Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
why I think notebooks r us is a bad company
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1725 posts
Right. At the risk of a forum backlash I'm lodging my reasoning why this company is a pile of s***.

Let me set a scene:

Mum knows nothing about computers.
Needs computer asap for new job.
Goes to said company for new pc.
Tells seller her needs.(mostly office work, travel, etc.)
Knowing little about pcs, I help her by speaking to seller over the phone saying that she needs the following:

4gb RAM, 500gb hdd, I7/I5 office basic (student and teacher). Preferably lenovo or something durable.

Thats a 1200 dollar machine max. More for a lenovo probably.

She walks out with a $1600 2gb office professional Toshiba piece of s***.

Am I wrong with being annoyed with the clear exploitation of the sales guy?

Edit: on my phone so forgive me if I can't rage as much as possible..

Edited by Jim: prepended 'why I think' to the subject line
08:28pm 29/03/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:28pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1695 posts
you should be annoyed at yourself for not getting it yourself for your mum. from umart or MSY.
08:31pm 29/03/11 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
1112 posts
Would have been better off going to bloody harvey norman
08:33pm 29/03/11 Permalink
taggs
4971 posts
caveat emptor
08:34pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
4977 posts
Bagging a company because you couldn't be there in person to help your mother?
If anything your mothers at fault for making the purchase, she should have gotten better help than you on the phone.
08:35pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5281 posts
The answer is clearly Napalm
08:36pm 29/03/11 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1726 posts
you should be annoyed at yourself for not getting it yourself for your mum. from umart or MSY.

Agreed. Probably half the reason why I'm raging- but the point I'm trying to make is that even when clear instructions are given d*******s like 'Gerard' still tale advantage of people.
08:36pm 29/03/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
7484 posts
08:37pm 29/03/11 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1728 posts
I was pitching for the whole 'defenseless buyer Vs business thing' :p
08:47pm 29/03/11 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
7435 posts
Post pix of mum pls
08:51pm 29/03/11 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3220 posts
you should have just ordered a dell online.

i guess lesson learnt.

also, tell your mum i can't make it this weekend.
08:54pm 29/03/11 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
377 posts
When you spoke to them on the phone did they quote you models and prices that encouraged you to send your mum there, specifically in search for said quoted models?
08:55pm 29/03/11 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1786 posts
you're a wanker.

the sales guy was doing his job... ie: squeeze as much money out of someone as they can.

its called doing business. next time get off your arse and get it for her and don't b**** about the circumstances or the price tag.
09:02pm 29/03/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
824 posts
Really it's your own fault for not being there. I generally make sure I am with family when they buy stuff computer related, but since they switched to mac there is no point. Everything they buy will be way overpriced for what you're getting. But they're happy, so who am I to complain.
09:08pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5282 posts
I bet i could get Konstie's mum to hop in bed with me and have her pay me to leave.

lol jk dude.
09:09pm 29/03/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6028 posts
You fail but its their fault? Typical
09:13pm 29/03/11 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3397 posts
And this is why I get my Dad's credit card and buy a computer for him when he needs one.
09:20pm 29/03/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10374 posts
your mum should have shopped around before committing to a buy
09:21pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5730 posts
the sales guy was doing his job... ie: squeeze as much money out of someone as they can.its called doing business.
That's not true, you sell the customer what fits their needs. If they find out you ripped them off by getting them to buy something more expensive than they needed, they won't come back and they'll tell everyone they know about their bad experience. That can easily add up to 30-40 people who won't shop with you from one bad sale.
09:29pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9489 posts
It's a dog eat dog world, mate. Yes, they are ruthless, but no more ruthless than the companies that you have worked for.
09:43pm 29/03/11 Permalink
StrangeRash
1323 posts
i blame all the foreigners, before they came everyone here was fair dinkum aussie... now i hafta pay $12 a kilo for my bananas

struth!

09:47pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1217 posts
Yeah, don't go asking a person who is foreign to technology to go and purchase something themselves. They will always just take what they are given if it sounds good.

Though, that laptop looks and sounds like s***. $1650 for something that only has 2GB DDR3, and a i5 and 512mb mobile GPU. Bit of a rip off indeed.
09:48pm 29/03/11 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6392 posts
You should have helped her in person.

Tell her to take it back then?
09:49pm 29/03/11 Permalink
darkjedi
Hobart, Tasmania
3044 posts
+1 to "why didn't you go in yourself?". Caveat emptor indeed.

(Should've bought a Macbook)
09:58pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9492 posts
You should have helped her in person.

Tell her to take it back then?

Yeah what's the returns policy?
10:10pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1220 posts
Usually you can return a laptop within 1 week I believe, if it's not what was advertised or told.
10:32pm 29/03/11 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7125 posts
Like what ara said, get Dell online next time.
10:38pm 29/03/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10378 posts
It never hurts to ask, but ;

Guarantees, refunds and warranties
Printable view

Everything you buy must do its job properly and last a reasonable time depending on its price. This is called a consumer guarantee.

Before you buy

Think carefully about the item and what you want it to do.
Shop around and look for the best deal-compare the quality and price.
Ask for advice from experts, family and friends.
Check the goods carefully for dints, rips, fraying edges or loose parts.
You are entitled to get your money back, an exchange or a repair if goods or services:

were faulty when you bought them and you didn´t know
do not match the salesperson´s or advertisement´s description
do not match the sample you were shown when you bought it
do not do the job you were led to believe.
You are NOT entitled to a refund if you:

change your mind or don´t want it
realise you can´t afford it

find the same item at a cheaper prices elsewhere
knew about the fault before you bought it
caused the fault.
10:41pm 29/03/11 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1787 posts
That's not true, you sell the customer what fits their needs.

bulls***.

find me someone who went into business to be nice and kind. they are in it to make money first and foremost.

that mob in the OP made and extra $400ish or whatever for selling to a clueless person - what normal business person wouldn't squeeze that orange?

also salesmen get commission!
11:12pm 29/03/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
59 posts
That's not true, you sell the customer what fits their needs.

bulls***.

find me someone who went into business to be nice and kind. they are in it to make money first and foremost.

that mob in the OP made and extra $400ish or whatever for selling to a clueless person - what normal business person wouldn't squeeze that orange?

also salesmen get commission!

decating corpse, while they might go into business to make money, it is also done to fill a need, i've worked alot of sales guys,
hell, in my second job i sold foxtel, not only that, i once sold it to a blind guy (it was for the sat radio, 10 years ago it was the only way he could get the Italian news, i;m not a huge a*******) but it was the basic package, and i could have sold him a few extra add ons, but i didn't because it wasn't worth the ill feelings later

customer service reps (which most "sales" people are called) are taught (for the most part) to value add, but not to sell what they dont need, (reason being is that most people will then return after a few years, upgrade replace, then tell friends)

konstie, if your mother has been told this is what she needs to run xyz, and no other computer will cover her needs, then yeah slime bag, who broke the law (or is a normal d*** with no product knowlage) advise the place what has happened and sometimes the managers do something

was in a good guys before christmas, looking at HD PVR's and over heard a lady asking if she could get 612 (ABC) on a digital radio, that she was looking at getting, when perky pimple dude (staff) simply goes sorry but these don't get AM, then showed her the (far cheaper) mini hi fi

I waited till she had finished and watch the confused look, and told her, he is right that those digitals don't get AM, however 612 is broadcast in digital as well, she went on looking around, alittle later (while looking at something shiney i couldn't afford) the manager came up and said sorry, i asked what for,

in short the staff member got next to bubkiss on the digital and better figures on the mini hi fi, (which i found odd that a manager would tell me this, let alone that there was a better markup on a cheaper product) and that i hadnt gotten the wrong idea about how the store was run

more and more companies are trying to rid themselves of the high yield one off sales, and more the service sales with follow ons,
11:45pm 29/03/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1524 posts
konstie, if your mother has been told this is what she needs to run xyz, and no other computer will cover her needs, then yeah slime bag, who broke the law (or is a normal d*** with no product knowlage) advise the place what has happened and sometimes the managers do something

It's not about being sold a machine she didn't need it was being sold a machine that was under spec'd and over priced.

It's shopping 101 to go in with a budget and a clear list of things you desire from the product, the salesman isn't there to make friends with.
12:23am 30/03/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
60 posts
a well accepted good practice is match product to customer needs,

if people go about thinking that a salemans role is just to get as much money as they can, then that is what is going to happen more and more

it has been shown that larger companies that have incentives and good wages, and not commission (or even commission only) based pay scales have a better customer experience and more repeat sales, (also more likely to get up sells/add ons)
12:29am 30/03/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5732 posts
bulls***.find me someone who went into business to be nice and kind. they are in it to make money first and foremost.that mob in the OP made and extra $400ish or whatever for selling to a clueless person - what normal business person wouldn't squeeze that orange?also salesmen get commission!
Except this very thread is probably losing them business. $400 today means f*** all if you've lost 30+ future customers.
12:33am 30/03/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1287 posts
yep sales person had to clear old stock
12:34am 30/03/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3363 posts
Except this very thread is probably losing them business. $400 today means f*** all if you've lost 30+ future customers.

Exactly, depending on the size of the business, repeat customers are the only way to survive. In this instance though, who here is really going to go through whatever this company name is? Wouldn't you go online, check out your options, check a thread, find out who sells it cheaps (msy/umart/dell/) and then buy it irrespective of the store?

I mean i'll go to umart often because MSY doesn't have the part, but i'd work a little harder if it was more than 4gig of ram or something. 1300 is a lot of money.

PS a i3 would probably have been more than adequate for your dear mother. i5 is way overkill. i3's are damn strong considering.
01:13am 30/03/11 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1729 posts
Sorry gentlemen, to be clear, I work interstate a lot and am interstate now. That's why I told the bloke over the phone specifically what was required.

She is returning it today.

Not everyone is as computer savvy as the AGN / QGL crew, outside of the IT community or PC enthusiasts, how many people do you think have heard of umart? They would go to their Harvey Normans and get ripped off there anyway.

Dell PC had a 3 week lead-time for a product that suited her needs. Then they lost her order :)

edit: turns out the touchpad doesn't work properly on the toshi and we have a good excuse for a refund. win.
09:42am 30/03/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9303 posts
Dell PC had a 3 week lead-time for a product that suited her needs. Then they lost her order :)

the Aussie courier company that handles all of the Dell transit shiz is moving offices which is causing delivery headaches all over the nation.

I'm guessing they run their servers from the office??? Seriously.. WTF?

Sorry gentlemen, to be clear, I work interstate a lot and am interstate now. That's why I told the bloke over the phone specifically what was required.

I would've held out for the Dell.

While I still prefer to build my own PC, farming out family IT issues to Dell and their Aussie partners is bliss.

( You just have to sure to get that extended warranty )

last edited by koopz at 18:56:25 30/Mar/11
06:55pm 30/03/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:55pm 30/03/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.