We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Taxing Soft Drinks
HonkyHanka
UK
14 posts
What the hell? The government has decided to put 20p on soft drinks in the UK so people don't get fat and won't by as much. Do you agree? I don't. I know kids and people shouldn't drink as much but the people are gonna get robbed. They won't stop buying the drinks, it will be the same except that the government will be few billions richer. The government says that they'll make use of the money for schools and hospitals...
11:12pm 24/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:12pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1432 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
11:21pm 24/02/13 Permalink
HonkyHanka
UK
15 posts
11:26pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1433 posts
11:28pm 24/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9936 posts
The government says that they'll make use of the money for schools and hospitals...

...and fighting pedophiles.
11:37pm 24/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5776 posts
Research has shown that taxes (increased cost of product) are a deterrent. But it needs to be substantial. 20cents wont do s***.
11:39pm 24/02/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3818 posts
Tax on alcohol and cigarettes, the next step would be junk food, bit by bit.
11:39pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2277 posts
I would like to see more drinks made like pepsi next where they are encouraged to at least reduce the amount of sugar in softdrinks. Most sugar free drinks taste like ass but a hybrid system is surely a step in the right direction.

Also Zilched slurpees are the sugarfree bomb!
11:40pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1739 posts
Kinda on topic, this is a great read on the NYT about the Junk Food industry, and how in 1999 all the CEOs of Kraft, Cadbury, etc etc, came together about a meeting on the obesity issue. It's a long read, but well worth it and very interesting.

I think it's a fair enough move to start taxing soft drink. If it's leading to more cases of diabetes etc, and the money isn't being wasted (unlikely :( ) then I support the move to invest in education and public health, even though I do drink my own fair share of coke.
11:53pm 24/02/13 Permalink
HonkyHanka
UK
16 posts
Soft drink companies say that they are trying to find a way to reduce sugar in soft drinks... It's parents fault? I mean, they shouldn't let children buy so many soft drinks.

But the thing is the government always say that they'll do this and do that but they actually never do it or in a long time. lol
12:23am 25/02/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3789 posts
Research has shown that taxes (increased cost of product) are a deterrent. But it needs to be substantial. 20cents wont do s***.

well, more like 50cents, this dude is from the UK

also, I dont see the soft drinks that most people think of as soft drinks (coke, pepsi, fanta etc) as the problem, it is the sugary drinks that are just as bad,

Ice'd teas, loaded with sugar,
vit waters
sports drinks,
flavoured "waters"
energy drinks*

the above are often picked by unkowning people as the healthier choice, maybe we should look at taxing those choices etc, al la alco-pops,

*check the sugar content on some of those energy drinks, those are loaded
03:17am 25/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7696 posts
Two questions:
1. Is the tax the same on a 600ml bottle, 375ml can and 2L bottle?
2. Are sugar free and diet soft drinks, such as Pepsi Max and Coke Zero exempt?
04:55am 25/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7697 posts
So looking at this story further, it's not 20p, it's 20%. Slight difference there.
08:28am 25/02/13 Permalink
evıs
Brisbane, Queensland
6624 posts
Luckily there is a 0 calorie alternative to satisfy all your thirst needs and it comes to your house through a pipe.
09:17am 25/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10795 posts
I'm all neauseuous and s*** just threw up, but this thread made me think: if they make the magazines so glossy and shiny I mean they are DESIGNED to make you wanna look at them, so it can't be rude to read a magazine over someone's shoulder on the bus because of the psychology.
Somehow apply to soft drinks
09:23am 25/02/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16704 posts
Luckily there is a 0 calorie alternative to satisfy all your thirst needs and it comes to your house through a pipe.

you don't drink softdrinks to quench your thirst.
09:31am 25/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1230 posts
Somehow apply to soft drinks

Thread somehow apply to Australian gaming.
09:33am 25/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5777 posts
hahah another classic thermite post.
10:03am 25/02/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
902 posts
Never understood why people drink soft drinks. Soft drinks are a waste of calorie intake that could otherwise be expended on booze.
12:04pm 25/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1232 posts
Never understood why people drink soft drinks. Soft drinks are a waste of calorie intake that could otherwise be expended on booze.

Was expecting fitness dribble... great post AA++++ would read again.
12:54pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13523 posts
Because its frowned on to drink booze when you're 6.
12:54pm 25/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1233 posts
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/23225000/ngbbs4e585e74c929e.jpg
12:59pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13524 posts
Yeh sugar for kids freaks me the f*** out. We avoid it.

Would love to get greazy's thoughts (or someone else with a with a hard science biology background) on Dr Lustig's links with high-sugar diets and metabolic syndrome. It comes to mind because he says that feeding your kids sugary drinks is essentially as damaging as booze, just doesn't get you wasted. His presentation about sugar being a poison has become pretty famous:

01:09pm 25/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5778 posts
Nature had a very good OP ED article about sugar and it's toxic affect (highly emotive language but it's OP ED).
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v482/n7383/full/482027a.html (actually, it's written by the same guy in your video Hogfather). The top comment in the article is very insightful and shows there are other factors in play.

I'd like to point out that fructose is a form of sugar (this is important because the US uses fructose) but I guess when people say sugar they mean glucose.

Personally I think sugar is amazing. F*** people and f*** them for trying to ban my sugar. But in truth that's not happening, people are realising that drinking nothing but coke all day is bad for you. I don't do that but I still enjoy my pop some nights. It boils down to a simple statement that has been echoed for ages now: Too much of anything is not good for you. In this case, sugar (all forms of it), should be eaten in moderation. But we already know this s***.

P.S I would like to mention that this isn't my field of expertise (actually I dont really have a field of expertise). You should do your own research. Visit ncbi.nlm.nih.gov click the drop down menu and select PMC (pubmed central) all articles are open access.
01:43pm 25/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8797 posts
It boils down to a simple statement that has been echoed for ages now: Too much of anything is not good for you. In this case, sugar (all forms of it), should be eaten in moderation. But we already know this s***.

This.
01:56pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13526 posts
You should do your own research. Visit ncbi.nlm.nih.gov click the drop down menu and select PMC (pubmed central) all articles are open access.

But lazy :(
02:05pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35219 posts

dear hoggy,

dont tell me how to raise my kids.

signed

spook
02:31pm 25/02/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9938 posts
Sugar is toxic like Co2 is pollution.

02:37pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Kiminoth
Perth, Western Australia
112 posts
You eat in excess of what your body can metabolise, you get fat.
You get fat, you become unhealthy.
You become too unhealthy, you welcome diseases and disorders into your life.
I have zero sympathy for overweight or obese people that develop issues linked to their weight.

But putting a tax on soft drinks isn't really hitting the nail on the head. Everyone can enjoy fast food, soft drinks and just about anything else and not gain weight. Perfect example; (IIFYM).
There should just be more education about moderation.
02:41pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2127 posts
lol UK

this straya mate
02:52pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7698 posts
I'd like to point out that fructose is a form of sugar (this is important because the US uses fructose) but I guess when people say sugar they mean glucose.

The problem with the term 'sugar' is that most people don't understand that there are different types of sugars, and they behave differently. An equally problematic issue is that food packaging laws don't require a distinction.

You'll generally find athletes to have a better understanding of glucose, sucrose, fructose and dextroce than most average people, but even then my understanding is far from perfect.
03:44pm 25/02/13 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8798 posts
The problem with the term 'sugar' is that most people don't understand that there are different types of sugars,

BS:
White
Brown
Raw
Castor
Icing
03:48pm 25/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5779 posts
The problem with the term 'sugar' is that most people don't understand that there are different types of sugars, and they behave differently. An equally problematic issue is that food packaging laws don't require a distinction.

You'll generally find athletes to have a better understanding of glucose, sucrose, fructose and dextroce than most average people, but even then my understanding is far from perfect.

Haha you've proven your own point. Dextrose IS glucose. It's another name for glucose. But moving on, what's really important is knowing how they affect your body, which is not simple.
06:09pm 25/02/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6430 posts
I'll feed your kids whatever i want damnit.

My candy truck isn't for pedofelia, it's to create that addiction which will sustain my candy industry !

Hooray!
07:15pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1296 posts
When will parents be responsible for their own children and when will adults be responsible for themselves?

I see kids in a supermarket asking their parents for a piece of fruit such as a Mango or a punnet of Raspberries and they look at the price and go "Nope too much, go grab a chocolate bar for $0.99", I see fat parents with fat children loading their trolley up with s*** food. Why should I have to pay more taxes on a bottle of soft drink I have once in a blue moon because idiots like I just mentioned are too retarded or cheap?

Maybe we should just tax the fat and lazy people just like smokers get taxed for being a smoker.

Tobacco is heavily taxed and that doesn't stop people smoking, they just buy the cheaper s***.

More education on sugar in food/drinks and let the people decide for themselves
10:12pm 25/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5783 posts
Tobacco is heavily taxed and that doesn't stop people smoking, they just buy the cheaper s***.
Yes it does. http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/14/2/86.abstract

More education, in general, is required.
11:57pm 25/02/13 Permalink
HonkyHanka
UK
19 posts
dear hoggy,

dont tell me how to raise my kids.

signed

spook
ii never told u how to raise your kids. lol i only said that it starts of with parents
05:57am 26/02/13 Permalink
HonkyHanka
UK
20 posts
I'll feed your kids whatever i want damnit.My candy truck isn't for pedofelia, it's to create that addiction which will sustain my candy industry ! Hooray!

Sorry i havent got kids. but yeah its the sweets and candy too. the sugar should be .reduced but the price shouldnt be changef . And if u open store, i might visit but with only 99 percent off!
06:04am 26/02/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5784 posts
Oi, retard, you're not hogfather.
12:46pm 26/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35228 posts
dis azn bird be craycray (and bad at reading and writing and comprehension).
12:54pm 26/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1235 posts
^ Just wait for the advertising... It will come... probably something passive... 'I used this website to purchase my sugar & tax free drinks, you guys should check it out'.

also lol @ the signature...

I may be an Asian but secretly I'm way cuter. And no I may seem stupid but I'm not dumb.

"I seem stupid, but I do not suffer from congenital deafness and am able to speak"
01:20pm 26/02/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3426 posts
I guess when people say sugar they mean glucose.

In the body yes, but it food no. Sucrose is the main form of sugar added to foods in aus. You're right though about USA, they have a variety of different forms of sugar they use instead of sucrose such as fructose and that HFCS.
01:26pm 26/02/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
369 posts
Taxing isn't the answer.

I say we bring back bullying, make the fatties feel bad about their poor dietry and exercise habits so that they get motivated to be left alone.

It's for their own good.
01:39pm 26/02/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13535 posts
Won't somebody tax something??!! Think of the childrens!!
01:55pm 26/02/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1236 posts
I say we bring back bullying, make the fatties feel bad about their poor dietry and exercise habits

Yeah but only after a certain age, when they can think for themselves a little instead of being force fed maccas by centrelink their parents
04:26pm 26/02/13 Permalink
HonkyHanka
UK
22 posts
^"I seem stupid, but I do not suffer from congenital deafness and am able to speak"

yeah that's kind of better lol... No really, I'm not dumb...
04:36am 27/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:36am 27/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close