We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
New to Android. Laugh at my ridiculous phone and give advice ;)
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15388 posts
So after a couple years of quite happily running a lumia 920 I've jumped ship this morning to Samsung.

The laugh at my ridiculous phone bit is that I've decided it's a good idea to use their new 7" tablet as a phone. It's humongous and silly and I bloody love it. Plus I get access to all of the apparently awesome apps right?

I was quite surprised at the OS and vendor bloat; I have less than half of the shipped 8Gb memory. I had been led to believe that this was a lean ecosystem but I'm cool with buying a memory card, and at least I CAN. Integration with MS Exchange was pleasantly painless.

I'm not interested in rooting the unit so only s*** that works off the Play Store or a manual install from a trustworthy source will work, but I'd love to hear from you guys about awesome apps and s*** :)
05:38pm 02/08/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:38pm 02/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8755 posts
You can install apps from your pc, in a web browser on google play store, so long as you're logged into the same google account as your phone is registered on.

Get aldiko book reader, best reader ever, especially in black & white mode, and imports epubs etc.

Get a good note taking app, Natural Notes+ was cheap and loads fast and has txt exports for the whole thing, which seems to be rare (there's a nearly fully featured free version which I used first after getting sick of everything else).

Put calculator and clock (for alarms) on your home screen, along with camera/task manager/play store etc.

Dunno about newer Android OS versions and Chrome, but with the old default browser at least, you could pin browser bookmarks to the home screen as icons.

Smart Tools is okay when you want a bright light and a few other things, I got it for like 10c during a sale.

Google Skymap is a pretty rad novelty.
05:59pm 02/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1027 posts
1) Get dressed up in business attire in the morning as per normal.

2) Whilst driving to work play NIN closer and suddenly veer off track in a rebellious manner and head to the CBD - whack a pair of Matrix shades on and park up.

3) Walk around all day pretending to be happy, smiling and gesturing to people in a good-willed and sincere fashion.

4) Have your near field communication enabled phone and tricked up thiev0ring app active whilst performing step 3's waving motions.

5) Profit.

;)
06:24pm 02/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8756 posts
On long trips, put the phone into flight mode to save huge amounts of battery (trying to connect and staying connected to towers is a huge battery drain).
06:39pm 02/08/14 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
6549 posts
Samsung is pretty bad with vendor bloat, yeah. The other mobs aren't quite as bad.
Coming from Lumia, welcome to Appsville! population 1million+

I'd love to hear from you guys about awesome apps and s***

Get Chrome, the inbuilt android browser is teh suck.
AntTek Explorer or FX are pretty good file browsers.
10:51pm 02/08/14 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
130 posts
Hill Climb Racing is my favourite mobile game.
11:05pm 02/08/14 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
21772 posts
you left the 920?! mine is kicking ass, did you have the 8.1 developer preview running?
01:23am 03/08/14 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2276 posts
Nice I have a few mates with big hands that use the mini tablets as mobile phones it doesn't look so silly because they are big manly blokes.

As for apps Swiftkey for typing is awesome
Setting up Dropbox on a samsung device gets you bonus space
07:32am 03/08/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16106 posts

Hill Climb Racing is my favourite mobile game.

Yeah it is a pretty good game. About the only mobile game I've had on my phone for <1 year and I still play from time to time.
08:30am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15389 posts
you left the 920?! mine is kicking ass, did you have the 8.1 developer preview running?

I wanted a bigger phone and mucked about with a 7 inch phone tablet thing for a client recently and decided to give it a go. No hate on my 920 I just wanted a new (absurd) form factor and believe it or not the Lumias just weren't big enough.

Good suggestions team keep them coming!
09:16am 03/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2321 posts
Can you give the actual model name? Are you using a Galaxy Tab or a Galaxy Note?
09:24am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15390 posts
Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, SM-T231

Not a flagship phone/device ($330 from mobicity) but I'm not convinced about the long term appeal of this crazy tablet phone idea so I went conservative. Liking it so far though I notice that scrolling and screen transitions stutter very occassionally if the system is a little busy, not enough to fret about.
09:48am 03/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2323 posts
http://i.imgur.com/V78Qtkc.jpg

The ginger and everything.
10:02am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15391 posts
Not quite that bad; old mate has a 10" there or girl hands.

http://i.imgur.com/nZ8vEPH.jpg

Still unreasonably huge for a phone. Love it.
10:31am 03/08/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5180 posts
is that 4G?

i guess you could use a BlueTooth earpiece to look less wanky

http://www.day10.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bigphone.jpg

10:34am 03/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8757 posts
I still forget that not all phones come with Swype installed like mine. It may not be as great on a tablet, but imo Swype is the only decent keyboard I've used.
10:36am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15392 posts
I have a set or earphones with mic that work with it so if I need to take a call in public I can use them. I reckon its a 50:50 as to whether an earpiece is a wankier option than just sticking the thing up to my ear ahahaha. The phone actually has a speaker at the top and a mic at the bottom, its literally designed to make calls with it against your head o.O

Is 3G max. I ummed and ahhed about that a bit, I think you can get more expensive 4G versions?

Where I live LTE coverage isn't especially reliable anyway so I'm OK with 3G speeds. 3G is still faster than my home internet @!*&$
I still forget that not all phones come with Swype installed like mine. It may not be as great on a tablet, but imo Swype is the only decent keyboard I've used.

Yeh no Swype, the larger screen makes the default keyboard OK to work with, esp with the Samsung predictive text s***.

Does the 30 minute trial refund thing I heard about on Google Play actually work?
10:38am 03/08/14 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
131 posts
I won a Galaxy Note 10.1 in a comp last week and I loathe it. I want to sell it and replace it with the Nexus 10. I wish I'd kept the thing in its box so I could sell it for nearer retail basically just straight replace the thing. I have a Nexus 5 on my phone after being a galaxy s series person for ages, and I just can't handle the samsung bloat bulls*** any more.
10:46am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15393 posts
Aside from the fact that it eats some memory, what does the bloatiness do to the phone?
10:47am 03/08/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5181 posts
was that $330 unlocked? sounds like a good deal if it was.

trying to convince my boss to get me something bigger than an iPhone 5. we have lots of product datasheets and videos that i'd like to show clients and a Tab/phone would be handy for this.
10:48am 03/08/14 Permalink
Zy
Gold Coast, Queensland
2365 posts
Personally I use my "phone" more for media and net than calls (I rarely have to talk to people, it's pretty great), and the Note 3 isn't big enough for me to type perfectly on it. 7" phone would be ideal.

I support this choice. Pity the specs aren't higher though... I'll deal with the smaller screen for the epic specs of the Note 3.
10:50am 03/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8759 posts
^ Yeah, my thoughts too, the only reason that I'd want a phone-sized handheld computer is so it fits in my pocket, I don't actually use it for calls. Mostly reading and mobile net browsing. That being said, the galaxy s1 is a pretty handy size for reading.
10:54am 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15394 posts
was that $330 unlocked? sounds like a good deal if it was.

Yeh, unlocked.
Personally I use my "phone" more for media and net than calls (I rarely have to talk to people, it's pretty great), and the Note 3 isn't big enough for me to type perfectly on it. 7" phone would be ideal.

I support this choice. Pity the specs aren't higher though... I'll deal with the smaller screen for the epic specs of the Note 3.

Yep that was my thinking basically. I spent more time on my 'phone' reading emails or on reddit or QGL or whatever so a 7" device seemed like a logical plan.

I wasn't sure about it (and with our OS trip later this year things are a bit tight) so I went with a midrange spec version. Samsung and a few other vendors seem to think that this is a thing so there's a bunch of devices in the form factor with various specs and prices, there are versions like the PRO etc with moar grunt.
^ Yeah, my thoughts too, the only reason that I'd want a phone-sized handheld computer is so it fits in my pocket, I don't actually use it for calls. Mostly reading and mobile net browsing. That being said, the galaxy s1 is a pretty handy size for reading.

This one BARELY fits in my pocket without sticking out, I can still sit down etc but its a near thing. Driving with it in pants pocket is not a thing.

If you're a skinny jeans hipster this won't work at all.

Re. speed, I think this will do, won't miss 4G too badly I reckon:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/914238684.png
10:55am 03/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2324 posts
Bloat does 3 things:

1: Checks out all your filez and messages, and giving you no positives in return.
2: Fills your memory and hogs small amounts of process time.
3: Uses more battery over a period of days (if you're lucky enough to have it last that long)

Clear recommendation for anyone with bloaty software is to root it (sometimes rooting isn't needed) and installing CM11 (CyanogenMod) using a bootloader such as CWM (Clockwork Mod). My Note 2 went from a typical 1.5-2 days to upwards of 4-5ish days if I don't use it much.
11:59am 03/08/14 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
132 posts
Aside from the fact that it eats some memory, what does the bloatiness do to the phone?

Slows the phone down, replaces good apps with samsung alternatives, general bulls***. I never noticed it until I switched to the bloatless alternative, but now I can't bear it. F*****g flipboard and samsung voice search where the hell is my app switcher dammit!
11:59am 03/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8760 posts
This one BARELY fits in my pocket without sticking out, I can still sit down etc but its a near thing. Driving with it in pants pocket is not a thing.

If you're a skinny jeans hipster this won't work at all.

Actually now that I think about it, I think my sister had a galaxy note 3 or something, which I tried to fit in my pocket, and it was fine. Maybe I should just get one of those to replace my constantly freezing and turning off galaxy s1.

edit: Oh wait, the note 3 != tab 4.
01:20pm 03/08/14 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6717 posts
01:32pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Zy
Gold Coast, Queensland
2366 posts
I think my sister had a galaxy note 3

Note 3 fits fine in my pocket too. 5.7" screen, great size.

I had the Galaxy S1 and S2 before this. I was really hesitant about the size, but now that I've used it, I'm never going back to small screens. And the Note 3 is just awesome, runs everything brilliantly.

My only complaint is how the camera focuses ... because it auto focuses every time you take a picture.
Why not let me focus it and take the picture of whatever I had in focus!? Jerks.
01:32pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15395 posts
I'm never so much as price checking inside a Harvey Norman store again, motherf***** constantly would not stop trying to sell me a Norton suite for the tablet?! wtf, I just wanted to know how much their sd cards were!

OK so rooting. I hadn't planned to do it, but if I can squeeze a little more performance / memory out of the device I'm interested (just found out that you can't install lots of apps to the sdcard, a bit wtf).

So ... ELI5 instructions / dangers? Trustworthy sources? Abort plan?
01:33pm 03/08/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5182 posts
Rooting voids warranty is most obvious reason not to, immediately.

Let warranty period expire first then root.
02:40pm 03/08/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
5113 posts
i thought you could still root and have the warranty honoured, I'm sure that was an ACCC ruling a few years back

(the difference being if they can prove that the rooting damaged the hardware, then you wouldn't be covered, otherwise all faults in manufacturing are covered)
03:02pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1033 posts
Htc One M8 - it's THE smartphone, just ask the internet! Just sayin' yo. :)
04:22pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4231 posts
Return that junk and get a Nexus 7.
04:23pm 03/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2325 posts
So ... ELI5 instructions / dangers? Trustworthy sources? Abort plan?

If you've never done this s*** before - Imagine it like changing Windows to Linux. It pretty much can't toast your hardware. It mightn't work (well, or at all) but it won't toast anything.

Your phone has a bootloader, which is like a computers BIOS. So no matter how bad you f*** your CM/Android/Whatever install, you can always get back to the recovery console/loader and install something else off the SD Card from within the console. (Having another device that works and will get your SD Card to show up on the computer is really helpful in these events, like an old phone, card reader w/e) - I've twice 'bricked' phones installing the wrong s*** and both times I was able to recover easily. That was also back in the days where this stuff wasn't as easy as now. (Getting S-OFF in a 1.5+hboot HTC phone before HTC released their dev tools)

I just did a super fast Google and I couldn't see anything about CM running on a Note 4 Tab. As you'd already know, the best method you'll find is one that you can read and understand the whole thing 'before' beginning the process. If you think you're on a winner, PM it to me and I can double check if you like. Done tons of Sammy phone roots for others.

Typically, most devs post their firmware on http://www.xda-developers.com/ - Your device will have a section of its own in the forums. Cyanogen has its own site now, but they typically post on xda as well, per device.

Abort plan is to have the stock rom handy. It's fully compatible with the 'radio' (that's that they refer to it as, for us it's the 3g/4g transceiver) and supports any extra buttons (android typically supports 3) and other handy UI functions. If you can't find a stock ROM, you shouldn't proceed. Some devices won't allow you to install a stock ROM after changing the bootloader, in those cases people have 'stock' remakes of their own which often don't contain any bloat on purpose, but retain all functionality and stability.

Kinda thing..
04:42pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1034 posts
Ph33x you spiteful little guru, you! I knew something was feeding your cluckiness, now I know. Hoorah! :)
04:48pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15396 posts
Return that junk and get a Nexus 7.

What an awesone contribution, well done!

Thanks for the infos ph33x.
04:58pm 03/08/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
5118 posts
should have waited till sept, oct

new blackberry yo, passport, it has my interest (so much so that I was looking at going back to blackberry anyway, but this is shaping up to be a great phone, I'm just over the whole touch screen s***, and autocorrect and/or swype are NOT a fast effective way to type)
05:10pm 03/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2326 posts
Np. I didn't mention the arse clenching bit, which is installing the new bootloader. Again, all that info usually comes in the same xda threads that contain the ROM. From go to whoa.
05:12pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
38218 posts
NEW BLACKBERRY YOU SAY?
05:20pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15397 posts
should have waited till sept, oct

Well was a birthday present, so nah. We don't celebrate hog day in Sept / Oct.
new blackberry yo, passport, it has my interest

Pass, I'm trying out Android atm.
05:40pm 03/08/14 Permalink
ytime
Other International
156 posts
If you hate any and all forms of bloat try the slimROM. I had it working on my nexus 1 and it was really amazing. Absolutely nothing installed, you have to flash the google app pack yourself.

I have a nexus 4 and even that comes with bloat from google. There are certain apps that I will never use and I think I should be given the choice of installing them. Also f*** the google toolbar up top, peace of s***. F*** g+ even though photos is connected to it (automatic backup).
05:52pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4232 posts
What an awesone contribution, well done!
I'm completely serious.

The only reason you are even thinking about flashing ROMs is because your device is broken. You think you can fix it by flashing, but in reality you are just trading Samsung's s***** software for a variety of different problems instead. You will embark on a pointless journey that will waste hours of your time, constantly reflashing your phone with firmware that never quite works right, always hunting for that perfect ROM that supports all your hardware and doesn't have some weird problem.

Or you could return it and buy a Nexus 7.
06:10pm 03/08/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
5119 posts

Pass, I'm trying out Android atm.

i really do like android, well, the version that sony uses (I really dont like the look/feel of the samsung's) but i really have missed the physical keyboard

also, happy birthday for whenever it was
06:27pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15398 posts
Its not broken, it works fine. I said in the OP that I wasn't interested in rooting the device.

The only actual reason I'm considering rooting it is that I'd like to snatch back a couple gig system memory ... because. I don't need it atm but I would like to have it. I don't know anything about rooting the device and it looks like its a pain in the arse (especially for this particular phone) so I'm out. Believe it or not, I still like the phone. Its not broken.

At $330 delivered to my door it is excellent value while I trial the form factor for a while. Can you link me to an AU supplier of a Nexus 7 with SIM for anything near that price? Because its looks like they are about $480 at mobicity, AKA a f*****g lot of extra money. If I wanted to spend ~$500 on a handset why would I have bought this one? There's lots of options out there for 5 hunge, comparing apples to oranges much? Yeh its a better phone ... and it costs nearly 50% more!

Thanks for s***ting on my 'recommend me some apps' thread with your 'you bought the wrong phone lol just send it back' crap. Please just hush Nathan, other people are being actually helpful while you're just adding noise.
06:33pm 03/08/14 Permalink
ytime
Other International
157 posts
So... ahhh. old people being a******* to each other ITT
06:44pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
38221 posts
GETTIN GRUMPY UP IN HERE
06:45pm 03/08/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
5120 posts
well, in the helpful corner, I might add this

I have used this little ap called "quick PDF scanner" for a quick way to email some doc's a little while ago, and I've since found it useful for other things, the image it captures is great (about 90% of the time, but it doesn't take much to re-image) and was suitable for legal doc's if it helps

the only other non social media ap I use would be SMS scheduler, and that was dude to working really early mornings' (and now late afternoons etc) and it is great for sending SMS's at a more suitable time, it is also good for sending yourself a reminder
06:54pm 03/08/14 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4233 posts
Ontopic: BaconReader (for reddit), "Hacker News 2", Podcast ADdict, and "Weather Australia" by Funtopia.TV are basically the only apps I use.

"SMS (Text) Pager" for responding to SMS alerts from down systems.
04:21am 04/08/14 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2650 posts
If your not rooting then mybackup pro, ES File Explorer cloud browser if u use ftp's a lot like I do, Pocketweather, MX player for divx movies, ring droid for ringtones. Open TTD because transport tycoon was the best game ever created.
Noom if u want to lose some kg's
05:04am 04/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1035 posts

Nats is the backbone of technology!

I'd take his advice as you would Roger Federer telling you how to hit a backhand. Just sayin yo. :)
08:48am 04/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15399 posts
Ontopic: BaconReader (for reddit), "Hacker News 2", Podcast ADdict, and "Weather Australia" by Funtopia.TV are basically the only apps I use.

"SMS (Text) Pager" for responding to SMS alerts from down systems.

Thanks dude! Tried reddit is fun whic was rated highly, but it seemed to suck compared with BaconReader.
If your not rooting then mybackup pro, ES File Explorer cloud browser if u use ftp's a lot like I do, Pocketweather, MX player for divx movies, ring droid for ringtones. Open TTD because transport tycoon was the best game ever created.
Noom if u want to lose some kg's

What does mybackup pro do? I have photos going somewhere off to the cloud in google land, exchange has my mail and contacts, do I need a dedicated backup really? Haven't bothered to with other phones, just treat them as disposable data.
09:37am 04/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2330 posts
What does mybackup pro do? I have photos going somewhere off to the cloud in google land, exchange has my mail and contacts, do I need a dedicated backup really? Haven't bothered to with other phones, just treat them as disposable data.

That's how I roll as well. Everything on the phone that's important is drag dropped to my computer. Otherwise it's contacts, which are all stored at Google.

+1 ES File Explorer, get your filez off a LAN, samba etc.
+1 MX Player, works with almost everything.
10:40am 04/08/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16111 posts
Every Android based device I get, ie Sammy Phones, gets an automatic wipe and reloaded with the latest CyanogenMod, or something similar if it takes my fancy at the time.

All that useless carrier bloat is removed, in favour of slightly more useful useless bloat (or no bloat if I go bare bones).

Another +1 for
ES File Exploer
MX Video Player

MX video player is like the VLC of mobile devices. Oddly VLC on android is a bit sucky.
02:39pm 04/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15400 posts
No carrier bloat as I bought it unlocked retail, Samsung left their fingerprints all over it. I'm ok to deal with that, there's a bunch of things on this unit that are unusual so the roots are flaky.

Probably never going to buy a phone on a plan again. I did the math and f*** me! :(
02:59pm 04/08/14 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2651 posts
mybackup pro is as close to a full backup as u can get without rooting (titanium backup if you root). It's free and u can just do a full backup to your pc or cloud. I really only use this app when I am going from 1 phone to another and I don't want to have to reinstall all the apps, contacts, music, photos and app data.

If you are cool to do that yourself via other means then maybe skip it but after a few months once you get the phone to where you want it, it wouldn't hurt to do a backup.

last edited by Dodgymon at 16:28:23 04/Aug/14
04:26pm 04/08/14 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1740 posts
I use a hell of a lot:

CloudMagic for MS Exchange emails
Touchdown for MS Exchange Calendar
Tripit for my Itineraries as I travel heaps.
Skyscanner for airline tickets (same reason as above)
Chrome
04:33pm 04/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15402 posts
The apps you use for exchange; do they have features that the normal mail client doesn't have or did your phone not support exchange natively?
04:45pm 04/08/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
38227 posts
#windowsphonesmugness
05:24pm 04/08/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5184 posts
The apps you use for exchange; do they have features that the normal mail client doesn't have or did your phone not support exchange natively?

i don't get all these Exchange apps with their great claims on productivity, and streamlining your email and buying you dinner before orally stimulating you.

what is there to "streamline"?

Here's my email streamlining/productivity system;
Receive email
Read
Respond if required

s*** i don't even have sound notifications turned on for email. I just check it every hour or so. if you want me quicker than that, use the least utilised function of a smart phone. the actual f*****g phone bit and call me.
06:40pm 04/08/14 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8379 posts
Having only used a nexus 4 and 7 I was surprised when my wife's LG G3 arrived this morning and didn't have vanilla android on it. I mean i knew it didnt but was suprised by the differences. Its just f*****g stupid things. Wtf would you change the android settings app/process? It makes no sense

Anyway, put Aviate on it and she seems to be running fine now.
07:04pm 04/08/14 Permalink
ytime
Other International
159 posts
Aviate looks cool. I've always wondered with launchers do they run at the same time as the stock launcher?
11:09pm 04/08/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37875 posts
Its not broken, it works fine. I said in the OP that I wasn't interested in rooting the device.
Wait until the next decently sized Android release

edit: apps I use:

- FBReader for ebooks (probably 80% of my phone use is in this)
- Feedly for RSS (most of the rest of it is in this)
- TextSecure for encrypted messaging & SMS
- Google Authenticator for 2 factor auth on Google services
- Skype for Skyping
- SwiftKey for keyboard
- Dropbox for photo syncing
12:16am 05/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15404 posts
Hey, actually curious here, what's Samsung's track record on deploying Android updates like? Is this my phone for life or will a few get through (if delayed)?

Seems like every ecosystem has a different experience with that. iOS will have a couple generations of updates, but they will make your older phone run s***. Windows have a good run since 8 with vendors (ok, Telstra, I have nfi otherwise) deploying updates in a reasonably timely fashion, and the developer roms 'just work' basically anyway on pretty much any device. People with WP7 devices are seemingly f***ed though.

What happens in Samsung droid land? I don't REALLY care if I don't get access to new releases at this price point, I'm not the sort of user who needs to be able to use the latest version of Sexy App 6.0. If my mail and websites keep loading then yay I assume KitKat 4.4 or whatever it is will be good for at least a year+ anyway.
08:31am 05/08/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37877 posts
I think, but am not sure, that it is device specific.
10:05am 05/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2338 posts
Samsung don't update as commonly. Eg: You can't get Kitkat on an older S model. But again, with custom ROMs you can get 4.3/4.4 on many devices right now.

Clearly Google phones get updates first and fastest. THEN Samsung will have an update, maybe, THEN the firmware goes to Telstra/Optus/Vodafone commonly, where they add their own bloat and splash screens etc. There is 3 points of failure to whether you get an update on your phone, give or take.

Eg: On an old HTC Incredible I can't go higher than 2.x.x legit, but I can install CM11 and run the latest KitKat right now on it, no bloat, no bulls***, etc.

For me, rooting/ROMs aren't about what free apps you get, or what awesome pretty colours it comes with. For me it's about performance vs battery life, smooth transitions, smooth scrolling, fast response, low RAM usage etc. You can get minimalist ROMs that use f*** all resources, you can get bloated ROMs that are all about prettyness. Some are about total conversions, some are about adding features but making them seamless to the rest of the OS.

CyanogenMod is a good balanced ROM, it's turned into the 'go to' ROM for a ton of devices now. They've slowly gone from an enthusiast developer to a full blown company that would like to see their OS used everywhere.
10:17am 05/08/14 Permalink
The Nerfatar
Brisbane, Queensland
8763 posts
- FBReader for ebooks (probably 80% of my phone use is in this)

I think I tried this years ago, and highly recommend trying out aldiko if you haven't, though use FBReader on my pc still I think.

Hey, actually curious here, what's Samsung's track record on deploying Android updates like? Is this my phone for life or will a few get through (if delayed)?

In my experience, not fantastic, as my galaxy s1, when only about 2 years old, was considered obsoleted for some reason (despite still being very capable compared to modern cheap devices), and hasn't received updates since the 2.x version of the OS.
10:43am 05/08/14 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
6550 posts
In my experience, not fantastic, as my galaxy s1, when only about 2 years old, was considered obsoleted for some reason

+1
Checking in here with a galaxy s3 that was released around 2 years ago - android 4.3 is considered 'up to date'.
Apparently 4.4 is available for the device in the USA so I'm guessing it's Optus dragging the chain but I'm not holding my breath for kit kat.

Compare that with the iphone 3GS that I previously had - it was a trooper and received updates directly via Apple from iOS 3 (2009-ish) to iOS 6 (last updated Feb 2014).

So yeah, not that impressed with Samsung here. What Nats said was good, grab a Nexus device. :D
With the Nexus 7 at least you can download the roms from google directly.
12:14pm 05/08/14 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
21773 posts
Spook what WindowsPhone do you have? I think I will get their 1520 phablet successor next.
12:15pm 05/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15406 posts
Checking in here with a galaxy s3 that was released around 2 years ago - android 4.3 is considered 'up to date'.
Apparently 4.4 is available for the device in the USA so I'm guessing it's Optus dragging the chain but I'm not holding my breath for kit kat.

Compare that with the iphone 3GS that I previously had - it was a trooper and received updates directly via Apple from iOS 3 (2009-ish) to iOS 6 (last updated Feb 2014).

What happens if you had a retail S3 instead of Optus? Could you kit kat now?
12:18pm 05/08/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37878 posts
Holy s*** I can't believe I forgot K9 mail. Samsung might have a better default mail client but the normal Android Gmail client is a complete piece of s***. K9 kicks all ass.
12:25pm 05/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2340 posts
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/561572/20140804/samsung-galxaxy-s3-root-international-model-galaxy.htm (1 day ago)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Upgrade to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Detailed

For those who have the Samsung Galaxy S4[I think they mean 3 lel], the bad news is that you can no longer officially upgrade to the Android Kitkat, the latest in the Android OS updates leading to the Android L.

But that does not mean that it's impossible to do so with other means, and that includes customised ROM hacks thanks to the likes of Paranoid Android.

Etc. The best way to get acquainted with rooting a phone would be to do it to your old one first. If it's a smart phone it's bound to have some hax out there. Try some roms, f*** around with the bootloader etc. The second time onwards was a much easier task and no sweats.

Edit: Even if they 'do' mean the S4, that still isn't good news for an S3 tbh.
05:40pm 05/08/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
38229 posts
Spook what WindowsPhone do you have? I think I will get their 1520 phablet successor next.

lolz, asif id have a windows phone (unless it was a work phone)

if i were to buy a phone and pay for me own calls (ive never actually done that), id be lining up for a one plus one.
06:46pm 05/08/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37886 posts
Etc. The best way to get acquainted with rooting a phone would be to do it to your old one first. If it's a smart phone it's bound to have some hax out there. Try some roms, f*** around with the bootloader etc. The second time onwards was a much easier task and no sweats.
I rooted my tablet, then have spent every second since wondering who else in addition to Google and the NSA now has access to my data
12:14am 07/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15411 posts

My old phone was a Lumia 920?

Instructions unclear, it won't boot now. Pls advise.
08:40am 07/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
2346 posts
What instructions did you follow? Did you find everything they mentioned? Did all download links work? Did you read it through before trying? Did you check the last page or two to see if people (who are most likely more duncey than you) are thanking the guy for a working mod that they found worked without any issues?

Further information pertinent to this issue would be highly appreciated. Roger comms?
08:51am 07/08/14 Permalink
ytime
Other International
162 posts
Holy s*** I can't believe I forgot K9 mail. Samsung might have a better default mail client but the normal Android Gmail client is a complete piece of s***. K9 kicks all ass.

I found it no different than Gmail app? I think it was even slower. This was on a Nexus 4 maybe it's different on a tablet.
09:54am 07/08/14 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
6553 posts

Ahh, that link from pheex is interesting.
I've got no problems with 4.3 Jelly Bean, but obviously over time applications will stop supporting it. Hopefully we're talking a time frame of 2-3 years by which time I'll have dumped the device anyway. At least you get a feel for where Samsung and is with their policy.
10:14am 07/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1051 posts
Who woulda thought nats new what he was talking about after all Hogster! Prey you dont have a voided brick. Vanilla for lyfe yo. :)
10:46am 07/08/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15413 posts
Who woulda thought nats new what he was talking about after all Hogster! Prey you dont have a voided brick. Vanilla for lyfe yo. :)

It was not a serious remark, sigh.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&amp;amp;``................`\
11:15am 07/08/14 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2542 posts
Does anyone recommend any particular music player for Android?

Play music is okay, but if you have a album of various artists for example, it'll make separate folders in the library & album pages. It's annoying as.
11:52am 07/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1052 posts
Hah, thats wicked!
11:53am 07/08/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1502 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
11:57am 07/08/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
1052 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
12:05pm 07/08/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37887 posts

I found it no different than Gmail app? I think it was even slower. This was on a Nexus 4 maybe it's different on a tablet.
it's staggeringly different to gmail - the Gmail app is mostly online-only, with poor/no configurability for offline mail. K9 lets you set how much offline mail you want in precise detail so you can always be confident that the mail you want is on your phone. So much better for travelling etc.
12:32pm 07/08/14 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2286 posts
Play music is okay, but if you have a album of various artists for example, it'll make separate folders in the library & album pages. It's annoying as.

I used to use the default app for the HTC Droids but now I use Spotify

I use default email app for exchange too works fine can't see how it could be improved.

I use the default apps as much as I can they work for me just fine except for typing I use Swiftkey because that's the bomb diggy bomb.

last edited by Meddek at 16:34:48 07/Aug/14
04:31pm 07/08/14 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21377 posts
11:44pm 07/08/14 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4235 posts
Offwhat?
01:46pm 08/08/14 Permalink