AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Recommend ADSL2+ Model with good wifi
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21329 posts
Righto

I've cracked the s**** with the current modem here (Linksys X3000) it syncs at s*** speeds and has really bad wifi

I want a new modem, so fire ahead, is Billion still the goto? 7800N or whatever they are?

Cheers team
04:28pm 11/05/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:28pm 11/05/14 Permalink
Pablitos Way
Melbourne, Victoria
59 posts
Billions are still the best, I have the old model and its still going strong.
04:33pm 11/05/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4984 posts
05:37pm 11/05/14 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
11578 posts
I've had one of these for more than a year: http://umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=262&bid=2&sid=102965

There was a firmware issue at one stage but they resolved it within a few days. Otherwise it has been flawless, the wireless performance is excellent.
05:59pm 11/05/14 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3811 posts
Get a Fritzbox http://fritzbox.com.au/product-fritz-wlan7390.html

I got one and as much as I love it for the modem router it is, I always found the wifi to be a bit s***. There's a new one out now that does 802.11AC wireless so might be better.

http://www.cplonline.com.au/fritzbox-avm7490-adsl2-modem-router-avm7490.html
06:09pm 11/05/14 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10978 posts
I love billions
i am almost a billion fanboy
but my 7800VDPX's wifi is not teriffic. Okay, perhaps even good, but not great.
09:39pm 11/05/14 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
268 posts
How about buying a cheap ADSL modem, like a TPlink one, and wiring it to a powerful Wi-Fi router like the Asus RT-N66U.
09:57pm 11/05/14 Permalink
Gibster
100 posts
12:53am 12/05/14 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
2010 posts
+1 for Fritz!Box here.

I'm using a 7390, and have been for 3 years + I could count the number of times it's dropped my internet connection one hand, and on two occasions it was because my phone line was physically cut.
I can't speak for Wifi range, but I have always had reliable N speeds from it.

I've converted most of my family onto the them. I bought the Fritz!fon as well (to see what sorta sense I could make of trying to operate a VOIP service) and it's baus as f*** also.

'Out of the box' I can use the DECT handset to update firmware on the Fritz!Box and the 'Fon'. I can also use the Fritz!Fon to play media on my TV (all through the magic of DLNA).

Shy of spending big bucks on some serious, purpose built hardware (firewall appliances etc) I'm sure they don't make em better.
02:09am 12/05/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6154 posts

+1 for Fritzbox

I pre-ordered mine from internode when they came out over 3 years ago and love it. also been very good speeds with it. i am actually looking at selling it because i want to get the new one with wireless AC. I found the wifi on my 7390 to be better than the Billion 7404vpn which i gave to my parents. they also support VDSL for future s***ting nbn. Also it has iOS app and andorid app if you dont want to spend money on VoIP phone and you also plug old analogue phone into it

http://www.fritzbox.com.au/product-fritz-wlan7490.html

08:45am 12/05/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1906 posts
I have a Billion 7404MGO-M.

What's so good about the fritzbox exactly? There are lots of routers that tick almost every box the fritzbox can..

Is it faster than the rest? Onboard extras? Best hardware to run DD-WRT on?

??

(FTTN rollout almost finished here, should be online within a month or two. Waiting on the phone for more info, but pretty sure it's VDSL so no current routers will apply to me.)
09:17am 12/05/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6155 posts
Well compared my Billion 7404vn to my Fritz 7390.

At mum dad house was connecting billion at 6.3mps down compared to my Fritz 8.9mps

At my place Billion at 16.9mps to fritz 20.2mps

I do like the Dect support friz has so you can just buy cordless phones and the quality of VoIP is very good. I like how easy it is to connect into my router and also setting up VPN for my iphone and ipad. Find wifi to be great i have around 9 wireless devices and all at full speeds. it has built in fax maching and answering machine (which we use at one our work sites)
09:25am 12/05/14 Permalink
Pablitos Way
Melbourne, Victoria
60 posts
Question, can you piggyback off a router/modem with just a router? I have billion modem/router running upstairs and off one of the ports I have a CAT5 cable running all the way to the garage which I want to hook a router up to so I can connect a ps3 and 2 PC's. Can it be done?
09:59am 12/05/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1907 posts
Question, can you piggyback off a router/modem with just a router? I have billion modem/router running upstairs and off one of the ports I have a CAT5 cable running all the way to the garage which I want to hook a router up to so I can connect a ps3 and 2 PC's. Can it be done?

Yes. You put the modem router (the one connected directly to the phone line) into modem, or 'bridge' mode. And the next router in the chain will negotiate the DSL connection once you set it up (putting in the ISP details, etc)

In the below image the 'modem' is your modem/router set to bridge mode. The W330R is the device which would have the ISP login information in it.

http://www.tenda.cn/userfiles/image/ImportWord/20120323/5-the P2P bridge mode for W300A.files/image001.jpg

---------------

Looking twice, I think the above isn't even needed. You just want to share the net out to more computers? Just get a 5 or 8 port gigabit switch and put that in the garage where the PC's and consoles are. Plug your long CAT cable from the modem router into the switch, then plug everything else into the switch. You can have 2 switches running off different ports on the router, you can plug switches into switches, etc. Think of them as a junction point and nothing more.

(There is a switch on the right hand side of the above image. Imagine that's in your garage, gg)
10:24am 12/05/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6156 posts
the other things fritz does which is great depending if you need it but it has good child protection so you can choose which computer has what type of access and what times etc. it also lets you have guest access on LAN and Wifi so great if you are business and want to give people wifi :)
12:20pm 12/05/14 Permalink
Pablitos Way
Melbourne, Victoria
61 posts
Cheers Pheex.
12:25pm 12/05/14 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2555 posts
Any of you guys tried a D-Link DSL-2890AL?

I previously stayed away from D-Link but it's gotten decent reviews and has a pretty good feature list, and it seems they've gotten a bit better lately.
06:47pm 12/05/14 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
472 posts
Whirlpool Hardware List

Personally I'd rather bridge a cheap TP Link modem to a router. They're really stable and get good sync speeds plus you're less likely to care if it gets nuked by a lightning strike where you would normally just unplug if you had a much more expensive modem/router combo like a Fritzbox.
08:59am 13/05/14 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21333 posts
Thanks for all the replies. My bro has a spare billion lying around so I'll grab that and use it.

Cheers
11:38am 13/05/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3519 posts
mikrotik should do an RB2011 version with an onboard adsl2+ modem or make one pluggable in an sfp module

there must be some reason for them not, maybe because 'the future' or goal is seen as being fibre to the premises infrastructure
03:11pm 13/05/14 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
386 posts
Is it NBN ready? LOL
06:44pm 13/05/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3520 posts
maybe it's because adsl modems are just as easily bridgeable and getting into a hardware supply with an xdsl chip supplier is all regulated up and out of mikrotiks reach right now. stick to their business of making layer 3 gear

the nbn ntd just hands an ethernet plug off to an endpoint anyway so the sfp tranny for the purpose of plugging any nbn gear output into is redundant unless chaining it with fibre switching (10gb switching kit?)

a little NBN ready sticker like clippy? sure why not. why's that so lol? :P
07:52pm 13/05/14 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21335 posts
All sorted and syncing at better speeds and wifi a lot better.

Go team billion
11:03pm 13/05/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:03pm 13/05/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks