacturer drops their RRP!
07:11pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9324 posts
Reading comprehension? What do you think "realigning their suggested selling price to be closer to US and local street prices." in conjunction with the rest of the article means exactly? They are "realigning" their RRP, they make no mention of dropping the actual wholesale cost of their products.

They make no mention of wholesale price at all.

Perhaps it is you who should learn to comprehend what you read before decrying the skills of others; you're assuming that they are screwing retailers on margins without any basis whatsoever.

I'm not saying that they aren't doing that, rather that there is insufficient evidence to make that claim. Hence the call for a source.
07:15pm 01/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1541 posts
Yeah that's why I said reading comprehension. I read the article, I comprehended it and formed the only reasonable conclusion that could be made given the information. If they were simply lowering prices they would have said so in the PR release but instead they specifically mentioned RRP, they specifically said that they were bringing the RRP in line with the sale prices expected to be found in stores and with US products. Since it is a PR piece, if they were dropping prices in general they would have said so, the fact that they made no mention of it at all tells you that they are not doing so.

If you want to wait for them to specifically spell it out to you then you are welcome to do so but I think you will be waiting a while.
08:50pm 01/04/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7116 posts
do it scuzzy! Get on border security! They'll never suspect the whitey coming in from taiwan!

P.s. Pix?
09:46pm 01/04/11 Permalink
SquarkyD
Brisbane, Queensland
6134 posts

Because what they do with the wholesale price is no business of the consumer, and all discussion of such matters is handled between the reps and the stores directly.

But if you reeeealy have to know, yes a lot of wholesale prices went down along with RRP's today for several brands.
10:11pm 01/04/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7567 posts
Sooooo have these crazy new low prices actually filtered through to shops yet?

The PM-10 active speaker is still $450 online, same as last year? It even states that price on the Roland website :/
11:13am 12/05/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7568 posts
Looks like it's all a crock of s***.

Roland state the they have replaced the RRP pricing structure with the SSP (Suggested Selling Price) structure to more closely align with US pricing. One catch though, it's the same price! Awesome.

Just rang a store and yes, $450 same as last year.
11:22am 12/05/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9095 posts
a 20 pack of cigarettes will cost you $2.50

Because we want more smokers...
12:01pm 12/05/11 Permalink
Jim
Ireland
12214 posts
750ml spirits 17-22 euros awwwyeah
12:08pm 12/05/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:08pm 12/05/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close