Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Acreage around Brisbane
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8461 posts
After a very enjoyable ~5 years in Melbourne, wifey and I are looking to head back to Brisbane. We've lived in the city (Clayfield), the suburbs (Wavell Heights & North Lakes) and after spending 2 years in rainforest acreage (Mount Dandenong) we're looking for similar environments in Brisbane.

If Maleny wasn't an hour and a half away we'd probably go there but alas it's just too far. So we're narrowing our potential places to Mt Nebo, Mt Gorious and Samford Valley area -or- Kenmore Hills, Brookfield, Mount Crosby (in particular).

Does anyone live there, have family/friends there, etc that can give feedback on those places?
01:36pm 24/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:36pm 24/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4552 posts
I live on 2 acres in Bunya (between Albany Creek and Samford).
I also enjoy having cabled services :)

I've lived here for 20 years and love it. 10min to Albany Creek, Arana Hills or Samford.

A 1 acre block round here (rare as hens teeth) will set you back 490K or there abouts or are you looking for an established place?
01:46pm 24/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8462 posts
We're not too keen on building so it's probably a last resort choice. If we can get an established nice place that'd be great but we're also not put off by buying a s****** with a great piece of land and renovating it.

Are 1acre blocks rare because they are mostly bigger or smaller now?
01:52pm 24/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4554 posts
Any vacant land is rare these days. Especially acreage blocks this close.
Median price for established places round here is something like 890K. Why price range are you looking at?

My link wouldn't post above, but this is the net we get here.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2530280471.png
01:58pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35213 posts
northside :(
02:06pm 24/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8463 posts
ET: Ah ok, yeah we're seeing that with the "estate" areas opening up in Samford, which is not appealing at all. Top of the price range would be the $800k at the moment. We found a few places around Nebo for $450-500k that are great locations but s*** houses, hence the temptation to rip it down and renovate.

Spook: All the family is on the northside .. else I'd move in next door to spook HQ.
02:10pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35214 posts
lots of nice acreage propperty on the southside, plus we dont have the smell issues that the northsiders have.
02:13pm 24/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17851 posts
you just have breakins and theft issues
02:16pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13367 posts
Samford can have some gems in there, don't discount it. However they can get some awesome storms if you like that sort of thing.
02:17pm 24/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
578 posts
There is a bargain of a place at the moment at Lacies Creek - I went to the open yesterday.. It's 40 acres, Hilly Bush/forest. 2 main dwellings one of which has an awesome view of Moreton Bay & About 4 Sheds & power throughout. Craig Doyle are listing it at the moment. Asking is $375K Which IMO is worth it in Views alone... Too much work for me as I think it would be better levelling the 2 houses but it may be your thing?

Address 1 Inglis Court - Lacies Creek.

1 Inglis Court Lacies Creek
02:23pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21448 posts

and shootings, suicide, riots, and hoons
02:35pm 24/02/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17852 posts
old infi had his house broken into and car stolen yesterday morning

southside living
02:43pm 24/02/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19535 posts
the haters always wanna get ya
02:49pm 24/02/13 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
2370 posts
lots of nice acreage propperty on the southside, plus we dont have the smell issues that the northsiders have.

Its not always like that man.
Its just when a southerly is blowing.
03:08pm 24/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4555 posts

And race riots :p

Oh, and drive by shootings, dont forget that

Edit: Beaten by Whoop :p
03:40pm 24/02/13 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1759 posts
do you need to be within a certain distance from anywhere? like cbd etc? personally i'd go with brookfield, moggil, anstead, pinjarra hills etc, but i like the west side.
03:51pm 24/02/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4556 posts
do you need to be within a certain distance from anywhere? like cbd etc? personally i'd go with brookfield, moggil, anstead, pinjarra hills etc, but i like the west side.

^^^ Fan of traffic jams right there
03:54pm 24/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10486 posts
yeah you either go samford, or pinjarra hills if you like hills
04:43pm 24/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8464 posts
Wifey will be in the city, I'll probably be working from home / flying down to Melbourne.. with a view to get clients in Brisbane but who knows where they'll be.

What's Mount Crosby like?

Edit: Pinjarra Hills postcode is 4069 .. I'M SOLD!
04:49pm 24/02/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10794 posts
Bunya should be top of your list, otherwise anywhere from Camp Mountain through to Dayboro
If you're old and retiring you can go further than Dayboro
On the southside you could go Laidley or surrounding areas, check for flooding.
You could get lucky in the Gold Coast hinterland but that's getting a bit further away.
08:09pm 24/02/13 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6083 posts
mt crosby is lovely, road is pretty good and traffic is usually fine, except during floods if you want to go to ipswich as a bridge goes under but there is another way round just takes longer.
it is now under brisbane instead of ipswich so has the cheaper rates.

hilly in parts some good sized properties in there. i was on the other side of the brisbane river in karalee on an acre, lovely and quiet hardly got an crows at all.

Just bought another acre in park ridge south it's quiet as well and close to my work at eight mile plains technology park.
plus i got a ripper deal on it so worth checking out greenbank for 2-8 acre properties and park ridge south for 1-2 acres
08:45pm 24/02/13 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7687 posts

and bogans .. dont forget the bogans
09:59pm 24/02/13 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1760 posts
yeah moggill road sucks for those heading into the city (and then the western freeway and milton rd and coro drive too, haha) but i had in the back of my mind that ticman worked from home and it wouldn't be an issue. commuting at peak hour will be a pain in the neck from the west side, but if you don't have those issues, then that's where i'd prefer to be myself!
10:09pm 24/02/13 Permalink
cJay
Brisbane, Queensland
1329 posts
you just have breakins and theft issues and shootings, suicide, riots, and hoons

Lolz because it's true, southside is dogs balls.
10:23pm 24/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
579 posts
Ocean View is currently at the top of my list at the moment, unless I get posted in ACT...
10:32pm 24/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10487 posts
i'm gonna go unconventional here and also suggest Belmont
10:34pm 24/02/13 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2133 posts
have a couple of work friends who live at ocean view/mt mee. such a beatuiful place that. i dribble every time i go up there for coffee :/
12:12am 25/02/13 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7730 posts

There's a reason for lots of vacant land on the South side. Nobody wants to live there.

PS Northsyde rocks.

PPS Spooks smells.
03:18pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35220 posts
it is totes you bro that smells
03:37pm 25/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8465 posts
Ocean View looks nice but just a bit of an epic drive for wifey. Mt Crosby is still up there but so is Mount Nebo/Glorious as it avoids the Moggil run.
04:35pm 25/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10488 posts
What about something like elimbah? Smash through on the express train to the city
05:47pm 25/02/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8466 posts
Nah, parents live at Glasshouse.. too close for the "Oh we were just driving past" drop ins :)
05:52pm 25/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10489 posts
Haha ok
05:58pm 25/02/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10491 posts
what about whiteside and kurwongbah?
07:06pm 25/02/13 Permalink
BOHEMION
Brisbane, Queensland
580 posts
Pppft Bray Park, Warner and Petrie bogans... It sounds as if you are after something around Bridgeman Downs if you want a block of land and be that close to the city???

You could drive to Petrie and train it into the city from there?

It's a fair lifestyle change all around.
08:44pm 25/02/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2280 posts
Check out the rual areas around capalaba. Drove past there today and I would love to live there. Close to the bay and not too far from the city. Just not sure if it is in your price range though.
09:44pm 25/02/13 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8934 posts
Gumdale is awesome if you can afford it. Some of the closest acreage to the city.
10:06pm 25/02/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06pm 25/02/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.