Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
World of Warcraft Subscriptions Fall to 5.6 Million
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
276 posts
Which, in case you were wondering, is a nine-year low for the popular MMO. A figure which was released as part of the most recent Activision Blizzard Quarterly Report, represents the subscriber base for World of Warcraft at the end of June 2015. With the last reported figure being at 7.1 million this drop of an additional 1.5 million players continues a downward trend for the MMO.

It wasn't long ago that the subscriber base for WoW was as high as 10 million players. An increase which was seen after the release of the expansion Warlords of Draenor last November. Although 5.6 million players still positions the game as the most popular MMO on the market, its beginning to look like WoW might slowly be losing some of its lasting popularity.

But, things are not as dire as they seem. Blizzard are expected to announce a new expansion for World of Warcraft at Gamescom, which should no doubt help stabilise things and get those numbers trending back upward. Or at least that's the plan.

04:22pm 05/08/15 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:22pm 05/08/15 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
1720 posts
I doubt anyone will be surprised.

When you think back, most of MMO gaming was not quality content. After 10 years, I just got tired of the whole style of hotkey-based MMO's, so it makes sense even more would be getting over it as well.
01:36am 06/08/15 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2755 posts
Milk the cash cow for as long as feasible, they've already got replacement revenue streams and others lined up innit.
01:41am 06/08/15 Permalink
Jeffro
Toowoomba, Queensland
439 posts
The numbers will improve when they release a new expansion. They put so much effort into raids but guilds just smash through them so quick.
07:10am 06/08/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
17794 posts
As it currently stands CS:GO has more active players than WoW. That's how low WoW has sunk.
07:22am 06/08/15 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
941 posts
With no new content and the next expansion probably another 2 quarters away (at least) I'd expect them to drop to sub 4 mil pretty soon TBH.
07:26am 06/08/15 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2727 posts
I only just re-subbed last week.

Edit: I'll probably end up cancelling again and just play until the end of the month as I never really played the latest expansion, one thing that annoys me is Guild drama I logged in last night and about 20 people /gquit over some mount promise and so much drama I'm like WTF I just want to play a game.
07:40am 06/08/15 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
22288 posts
It's all good. Mike Morhaime said on the 6th of June at Gamescon when the next xpac is announced we're all going to be really happy. 18 hours and 14 mins to go.

Aslo if you'd like a good laugh have a listen to Az from HeelvsBabyface. Hilarious.

07:45am 06/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22722 posts
Yeah, they s*** the bed a little with this expansion. The quality of the content was some of their best, but there just wasn't enough of it. As far as content goes its had the least of any expansion and it cost the most. Too much emphasis on the garrison stuff, it wasnt a replacement for actual real content no matter how hard they wanted it to be. I'm sure they know they f***ed up though, they're not idiots. hoping they pull a D3 with the next expansion and fix all the problems and return to awesome form.
09:45am 06/08/15 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9055 posts
It really is like they don't understand their market. Remember 10 years ago when WoW was released? Yeah, a lot of us were in our late teens, early 20s. But guess what - it's 10 years later, and we all have jobs now. Well, most of us. But what we definitely don't have time for is to sit down and play long extended single sessions which is what all the raid content is geared towards.

You know why I stopped playing WoW and started playing games like, say, Mario 3D Land and Yoshi's Wooly World? Because I sit down and play 15 minutes at a time. If I spend 15 minutes playing WoW, I might have enough time to check the auction house. It has nothing to do with WoW not being a good game, it's just a time sink, with insufficient reward for casual players.
09:54am 06/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22723 posts
It really is like they don't understand their market. Remember 10 years ago when WoW was released? Yeah, a lot of us were in our late teens, early 20s. But guess what - it's 10 years later, and we all have jobs now. Well, most of us. But what we definitely don't have time for is to sit down and play long extended single sessions which is what all the raid content is geared towards.

Thing is, lately, WoW has very much been moving towards a more casual model where you can play for 15 minutes and still do one of the wings of a raid or a dungeon or some dailies. It caters for the casual player and the time-poor player far more now than it ever did, and thats often one of the biggest criticisms levelled at it, that it has become too casual.

Personally, I've never really been on the 'too casual and dumbed down' bandwagon, at least I haven't been in the past. Recent changes though have started to make me wonder. In the past even amongst all the content aimed at the more casual or beginner players I was able to find enough complexity to keep me challenged and interested. They've been chipping away at that over the course of this expansion though, the most recent patch took a big chunk of complexity out of Monk tanking when previously I really enjoyed the challenge of monk tanking. Then I read they're not happy with how complex Demonology is for Warlocks and they're going to significantly change that and 'streamline' it in a future patch, and my Demo warlock is the other toon I've really enjoyed playing so that has me uneasy.

The Mythic 5 mans don't offer up any sort of challenge at all, I was hoping for something that would challenge me but instead you can still just facepull huge packs of trash at a time and aoe them down. The Timewalking feature sounded cool on paper, but they erred on the side of easy and casual with the scaling, so it doesn't scale you down anywhere near enough for it to feel challenging or for it to feel like the dungeon originally did. After the initial little nostalgia kick wears off, they're just a huge drag. Tanaan Jungle is pretty cool though, I like what they've done there, I'd love to see some max level endgame zones of that kind be in the next expansion at launch, its far more interesting than just grinding out dailies imo. Blackrock Foundry and Hellfire Citadel are fantastic raids, but with the hard 20 player cap on Mythic and the inability to cross-realm it, they've essentially gated off the best and most challenging form of it from a vast majority of players, so thats just s***.
10:45am 06/08/15 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
22289 posts
Well it looks like the new trailer has been leaked already. I think we all knew it was going to be South Seas.

02:11pm 06/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22724 posts
Looking forward to getting a sweet tan
03:12pm 06/08/15 Permalink
Jeffro
Toowoomba, Queensland
440 posts
Haha. I was actually excited for a new murloc race. Sadface.
06:19pm 06/08/15 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2730 posts
Yeah I picked up that it was fake at the end when it said parody
07:21pm 06/08/15 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
22290 posts
If anyone's up right now and wants to watch the live stream of WoW's next xpac...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WIEl4hRvA

http://www.twitch.tv/blizzard

About 5 minutes to go
01:57am 07/08/15 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
18735 posts
08:44am 07/08/15 Permalink
Everlong
114 posts
A lot of people, such as myself, have unsubbed and moved to the token system, would that effect their figures?
09:38am 07/08/15 Permalink
Jeffro
Toowoomba, Queensland
441 posts
Pretty cool. Love the part where Khadgar flies into the King and says "The Burning Legion has returned".
09:45am 07/08/15 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
220 posts
A lot of people, such as myself, have unsubbed and moved to the token system, would that effect their figures?

How much game time is required to get a token?
10:01am 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22726 posts
Amazing! Actually the exact expansion I was hoping for, so glad its not some s*** South Seas thing. Have been saying they need to bring it back to traditional Warcraft, well it doesn't get much more Warcraft than opening the Tomb of Sargeras. Thats some Warcraft 2 s*** right there. Apocalyptic Burning legion invasions, Demon hunters, Illidan, Titans, the Emerald Nightmare, this is the s*** I've been waiting for. Then throw in some Blue Dragonflight storylines, some War of the Ancients era Neltharion (pre Deathwing) stuff, the badass Viking dudes and Valkyr from Wrath, and Azshara for good measure.

Pandas were a fun distraction, and Draenor was essentially just filler that served to get Gul'dan back into play, but THIS stuff is where Warcraft shines.

How much game time is required to get a token?

You buy tokens ingame for gold off the AH, the price fluctuates depending on supply and demand but on average its about 30k for a token that gives you 30 days of game time.

I don't think it would really affect the figures though, because someone still has to buy the tokens for real money and put them up for sale. So even though the people spending gold on tokens aren't paying a sub, theres still someone furthur down the line who's still paying for their sub.
10:42am 07/08/15 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
221 posts
I'm just wondering it's possible to play WoW without having to pay anything apart from setup fee (if that still exists). Could you get a trail, farm 30k gold and then continue doing so indefinitely?
11:29am 07/08/15 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3790 posts
So Blizzard only make around $56 million a month from subscriptions now? How do they even manage to stay afloat?
12:04pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22727 posts
Nah, you couldn't do it on a trial, theres a limit to how far you can level on a trial and a limit on how much gold you can have (a very low limit).

You don't have to have an active sub to buy tokens though, if you have an existing account with characters and gold on it, even if its not active you can buy a token from the character screen and it takes the gold equally from all your toons.
12:13pm 07/08/15 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
222 posts
Hey Khel can I get 30k gold please? I want to wow it up again after my vanilla days.
12:52pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16168 posts
How long does it take to farm 30k gold on dailies or whatever at cap these days?
01:23pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2660 posts
pretty easily doable within the 30 day time frame, still takes some effort but if you have a few alts it's a breeze
01:38pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22728 posts
Yeah, you can get a few thousand a week from garrison stuff, and probably a few thousand more from killing Kazzak and selling the crafted mats he drops. If you have like 3 level 100 alts you'd make 30k without breaking a sweat, otherwise if you got just your one toon you'd have to put a bit of extra effort in.

And even if I sent you gold greazy you'd have to pay for a subscription to log in and get it, cos you can't buy tokens with gold thats in the mail :p
01:57pm 07/08/15 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
224 posts
F***** dog. Tempted to buy a subscription to checkout the garrison feature. is it just cookie cutter gimmickie junk or can you have lots of fun with it?
02:06pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2661 posts
Its s***, and probably will go down as one of the more "great sounding on paper but s*** in reality" ideas they've ever had.
02:28pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22729 posts
Its cool, especially with the added shipyard now. It becomes a chore and a grind after you're doing it for months on end because once you've maxed it out it doesn't really change much after that point, but its fun until you get to that point. Its woven through the 90 - 100 levelling experience really well too, you kind of build up your base as you push furthur into Draenor and recruit new followers and get schematics for new buildings as you go through the zones.

The main problem with it is they put too much reliance on it filling a gap in endgame content, and it really doesn't. Its great while levelling up and while you're still unlocking s*** and its all new and your character is getting tonnes of benefit out of it, but that tapers off after the first couple of months and then it just becomes a chore. It should never have been pushed as something to occupy people at max level, it really shines at its best as levelling content/part of the story.
02:34pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2662 posts
That's a much better explanation of it. I'm just jaded from going through it all on 4 different toons I guess.
02:36pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22730 posts
Hehe, yeah, that'd be f*****g awful. I went through it on my monk and on my warlock, I was gonna play my mage but the thought of even going through it all again put me off. It also f*****g sucks how little of it is account-wide. Like when I levelled up my Warlock and had to get ALL the followers again and rebuy all the schematics and level everything back up, it was a crock of s***.

But yeah, definitely didn't turn out as good as it sounded on paper. And as a replacement for player housing it was pretty pathetic, theres pretty much no customisability to it, every horde garrison essentially looks the same as every other horde garrison.
02:39pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
17795 posts
People keep saying stuff about WoW's 'end game' content.

WoW doesn't have an end game. It never will. It was never designed that way, a story has a beginning, a middle and an end. WoW has no end. There is literally nothing a player can accomplish that will be the final moment of WoW.
03:08pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22731 posts
Thats just the nomenclature used to commonly refer to max level content, it doesn't literally mean its the end of the game. Just like when you're feeding in Dota it doesn't mean you're going and serving the other team dinner.
04:23pm 07/08/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
17799 posts
Yeah I may have been a little overzealous with my rage of the use of the words.

Still I think it's a fundamental reason why people are leaving WoW, the fundamental mechanics/premise of the game has been done. It really is just more of the same. Sure they tweak classes here and there, but the guts of the game, Grind in Zones and move on with the side-show of impactless PvP is the same, and always will be.

I'd really like to see Blizzard actually choose to end WoW, and go out with a bang.

Open the entire world to PvP and allow players of each side to really battle it out, take control of zones. Winner takes all. After it's done, that's it. Hoard or The alliance is the winner.

Then several years later release a new Warcraft game based on the Aftermath of that.
07:23pm 07/08/15 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:23pm 07/08/15 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.