Visceral's spin on the Battlefield series breaks the norm and introduces a story with depth. We take it for a ride!
Bringing a Story to Battlefield
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Kogan give free HDMI cables to Jbhifi customers
hef
Queensland
1842 posts
I think its a great idea by Kogan. Sure its a publicity stunt, but whatevs..

Why anyone would pay $199 for a HDMI cable anyway is beyond me, but I am sure their are plenty of people who have fallen trap to it because they just don't know any better.

Original Offer Link

Offer extended

The campaign has been tremendously successful, but there is a lot of work left to do to help Australians save their hard earned money.

We are trying to bring the overpriced cable rort to the public's attention in a bid to force the big retailers to cut out this dodgy practice.

Unfortunately, Australian shoppers are still being asked to pay an arm and a leg for a cable when they should only be spending a few dollars.

Big bricks-and-mortar retailers need to know it's not OK to trick people into spending too much on overpriced accessories like HDMI cables.

Any Australian customer who buys a TV from JB Hi-Fi from January 1 2011 will be eligible to redeem a free Kogan 1.4 HDMI cable while the promotion is running. The giveaway will now run indefinitely.

Customers who email their JB Hi-Fi proof of purchase to jbcon@kogan.com.au will be sent their free HDMI cable. Full terms and conditions are available here.

You've heard of the milk price wars, the bread wars, even the beer wars. It's now time for the accessory wars!

On what other accessories do you think Australians are being ripped off?
08:12pm 30/03/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:12pm 30/03/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3774 posts
Why anyone would pay $199 for a HDMI cable anyway is beyond me

Last time I went to Harvey norman, I looked for the most expensive HDMI cable they had, it was $399.

I realy want to ask for the manager and make a scene and tell them that it should be fraud to rip off people that much, but then I didnt care.

08:19pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
31627 posts
i only use gold connector hdmi cables becausei need my picture to look that good;

im a plasma owner
08:21pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5469 posts
lol spook.
08:22pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
741 posts
I only use "Monster" brand cables as I am a pretentious wanker.
08:23pm 30/03/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
7495 posts
good on them, I know quite a few people that have been cheated on HDMI cables
08:25pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5289 posts
Just wow..

Jaycar sell 4 HDMI cables for $25 or something.

Giving out a free cable with large enough purchase such as a TV is not a big deal either despite what Kogan make it out to be.

On what other accessories do you think Australians are being ripped off?
Why limit yourself to just accessories? we get ripped off on everything, including games with multiplayer unlock codes that are BANNED in our region forcing us to smuggle games like they're some dangerous contraband and creating fake overseas accounts to only end up playing with s***** latencies WITHOUT being able to download and pay for overly expensive DLC's because our government sucks d***.

Oh and on and top of that we pay twice as much as anywhere else around the world AND we're expected not to import or pirate games.

Argh hold me back man!!!

p.s. brb going to pirate media and import accessories for no reason other than to calm myself down.
08:33pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18380 posts
Why would you pay $300 for a HDMI cable?

Whoah, whoah, right there spinach chin! I'm looking at the CA website and they sell 5m ones for $29. What are you talking about that cost $300????
08:34pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
742 posts
When game/gametraders were bought out by their english counterparts (I think thats what was going on just remember cheap s***.) I bought 5 hdmi cables for $4 each with free postage. Price tag on them said $39.99 so I saved a bit.
08:39pm 30/03/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10393 posts
man, I need to start selling HDMI cables
where do they find these suckers?
08:52pm 30/03/11 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3221 posts
i only use gold connector hdmi cables becausei need my picture to look that good;

im a plasma owner

it makes sense now, you need to buy an LCD to get a good picture, not an overpriced cable.
08:56pm 30/03/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6812 posts
$300 HDMI cables have nothing on my $499 1.5m CAT5 cable.
08:57pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4318 posts
Giving out a free cable with large enough purchase such as a TV is not a big deal either despite what Kogan make it out to be.
You missed the point completely.
09:04pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3092 posts
If someone hasn't done enough research to realise that $300 for a digital cable is astronomically overpriced, why should Harvey Norman or JB feel bad about parting that customer from money they obviously don't need?
09:13pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5471 posts
lol at the reviews for these cables.

This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be sometime around 2007 for whomever is reading this. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES. Something... happens with them. Something came through, something from somewhere else. We were overrun in days, not many of us are left. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND! ONLY YOU CAN STOP IT NOW. SAVE US. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES.

I don't have much time. This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be--

09:25pm 30/03/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3325 posts
09:27pm 30/03/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10396 posts
haha gold plated connectors on a toslink cable

this is obviously catering to people who know a grand total of 0 about audio gear
09:34pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5472 posts
jesus christ....
09:35pm 30/03/11 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1761 posts
gold plated connectors hahahaha
09:36pm 30/03/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5614 posts
Kogan TVs are terrible.

09:46pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18382 posts
I remember when Creative brought out sound cards 10 years ago with gold plating. What happened? Same with Kodac Gold CD's. S*** still sounds the same.

LOL
09:47pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
188 posts
bro works at jb hifi. get free s*** all the time
09:48pm 30/03/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1528 posts
Dedicated DENON LINK cable made of high-purity copper wire
high-purity produces noiseless sound and clearer clarity. You guys just don't get it, you save money by spending more.
09:49pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8996 posts
HDMI is such a stupid non-standard standard.

6 (or more, tho some might say 5) different standards all with the same connector.

And as of the latest revision the cable manufacturers aren't "allowed" to say which version they are instead it's these wankey phrases like "High Speed HDMI Cable" which is the minimum for 1080p apparently.
09:50pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5473 posts
high-purity produces noiseless sound and clearer clarity. You guys just don't get it, you save money by spending more.

I hope this is sarcasm.
09:51pm 30/03/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3776 posts
I really think it should be illegal for places like Harvey Norman to sell a hdmi cable for $350, it's just plain fraud.

It's claiming to do things that it can't do.

09:56pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
18170 posts
I think I paid like $9 for my last HDMI cable
I remember when Creative brought out sound cards 10 years ago with gold plating. What happened? Same with Kodac Gold CD's. S*** still sounds the same.

LOL
what's the go with gold plated stuff? every gold plated thing I've ever had, has tarnished and been WORSE than normal plugs. I don't go actively looking for the gold ones, I just always seem to end up with them.
09:59pm 30/03/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5616 posts
HDMI is old tech, theres a new one coming, cant rem the name.

10:00pm 30/03/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6034 posts
something about fools and their money
10:04pm 30/03/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
840 posts
gold plated connectors hahahaha

So what's the deal with gold plated connectors? I don't actually own a tv, so never really done much looking in to HDMI.
10:28pm 30/03/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5619 posts
10:36pm 30/03/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
842 posts
HDMI is Dead
Long live HD Base T

http://www.hdbaset.org/

http://www.hdbaset.org/images/public/news_images/5Play_Image_web.jpg

Everything needs to be wifi in the future. I f*****g hate cables.
10:40pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3094 posts
So what's the deal with gold plated connectors?

Gold plating used to be used to provide an electrically conductive coating to prevent corrosion on the cable's connection points. When we were passing analog signals down TV cables corrosion on the connector can cause noticeable degradation, but when the signal is digital/optical...not so much.

Nowadays gold plating is just a marketing check box so that ignorant plebs deciding between your product and another product don't use it to make a stupid purchase decision.
10:44pm 30/03/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5620 posts
I read the terms and it says you get a 3 meter cable + delivery charges
Does that mean I pay the delivery fee ? how much is it ?
10:44pm 30/03/11 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
3030 posts
If someone hasn't done enough research to realise that $300 for a digital cable is astronomically overpriced, why should Harvey Norman or JB feel bad about parting that customer from money they obviously don't need?

The problem is HN, etc don't just stock these fraud cables, they actively push them onto the customers, claiming they do all sorts of fancy s*** that just simply isn't true. They can be VERY pushy when it's someone old / clueless looking.
11:05pm 30/03/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3369 posts
Just wow..
Why limit yourself to just accessories? we get ripped off on everything, including games with multiplayer unlock codes that are BANNED in our region forcing us to smuggle games like they're some dangerous contraband and creating fake overseas accounts to only end up playing with s***** latencies WITHOUT being able to download and pay for overly expensive DLC's because our government sucks d***.
Get out of our country if you hate it so much.

Seriously.

No really, I'm considering doing that myself in the future after even only a small amount of traveling and seeing different' places, different systems, and different economies.
11:08pm 30/03/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5474 posts
HDMI cables are overpriced! I'm f*****g outta here!

cya later losers
11:10pm 30/03/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7439 posts
Does that mean I pay the delivery fee ? how much is it ?

$349
11:13pm 30/03/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2612 posts
The only time I hear people pushing these cables is when people who look over the age of 50 are buying a new TV or something. Actually that is a lie. I had 1 guy try and push a $200 hdmi cable on me for my PS3 in JB at pacific fair. He said that it provided the best sound and image quality possible and I said yeah the $30 ones do that too, and I save $170" and he didn't look happy with me. F*** him though.

How someone hasn't made a big stink over this though already is quite surprising.
12:40am 31/03/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
327 posts
How someone hasn't made a big stink over this though already is quite surprising.

Probably because most ppl just go elsewhere.
03:02am 31/03/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
328 posts
I found a 15m PureAV HDMI cable at JB Hi-Fi in Woden (Canberra) for $599

huge cable was hueg
03:08am 31/03/11 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
1117 posts
I had no idea HDMI cables had to have gold plated connectors to work
05:35am 31/03/11 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
1118 posts
I found a 15m PureAV HDMI cable at JB Hi-Fi in Woden (Canberra) for $599

huge cable was hueg

yeah but was it gold?
05:36am 31/03/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5175 posts
More importantly, will it blend?
06:12am 31/03/11 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
6525 posts
Get out of our country if you hate it so much.

Seriously.

No really, I'm considering doing that myself in the future after even only a small amount of traveling and seeing different' places, different systems, and different economies.

I'm also thinking about it very seriously... Living in another place for a substantial period of time does open your eyes to a lot of differences. Some better, some not so much.

I don't hate Australia, but some of the laws/policies/pricing of things are pretty lame/frustrating... I mainly want a colder climate which you don't get easily in Aus.
07:04am 31/03/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
719 posts
Everything needs to be wifi in the future. I f*****g hate cables.

Die in a fire. Try using wifi in a completely rendered-double-brick-walled house. USELESS. Can't run cables (properly) cos it's rented. BOOOO.
09:18am 31/03/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4078 posts
i have monster cables at home only because there was special and i paid $40 for them
09:20am 31/03/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4176 posts
Parents house was awesome, they did a Reno when I was ~17 so my older brother and I fully ran cables everywhere when we were allowed to make holes in the walls. Sweet setup.

Cables running over the floor/above cupboards in my house now :/
Was thinking of drilling holes... and we are going to be here a long time, so it might be worth it... so much effort though...
09:24am 31/03/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3777 posts
i have monster cables at home only because there was special and i paid $40 for them

If you payed $40 for a 1-1.5 mtr HDMI you still payed $30 too much for it.
09:26am 31/03/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4079 posts
yeah this was 3 yrs ago....
09:42am 31/03/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3326 posts
I mainly want a colder climate which you don't get easily in Aus.

I bet you're fat.
12:02pm 31/03/11 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
14807 posts
Yeah, WIFI is ass in my doublebrick house too.
Thankfully, I can drill through my wood floors and go under the house :D
12:19pm 31/03/11 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
14808 posts
I bet you're fat.

Im with rubba.
6ft, 72kgs... wish it was 0deg!

Working a 6 month snow season was awesome - bye bye sweat! (well, you still sweat inside your jacket when its -15deg, but whatever :D)
12:20pm 31/03/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8999 posts
Parents house was awesome, they did a Reno when I was ~17 so my older brother and I fully ran cables everywhere when we were allowed to make holes in the walls. Sweet setup.

I have cat6 cable everywhere, and a data cabinet
2 in every bedroom
12 in the office
4 at the tv, 2 in the kitchen, have the phone patched in as well.
802.11abgn incase I missed anywhere ... f*** I am a nerd

But foxtel came to do an install and the installers got a hardon at how easy it was.

60s style highset hardwood home was easy to do (except that hardwood is f*****g hard).
08:28pm 31/03/11 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
6529 posts
I bet you're fat.

Incorrect!

182cm 80kg and I work as a snowboarding instructor so I'm outside everyday ;)

I have an extremely fast metabolism and the side effect of that is your body runs hot. I don't feel the cold like most people, sometimes my buddies have 5+ layers on and I have a T-shirt and an uninsulated jacket on. Conversely the heat f**** me over big time. Summer in Oz I can't stop sweating and I hate it with a passion.

Living in the snow is my paradise.
This upcoming winter will be my fourth in a row and I'm gonna keep them rolling back to back as long as I can!

last edited by rubba-chikin at 05:54:28 01/Apr/11
05:52am 01/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:52am 01/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.