Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Now Available on Steam
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
13458 posts
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Monolith's action RPG based in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings universe, has now become available around the world for PC players utilising Steam's digital store.

"Fight through Mordor and uncover the truth of the spirit that compels you, discover the origins of the Rings of Power, build your legend and ultimately confront the evil of Sauron in this new chronicle of Middle-earth."

Those who are jumping on the PC version will find the game weighs in at roughly 38GB, so be prepared for a long download. Also note that enthusiasts wanting the best graphical performance will be required to run at the very least a system holding 6GB of VRAM for ultra textures (@1080p). You can find out more about the system requirements over here.

For the uninitiated, check out the latest trailer below giving a great overview of what to expect from the depths of Mordor. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be out on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 come October 8th.

02:10pm 30/09/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:10pm 30/09/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22078 posts
This is actually getting some really good reviews, I was expecting it to be pretty average
02:39pm 30/09/14 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
401 posts
Damn 33.9 GB
07:15pm 30/09/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22079 posts
For people interested in grabbing it on console (or XBox at least, I haven't checked PS4 but I assume it'd be the same), it doesn't release till the 8th of October in our region, but if you switch your region to the US you can not only get it cheaper, but you can get it right now.
11:30am 01/10/14 Permalink
Vash
4083 posts
Played this all night. It's fantastic.
12:17pm 01/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15521 posts
WTF NO WiiU? Hahhahahahah I kid, might pick this up if it gets consistently good reviews.

Anyone know if it plays well on PC with controller via that steam remote s***? A good lounging game might be nice.
12:25pm 01/10/14 Permalink
Vash
4084 posts
It would be fine with a controller, it's got full integration. Mostly melee combat. Plays abit like batman arkham series
01:44pm 01/10/14 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
1278 posts
picked it up for $29 which was sweet. can't get onto it tonight but hopefully blast a bit tomorrow!
02:28pm 01/10/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2687 posts
This is actually getting some really good reviews, I was expecting it to be pretty average

Games that get good reviews 'after' release in 2014 are typically good.
02:43pm 01/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15525 posts
picked it up for $29 which was sweet. can't get onto it tonight but hopefully blast a bit tomorrow!

Link to cheapy?
02:54pm 01/10/14 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
1279 posts

Link to cheapy?

I can't attest for them as I haven't bought from them before but they frequent on ozbargain.com.au and seems like the place peeps from whirlpool are getting it from. Not sure on their stock as I didn't get it straight away but might be overnight. I can't really play next day or two so long as i get it by the weekend, should be all good and at $29, I couldn't care less either.

http://cdkeyshere.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-cd-key.html#.VCuSjPmSxBk

If you want, I'll update you when I receive the key. They've got a facebook, twitter and respond to the comments in the ozbargain too so figured i'd give em a go. Apparently the normal edition ran out and getting more keys in the next 24 hours. Premium version is apparent instant.
03:40pm 01/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15527 posts
Got it from CJs just now for 35AU (think the 27 on that link is USD?). They had regular keys available straight away for 35.

Had to do a dodgy Russian VPN unlock, but I can confirm that their VPN unlock instructions were nice and clear, worked fine for me and cost nothing, installing! :)

e: why cant I have teh NBNs at home :(

http://i.imgur.com/DeTPMBd.png
04:24pm 01/10/14 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
18348 posts
heh, they removed the australia tax on steam.
07:45pm 01/10/14 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4441 posts
yeah I was surprised to see that steam price isn't ridiculously high its actually a 'fair' price, will be getting it at some point in the next few months watch a TB video on the game today, the game play looks really good
07:56pm 01/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22080 posts
The whole nemesis thing is pretty sweet, one of the orcs killed me and got a promotion and became a captain. When I respawned I chased him to his stronghold and since I had previously used intel I got from interogating another orc to find out he was vulnerable to ranged attacks, I snuck inside his stronghold and took him down with an arrow through the eye.

Then a bit later I'm just fighting dudes and the same guy turns back up and he now has a steel plate bolted over the eye I shot him through and is all "Your arrow left a mark, but f*** you, you didn't kill me, I'm back". So I shot an arrow through his other eye.
11:52pm 01/10/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2695 posts
A friend got the HD Textures and at 1080 he was up in the 3.6GB VRAM mark. It looked like vomit too.
09:03am 02/10/14 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
13477 posts
The nemesis system is extremely awesome, and I'm the game is the same as well. Hopefully with its success it will be exactly like Batman in that we'll get reiterated mechanics but new areas to explore. Mordor is massive, and they could do so much in the Lord of the Rings universe. Can not wait.
09:22am 02/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22082 posts
When its raining, it looks amazing. I mean, graphically, all the effects on everything making it look wet are all sexy and nice, but the atmosphere is just awesome, stealthing around f*****g s*** up in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, roiling stormclouds over head, everything dark and gloomy. It nails the fantasy its going for.
11:03am 02/10/14 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1667 posts
Best captain kill for me was when I was sneaking in to a place to kill another captain.

Saw this orc coming my way so shoot him in the head with an arrow and then got the "captain down" cut scene slow motion thing.

Turns out he was someone who had killed me a few times already and was level 10 or something.
11:28am 02/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22085 posts
The slow motion little 'clash' scenes when you come against a captain are pretty cool too. A few times I've been in big fights with heaps of orcs and just go to counter a guy and end up face to face with him in one of those scenes with him smack talking me. Gives it a real feeling of "Oh yeah, s*** just got real"
11:40am 02/10/14 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
382 posts
I didn't really know about this game until last week, but from everything you guys have been saying plus the reviews it seems really awesome. Will definitely pick this up at some point.
03:18pm 02/10/14 Permalink
Vash
4085 posts
My only complaint is.. the game is abit too easy. But, still enjoyable. I find myself being reckless in strongholds because i'm confident i'll survive anything.
03:29pm 02/10/14 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1668 posts
Vash let yourself die a few times to the same enemy. Things will get harder.
03:34pm 02/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15539 posts
Have only played through 2 bosses but this is honestly a really fun game. No ragrats.

Plays really well with a controller on PC too.
11:19pm 02/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15540 posts
AGN review coming?

My fave Steam review:
If Batman - Arkham City, Assassins Creed 2 and The Witcher 2 had a hot, crazy night together, ME-SoM would be their spawn
09:36am 03/10/14 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
13492 posts
Not sure about a review just yet, but I definitely agree with that Steam one. Personal review is this game is by far the best action RPG I've played for awhile. It nails the Mordor fantasy setting, it nails the combat in being easy to understand but difficult to master and it absolutely nails the Nemesis system which just feeds in so much new content each time I play.

I'm a massive Batman fan, and love love love the Arkham games, but Middle-earth is definitely a contender on that ladder of awesome games. Get it and play it and love it.
09:59am 03/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22090 posts
I love how the different bosses have fears you can exploit too, I've had a few cool unplanned things happen cos of that. Last night I had stealth assassinated some dudes, and another patrolling orc found the corpses, and totally freaked out and just turn around and blindly ran terrified into the middle of a campfire and set himself on fire. Then he ran around screaming and burning and ran near a boss who was terrified of fire so the boss freaked the f*** out and did a runner, right into some wild caragors, which tore him a new a****** and I got a free boss kill and a rune out of it.
10:37am 03/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15541 posts
Hah that's awesome.

Kinda cool that's its a bit of a left-field winner too. Nobody expected it to be amazing, really, especially given the setting's history of very average offerings.
10:43am 03/10/14 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1669 posts
totally freaked out and just turn around and blindly ran terrified into the middle of a campfire and set himself on fire.

Had a guy do that for no reason at all. No caragors, no dead bodies. Just straight up ran through a fire and set himself a lit. Another Orc just stayed sitting near the fire watching.
10:47am 03/10/14 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
13495 posts

Had a guy do that for no reason at all. No caragors, no dead bodies. Just straight up ran through a fire and set himself a lit. Another Orc just stayed sitting near the fire watching.

They nailed the Orc feeling from the books. They just don't care about their own kind at times, even had some laugh at bodies they've found.

Hah that's awesome.

Kinda cool that's its a bit of a left-field winner too. Nobody expected it to be amazing, really, especially given the setting's history of very average offerings.

Clearly you never played any of the PS2 games, they were awesome especially Return.
11:25am 03/10/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15542 posts
Clearly you never played any of the PS2 games, they were awesome especially Return.

No doubt there are exceptions, but by and large its been a f***en lot of filler leveraging the IP.
11:47am 03/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22091 posts
I don't remember any awesome Lord of the Rings games tbh. Some were above average, and at times pretty good considering the history of licensed movie tie-ins being generally awful, but I wouldn't go anywhere near awesome. This one is easily the best thing they've done with the IP
12:04pm 03/10/14 Permalink
Vash
4086 posts
Agreed. Best LOTR game to date.
I found a way to make it more challenging, i just go straight for the warlords without taking out the bodyguards. 5-6 captain fight with the stronghold alarm going, fun times.
12:12pm 03/10/14 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
1281 posts
I don't remember any awesome Lord of the Rings games tbh. Some were above average, and at times pretty good considering the history of licensed movie tie-ins being generally awful, but I wouldn't go anywhere near awesome. This one is easily the best thing they've done with the IP

Two Towers and Return of the King games are AMAZING co-op games. Played the hell out of them ... but yeah, outside of that and LOTR:O, there haven't been many good games.

Only played an hour last night but that entire hour my internal dialog was nothing but "F*** YEAH!" haha. Can't wait to play the hell out of it this weekend.
12:17pm 03/10/14 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
13508 posts
I am addicted to this game, and haven't been so compelled to wander since the early days of Skyrim. Just happening upon a random Captain, scouting ahead and finding a worm to squeeze is far too satisfying. Not to mention the combat, which just has me fist pumping the air every time I do a lethal takedown. The visual are also extremely nice, best Mordor I've seen so far.
12:00pm 07/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22096 posts
I love the Brutalize stealth takendowns, I've got the rune in my dagger that makes them more terrifying too so I love just diving off a ledge into a big group of guys and ripping the f*** out of one of them with a Brutalize takedown, then the others crap themselves and all run away screaming. Great way to single out an intel guy if hes in a big group, cos then you just shoot at arrow at the intel guy's foot as hes running away and pin him to the ground, then stroll over and wraithf*** the information out of his head. And I've got the ability that makes people's heads pop after you finish draining them, so thats usually enough to terrify any orcs left over who weren't terrified by the initial assault.
12:12pm 07/10/14 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2412 posts
Wow tempted to get this game based on the exciting this forum has for the game
12:25pm 07/10/14 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1671 posts
Meddek - buy it.
06:44pm 07/10/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
22170 posts
Haha, I haven't had an orc with this name, its great when he comes out as Warchief and everyone is chanting it

11:32pm 24/10/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:32pm 24/10/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.