Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
ACA piece on religious recruitment in schools
Nerf Stormborn
Brisbane, Queensland
8581 posts
It's dodgy as all hell news reporting, but worth watching for the telling bit at 6:29.

11:59pm 12/06/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:59pm 12/06/14 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24337 posts
Is there like a transcript or something. My mouse has hovered over the play button for a while but I can't physically allow myself to watch an ACA video.
12:14pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Nerf Stormborn
Brisbane, Queensland
8584 posts
TL;DW They're not supposed to evangelize, and claim that they're not (despite only having training with a group that describes themselves as evangelists for kids, and their leader being on tape declaring that she thinks that schools are the best recruiting grounds that they have access to), and parents think that they're just being taught about religion(s), yet when the kids actually do the crossword puzzles etc (beyond what a parent would see at a cursory glance of the material), it's full of evangelist slogans such as "Jesus died for our sins" and "We are nothing without Jesus" etc. They get tens of millions of taxpayer dollars for their 'work', and now are suing the mother who sent the books she bought to a group intending to combat such behaviour.
12:27pm 13/06/14 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1769 posts
Is there like a transcript or something. My mouse has hovered over the play button for a while but I can't physically allow myself to watch an ACA video.

Exactly right.

Also, thanks Nerf.
02:28pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
582 posts
Ok so that needs to stop immediately.

Also I'm against evangelists recruiting children.
02:33pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
6482 posts
Special Religious Instruction still requires parental consent forms, correct?
If parents don't want evangelists indoctrinating their kids don't sign the form, problem solved.
03:16pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Nerf Stormborn
Brisbane, Queensland
8587 posts
As above though, they're almost certainly lying about what they're there for and do. That's the point of what the mother is doing.
03:22pm 13/06/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5053 posts
this is how you handle this sort of thing

http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html
03:25pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
8520 posts
Should be made criminal to Prosthelytize to persons under the age of 18. These people are sick, twisted scum.
04:00pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37972 posts
hahahahah

Date: Tuesday 16 March 2010 10.18am
To: Darryl Robinson
Subject: Word of God

DARYL, THIS IS GOD. BUY DAVID A TOYOTA PRADO. A WHITE ONE. WITH DARK GREY LEATHER INTERIOR AND SAT NAV.

05:49pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
3435 posts
Special Religious Instruction still requires parental consent forms, correct?
If parents don't want evangelists indoctrinating their kids don't sign the form, problem solved.

The whole point of this piece is that they are deceiving the parents. Maybe watch it.

this is how you handle this sort of thing

http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html

Golden.
07:11pm 13/06/14 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6855 posts
So my dog and cat aren't going heaven?

lame
07:44pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
6483 posts
The whole point of this piece is that they are deceiving the parents. Maybe watch it.

I did watch it. Common sense should tell parents that religious instructors are in schools to proselytize though.
What else would they be there for?
07:45pm 13/06/14 Permalink
Nerf Stormborn
Brisbane, Queensland
8588 posts
I did watch it. Common sense should tell parents that religious instructors are in schools to proselytize though.
What else would they be there for?

A lot of people aren't very experienced with religion and I think are much more vulnerable to it.

According to one study, kids raised without religion are more likely to become religious than kids raised with religion are likely to become irreligious, it's just that because the number of kids raised religious so outnumbers the irreligiously raised, the current trajectory of religion is going down, but presumably, the long term trend would be that closer to an equilibrium point, the rate of religiousness is going up, unless some other factor changes. I suspect that those without experience with religion just have little inoculation against its manipulations and scammy behaviour, which are pretty highly evolved mind control stuff in my experience, and I'm glad for the outspoken critical anti-theistic movement highlighting the problems of religion and making it something to be shunned, even if people call it rude.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/files/2014/05/wpid-Photo-20140513173105.jpg
08:05pm 13/06/14 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8373 posts
my kids go to a NSW Public School and I had to sign something to have them NOT have weekly religious instruction.

For the little ones it's an hour a week, for older kids it's more.

My kids get to go to the library for that time with the kids who's religions don't turn up.
08:44pm 13/06/14 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3499 posts
I wonder how accurate that survey is, I wouldn't expect to see such a big difference between Mormans and Jehovah's who have basically the same kind of methods of indoctrination and ostracization.
I suspect that those without experience with religion just have little inoculation against its manipulations and scammy behaviour
I'd say my first real encounter with religion was in the exact sort of situation we are talking about now, an evangelistic religious instructor in my primary school. Up until that point I was told that god existed and was a thing but religion itself was pretty murky as my Dad was a closet atheist and my Mum a social or default Christian (non-practicing).

Funnily enough though that encounter set me on my path to Atheism, I had up until then taken the existence of god as a given but the evangelist wanted to sell the whole fear of hell bulls*** and the concept of sin which was completely at odds with my own moral understandings at that age. I was taught right and wrong based on empathy, the whole "How would you feel if someone did that to you" sort of thing. So the whole right and wrong based on a reward/punishment system felt wrong to me and then when you find out it's rigged from the start and you are born with sin I started thinking that this whole religion thing was a bunch of crap. Also the whole infallibility of god followed by a big list of examples of where he failed kind of stood out as peculiar.

I was about 7 at the time and it took me until probably 13/14 that I decided if I didn't believe in the religion then there wasn't any point in believing in the existence of god
01:50am 14/06/14 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1858 posts
Back when I was at school scripture or religious instruction was compulsory. I'm happy to state that I was sent out of the class every week with 5 minutes of the start. Later on we could select private study instead which I did straight away, then the teacher decided he would read the bible to us. I asked him to stop as it was private study not religious study otherwise I'd ask him questions he wouldn't want to answer proving his hypocrisy.

He told me to go for it as he was safe in his Christianity. So I asked "How much did you get for your daughter?" You could tell he was taken aback and getting angry. So I said "Exodus 21:7 Sanctions the slavery of daughters look it up", I then said "You have a daughter", "How much did you get for her?" He said he hadn't sold her. I replied, "That's not very Christian of you", "Perhaps you are selective with your Christianity and therefore a hypocrite".

Red rag to a bull, I was sent out. He wanted me to get 6 cuts of the cane and suspended. I explained the conversation to both the Deputy Headmaster and the Headmaster including my objection to being read the bible in private study.

Long story short, I went back to private study he didn't.
09:50am 14/06/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
5057 posts
hey HJ, didn't you have the old "CO's hour" in the forces. they were a nice break.
03:09pm 14/06/14 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6858 posts
What happens to kids in mulim madrassa's who decide to think for themselves and question whether islam is just all made up like other religions..... ?
07:45pm 14/06/14 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1859 posts
hey HJ, didn't you have the old "CO's hour" in the forces. they were a nice break.

No, back in my day we only had compulsory church parade, even on operations and exercise, something about atheists and trenches
07:56pm 14/06/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3564 posts
it's called 'religion ruins everything' it's pretty much something that's only useful to draw on from days of schooling if you find yourself on your death bed reflecting on how inside every old person is a young person wondering where it all went wrong
09:37pm 14/06/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
15852 posts
Jesus Trillion, take your pills man.
10:39pm 14/06/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3565 posts
no thanks i don't have a cold
12:13am 15/06/14 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8530 posts
Yeah, I rate this up with having country & western music forced down my throat for several years as I went to a rural country primary school.

I ended up getting kicked in the ribs by him (in primary school).
01:44am 15/06/14 Permalink
Jim
UK
13541 posts
who takes pills for a cold?
02:15am 15/06/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:15am 15/06/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page