We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Revive dead HDD
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1183 posts
Hey all, I'm needing to recover data from a HDD with damaged PCB (no power no spinup). It's a Samsung HD321KJ 320Gib rev A Hard Disk and I'm hoping to replace PCB for this drive. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I'm thinking that even replacing the PCB might not be successful? Will pay for 2nd hand drive if model suits.

Cheers.
07:08pm 13/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:08pm 13/02/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9257 posts
paging Dodgym0n...
10:57pm 13/02/11 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
1761 posts
Either the PCB board is fried or the motor is dead.
Check ebay for the exact PCB and try that. Failing that u could try doing a platter transfer but doing that urself I'd say have about 10% chance of sucess, so you better handing it off to a pro like ontrack data recovery. Going to cost around $2000 tho.
12:04am 14/02/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
9949 posts
true story, this exact scenario happened to me about 10 years ago with a 120gb drive, huge in its day
I was pissed, but I remembered that when it was bought, a guy I worked with also bought the exact same model on the same day I got mine

I gave him a call, he confirmed he has it on him and that I should head over to give it a go
I'm driving Boondall -> Milton, I'm on the highway doing a few clicks just at the overpass before the old airport drive turn off, this truck pulls infront of me at the last second- I slam on my brakes, drive gets launched off the front seat into the dash and crash lands in the passenger foot well - s***

I get to old mates place and plug the drive in, worked fine for 30 minutes and died again, but I had enough time to get all the data onto another drive and didn't need the other pcb
12:06am 14/02/11 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
1762 posts
Oh and getting a PCB is has to be exact. Even for that same make and model drives they probably had several revisions of the PCB so you need it to be an exact match. It should have a model or serial stamp and rev on the PCB itself.
12:07am 14/02/11 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
1763 posts
That reminds me once I had just copied C&C 1 onto my 120MB (yes megabyte) HDD as in those days there were no CD burners. Otherise it would habe taken 60 x 1.44MB Floppy's to copy onto ZIP and we woulda had to several trips to do that.

Anyway so I am riding along on my pushie and this magpie swoops me and kocks me off balance so me and my HDD go arse over. The HDD skidded along the b****emen.

Needless to say it had many bad sectors on it after that and the game didn't work either.

last edited by Dodgymon at 00:14:43 14/Feb/11
12:13am 14/02/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
286 posts
Needless to say it had many bad sectors on it after that and the game didn't work either.

I too remember this dark era... where disk checks and formatting took the bulk of your day...

My (I say mine... Dad's) first x86 was a Wyse 286... and during the late 90's I remember hulking the case off to the tip... being made of cast iron the case was a two man lift!
12:25am 14/02/11 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1184 posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone I'm now thinking it's going to be near impossible to get a match. Got some good friends who did not backup data over 4 years and are now facing the loss of thousands of digital photo's and other fond memories.
10:57am 14/02/11 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
522 posts
I dropped a hard drive a while back and now it doesn't work, was a 1TB drive. I tried to connect it to my pc and just heard a beeping sound, like intermittent. PC doesn't pick up the drive either, I'm pretty sure it's rooted.
11:02am 14/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:02am 14/02/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.