AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Chromecast
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6045 posts

PIcked up a Chromecast on the weekend (here is link if you dont know what it is https://www.google.com.au/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/)

All I can say is its the best device to use Plex with. Just works. I use my ipad Plex app to choose the movie i want then it plays directly to the device i choose.

List of Chromecast apps at the moment https://www.google.com.au/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

04:26pm 10/02/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:26pm 10/02/14 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3827 posts

PIcked up a Chromecast on the weekend (here is link if you dont know what it is https://www.google.com.au/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/)

All I can say is its the best device to use Plex with. Just works. I use my ipad Plex app to choose the movie i want then it plays directly to the device i choose.

does this mean your plex server talks to the chromecast, or does the plex server talk to your plex app on your ipad and that talks to chromecast?

http://www.afr.com/p/business/companies/telstra_in_talks_with_google_over_yoUFDlXKGkK8eikaYNACmO

Telstra is in talks with Google to launch its Chromecast device in Australia, news reports said. Chromecast is a small device that plugs into TVs and computers to act as a web-streaming service. Users can watch shows and movies bought and downloaded from the internet.

Both companies are in talks to distribute the device in Australia within the next 12 months under the leadership of Telstra Media group managing director Rick Ellis, The Australian reported on its web site.

Telstra engineers are also exploring the use of Google’s service on its T-Box set top box device.

04:51pm 10/02/14 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
3055 posts
I got one a few months ago. Once I fiddled with my router's wifi settings a bit, was able to get Netflix to stream from my devices to the TV via the CC. Love being able to browse for titles on my phone and then shoot it across to the TV.
05:15pm 10/02/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6046 posts
does this mean your plex server talks to the chromecast, or does the plex server talk to your plex app on your ipad and that talks to chromecast?

Don't quote me on this but i believe once you use your ipad/iphone/android app to choose the movie etc then the plex server just pushes it to the chrome cast.
05:25pm 10/02/14 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
3135 posts
Whered you pick one up from TiT? I was going to get a friend from the states to bring it over when he visits.
06:28pm 10/02/14 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22726 posts
I use my ipad Plex app to choose the movie i want then it plays directly to the device i choose.
My Transformer tablet has something similar, called mynet or something. Plays from a DLNA server to a DLNA client.
06:30pm 10/02/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37394 posts
Whered you pick one up from TiT? I was going to get a friend from the states to bring it over when he visits

i posted this the other day:

chromecast locally for $50

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/120753
08:33pm 10/02/14 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1195 posts
I chose to get an Android mini TV stick instead (MK808B). That way I can run a Plex client ("Serenity") as well as any other Android app. It costs less (~$40) and you get more functionality with only a bit more mucking around.
08:43pm 10/02/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4817 posts
Your link sucks spook

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/120753

So does this device stream from your server or is only for wifi direct from the net?
09:18pm 10/02/14 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8330 posts
I've had one since October. Don't actually use it for much yet, looking forward to seeing what new apps people come out with.
10:58pm 10/02/14 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
638 posts
I got one last week mainly on a recommendation from another thread for its ease of use with Plex. Plex is good. Its all easy to setup which is what I was after. I've had one instance with stuttering when watching a 720p mp4 file so I just rebooted my PC and the ChromeCast and it was fine again. I think the Android Plex app is still being developed and isn't quite polished yet.

They've opened up Chromecast to developers now so should see some interesting new apps soon.

One thing that sux is not being able to cast from Chrome on Android or iOS... but it can be done from a PC??
09:34am 11/02/14 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
3828 posts
10:05am 11/02/14 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
1239 posts
I got one last week mainly on a recommendation from another thread for its ease of use with Plex. Plex is good. Its all easy to setup which is what I was after. I've had one instance with stuttering when watching a 720p mp4 file so I just rebooted my PC and the ChromeCast and it was fine again. I think the Android Plex app is still being developed and isn't quite polished yet.

They've opened up Chromecast to developers now so should see some interesting new apps soon.

One thing that sux is not being able to cast from Chrome on Android or iOS... but it can be done from a PC??

Yeah, the only good thing about operating it from android is you can push youtubes to a queue. It is good for parties when everyone wants to put on their youtube songs but it has to go into a queue this way so you don't get songs being shut off halfway through.

Only thing that I would like is to be able to push Plex in Chrome full screened on the Chromecast but not have to run it in full screen on my laptop. Anyone worked out how to do this?
10:34am 11/02/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6048 posts
Yeah, the only good thing about operating it from android is you can push youtubes to a queue. It is good for parties when everyone wants to put on their youtube songs but it has to go into a queue this way so you don't get songs being shut off halfway through.

yeah that is what i use my Apple TV for with my Spotify account. Everyone can choose the songs they want to play using the ipad and spotify. Pretty sure spotify will come out the chromecast soon.

Only thing that I would like is to be able to push Plex in Chrome full screened on the Chromecast but not have to run it in full screen on my laptop. Anyone worked out how to do this?

why would you want to do this when plex has its own app for chromecast?
10:50am 11/02/14 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
1240 posts
Do you have to pay for it?

There's so much premium shiz on the plex site it was confusing to work out what were paid products. I just got the server running and found I could cast chrome tabs so figured that was it, I'll take a look tonight at the chromecast app.
11:07am 11/02/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6049 posts
Ahh yeah I have plex pass its only $75 which is well worth it for me as i use it at home and my parents house and we use the plex sync alot so we can sync movies to our ipad/iphone/andriod devices.

here is a list of what you get for plex pass https://plex.tv/subscription/about

you have to have plex pass to use chromecast my bad.
02:44pm 11/02/14 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
10235 posts
Chromecast is actually pretty s***.
Unless you are home user sitting at home pirating movies and watching them on plex.

Apple TV is woeful (802.1x is funny as) but Chromecast is so s*** Apple TV is ok.
e.g. It doesn't work properly with Chromebooks, the Google OS. Maybe the 6th rebirth of this device might be ok.

p.s. I am the biggest Google fan in this forum,
08:44pm 12/02/14 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
6055 posts
yeah i gave it to my parents to use just for plex easy for them to use
09:14pm 12/02/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:14pm 12/02/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks