We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
newbie question relating to getting a gaming pc built
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Hello all,

I am new to this and don't have much knowledge about PC's at all.

I am wanting to get a gaming pc built for me, I play flight sims and other simulator games. I also have a lot of extra mods.

I want the PC to run the games properly and nicely.

I have been to 2 shops and this is what they recommended to me.

Gskill DDR3-2133 (8GBX2) PC31700-16GB
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Mainboard
Western Digital 1TB caviar black
Cooler Master 750W GX2
80 Bronze PSU
Cooler Master CM 690 3 Case
Samsung OEM DVD burner
Window 7
Intel I7- 4770K CPU
Cooler Master Seidon 240 Liquid CPU cooler
Gainward VGA GTX770 2 gb
p link tl wdn 4800 adapter

$2205 ( I don't want to spend this much I told them I would like to spend around $1000 If possible)

2nd package

Asrock mother board ( sata3 + usb3.0)
2TB sata 3 Hard Disk
8GB DDR3 Ram 1333 Mhz
2Gb GT 660 grapics card
8 channel HD sound
24X DVD burner
Thermal take H22 500 watt Atx case
Intel I5 4670 quad core 3.4 GHZ

$1000

I got no idea about the technical side of things I just want to play my games.

Any other Ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
02:51pm 27/03/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:51pm 27/03/14 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
377 posts
somethings wrong with your top option.
the i7 4770K is a LGA1150 socket type
The z77 mobo is an LGA1155 socket type.

CPU won't fit in Motherboard

If you choose top option with that CPU you want a z87 motherboard.
02:54pm 27/03/14 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
378 posts
02:58pm 27/03/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37629 posts
what shop is that so i know never to go there again?

pay me to make your machine, you'll get plenty of change from the shop above and get a better box.

love

spook
03:07pm 27/03/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4958 posts
give spook $1500, he'll build you a beast, and deliver it by vtec*

*delivery not guaranteed, as I really cant speak for spook
03:32pm 27/03/14 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
19453 posts
delivered to sydney
04:02pm 27/03/14 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21546 posts
Liquid cooling is pure wankery in a system like this, even the stock cooler would be fine if you're not planning on overclocking stuff (which considering you said you aren't too techie, I doubt you will be). I'd also try and get an SSD in there, even if you just get a small 64gb one and use it for your OS and apps and maybe a couple of your most played games, it really makes a ridiculous difference to how quickly your PC does s***. And while it may be tempting to, don't skimp on the quality of the power supply. Sure you might get away with it if you buy a cheaper one, but not worth the risk imo, especially with $1000+ of other various electronic componentry on the line.
04:20pm 27/03/14 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
19454 posts
of course it is just an attempt to up sell, plant the seed of the bigger system for those that have the cash but don't want to spend it initially but could be persuaded

it's just business
04:28pm 27/03/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1586 posts
Everything Khel said, except if you want to get an SSD, go at least 120GB. A well used copy of Windows at 12 months old gets into the 40GB mark often. Add office and other b****y software that likes to stay on C: and you're full.

Damn, there is so many computer threads going at the moment. - Use the link that beau provided to find 'relatively' well balanced systems. Because a 4670 + GT660 isn't that good of a match.
05:14pm 27/03/14 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Melbourne, Victoria
1340 posts
Its strange that they would add a Liquid CPU cooler to that 2k build? Which leads me to believe this is not a "reputable store" or there has been some mix up. Its also not clear from the OP which store gave which build. OR if both builds are from the one store?

If it was a reputable store id assume they might have people coming in to buy "a good gaming system" and just stating that 1k is the budget. I could imagine this might happen quite often. Because "consoles". These people would probably be like the OP and state "they have no idea about PC tech".

The shop has probably found that these customers actually do have no real idea about what is or isn't a "good gaming system" (funny that) and so head aches ensue. They might even get poor feedback, or complaints, when these newbies get their systems home and whoever has to use the 1k system finds it doesnt run as well as they thought a 1k system should run PC games "properly and nicely".

So instead of having to educate every customer (which i image would be a pain if these threads are anything to go by) as to what is a good pc, why its a good pc, and why it costs the price it does, its just faster to put in an actual good system at a price that is more realistic and let the customer choose if they want to invest the time to investigate.

Best would be to sit people down and have a chat bur i know lots of PC stores that just do not operate like that.

Its a case of the ol "the customer is not always right" scenario.
06:03pm 27/03/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4959 posts
*hangs head* I has water cooling on a sub 2K system

it make so little noise behind the heavy sound deadened case tho (I think the radiator helps muffle some of the noise too)
06:10pm 27/03/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1588 posts
Water cooling is all about adding surface area for the cooling to happen. Compare a NH-D14 to a 120mm half thickness radiator. The D14 has way more surface area, across a larger fan area, with larger fans, running slower to produce the same airflow, creating less noise.

But when you move to 240mm+ radiators, full thickness radiators etc - you see the difference water cooling can provide.is huge. I've put a 240mm enclosed wc setup onto a lesser chip than a 4770K, simply because the owner wanted it to run very cool. Personally I have 2x 560mm full thickness rads, way overkill - but I run all the rad fans at 20%, even under max load. So while the system is powerful, it's whisper quiet, the water pump being the loudest component. (Actually, I recently installed 2 spinny spinners in it so now I can hear them as well)

For the average "hello PC" user (to which I mean their first computer or zero hardware experience), I'd recommend they stick with an air cooler, such as the D14 or a Phantek. - I can argue that even a basic enclosed wc kit adds complexity for no gain. It's only when you start overclocking heavily or running large amounts of hardware that WC is great for keeping the heat out of the case. While it's anyone's buy, I wouldn't recommend water to anyone unless they are confident in building the system themselves.

Also, don't forget that the CPU comes with a free stock cooler which is rated to cool the CPU under max load, including in hot rooms. Intel are very particular when they certify anything related to thermals. It'll just be 'noisier' than an aftermarket cooler that is touted for being quiet.

--------------

Edit: OP, this is the first one I could actually recommend. http://tinyurl.com/q4twcz3

Yes, it's a little over your budget at $1399, but the value of it is a lot higher when you compare it to the $999 systems. Up to you there. Are you hard limited to $1000? Did you also need a screen, kb, mouse, speakers/headset/mic?
06:20pm 27/03/14 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7725 posts
Ditch the water cooling in favour of a cheap but good air solution ($40-ish), then add a 250GB samsung SSD ($180-ish) to host your OS and frequently played games.
08:52pm 27/03/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
15400 posts
Stock coolers are like jet engines, heaps loud. So worth spending $40 on an aftermarket cooler.
08:59pm 27/03/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37630 posts
nothign wrong with hearing your pc.
09:32pm 27/03/14 Permalink
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
WOW

I only posted my question a couple of hours ago and I've already got so many answers.

Thankyou

I've got a lot of reading to do..
10:10pm 27/03/14 Permalink
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts

Hello

I found this guy who lives not to far from me http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-rocks/desktops/budget-super-computers/1042391806

just wondering what you guys think

10:31pm 27/03/14 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10648 posts
http://www.msy.com.au/home.php
go into any of these NSW locations you are near and tell them how much you have to spend and get them to build it.
10:38pm 27/03/14 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3439 posts

Hello

I found this guy who lives not to far from me http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-rocks/desktops/budget-super-computers/1042391806

just wondering what you guys think

I think the picture is in no way representative of the product, that PC in the picture is probably closer to $3k and there is no system in his list that even uses the GFX card in that PC. There is a lot of dodgy s*** there, I wouldn't give some random guy who makes up bogus claims any money.

Never buy a PC system that doesn't list the parts used from the brand down to the model number. The one posted by ph33x is a great example of what you want to see when buying a complete system, every single item is listed in detail so you know exactly what you are getting and the picture of the PC is actually representative of the PC you will receive.
11:07pm 27/03/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1589 posts

I think the picture is in no way representative of the product, that PC in the picture is probably closer to $3k and there is no system in his list that even uses the GFX card in that PC. There is a lot of dodgy s*** there, I wouldn't give some random guy who makes up bogus claims any money.

Didn't look at the page till you mentioned that. The computer on that Gumtree page is called Genesis, built by Origin PC in the US. (With Origin, think Alienware but all over again) - With 3 Titans and a 3970X, it would be somewhere up in the $6000 mark, just the parts alone.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6910/origin-genesis-review-triple-titan-terror/2

I don't think they'd be too happy about it, but meh.
11:23pm 27/03/14 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2576 posts
Gumtree LOLs
12:53am 28/03/14 Permalink
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts

OK

I found this place http://www.dcomponline.com.au/productlist.asp?catid=154

I like this because they offer a payment plan over 300 days interest free I am a student so this would be a better form of payment for myself.

Wanting to know what you guys think about there systems.

thanks

01:14am 28/03/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37631 posts
relax bros, i got this.
06:57am 28/03/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1591 posts
The recommendations we've given you are the cheapest you'll get without the risk of being rorted. I'd also recommend you live within your means, but that's another line of debate all together.

Cheers.
09:05am 28/03/14 Permalink
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
5 posts
Thankyou to All for the above comments I am learning a lot.

BIG Thanks to Spook for letting me annoy him Via Email I really appreciate it.

This is what Spook has come up with for me.

i5-4670 $250
AsRock Z87M - PRO4 $122
8gig kit 2400 gskill Ripjaws $109
Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250g $185
Seagate SATA3 3tb $130
sata dvd rw lg $20
coolermaster antec vsk4-500 $92
3g gtx 780 gigabyte $580
--------------------------
$1488

What do you guys think?

Oh and buy the way Spook told me to post his recommendation on the forum for feedback.

Thanks again
11:29pm 28/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10406 posts
I asked a question on Qgl once.

But only because the marketing guys and girls at work made me do it.

nah... they were all blokes.. kinda

deal with it
01:06am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10407 posts
nothign wrong with hearing your pc.

*** slap ***

You are color blind Spook.

You perceive colour in ways that others do not.

I'd love to have you on my project mate ( no really - I get sent young blokes who unemployable )

apparently I have to teach them MS and *nix tech before they leave my grasp.

you would be better at this than I am.

You actually like people...
01:30am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10408 posts
I want the PC to run the games properly and nicely.

hi Matt - please accept my apologies for being so rude in your thread here on the internet.

I lost my manners for a moment.

I am wanting to get a gaming pc built for me, I play flight sims and other simulator games. I also have a lot of extra mods.

Mat, I can only suggest that you that you have quite learning curve in front on you. If many ways, you have certainly come to the right place.

01:39am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10409 posts
no s*** wait - I was wrong.

I don't know anyone here in this forum who likes flight sims

01:49am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10410 posts
oh crap... I'll never catnip again @#$%^
01:54am 29/03/14 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2263 posts
Koopz be on the pingas again.
I'm actually wondering if you ever get off them but hey, who am I to judge.
02:11am 29/03/14 Permalink
mat
Sydney, New South Wales
6 posts
Koopz I got no idea what your talking about....
02:16am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10413 posts

maybe.

some fiends might say otherwise, others.. not.

it's all good
02:27am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10414 posts
btw..

it's "koopz"

all lower case.

02:30am 29/03/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10415 posts
back on subject - OP requires some help...
02:31am 29/03/14 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4960 posts

you and every other person on this forum
04:37am 29/03/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1598 posts
This is what Spook has come up with for me.

i5-4670 $250
AsRock Z87M - PRO4 $122
8gig kit 2400 gskill Ripjaws $109
Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250g $185
Seagate SATA3 3tb $130
sata dvd rw lg $20
coolermaster antec vsk4-500 $92
3g gtx 780 gigabyte $580
--------------------------
$1488

What do you guys think?

Hi. This is a good match. Get this one. Thanks.

Come again.

(Buy a Power Supply too, it'll come in handy)
11:58am 29/03/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37637 posts
just send order off to msy sales email at your local msy, pay them $80 to build it.

you'll need to sort out your own windows and setup yourself.

shame, if you were in brisbane, its all part of my service.
12:02pm 29/03/14 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3440 posts
3g gtx 780 gigabyte $580

Not sure why Spook is recommending a 780 for a budget gaming PC, mid range cards are where the bang for buck is. Go for a GTX760 for a bit over $300 or a R9270X for a bit under $300 for the best value.

You will also need a copy of windows and probably will want a better PSU, the money you save from going for the mid range card would be able to cover the cost of the PSU and OS.
12:19pm 29/03/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37638 posts
yer, i asked him if it was just for flight sims and he said no, he wanted to be able to play new games.

so future proofing it fora bit.

was still under price, else i would have gone a cheaper vid card.
12:24pm 29/03/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:24pm 29/03/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.