Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
1kg T-Bone from Belvedere Bar n Grill (with pic)
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3675 posts
So dinner tonight n went to Belvedere Bar n Grill @ Portside. http://belvederebarngrill.com.au/

First time dining there n got 1kg T-Bone seasoned in Himalayan salt. Meal was for designed for 2 (hence it arriving cut up). I asked for medium but some parts were towards medium rare which i didnt mind. Quite possibly the best steak ive ever had and i pretty much only order steak wherever/whenever i dine out, with the exception of the occasional seafood restaurant and cuisines like thai, indian etc.

Anybody got other epic meal suggestions/stories/pics?

http://i.imgur.com/V0bVXDN.jpg
10:10pm 11/05/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:10pm 11/05/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16973 posts
a bit too rare for my liking
10:28pm 11/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3676 posts
The pic makes it look pinker that what i remember. It was medium (as i asked for) with some parts more towards medium rare. What matters the most for me is that the steak is hot throughout and this was. And incredibly tender.
10:30pm 11/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4115 posts
Looks a bit massacred. I prefer T-bone in one piece

what's the sauce you've got there?

Woollies T-Bones are pretty good.

Quite possibly the best steak ive ever had and i pretty much only order steak wherever/whenever i dine out, with the exception of the occasional seafood restaurant.

Seems a bit limiting for dining out. You don't do dining out by cuisine then?
10:41pm 11/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3677 posts
I didnt know it was going to arrive cut up otherwise i would have asked for it whole, especially to preserve the temperature for as long as possible. It managed to stay hot until finished though.

Sauce was pepper.

Changed the OP cause i eat thai and indian but normally beef @ both. I meant i get steak whenever i go to restaurants that offer steak, just really like steak.
10:49pm 11/05/13 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
925 posts
How much was it? I couldn't see it on the menu :(

Menu?
11:17pm 11/05/13 Permalink
Vash
3726 posts
A steak is pointless to eat if it isn't seeping juices. Anything more cooked than medium rare is too dry.
11:22pm 11/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3678 posts
Clubby. Its on the menu lol.
grain fed 70 days +
t-bone 1kg, share 2 people $79
w. roast potatoes, braised shallots, spinach and roast tomatoes
(please allow minimum 45 mins cooking time for medium)
It was my bday hence the price splurge. I avoided saying so earlier cause i didnt want this thread to seem like a bday attn whore post.

Vash, im working towards medium rare but find many places serve s*** medium rare steaks where the outside is hot but the centre is warm at best. Im no steak cooking expert but i assume you wanna cook medium rare over lower heat for longer rather than a quick blast of heat on both sides that doesnt reach the middle.
11:26pm 11/05/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11177 posts
Well I made/prepared 4 meals today, epic day, but it rained so my war on lantana had to be postponed
Taking my parents for a bbq for mothers day so I prepared some chicken/onion/capsicum skewers, and I made two polish salads, a cucumber salad called miseria which is pretty easy and salatka jarzynowa which is like potato egg and other veggies with a creamy dressing and that one takes a long time. Then I also made a balsamic chicken version of a waldorf salad for dinner. And I've cleaned up and everything.

I am stuffed.

The deal with the polish salads is that they're things that my mother made and I've been practicing so I can show her how much these dishes mean to me and I can, perhaps surprisingly, carry that legacy.
11:33pm 11/05/13 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
926 posts
oh yeah lol .... I'm going to try that bad boy on refeeding day :P
11:46pm 11/05/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10019 posts
the think I like about this thread is that people link pictures to the food they are eating...

well.. one of you bothered... the rest of you just commented.

sitting here right now staring at monitors.. starving.. need food
12:09am 12/05/13 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7723 posts
hows that himalayan salt working for ya..
12:18am 12/05/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
10197 posts
you ate that for $79 ?
I hope you were wearing lipstick...

01:29am 12/05/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1348 posts
Shop at your local butcher for your meat as the quality is significantly higher for almost the same cost
05:33am 12/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35671 posts
i believe the norman has a 1kg steak (not a tbone with all that wasted bone weight)

i am going wednesday nite to check it out
06:08am 12/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18102 posts
Wouldn't waste all that cash on a s*** cut of beef
08:48am 12/05/13 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2977 posts
I only ever eat steak at restaurants so will definitely have to try it out. Cant go past rare though, I love the sweetness it adds.

Best I have had so far was at Kingsleys with their horseradish mustard sauce. Hoolllyyyyyy!!!

Well I made/prepared 4 meals today, epic day, but it rained so my war on lantana had to be postponed
Thermite, just get some "Hotshot" from Primac Elders, smashes Lantana dead, then easy removal once done.
09:07am 12/05/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6347 posts
Awww... did the waiter cut it up for you? How cute :)

Not rare enough imo.
09:25am 12/05/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5835 posts
I have no idea why people gloat about excessive eating. it's disgusting.

The same goes for excessive drinking.
09:39am 12/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35672 posts
whoa whoa whoa there my little greazy.

theres nothing wrong at all with a bit of excessive drinking bro.
09:40am 12/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7308 posts
never order steak at restaurants. I pay money for meals I couldn't make for myself in 10 minutes.
10:06am 12/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4117 posts
I only ever eat steak at restaurants so will definitely have to try it out.

You're forgoing a lot of good pub steak places, stop depriving yourself.

Shop at your local butcher for your meat as the quality is significantly higher for almost the same cost

That's too much of a generalisation. I've have good and bad at both and pricing can be all over the place. We have a great local butcher we use all the time, http://www.longyardbeefco.com.au/services.php if you're up this way grab some of his smokey bacon and his lamb shanks, awesome stuff. Had some lamb/pumpkin/feta sausages last weekend, more awesome! All of his other stuff is great also but my local Woollies does the best T-bones.

Wouldn't waste all that cash on a s*** cut of beef

Not going to argue about price but the cut....it's far from a s*** cut, T-bones are awesome and good quality ones are fantastic. love the meat right near the bone, picking these up and gnawing away like a caveman.

I learnt a cooking test trick recently, not sure how accurate it is I haven't tested it out yet.

Try this - on one hand put your thumb and forefinger together. Then with your other hand touch the padded bit below your thumb. That's rare steak to the touch. Move your thumb along you fingers and touch the same spot again each time. You'll notice it gets firmer with each finger, that's the scale up to well done down at your thumb/little finger.
11:00am 12/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35673 posts
i pretty much only eat at pubs and only ever have steak. why would i bother eating anything else when steak (with mushroom sauce) is pretty much the best thing in the world.
11:08am 12/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4118 posts
when steak (with mushroom sauce) is pretty much the best thing in the world.

I'm with you there brother. the only letdown sometimes is an insipid mushy sauce at times. Love a good chunky flavoursome mushy sauce. had a good one at my local club during the week, was very surprised and impressed. (It's over the safe side of Brisbane you might not get through border security at the river.)
11:41am 12/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35674 posts
lucky for me bro i have many quality steak options on the good side of town.

taking petal and my olds to mt gravatt hotel for dinner tonite!@ bit devo they got rid of the 600g steak, apparently i was the only person who ordered it.
11:43am 12/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4119 posts
We're about to head for the Woodford Hotel for lunch. Maybe they'll have some good mushy sauce!

Enjoy the day with your Mums everybody!
11:51am 12/05/13 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
276 posts
If youre ever in Sydney around Petersham.

Grab a 20 buck schnitzel. It is massive. I couldn't finish mine. I didn't take pics but here is an article.

Hands down to anyone who can finish one. But be prepared for elevated blood pressure and passing out.

http://www.weekendnotes.com.au/white-c***atoo-hotel/
11:52am 12/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22689 posts
Looks great... but why is it all cut up and leaking its goodness everywhere?
12:23pm 12/05/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5836 posts
learn2readf*****
Meal was for designed for 2 (hence it arriving cut up).
12:26pm 12/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22690 posts
Okay I actually read the thread. I would have been furious if they sent a steak to me pre-cut up. Furious! All the juice is on the plate instead of flavouring up your mouth. My question still kind of stands... why did they cut it up even if it was for two?
12:28pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
277 posts
I agree. Pre-cutting the steak is retarded. That's one of the best bits. Cutting into the steak to see how tender it is.
01:18pm 12/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18103 posts
Huuurrr i'm too bogan to order anything but steak huurrrr

02:27pm 12/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3680 posts
Yeah it seemed strange to precut it. I assume it arrived that way so 2 people could easily share instead of fighting over cutting into it.

Its not about being bogan pave - steak tastes awesome and has a pretty f*****g good nutritional profile.
02:54pm 12/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7310 posts
and yet you got a 1kg tbone....
03:30pm 12/05/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
10199 posts
You sure you didnt order from the kids menu ?
Maybe they didnt want you playing with knives.
03:32pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1372 posts
$79 for that, you are earning too much money
03:48pm 12/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22692 posts
There's nothing bogan about steak.
03:51pm 12/05/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11179 posts
steak tastes awesome

I eat a lot of steak but hey lets not get carried away. The whole art of serving steak meals is to disguise the steak flavour.

see also vodka
03:56pm 12/05/13 Permalink
sLiNky
Brisbane, Queensland
1398 posts
Had lunch today at Outback's steak house at Aspley homebase (where lone star was).

It was fantastic. Meals come with a variety of different sides you can choose from (garden salad, cesear salad, veggies, chips, soup, bread etc). Entrées a mains came out in a timely manner for a busy day.

We had our own personal waiter which was very nice and the service was 10 out of 10. My sister ordered a eye fillet steak medium rare and it came out medium rare, just melted in your mouth.

I had a chicken and pork rib combo and it was fantastic. The sauces were tasty with a bit of spice, chicken was juicy and the meat just fell off the ribs.

Glass of coke was $3 with free refills.

Highly recommended.
05:07pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4161 posts
Outback steak house in australia? Isnt that kind of like selling snow to eskimos? Btw i had my birthday lunch last year at the place this threads about and i have to say i wasnt impressed when they couldnt even toast the garlic bread without burning it
05:11pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
278 posts
There's nothing bogan about steak.

Steak and no veg with a fine cup of bundy and coke = Bogan.

Even better when the steak comes off a crappy dirty Bunnings BBQ that's rusted to s***. Oh yeah and the steak has to cook all day.
06:54pm 12/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18105 posts
you are right there isn't anything bogan about steak

though I couldn't imagine being closed minded enough to only order steak if it was on the menu

or only go to places that cook steak

I enjoy a good steak as much as the next guy but f*** there is so many other foods out there than a bogan slab of meat and potato on a plate
07:00pm 12/05/13 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1427 posts
$79 for a bone with some gristle hanging off it....

1kg porterhouse yes...but not a doggy bone...
07:07pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Caveboy
Brisbane, Queensland
361 posts
Presentation is terrible for a $79 dollar meal! Everything in this country is a rip job these days:(

07:44pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9874 posts
Belvedere is quite nice but expensive. Great place, good service so its warranted. The 1kg steak is nice, not bad for $79

I've had the 1KG at Ribs and Rumps, Norman (names on the board for the challenge) and Moo Moo's. All very good. No complaints.

Cheap and cheerful steak is the best at the Morrison.

Most expensive was Aria, but sensational.

If there is a steak on the menu, I've had it :)

Went to Pony recently and it was really good too. Cha Cha Char was expensive but not bad.
10:05pm 12/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22694 posts
10:41pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1136 posts
Ive been to the belvedere, not bad

Went to the Norman the other night and wasnt impressed - Steak was mediocre, drink waiter came once in 3hrs?

Tried hogsbreath but i like a steak with texture and this whole "melt in your mouth" thing can go too far?

Dont rate hogsbreath at all by the way :)

Went to a good pub in Dalby 2 weeks ago, had a great turf and surf steak, 20$ or something, was cooked well, plenty of "surf" and came hot and fast...

:)
10:43pm 12/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22695 posts
Hog's Breath is garbage.

The best stick I have ever eaten was at the Dalrymple in Townsville. I used to go Townsville regularly and made it a tradition to eat there. Rare rib-eye on the bone with salad. And a dozen oysters kilpatrick of course.

Moo Moo's is probably the best steak place on the coast. Their dry-aged rib-eye on the bone is my favourite. Heaps overpriced, though.
10:56pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4162 posts
Personally price means nothing to me if I get something that really hits the spot. I have zero objections to paying $100 for a great meal although I have paid more I have never yet had cause to gripe about it. Few things in life can give as much pleasure as an awesome feed :)

Btw fpot I like oysters Kilpatrick but a half decent oyster mornay beats them every time :)
11:04pm 12/05/13 Permalink
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
279 posts
Best ribs I've ever had is from Mike's kitchen.

http://www.mikeskitchen.com.au

A lil $$ but their really meaty ribs. Steaks are awesome too.
08:28am 13/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4121 posts
hit up the The Flame at the Cambridge in Rocky for a great steak. http://www.cambridgehotelmotel.com.au/

My choice for Townsville is The Seaview on the Strand http://www.seaviewhotel.com.au/bars___dining/dining_menu.php
08:33am 13/05/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5985 posts
Moo Moo's is probably the best steak place on the coast. Their dry-aged rib-eye on the bone is my favourite. Heaps overpriced, though.

Oath. Best steak on the coast, definitely worth a visit if your wallet is weighing you down.
08:47am 13/05/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2052 posts
I've been to Moo Moo GC a fair bit and its always been amazing. Except once I did get a pretty tough cut that I couldn't finish. Moo Moo Brisbane I haven't had an issue with.

Also speaking of Robina, Squires Loft is amazing for ribs. Highly recommended.

http://i.imgur.com/D5FcUPV.jpg
09:40am 13/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3684 posts
F***, nice Kappa.

Ive been wanting to check out moo moos as ive heard good things. I hate going places with s***** parking, how is parking for moo moos? Ive been to restaurant 2 which appears to be a short distance from moo moo and didnt have issues parking for free on alice street.

moo moo bris location
restaurant 2 location
01:06pm 13/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18106 posts
Had lunch today at Outback's steak house at Aspley homebase (where lone star was).

It was fantastic. Meals come with a variety of different sides you can choose from (garden salad, cesear salad, veggies, chips, soup, bread etc). Entrées a mains came out in a timely manner for a busy day.

We had our own personal waiter which was very nice and the service was 10 out of 10. My sister ordered a eye fillet steak medium rare and it came out medium rare, just melted in your mouth.

I had a chicken and pork rib combo and it was fantastic. The sauces were tasty with a bit of spice, chicken was juicy and the meat just fell off the ribs.

Glass of coke was $3 with free refills.

yep i had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and got a rack of pork ribs and they were as good as anywhere else i've had ribs

we got given a coke refill the chick was like 'here you go' and just put it down on the table and my missus drank it, same with a bread they gave us when our meal was taking a little while to come out - we were super sus on it that we were going to get charged lul

but no the extra drinks and bread were free - we were impressed and it is only about 2 minutes down the road
01:13pm 13/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3685 posts
Ive been to outback Jack's once @ redcliffe but didnt know about outback steakhouse @ aspley. Will check it out, thanks. Pleased to see lone star gone, goddam that was s***house for a number of reasons.
01:24pm 13/05/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1225 posts
I prefer my steak not trying to walk off my plate. Well done or nothing. I would never pay $80 for a steak unless it was someone elses money.
03:11pm 13/05/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5988 posts
That's ok, when the guys that charge $80 for a steak get an order for well done I'm sure they're just as saddened by the destruction of perfectly good piece of meat.
03:24pm 13/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22696 posts
I like my steak so rare it still has a name.
03:32pm 13/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3687 posts
Somebody else paid for my meal. With regards to the whole cost thing, it was ~$80 for 1kg tbone. Lets say it was 300g bone and 700g meat. Thats $40 per 350g of meat which i consider to be pretty reasonable given the fancy restaurant location and the going rate of steak in hogs breath, outback jacks etc.

And as for ordering steak well done
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31152701.jpg
03:33pm 13/05/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20844 posts
Also speaking of Robina, Squires Loft is amazing for ribs. Highly recommended.

Oh nice, theres a Squires Loft up here now. Used to always go to the one down in Melbourne, and yeah, great food, +1 to recommend.
03:45pm 13/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18107 posts
I was reminded last night why overcooked steak is terrible

Missus fricken forgot about my steak on the bbq it was pretty much medium-well done by the time it was on my plate

Worst ever dry peice if s***

Ruined a decent bit of rib fillet
03:55pm 13/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3688 posts
GF and i have steak 1-2x a week. I like mine medium rare - medium while she likes medium well - well done. I often give her left over steak to the dogs as opposed to trying to eat the ruined dry and chewy meat myself.
04:00pm 13/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35678 posts
yer, we'll get some nice steaks from aldi and cook em up in the griddle pan once a week.

im not a fancy type, so i just get mine done plain old medium.
04:09pm 13/05/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11183 posts
Nothing wrong with well done steak, I think there is a bit of misconception about it because
1) chefs do not like cooking steak well done, it costs more energy and takes longer, so they spread lies about it
2) chefs/restaurants will give poorer quality meat to customers requesting well done, partially because of point 1), partially because they believe you will be unable to tell

This all in turn creates a cycle that reinforces the negative image.

It's the same reason restaurants and cafes cook runny eggs, and people think this is acceptable. Convince the customer that the cheapest way is the best way.

A lot of the time no matter what you ask for you get the same s*** anyway. Do you think some idiot who works in a kitchen knows difference between medium-well and medium-rare ? Real life isn't masterchef.
04:30pm 13/05/13 Permalink
taggs
6147 posts
F*****g lol at the idea that there is a conspiracy to discredit well-done steak because it costs restaurants (marginally) more to produce.

Seriously.

Also, reload! knows what's up.
04:37pm 13/05/13 Permalink
taggs
6148 posts
double post
04:41pm 13/05/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5841 posts
I don't want to sound as crazy as thermite but I do agree with #1 but on a slightly different note. They do not like cooking a steak that will take them ages and requires more work/attention.
04:44pm 13/05/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21084 posts
Moo Moo's on the Goldie is over priced IMO. We always go to Cavs when we are up for Indy/V8's and they are decent

http://www.cavssteakhouse.com/

Best steak I've had though is Angus Steakhouse in Auckland, so f*****g delicious!! Stumbled on it by accident but drop by everytime I'm in Auckland

http://www.angussteakhouse.co.nz/

Kelly's is awesome at Bondi - http://www.kellys.net.au/

Ribs'n'Rump go good.

Hurricains is so fkn awesome too - http://www.hurricanesgrill.com.au/

and the meat and wine co - http://themeatandwineco.com/
04:51pm 13/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3689 posts
Do you think some idiot who works in a kitchen knows difference between medium-well and medium-rare ?

The f***? I know what the difference between cooking a medium rare versus cooking a medium well steak is. If i can do it @ home, then i expect the chef to f*****g do it right when im dining out and paying for him/her to do it for me.
05:12pm 13/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18108 posts
a truly quality thermite post

1) chefs do not like cooking steak well done, it costs more energy and takes longer, so they spread lies about it

spreading lies?

what was a I lying to myself last night when the overcooked steak I had tasted dry and cardboard ?

Do you think some idiot who works in a kitchen knows difference between medium-well and medium-rare ?

not sure if moron or trolling
05:19pm 13/05/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2053 posts
and the meat and wine co - http://themeatandwineco.com/

I've been to the one in Melb during GP weekend a few years back and it was pretty ordinary. Could have been because it was packed and a very late booking. But I'd like to try it again. I've heard nothing but good things about the Sydney one though.

Most expensive steak I've had is from Rockpool in Melbourne - Sirloin 200g 37 days $115 - Marble score 9+. Needless to say that wasn't a cheap night.

Also anything above medium is a waste imo. I get medium rare.
05:57pm 13/05/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10600 posts
I don't want to sound as crazy as thermite but I do agree with #1 but on a slightly different note. They do not like cooking a steak that will take them ages and requires more work/attention.
well sucks for you because you are just as wrong

Well done steaks are easy to cook, they require no attention because the margin for error is massive. A medium rare/rare steak requires the most attention. Blue is in and out so fast its not a problem.

edit: Having done an apprenticeship/worked in kitchens, I base this on experience.
06:09pm 13/05/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5842 posts
I dont agree but whatever. This is starting to turn into my preference is better than yours.
07:51pm 13/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22697 posts
I don't really agree either. There is a small window where you stop cooking a steak to get the perfect desired result. For example you cook a rare steak short enough to keep maximum pinkness but long enough so the middle isn't cold. It's the same thing with a well-done steak. You have to cook it long enough so all the pinkness is gone, but you wouldn't want it on there a minute longer or it is going to be excessively dry. Sure you could just say f*** it and cook without regards to keeping in the maximum amount of juicy goodness but that means you are s*** at cooking steaks.
08:07pm 13/05/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18109 posts
As if anyone working in a kitchen knows the difference between rare ane well done
08:23pm 13/05/13 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9875 posts
Meat and Wine Co. in Melbourne was equally sensational, was down for the Melbourne Cup, took the better half and was an excellent meal.

Had Ribs last night in the valley on a whim.. smashed it.

I've heard good things about Hurricanes but have never been able to get a farking booking cause its always packed!
08:58pm 13/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7312 posts
regardless of your weirdo conspiracy theories; if you're paying someone else to cook it, why not order something you couldn't do yourself?

aria is worth the price imo, easily best restaurant meal I've had in the last 12 months. stokehouse was a massive disappointment. montrachet is amazing if you're into french cooking. ortiga in the valley has been another stand out. esquire was pretentious as hell, average food and laughable portions even for a degustation style menu.

for overall quality, value and decor, libertine at the barracks is prolly still my favourite in brisbane. it was actually recommended to me years ago on qgl so apparently someone here knows the goods.
09:06pm 13/05/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10602 posts
no chef gives a f*** about your interpretation of the perfect well done steak. if you order well done you are getting a piece of s*** and they'll fire it as such.

you can disagree all you like but you are still objectively wrong - in how its cooked (your preference is your preference) all you do is leave it on the grill as long as you can before it burns then bang it in the oven and forget about it until the rest of the order comes up. its going to turn to powder in your mouth so you wont ever be able to tell the difference.

edit:
You have to cook it long enough so all the pinkness is gone, but you wouldn't want it on there a minute longer or it is going to be excessively dry.
That's medium well, not well done. Well done is cooked to f*** and back, if you try and send out a steak with any moisture left most of the time it will get sent back by the mental case that ordered it in the first place. Medium well is still a dry piece of s*** to anyone with any taste.
12:14am 14/05/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19901 posts
I lunch at Mike's regularly. Great Steak and Ribs.
12:20am 14/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22699 posts
you can disagree all you like but you are still objectively wrong
No
01:31pm 14/05/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3697 posts
^
Hmm. Too bad many restaurants under do medium well then overdo medium. Im always scared of sending the steak back after watching the shenanigans of Waiting.
02:01pm 14/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7314 posts
100% brown- waste of a good quality steak

what's your point here, fpot?
02:50pm 14/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22701 posts
That medium-well still has pink in it.
02:55pm 14/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7315 posts
so what does that have to do with overcooking a well done steak?
03:00pm 14/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22702 posts
qmass said that a medium-well steak doesn't have pink in it. It does have pink in it. A well-done steak is the one with no pink, and for every second you cook it after the pinkness is gone you are overcooking it.
03:04pm 14/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7316 posts
every result there also states that juiciness is lost well before that point so you still seem confused
03:08pm 14/05/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22703 posts
Yep, as soon as a steak hits well-done literally all the juice is lost from the meat and only a withering soulless black husk remains.

My point is, if you want the steak to remain as juicy as possible, you cook it for the shortest time possible. This can mean taking it off at maximum pinkness but leaving it on long enough so it's hot in the middle for rare, or removing it from the grill as soon as the pinkness is gone to retain as much juice as possible for well-done. It really isn't a complicated concept to grasp.
03:13pm 14/05/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7317 posts
and yet you fail to
03:18pm 14/05/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2980 posts
What I have deduced from this thread is that everyone enjoys steak and everyone is wrong.
03:26pm 14/05/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4133 posts
Don't forget to rest your steak, it tires easily.
10:17pm 14/05/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5995 posts
What I have deduced from this thread is that everyone enjoys steak and everyone is wrong.

Well yeah. The first part is true of this thread, the last part is is true of every thread.
10:51pm 14/05/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35695 posts
just did the 1kg steak challenge at the norman, like it aint no thang.

they didnt cut my steak up for me and i had it medium (with mushroom sauce)

i look forward to the name dave boma (name of my indoor cricket team i was tehre with) being imortalised on the wall for evar.
09:46pm 15/05/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:46pm 15/05/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.